5.0 out of 5 stars Best or Only Smartphone for $150
I am a late adapter when it comes to cell phones. So refrained from Iphones and vu/touch phones as one was mostly tied to a provider data plan or had to pay a premium for the phone itself.

If you dont care about 3g (read data plan 29.99 a month) or GPS there cannot be a better phone at this price range. Solidly built, some reviews complained about back cover. I...
Published on November 21, 2009 by Rajeev Sharma

1.0 out of 5 stars Software Failure
Since i have been using it, it has a software failure which locks its display (keyboard) and it is impossible to make it run. I already tried to update the software and to hard reset it, and it doesn't work yet.

I don't recommend to buy this cell phone ever.

I'm very dissapointed with nokia.
Published on December 8, 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS JUNK PHONE !!!, November 24, 2009
This review is from: Nokia 5530 XpressMusic Unlocked Phone with Touchscreen--U.S. Version with Warranty (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Bought this phone locally. Physically, it appears to be nice; right size, great features, etc, and looks good on paper...for the price. After a day, it froze on me while I was listening to an audio file. I had to remove/insert the battery to get it back up. Next day, froze again while I was in the middle of a phone call, and phone did not respond on any key I press. Again, removed and re-inserted battery. Next day, froze while I was playing a video file. Same solution...remove/reinsert battery.

I thought I bought a lemon, so went back to the store for an exchange. After 2 days, froze again while I was tinkering in the menu. And it routinely froze on me for the next 3 days.

Looked at discussion forums, and found that this "freezing" thing is an inherent design problem of the phone. At least, I was not alone. Decided to take it back for a refund.

I suggest you spend your money wisely, and buy other brand/model phones...BUT NEVER BUY THIS PHONE. This is a Nokia half-baked product, and you're lucky if you get a fix from them within 6 months.

My 2 cents. If, after reading this, you still decide to get this phone, Good Luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nealy perfect, January 31, 2010
For me this is a perfect phone now that I've updated the Symbian s60v5 to version 20.0.080. I was mostly after a wifi phone that I can use with skype or gizmo. It was a nice surprise that the nokia ovi site has lots of apps and games and does an excellent job of pushing e-mail and allowing free uploads etc. My current favorite apps are paint pad and nimbuzz, google maps, etc. What, really does a person do with 10,000 apps? The only con with the phone is that it is pretty easy to run several apps at once and draw down the battery. For listening to great sounding music, chatting with skype, and forwarding photos all at the same time this phone is great. The small size is a bonus most other smart phones are giants in comparison.

2.0 out of 5 stars good music player but not good samrtphone, December 14, 2009
I bought it during the thinksgiving, I expected that it is a great phone.But I felt disapponited.Even though it plays music very well and FM is clear, but it is not a good smart phone. There are some issues: the battery is really very fast to run out;the screen is easy to freeze and you have to open the back cover to reset the battery; the battery is too small to fit the phone, you can feel that battery shaking when you shake the phone. What can I do is that I insert a piece of paper inside to resolve this problem. Finally, under sunlight, the screen is not visible. Mang Cons here, I am asking me, " should I return it?"

5.0 out of 5 stars good product for better values, June 29, 2012
received it on time and the product is just like new with very good packing would buy the product again

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesnt work at all! worst nokia i have used, September 24, 2011
I think what i bought is now brand-new but kind of refurnished or something that has no good quality

1. battery life bad if charged by phone, and now phone can't recharge battery

2. screen locks itself every 5 seconds, even I set it to be 2 mins, especially when using the wifi

this is the worst nokia phone i have used

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy it, go get another smartphone around same price, January 14, 2011
My bro bought me this as my first phone, and i have to say, its the worst one. I might be saying this cause i got spoiled after i kept using my brother's high end samsung phones but yeah, this totally sucks compared to my friend's phones. Been using this for about 4-5 months, not too good.

Pros:
Great music playback
great speakers, wow they are amazing for a phone this small
cheap, got mines for around $150 here unlocked
Wifi internet, ooh lala
very nice stainless steel edges

Cons:
Software is terrible, omfg. its symbian.
phone freezes and restarts once in a while
battery can burn out itself in less than 3 hours unless you restart the phone. gotta be careful of that, because it gets real hot and then it runs out of batteries.
low ram, can barely load some of the forum pages on the phone
battery cover and battery will slip out if you drop it from a low height.
It takes a while sometimes just to load out the menus and stuff like that
really buggy, dont know why.

This phone is actually OK considering at the price i (more like my bro) bought it, but its not as nice as expected. a software update came about two weeks ago that fixed most of the software problems, but it seems prone to crashing and restarting at anytime. I love the music quality from the phone, not to mention the dual speakers that pump out absurdly loud but clear and crisp mp3(only reason why i dont use ipods). But, the battery cover and the occasional freeze or battery burn out really makes me want to slam this phone on the ground, get a jackhammer and just wreck it.

maybe more 2.5/5, but still not a good phone. go grab another one for around the same price. anyways ,this phone is outdated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Grade, August 30, 2010
Diego (Costa Rica) - See all my reviews
Not so intuitive as an iphone or android phone but works fine. Good definition (display) and sound.

3.0 out of 5 stars depends on what you need, June 30, 2010
my needs: text message, calendar/note function to replace my organizer, wi-fi to make syncing easier, no need for 3G or web surfing (next model up is more expensive, but includes 3G)

performance:

texting: I use the stylus most of the time to text. It is responsive. The screen responds to pressure rather than heat, so even with my long nails, I can answer calls and use the phone without the stylus. (the iphone screen isn't responsive to my fingers because of my nails)

the frustrating feature when texting is inserting an appostrophe, exclamation mark, or question mark. There's no direct way to do it on the keypad without exiting and going to the 'insert symbol' tab and finding the symbol...very slow...also, names of people don't automatically get capitalized, neither does the word "I", so my messages look grammatically off every time

file manager: still can't find where my photos are stored when I sync from my hard drive up to my phone.

camera: good, there's flash too which is nice

wi-fi: useful because I sync my calendar daily. Now I don't have to use a separate organizer for my contacts and calendar.

notes: limited space, only allows a very short note to be inputted

alarm/screen/other features: sometimes get stuck sideways and I have to restart the phone to get it back to normal, also, the alarm can't be turned off by just tapping the screen, it's pretty annoying in the morning when I have to restart the phone just to shut the alarm off.

overall, the phone is functional and serves it's basic purpose as organizer/phone/camera, but because of the software issues such as inputting question marks, faulty alarm, stuck screen, I cannot give it 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Defective product - Poor customer service, June 27, 2010
Hari Gangadharan (Livermore, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I was a Nokia fan and always had Nokia phones - this phone disappointed me and I decided not to purchase anymore Nokia phones - Goodbye Nokia!

My Problem with phone: The second week itself the headset stopped working. I should have returned my product right then. That was my mistake. Three months later, the phone started switching off whenever I make or receive a call. I sent it to the customer service paying the shipping charges and tracking options. The phone came back repaired. Even though I indicated that the headset is to be replaced or repaired, it came back as it is. Now I have a different complaint. The phone does not turn on! It freezes on the boot screen. I sent mails to Nokia through their website to which I get a reply that some one is looking into it and a manager would call me back but they never called. It is near impossible to escalate this issue. I do not see a point in spending more money shipping it back... Probably I will throw it and take that $250 loss. Nokia - listen -- You will never get any market share with this support.

Now the review: The phone looks like a cheap Chineese knockoff. Looks so plasticky with a plastic flimsy screen. The camera is very poor quality that it is impossible to take any useful pictures indoor. The plus points of the phone is nice size and the nice UI. In short: Software/OS: B+ Hardware: F

Pros:
Nice UI
Nice market place integration
Superb quality syncing software

Cons:
Poor hardware quality. Too many issues reported by users - freezes, reboots on call, etc
Poor camera quality - impossible to take pictures indoors
Poor screen quality - looks like a cheap Chineese knockoff
Poor battery life if you use email messaging
Very poor support

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia 5530 XpressMusic, June 24, 2010
Yhovan Saez (Los Teques, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
Great product! the only complain I have is the battery life, it last only one day, as the most of the smartphones. If you check frecuently the internet as emails, msn, or some other app, the battery will last only one day... but in general it's a great product!

Rate and Discover Movies