5.0 out of 5 stars Best ink I've used
Published on August 28, 2009 by Raybor

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother if you are using a Lamy ink cartridge. Also, not waterproof?
I enjoy writing with fountain pens, and use the Lamy safari fountain pen, along with their ink converter cartridge which can be filled with the ink of your choosing. After reading the reviews (and also because I am a bit of a Conrad fan) I purchased this bottle of ink.
My results with it have been less then ideal (all of the following results are observed from notes...
Published on December 7, 2010 by koko lopez

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ink I've used, August 28, 2009
Raybor (No. Haven, Ct.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noodlers Ink 4.5Oz Heart Of Darkness W/Pen (Office Product)
I've been using ink pens since a long time before ballpoints & gel pens were even thought of. The more popular inks on the market were products of the pen manufacturers who seemed to devote their engeneering energies into the pens themselves, thus most inks were just functional. The only waterproof writing ink I remember was blue/black in color, & did lighten significantly when doused in water. Of course, there was India Ink with its deep black, etc, but it didn't function well at all in fountain pens. A friend introduced me to Noodler's Heart of Darkness, & I'm hooked. It's deep black color & resistance to water, etc, are outstanding. I especially like its non-feathering characteristic, which becomes more obvious when writing on flow grade & some recycled papers. Finally, the flow of ink from the pen nib is smooth and flawless. Without doubt......the best ink I've used. I prefer Noodler's eliminate the free pen, & thus reduce the cost of the ink a couple of bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars black as stalin's soul, October 18, 2008
i'm an illustrator, concentrating in oil - but eventually hitting all media. i bought the Noodler's on a tip from a pen and ink buddy. i use the ink in a fine tipped fountain pen. the flow is smooth and steady. the coverage is very good, especially compared to my old india ink standard. it dries quick enough with minimal smearing when dry. i have found a bit of pigment release when i go over the ink drawing with watercolor, but it isn't a waterproof ink, so that is to be expected. overall, a very good ink. i'm planning to buy more noodler's products - brown, green... mix up that drawing effect a bit, especially with the watercolor over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ink and Pen!!!, January 7, 2011
History:

I have a Pelikan M800 fountain pen which I filled with Legal Lapis that I bought from pendemonium (3oz for $19 + shipping which come out to be around $27). The ink is nice bulletproof and all. Chartpak (US authorized repair for Pelikan) does not recommend using Noodler's ink because it does not lubricate the piston. I almost use up all my 3oz bottle and the pen works perfectly. No clotting or anything and the ink is fine. I decided not to go back to pendemonium for ink because of the price and shipping cost. Here I am with amazon Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

The Ink:

It is dark. Very dark. It is the blackest of black. I read a lot of reviews about this ink from Fountain pen forum and even with bleach/acetone/alcohol won't do anything to it. However, you'll see some smear. It's NOT because the ink coming off the page. It's the ink that was not absorb by the paper. Noodler's Bulletproof means bulletproof. PERIOD.

The Pen:

Really? a free pen for a 4.5oz ink bottle? What's with the removable nib with ink ball tip? This must be a joke. I filled it with the new ink and wait a bit. OMG!!! This fountain pen is FREE????? HAHAHA I love it so much more than my Pelikan M800. It is so smooth. I have EF nib with my pelikan and it is so broad compare to the nib size of this free pen. I wanted a fine writing instrument and I got this for free. I am so going back to buy another bottle because of this free pen. Seriously, don't underestimate the pen. I write a lot and hate my Pelikan M800 when it run out of ink in a middle of a meeting or lecture. Now I have this free pen with a HUGE ink tank. No need to get a back up pen. Love you Noodler.

The Price:

4.5oz for $21 with FREE SHIPPING. PLUS a free pen. I don't know where else you would get such a deal.

Other thoughts:

Some says that Noodler's bulletproof ink is too thick and can easily clot your pen. Especially Pelikan with piston filling system because they require some lubrication. Cut the crap, I have Pelikan M800. Noodler's ink filled for the last year and no damage and no clotting. I don't even clean my pen regularly. However, if I do clean it, I use cold water (hot water can take off more than just ink, not recommend). Also, people says that bulletproof ink can stain the interior of your pen. I barely notice such stain even without cleaning. I guess you must leave your ink for years in the pen to notice the stain. I probably clean my pen before then. Good luck guys. Hope this review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black at last!, May 24, 2009
Noodler's Heart of Darkness black bulletproof ink. I write my personal journal in 'Composition' wide ruled notebooks. The ones I use have 100 sheets bound between two hardboard covers which gives me 200 pages. Last year I used two of these notebooks . . . Because my handwriting is poor I started using a fountain pen with black ink to print with so I cold read what I was putting on paper as my writing was just not legible. I used both cartridge ink as well as getting converters for my pens so I could use bottled ink, which immensely decreased my cost per page of printing. However the black ink I was using, cartridge and bottled, just didn't yield a dense black . . . tending more to a very dark gray.
I read a review of Noodler's 'Heart of Darkness'Noodler's Heart of Darkness Black Fountain Pen Ink and even though expensive, 4.5 ounces of ink is a lot of ink, I ordered it from Amazon. Wow! Dense, opaque black with no noticeable feathering and wonderfully quick drying. There is not a hint of gray in the dried ink . . . truly a wonderful ink and appropriate for anyone that want's archival quality in what they write
Rob+

5.0 out of 5 stars The True Heart of Darkness...and the cool pen it somes with!!!, November 18, 2009
I have several fountain pens, and i was looking for the blackest black I could find. Heart of Darkness seemed like a good bet with lines like "absorbs as much of the light spectrum as humanly possible." Turned out to be right on the money, as far as I am concerned. Very black, no feathering at all, and once it dries...man...its not going ANYWHERE. If you get it on your clothes...well...i would say burn them. As for the pen...it is probably the single most ingenious thing I have seen in many moons. It is a Japanese refillable fountain pen that has been hollowed out, therefore quadrupling the amount of ink it can hold, and just to make sure there are no leaks, they put some silicone grease in the threads and an o-ring on the base. This pen writes REALLY well. I no longer use my Montblanc when i write thanks to this little invention, and i ordered some of the Japanese ones, in case i need some part replacement. I also got some silicone grease. Noodler just needs to add a spot on their site that sells those pens, as far as i am concerned. The pen they used, i am pretty sure, is called Platinum Preppy. It writes OK with the stock ink, i guess, but Noodler steps it up a notch with their modifications. I write a lot, and it took more than two weeks of constant writing with that pen before refill was needed. The cap is a little flimsy, but that's why I ordered the others...just in case, you know? If they could make one of these out of metal, or a thicker plastic...perfection!!! So...in summary...Heart of Darkness? You bet. Definitely as black as black can be. The pen it comes with? Give it a try and see what you think. It is now MY pen, to be used at all times, substitution not authorized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Black Ink, August 31, 2009
This ink is Very Black unlike some ink that say that they are black but has a hint of blue in them.
No blue here.
The ink flows well and hasn't clogged or dried on the pen nib.
It dries fast on paper but will smear a bit if the paper gets wet.
The bottle comes with a medicine dropper (or ink dropper as the case may be).
This is convenient for filling some pens but I use a refillable cartridge that must be inserted into the bottle to refill. The bottle would be better if the top had a larger opening.
I have purchased Noodler's ink in the past and have yet to be disappointed by its quality.
I give the ink a 5 and the bottle a 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Official Pen of BP, June 1, 2010
Oooh it's black; I can only tell the difference between Heart of Darkness and my gel pen marks in the denting of the paper by the rolling ball. HoD also doesn't bleed or lighten when immersed in water for a few hours (so far). However, the pen, and the instructions for it, are a mess! I don't know if the handle end is supposed to be filled with ink, or if I was supposed to unscrew the nib. I think I did it right on the second try, but it still dropped globs on my paper. Wear gloves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackest Ink Ever, November 26, 2009
Ale Man (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
It's black. Really black. There's lots of it in the bottle. It works well in all my pens. Costs less than Parker, Waterman, Pelikan or Montblanc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty Joseph Conrad references aside..., April 1, 2009
Jeremy J. Adams (Laurel, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This is a really good ink. The free pen is junk, but good enough for a first pen. The free pen isn't why you want to buy this anyways. The ink fantastic. Once dry, you've got exert serious effort to get a smudge (I even tried running water!). For the price, this cannot be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Noodler's Ink w/ Lamy Safari - Fine, December 16, 2011
I'm using this with a Lamy Safari, Fine nib, and a Z24 converter. Works well. The 'free' pen that came with this ink seems to be surprisingly useful, as well. It writes nicely; not quite as smooth as the Safari, but that's to be expected. Ink flow through the Safari is good; it runs a bit fast, but not too bad. On good quality paper (standard copy paper), it's perfect. On cheap paper (rough, brown paper) and some labels, I get a bit of ink run that makes for fuzzy edges, but that's quite acceptable in my book. One note, I find the bottle to be almost impossible to directly fill my Z24 converter from, so I drop ink into the barrel of the free pen that came with this, and fill my Lamy Z24 converter from there. A minor nuisance, not worth pulling a star for since it came with the free pen.

EDIT: I've since seen another guy who uses a small syringe to fill his LAMY cartridge -- looks like a good idea, and you can get a syringe from a vet supply shop for not very much.

ARRAY(0xa0cc272c)