5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting and well-designed
Very well-designed game - everything is done right: the level design; the short but complete tutorials; the level difficulty progression; intuitive controls; unlimited undo; unobtrusive request for review only after you've completed all levels. If this was truly done by one guy in his spare time, I hope he makes enough off this one to do more.

As for the game...
Published 23 months ago by David Tootill

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think
I like the game but still trying to figure out how to make 4 become 2 and become four again
Published 20 months ago by k. shinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting and well-designed, November 18, 2012
David Tootill (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trainyard (App)

As for the game itself, it consists of drawing track on a grid of squares to route colored engines from their source to their destination. As you progress, you can merge engines to change color (e.g. blue and yellow make green) or split engines into two. Puzzles are rated from two to eleven stars, and the later ones are difficult enough (tricky to move those trains around in the space available without tracks running into each other) that you feel a real burst of satisfaction on reaching the solution. Highly recommended for anyone who likes puzzle games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive and Fun!, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
Once you beat that level you've been working on for the last 10-20 minutes you feel like a genius, or at least I did. highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad game, but the hype is a little much..., November 12, 2012
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
I must say I was a little surprised at all of the 5-star reviews over this game. Trainyard is not a bad game by any means but all of this hype may raise your expectations a little too high. Trainyard is a puzzle game and a slow paced game at that. This is not a game that requires fast reflexes so it is accessible for most skill levels. I had no problems playing this on my Kindle Fire and the touch controls worked most of the time. When they didn't work I was able to repeat my move and it worked the second time. This won't set you back because as I noted, you don't need twitch reflexes for this game.

In Trainyard you literally just draw traintracks so that your trains go to stations of a matching color. Then you push a button and watch the little trains travel along your paths. If everything works out you earn stars which unlock subsequent levels. That's it. The challenge comes from drawing multiple tracks around obstacles and timing the trains so that they go to the correct station. For example, an orange train and a purple train may share a section of track so you design the track so that it switches and leads both trains to the correct station.

There is a color-blind mode which is nice. Trainyard also has achievements with Amazon Gamecircle if that matters to you. I just find Trainyard to be a little too slow for my tastes. If you're looking for a more cerebral challenge or know someone who has difficulty with fast paced games then this would be a good pick up. I was tempted to give Trainyard 3 stars but I am leaving 4 stars because there isn't anything wrong with the game and it accomplishes what the developers wanted to do. It's just not my ideal game.

5.0 out of 5 stars great puzzles; doozies at the end., November 17, 2012
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
Great challenge progression. Lots of number principles can be learned here. I feel like I can build computer circuits after going through this game :). If you extended the puzzles, you could help computer science students with logic gates courses :).

4.0 out of 5 stars ( Fun and addictve. Not working though after update to 4.2, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
Trainyard is an entertaining diversion. I have enjoyed playing but after the recent update to Jellybean 4.2 on my Nexus 7 I only receive an error about unfortunately having to close immediatly after opening. I reinstalled, but no change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Puzzler, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
This is a great puzzler. It starts out very easy and becomes harder. Eventually it takes some thinking to figure out the right pathways.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, February 10, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent puzzle game, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
But the app closes automatically after every 6 or so puzzles. I like this variation of the flow style game. I think it's a nice innovation to the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick fun, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
It was fun when I started playing it and it kept my attention for an hour or so but I just didn't have any desire to go back and play it afterward. Not a bad game, just not one of the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Concept, but will become boring quickly, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Trainyard (App)
Good concept but will become boring quickly. The game is limited in depth. I recommend this game only for individuals who want a quick game or those under age 12.

Trainyard