‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars "Non Zombie"... an interesting start to the trilogy... 4 Stars, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
"Non Zombie" is the first book of a trilogy by author Garrett Robinson.
This Kindle e-book was a 205 Kb download and sold for $2.99 at the time of writing this review.

Please Note: the author provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers

Most of the world has succumbed to the Zombie Apocalypse. So Cliff, his wife Cheryl and young son Luke are left to fend for themselves... and are doing reasonably well, given the circumstances. That is until Cliff is accidentally bitten one day on a supply run to the local 7-11. However, rather than being turned into your typical brain dead, man-hunting Zombie, Cliff retains his human mind and despite his 'physical' changes (his 'Z' looks, his shuffling gait and his inability to talk) he's determined to still provide for and protect his family.

End Spoilers

Some thoughts on "Non Zombie"...

The Pros:
1.) a Zombie novella viewed from the eyes of one of the infected.

2.) a story that was generally well written (see Cons 2. below) and was both an easy and interesting to read.

3.) takes an off-beat, humorous approach to many incidents and conversations.

4.) lots of Z encounters that are nicely spaced giving the tale a good sense of pace and timing.

5.) cover art... attractive and appealing.

6). a decisive moment at the end of book 1 that will obviously have a bearing on the subsequent book(s).

The Cons:
1.) prolonged chapter headings giving a synopsis of what was to follow in that particular chapter... not sure the rhyme or reason for this... kind of ruined the suspense.

2.) repetitive phrasing... 'the world went (or 'had gone') all to s***' used 14 times in the course of this short work. (verified by the Kindle search function). A writing faux pas that I see so often in new indie writers... where were the editors?

Conclusion:
A Zombie novel told from a different viewpoint and with a touch of humor.
Other than the two concerns mentioned above, a very good read... I'd read more of this trilogy.

As it is... 4 Stars.

Ray Nicholson
raynicholsonsreviews@hotmail.com

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice twist, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded the story on a whim, and it was well worth it. Garret claims to have no editor, but I only found one grammatical error. The story has a clean, steady flow from start to finish. The "hero" is your average gamer geek who doesn't really start to live until after he's already dead. I believe the story is worth anyone's time to read, and that the series should be worth following. All in all good job Garret.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice story to read on a break., January 8, 2013
MAD (Alaska for today) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
I loved the serial videos about the Guild, and this was kind of reminiscent of that except on a post apocalypse scenario. I gave it four stars cause because there are better ways to conclude this part of a series than " to be continued."

5.0 out of 5 stars Nontastic!!! So worth a read, I loved it!, February 8, 2013
J. Adam Bailey "Words are cool." (Tehachapi, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
Okay, so I bought Non Zombie on a lark after hearing the author on the Self Publishing Podcast. Garrett's a genuinely funny guy and I liked his perspective on writing, how he came up with the NZ story-line as well as his filthy mouth; so I threw down actual cash for the book and I'm so glad I did. NZ is f'n hilarious, seriously. I fell in love with Cliff, an adorably obese Twinkies loving, post-online gamer/geek who adores his wife and is a great father. Together, Cliff and his wife have been preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse for the past six years. They were ready for anything, but not what happened next.

This is a great story and so worth a read. I'm already onto NZ 2 and will devour every book that comes out in the series. Mr. Robinson knows how to write humor and I had a lot of fun laughing my ass off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Story by This Author, January 11, 2013
Rob Writer "Book Junkie" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
I had already thoroughly enjoyed Garrett's trilogy set of novellas - "Touch", and was curious to see what his latest offering was going to be like. I am not a big fan of zombie stories, though I do like post-apocalyptic stories, so I thought I'd give it a try. Much to my surprise the author takes the zombie genre and fills the story with humor and parody. I found myself laughing out loud at several points. It's a rousingly fun romp with our non-zombie, non-hero type as he deals with his life and family. A highly recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie Dad, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
LOVED IT!! I'm a Zombiehead, I read anything zombie, seen all the movies... Even as a zombie a husband and fatherhood continues.. Garrett Robinson has his head in the right mode for zombie comedy/horror.. will continue reading all his books.. Thanks for a different view on Zombiehood.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hip page-turner, screen scroller, laugh fest!, July 9, 2014
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
Lots of laughs and plenty of appropriate not-quite-dead-yet tension in this fun little thrill ride. A nice relationship piece as well...

4.0 out of 5 stars I prefer longer books but this is a great exception, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
While I really enjoyed my time with the book, that time was short. I picked it up while traveling by train and finished it when I got home. While on the one side it's evidence that I got really into it and kept reading, I also felt incredibly sad it was over so quickly. I must say that the story really surprised me and was way better than I expected. Except for a grammatical error or two (those threw me out of the flow a little), I loved the story and the characters and caught myself laughing quite a few times. Overall the book is great and I'm going straight to the next part!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessarily Vulgar, but Enjoyable Read, September 19, 2013
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book a lot, and would have rated it higher, except that there was an unnecessary amount of vulgarity that distracted from the storyline too much. Swearing has it's place, and when used in speech or thought-patterns then it doesn't really matter how much you use as it informs you of the character, but there is rarely if ever a need for it in the narrative and when it is used it should be used with effect and not as a crutch as it seemed to be here. The story itself was quite enjoyable, though, once you get past the distractions, if a bit predictable. The protagonist isn't particularly likeable but becomes more so as the story progresses (and his condition becomes worse) and while a bit one-dimensional the antagonist does a good job filling his role and is thoroughly despicable. You can definitely see where he's coming from right up to the end, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Grails on our Podcast, July 14, 2013
This review is from: Non Zombie (Kindle Edition)
This book was reviewed by our podcast and awarded Four Grails (our rating unit).

What we liked:
- Very funny
- Interesting premise
- Good light read
- Well written

What we didn't like:
- Unnecessary, excessive profanity
- Short

The podcast can be found at this feed link:
www(dot)siegeperilousreviews(dot)com/feed

Or streamed directly from our website at:
www(dot)siegeperilousreviews(dot)com/episode-04-non-zombie-by-garrett-robinson/