Barnes & Noble Nook Color eReader
Used & New from: $45.00
Nook Color $249 vs Galaxy Tab wifi $350 Hi, Galaxy tab 7" wifi only version is now $350. Is Nook Color at $250 still a better deal as compared to Galacxy tab, assuming I will root it ? Please share your opinion. THANKS.
- Another question. After rooting, is the Nook color function as good as or close to Galaxy tab ??

I tried the demo Nook Color in Bestbuy. For sure, the original Nook Color does not function as smooth as the Galaxy tab.

I use the device maily to read lecture notes in PDF, Word, & Power point (good functions for these are important, especially the multi-touch & the automatic zoom the texts to fit in the screen), also to watch video lectures, with light internet surfing for news, and listen to MP3 music, and play some games. That's it. Don't care much about camera, video chat, facebook, youtube, ....
Thanks for helping.
[UPDATED] asked by nlv064 on April 23, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
Thanks a lot for your inputs. I already purchased the Nook Color, and upgraded it to its newest version. I'm very pleased with it, even though not rooting it yet, and it is very fast, ... more than enough for my needs. Its multi-touch and Zoom functions are quite impressive (would grade 8-9/10 as compared to Galaxy Tab). If it is overclocked to 1.1GHz, it surely is as good as GalaxyTab at least. I'm not quite happy with its software for reading PDF and Word. I purchased EzPDF, but that, too, struggled with some of my PDF files. It's acceptable to use for now, though.
- I really like PANDORA radio in a way that when I enter my favorite songs/Melodies at the request, then it finds many other similar melodies to play, eliminating the songs that I don't want to listen. Very cool.
nlv064 answered on May 12, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
VERY easy to root. You just need a decent SD card (with usb reader...I got a class 10 32 gb card) and instructions which can be found on the Facebook page "Customizing Your Nook Color". It was MUCH easier than rooting my Galaxy S phone. I am having a blast with my new tablet computer. I watched a Netflix movie start to finish yesterday with nary a stutter. Plus I have both my Kindle and Nook libraries on the device. Oddly (and perhaps ironically), the Nook app force-closes more often than any other app on the device (but it's not bad at all).
momonjava answered on May 27, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There's a comparison of the two here: http://blog.laptopmag.com/nook-color-vs-galaxy-tab/ It compares stock Nook Color to the Tab, not rooted.
K Tempest Bradford answered on May 5, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you plan on using it for the purposes you listed above and are comfortable with rooting and spending a fair amount of time messing with the software then the Nook color will definitely fit what you need it for. That being said, you would be able to purchase the Galaxy Tab and start doing those things right out of the box and just know that it works. To get my Nook Color turned into a fully functioning tablet I have spent a large amount of hours flashing various ROMS, if you are into that, then by all means its a great purchase, if not, you are probably better with the Galaxy Tab, or even consider an Asus Transformer or the new Acer tablet.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Michaelangelo Dooley answered on May 8, 2011

A
super easy to root and makes it a truly amazing device. If u want help just contact me i will be happy to hel you free of charge lol
Lisa Taylor answered on June 24, 2011

A
Lisa-
I don't have a facebook acct, and don't want one.
Any assistance would be appreciated. I've got a 16gb card.
Any info on rooting my NC is appreciated.
John
JV answered on July 2, 2011

A
Be careful if you root the Nook Color with any type of Cyanogen Mod. Mine worked beautifully for about 2 months and then the graphics card completely fried. Useless after that.
j. dunn answered on May 7, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product