Non fantasy books for a 6 year old girl

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 29, 2009 1:59:10 AM PDT
A. HOCK says:
My 6 year old girl has read Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. She is now reading Little House on the Prairie she loves the book very much. I would like her to read more non fantasy books like the Little House of the Prairie. Any recommendations ?

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 8:44:13 AM PDT
T. Teegarden says:
My six year old girl has also read those books. She also enjoys the Boxcar Children series and all the Beverly Cleary books. Those may not seem as classy or classic, but I think it allows her to enjoy understanding 99% of what she is reading. No matter how efficient a reader, a child cannot fully understand the context of older texts.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 10:51:04 AM PDT
goonius says:
To Teegarden: I disagree strongly that children do not understand what they read in older texts. My 3 year old loves Charlotte's Web, and I think, for the most part she "gets it." She loves to play out Charlotte's Web with her Playmobil people and Schleich pig as Wilbur. People are way too into this whole dumbing down idea. Give kids a little credit.

However, I do second Beverly Cleary. Start with "Ramona Quimby, Age 8", and go from there. All of them were very entertaining for me at that age. I'm already collecting these for my daughter. Also I remember liking "the Mouse and the Motorcycle" also by Cleary.

William Steig has a few short novels our daughter enjoys: "The Real Thief", "Abel's Island", and we've recently started on "Dominic" with our 3 year old. Some of the language is "fancy", but they're pretty good books.

Seems I recalls reading Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voight somewhere in that age range (maybe a coupe years older) and enjoying it. There is an entire series following that one.

"Tuck Everlasting" by Natalie Babbit is an amazing book that has always stayed with me, and I think would certainly be age appropriate.

If she enjoyed "Charlotte's Web", she might also like "Stuart Little" also by EB White.

"The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" by CS Lewis was one I loved as a kid. I was kind of lukewarm on the rest of the series back then.

"Anne of Green Gables" seems like one that might be similar to others she enjoys.

I know there's a million more I'm not thinking of just now, but maybe some of these will give you some direction. Since my daughter's only three, it's been decades since I've read most of them, so you might want to read reviews and check for age-appropriateness, but all are treasured favorites in my mind, and if they are not appropriate for a six-year-old, surely would be in the next two or three years.
Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 29, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 24, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Charlotte's Web (50th Anniversary Retrospective Edition)
Charlotte's Web (50th Anniversary Retrospective Edition) by Garth Williams (Hardcover - May 1, 2002)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (935)