5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm
Published 20 months ago by top knot

I got two rolls, which should have been enough, but there are regularly spaced parallel marks running down either end of each roll, so to get the windows to look nice, I had to cut off 6 inches along each end, making the roll more like 2 ft X 6.5 ft.

My windows ended up looking really nice, but it took a lot of time and effort.

My suggestions for...
Published 7 months ago by Emily Q

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, December 19, 2012
top knot "top knot" (Isla Blanca, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Non-Adhesive Frosted Privacy Window Film- 3 ft x 6.5 ft- White - WDF (Misc.)
How can you NOT review a company which sends a charming free gift and asks if you would please review their product? Nice. This was our third purchase of a window film, and this product was easyto apply, and can be moved around, removed, reapplied, etc. It provides total privacy, but does not seem to diminish natural light very much. Just be sure to read the directions and use a straight edge to cut--it requires very straight cuts to look its best. Trimming after you've applied it isn't the way to do it. Do it right from the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, affordable and satisfied, April 15, 2013
I was initially skeptical to pursue frosted window films in general but after reading many good reviews on this I thought I would give it a try since I had two windows at the time I placed my purchase that I wanted to apply this to for privacy but to still have enough light come through.

The film is pretty durable and is very easy to install. It came with a squeegee to allow for pushing bubbles out that is created during installation.

My installation notes:

- Make sure that you apply enough water to the window prior to film installation as this would make it much easier to get the bubbles out and not have them appear days later after installation.
- The instructions called for cutting the film roughly to size BUT leaving about an inch in excess on 2 of the adjacent sides. What I did for my second window installation that was MUCH easier was to use the factory-cut edges for at least 2 sides of the film (take the left side and top for instance) and an inch-or-so excess on the right and bottom sides. BEFORE MAKING ANY CUTS move the film into place that puts it flush with the top and left sides (be sure to get rid of any protruding deficiencies out from the edges of the window and the window-frame or else over time it will cause your film to pull away from the window drying out the water that was behind it then making it difficult to cling back to the window - for instance there was adhesive that protruded out and I cut it out carefully ). When you have your film in place take a sharp utility blade and put it in the top-right corner and take the squeegee and use it to create a straight-edge for cutting AND pressing the blade into the corner of the window and window-frame - this makes cutting the film EASY but the blade MUST be sharp because you don't want the blade to snag the film and you also don't want to apply too much pressure to cut into the window or window frame! As you begin to cut move the blade and squeegee down at the same time - be sure to keep pressing the squeegee into the corner that continues to cause the blade to be flush to the corner of the window (BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT YOUR WINDOW FRAME!!!!). When you get to the bottom-right corner, roughly finish your cut carefully so that the excess film doesn't pull the film off your window. Use the same technique to finish your cut needed for the bottom and this provided a clean cutout for me, if done carefully and right. Then use the squeegee (with enough pressure) to push the air bubbles out.
- Obviously, use something to dry the excess water from the window/door after you finished squeegeeing-out the bubbles.

1/14/14 UPDATE:
I applied the film in February '13 and it STILL looks fantastic with no visible bubbles or any separation of the film from the window/window-frame.

5.0 out of 5 stars affordable and easy, May 22, 2012
I bought it to use it for my bathroom window of the apartment that I just moved into. Price was affordable for the amount of film. In my opinion, the best thing about it is that it was VERY simple to install. It's non-adhesive so if you're like me and you make mistakes for the first few times, it's not a problem because I easily took it off and reapplied it multiple times. The little orange applicator/flattener was useful too because I don't see any air bubbles. The cutting part was more difficult but as you long as you align it against a ruler, you should be able to cut it straight. I've used this for about a week now and it's great. It fogs up everything so I have no worries when I'm showering. But it also lets in enough light in the mornings to brighten my mood.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but rolls have lots of imperfections, so you need extra. With a lot of patience, the results look great., January 2, 2014
Emily Q (San Francisco CA) - See all my reviews

My windows ended up looking really nice, but it took a lot of time and effort.

My suggestions for installation:
Not included tools:
spray bottle with water inside
Small plastic spackle knife with a square corner (to get into the corners of the window)
window cleaning fluid
fiber-free cloth
absorbent cloth
xacto knife (and several blades if you are doing a lot of windows)
cutting mat
measuring tape
sturdy thick metal ruler/yardstick for cutting straight edges
newspaper or some piece of cheap paper as big as your window

1. Measure your window. Be as exact as possible.
2. Cut a sheet of newspaper to the exact measurements of your window
3. But the newspaper over the window. Modify your exact measurements, noting where you need to add or remove material.
4. Cut another sheet of newspaper to the newly corrected exact measurements of the window
5. Repeat 3 and 4 until you have it right.
6. Use the final newspaper sheet as basically a stencil for cutting the actual film. Make sure that there are no blemishes on the part of the film that you are using—there were a lot of blemishes along the edges of my rolls.
7. Carefully wash your window with the fiber free cloth. The corners are especially important.
8. Separate a corner of the film from its plastic backing and put your finger in there
9. Spray the window with water. Put a lot of water on there, and then quickly separate the film from the plastic and put it into place. The faster you go, the more water will still be on the upper parts of the window and that will make the film easier to slide around into place
10. Use the included squeegee to get air/water bubbles out
11. Use the spackle knife along the edges to get out remaining bubbles. If you have a stubborn bubble along an edge, instead of trying to get it to go out the nearest edge, try pushing it towards a different edge.
12. Use the regular cloth to dry off the window and sill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps out viewers - lets in sunlight, May 19, 2013
I really like the film - my door faces the morning sun so I get air bubbles that I need to smooth out all the time, but that's not the films fault! Also make sure your surface is really super clean - one finger print or dog hair will be magnified 1,000 times after this is up!

Good Product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Product, great privacy keeping, October 9, 2012
I am very satisfied with the product. It keeps the privacy of my bedroom without sacrifice the amount of light shine through the window. A clean edge cut make it looks like a real frosted window! A little tricky at the beginning since there is an extra layer of thin film you have to pill off on the smooth side before the film can self stick to the glass. The film is thick but stretchable, an extra helper might needed to hold the conner of the film in place while you use the scraper to squeeze out the air. And I also suggest that an supper accurate cut out from the roll isn't necessary, since after the scraping process, the edge won't be straight. A sharp razor blade is recommended to "final cut" the exceed film and the resulting will be a clean, frosted glass window.
I put mine on the outside face of the window and no matter rain or shine, it stays firmly on. And it's easy to remove if you don't need it anymore, just lift a conner and pill. Recommend to all who want to add some privacy to their room and don't want a blinder or curtain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 18, 2012
I put this on my bathroom window that overlooks a street. Last night I went outside to see just how much privacy it offered and I could not see any details of things in my bathroom, even with all the lights on. It was super easy to put on the window, and unless you look very, and I mean very, closely you would think the window was made frosted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be sure you check "smoke" or "white" before you order., January 14, 2013
This product is great. It's relatively easy to install and I'm totally pleased with the quality. However, I did not realize that it came in two colors and that I had ordered "smoke" when I wanted "white." Eager to install the film, I put it up at night and didn't realize that I had ordered the darker color by accident and that the opacity is around 85% (15% transparency). I was hoping for more like 50-60% opacity.

I've emailed the distributor to ask about an exchange, no response after a week.

So: great product, installation was fine with one person, double check what you're ordering before you commit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, January 15, 2013
Fairly thick, easy to install and like the way it looks. Went outside to try to look in and couldn't see anything in great detail

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for inside-of-house privacy glass, April 4, 2014
Colorado (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
We have two French doors comprising a total of 20 small window panes that lead to our master bedroom. We wanted to add a bit more privacy to these, so after reading Amazon reviews, purchased this product.

The size of the sheet we received was actually 3" wider and a few inches longer than advertised. Due to the repetition of the window panes being applied to, I eventually very carefully cut out sheets to the exact size of the panes to allow easier installation.

Notes:
+ As others have already said, more water does help with bubbles (we had trouble with bubbles, but they are very hard to see on these inside windows fortunately). Don't go short when spraying water on the windows.
+ Unpeeling the backing can only be done at the corners, and sometimes takes a bit of patience. It is very easy to take off and reset any area that does get bubbles once it's cut properly.
+ Trimming on the window with a razor blade was harder than I expected it to be. It helps to use a straight edge while doing this.
+ I'll also second that it would be very helpful if the manufacturer would place grid lines on the backing, to allow an easier manner for doing straight cuts (for now, I used a right angle).
+ The privacy is complete. Light comes through fine. Behind the sheer curtains we have it's hard to tell this is even there, except there's no way to see anything inside.
+ It is nice that if you ever decide you don't like this, removing it won't take long. Nothing permanent if the "look" doesn't turn out (ours did fortunately).

Non-Adhesive Frosted Privacy Window Film- 3 ft x 6.5 ft- White - WDF