5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insights!
Published 8 months ago by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked the book well enough - the information about how ...
I am a huge baseball fan and have been a fan of Nolan Ryan since he was a rookie. I liked the book well enough - the information about how he stayed in such amazing shape as he aged was really interesting - but it isn't particularly well written. The author did a lot of research and interviewed a great number of people. I found their comments more enlightening than...
Published 2 days ago by B. B.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insights!, June 23, 2014
Paul (Northridge, California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nolan Ryan: The Making of a Pitcher (Hardcover)
Have read several books about Nolan Ryan...this one is by far the most insightful. I grew up watching him and was always a huge fan, especially back in the mid-70's when he pitched for the Angels. Reading about his amazing accomplishments brought back a lot of memories- including where I was and what I was doing when he pitched some of the memorable games chronicled by Rob Goldman. I was fortunate to have been at Anaheim Stadium when Ryan threw his third and forth no-hitters, and it was neat to learn about the behind the scenes details that led up to those two performances.

Highly recommended reading for anyone that's a Nolan Ryan fan or is just interested in learning more about the guy and his amazing career (26 years, seriously?!) . Many of his accomplishments/records will likely never be approached, and Rob Goldman does a great job of weaving Ryan's baseball career with his upbringing and family life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nolan Ryan:The Making of a Pitcher by Rob Goldman, July 13, 2014
In April 1975/76 we were at Angel Stadium. Our son, and his dad were in the dugout prior to the game with Detroit . Our son had leukemia and we were at the stadium when Mr. Ryan pitched. The rest of our family was in Mr. AUTRY' S box seats. We have a picture of our son with Nolan Ryan, Rusty Stubbs and Joe Lahoud gave him his personal bat. All of the team members made him feel like he was # 1.

It has been exciting reading this book and finding out what a great man Nolan was and is.
Our son passed away May 4th 1976 and visiting the dugout was a special memory for all of us.
Thanks for writing this book so everyone can know how special he is to his family and friends. I was happy to know he had a sense of humor. Laughter makes life a better place to live with.
Thanks again for this wonderful book.
Pearl

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, May 19, 2014
Joe Podbielan (Castro Valley, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
found it interesting Nolan went through so much to arrive at such a good place in the annals of baseball. Makes you wonder how many really good players are left out because the powers that be do not give them the time and instruction they need to excel. There are so many that get left out

5.0 out of 5 stars Nolan Ryan: One of the Greatest Pitchers, August 2, 2014
In my spare time as a kid growing up in the big city of Chicago, I would take my baseball glove, and in tennis shoes, sport shirt, and blue jeans go out into my back yard and throw my tennis ball to my heart's contend against the garage wall—a wall 20 ft high, approx. 50 ft long and joining an apartment building to a two story coach house in the rear.
I loved baseball and always dreamed of being a great baseball pitcher before 35000 fans. Listening to the crowd cheering me on is exhilarating. Fast ball, curve, and junk ball, I loved to strike them out. No!!! I never made it to the big league, but it was fun to dream.
On the pitcher's mound in my back yard I often thought about other great pitchers like Nolan Ryan, and that is why I came to love this book titled: Nolan Ryan: The Making of a Pitcher.
In this biographical sketch of Nolan Ryan, baseball fans will learn about his life when he entered the major league to his retirement.
Truly, Nolan Ryan deserves the respect he gets from the many baseball fans who grew to like him as well as his fellow teammates. And why not? He has an impressive pitching record—100 mph fastball, knee buckling curve ball, 5700 strike outs, and more. Wow! No wonder he has gone down in baseball history as one of the greatest pitchers of all time. And thousands of fans get excited every time they watch him play.
Rob Goldman, author, has done an excellent job in sharing with baseball fans of all ages this insightful baseball story, I strongly recommend it, give it five stars, and I'm Marvin P. Ferguson, author of BOYS ON THE GOLD COAST.

5.0 out of 5 stars the man, the legend, August 23, 2014
Brian Maitland (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
What a pleasant surprise this biography was. Given Nolan Ryan's unique pro career path--starts off in New York wins a World Series but has yet to become the Ryan Express. Moves to California and lights it up but with the Angels not the higher profile Dodgers. Moves onto his native Texas where he is still a star with the Astros but becomes truly a legend with the Rangers.

I am so fascinated by his career arc and his time with the California Angels is what I really wanted to learn about. Learn about all that I did as this author (who was the Angels' batboy back in Ryan's day and became his good friend) really knew his subject well and can write worth a storm. I've put his Once They Were Angels on the backburner and now I'm definitely going to pick that up seeing how well this guy writes.

Learning about Ryan's early adoption of training and being so open to new ideas such as using the long toss to warm up and keep his arm in shape, running foul line to foul line sprints over distance endurance type lengths and weight training especially focusing on his legs realizing a power pitcher needs strong legs even more than a strong arm.

It's also crazy to learn how with two of his record seven no-hitters that Ryan had terrible warmup sessions in the bullpen prior to those games.

The other great thing about this bio is the author focuses in on what we want to learn about--Ryan's MLB career. He finds the right balance in just giving us enough of his childhood and post-playing career as a sort of appetizer and dessert respectively to the main dish.

So, if you did not already have great respect for one of the true greats in baseball and sports in general, you will after this great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Express!, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Nolan Ryan: The Making of a Pitcher (Hardcover)
I'm half way through the book, and I've already decided to reread it when I'm finished. This book, by far, is the best book on Nolan Ryan I've ever read. The more I read the more I can't wait to read, it's that good. There are a few punctuation mistakes, but, aside from that, Rob Goldman has written a book that allows the reader to relive Ryan's career, but it also introduces you to Nolan Ryan, the man. You also get to meet Ruth Ryan, the fuel that kept Nolan Ryan going. And still does! The book reads like novel. You can't wait to find out what happens next. BUY THIS BOOK! AND READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 9, 2014
What a pitcher!!!! He is missed as a part of the Texas Rangers and will be for a long time. He not only was a great pitcher, but a great person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts Nolan Ryan's Amazing Successes Into Perspective, March 24, 2014
This review is from: Nolan Ryan: The Making of a Pitcher (Hardcover)
This biography does what no other has: It puts Nolan Ryan's awesome successes in a developmental perspective. And it does this on several levels. We come to know Nolan as a youth and as a man, husband, athlete in his youth and later, and as a family man and Texan. All play such important roles in enabling Nolan to become both the great person and great success he was and continues to be. I get the feeling reading this that only someone who knew Nolan personally, as the author does, could have written this book because so many of the insights are not to be found in the public domain of sports news or other books. By interviewing a huge number of Nolan's coaches, friends, family members, teammates and adversaries, Mr. Goldman has woven a unique history that speaks to the psychology of success Nolan Ryan (& Ruth Ryan) style! This book is a most welcome contribution. On so many levels it helps to explain the character that lives behind greatness in sports and in life!

5.0 out of 5 stars can't wait for the update that follows his second term with the Astros!, August 5, 2014
I was always a Nolan Ryan fan. In 1979, I saw virtually all of his starts at The Big A...and was heartbroken when he left for the Astros. How can you not like his determination, dedication and competitiveness? This book underscores all of that. He has been baseball's second John Wayne - after Ted Williams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am currently reading this wonderful story of my absolute favorite ball player, January 7, 2015
Am currently reading this wonderful story of my absolute favorite ball player. The book just goes into the details of his life and truly emulates the making of a pitcher. That it gives an insight into his personal life from the beginning of his marriage is precious to me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Nolan Ryan: The Making of a Pitcher
Nolan Ryan: The Making of a Pitcher by Rob Goldman (Hardcover - April 1, 2014)
$26.95 $20.31