5.0 out of 5 stars It Actually Works!
Unlike the Humminbird RF35, the Norcross Hawkeye can actually detect the fish!

I've used both, the Humminbird works fine as a depth finder, but has difficulty detecting fish. The Hawkeye, on the other hand, sees them.

Published on August 1, 2008 by Doug

2.0 out of 5 stars not bad for the price I guess
I received one of these last Christmas as a present. very cool perfect for the canoe on the lake.

which it was.

pros. - it does work... fish are indicated, depth is indicated, features and weeds are indicated. it works as advertised and is a very effective tool

Cons - three big ones you should be aware of
1. No way to tell what SIZE...
Published on July 3, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars It Actually Works!, August 1, 2008
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
Unlike the Humminbird RF35, the Norcross Hawkeye can actually detect the fish!

Case in point, on a recent trip to Crane Prairie Reservoir (Oregon) we were looking for bass. According to the Hawkeye there weren't any fish when we checked their usual holding spots. When we finally moved over to the channel the Hawkeye started detecting fish (and we caught a few). Apparently the heat made the fish move to the deeper parts of the lake. Same thing happened on Paulina and Big Lava lakes. Without the Hawkeye we probably wouldn't have caught a thing!

Also, the Hawkeye uses plain old AAA batteries, unlike the Humminbird which uses an expensive lithium-ion 2450CR watch battery. (The AAAs seem to last longer, too.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!!!, September 22, 2010
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
I used this fish finder for the first time today on a pontoon boat and I am very impressed with it.

Although the unit doesn't show the actual contour of the bottom or any structures like and average fish finder, it does accurately indicate the type of bottom structure (i.e. rocks, weeds). It will show you if there are long or short weeds or a large or small amount of rock, stumps, etc... with great accuracy with my use.

The depth finder is very accurate, but not as accurate as an average fish finder mounted permanently to a boat. The reason I say it's not as accurate is because the float that holds the sonar sensor moves up and down with any waves and the unit may indicate depths ranging up to 5 feet +/- the actual depth. If the water is calm the unit is very accurate and I have no complaints about it, it served me well with determining the depths of different coves I fished in with a boat.

The unit appeared to quite accurately indicate fish in the approximate area of the boat, when the unit indicated numerous fish were present at a certain depth I would adjust my float on my fishing line to that approximate depth and would have luck catching fish (Bluegill), when no fish were indicated on the finder we never saw nor caught any fish in that area. Based on my results when using the finder to locate fish I would say that this unit is fairly accurate in detecting fish that are present.

The cord that holds the sonar sensor is very durable and should last a long time given it's not scraped across rocks or sharp objects.

The screen is very easy to see outdoors in direct sunlight, I never had a problem with viewing the screen at any time during the day.

The battery life appears to be very long, I had installed used batteries I removed from other devices since I didn't have any new AAA batteries on hand. When I installed the used, batteries the unit indicated that they were very low in charge, however, the unit lasted all day with continuous use without any failure. Based on this performance I would say that the unit would last several trips on the 4 AAA batteries that the unit operates on if the batteries are new.

The operation of the unit if extremely simple and a quick read of the operation manual will have you up and running within 5 minutes.

I would highly recommend this unit to anyone looking for a very reasonably priced and accurate fish/depth finder. I plan on using this unit in the near future for shore fishing mainly as a depth gauge, when I have any results after using this unit for shore fishing I will update my review.

2.0 out of 5 stars not bad for the price I guess, July 3, 2010

which it was.

Cons - three big ones you should be aware of
1. No way to tell what SIZE the fish are, the indication shows a school of 3 inch minnows the same as it does a 30" Chinook Salmon
2. The long cord is annoying to deal with, aside from the inevitable tangles, it sinks like a stone drasticly lowering the effective distance you can get the finder to work from you, the manufacturer suggests using bobbers to float the cord. Thats fine for trolling or casting but when your trying to survey a hole in a stream or river it doesn't work very well.
3. Water and this model of fish finder are apparently incompatible - third time out we were on a stream and the canoe tipped on a sweeper. Fish finder was in a ziplock butsome water managed to get in along the cord and into the unit. It stopped working after that. Basically if you drop the thing in water or even get a good splash expect it to stop working. I'd expect that for a cell phone or Ipod... you would think a fish finder would be somewhat water resistant given that it needs to work around... WATER!!!. Must be for those rare dry land fish you see in the supermarket. (BTW the Cell Phone which was completely immersed in the creek worked fine after it dried out, the fish finder still does not :( )

4.0 out of 5 stars good bang for the buck, October 23, 2007
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
This is a portable fishfinder, and is good at what it does. I've used the threaded "broom handle" mount for the transducer to actually mount the transducer to the bottom of my kayak; then install/uninstall after each trip, rather than use the "float". It works great, marks groups of fish, the alarm is plainly audible, the depth seems accurate from informal and shallow water observation. The depth finder is actually the most valuable part of the tool, since it is using the depth and a chart where fish holding holes and channels can be discovered. Yes, the next step is to get a "real" fish finder, but for the money, ease of use, and portability...this unit is hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fish finder, October 19, 2007
R. Zasada (Lincoln Park, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
bought this item for a fishing trip to Canada, product worked just like it advertized, would recommend to anyone. For the price you cannot beat it.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice addition, September 20, 2010
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
I'm a pretty simple angler. I just recently bought a kayak so that I could access more fishing environments (rather than being stuck on shore only with limited options, this was my first boat). I like to keep things simple and just wanted a cheap depth/fish finder to play with. I haven't used it a bunch because of my preference for keeping it simple but I must admit when it says there are no fish I never catch one there and the depth reading appears to be pretty accurate from what I can feel with my lures. Plus a few times I've scanned with it and cast to where it said there was fish and I had hits. For sure, not what you want for serious depth graphing, but a nice cheap toy to add to a kayak or canoe that you fish out of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have portable fishfinder - great product for the money, August 6, 2010
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
* Does what it says for a great price (bought here for $45)
* Accurate depth finder
* Doesn't show you a bottom "scan", it detects fish and indicates the relative depth.
* Has an audible alarm for fish detection.
* Detects the bottom type: structure and grass.
* Super portable and works fine in my plastic (rotomold) kayaks
* Can connect the detector to a broom handle, and point it in any direction underwater

I use this for kayak fishing, and the fisherman's bottom line - I've been catching more fish since I started using it. Couldn't find it anywhere before it got re-stocked on Amazon. My biggest concern was installation in the kayak. I found I could simply set the detector inside the bottom of the kayak, and it worked fine. No need to glue it in. The manual has a note about not working through plastic, but it works great on my two kayaks (a Native Watercraft and a Wilderness systems, both sit-in). The key is that you usually have to place the detector on the bottom first, then turn it on. It will then properly calibrate to shoot through the hull. (Assuming you're not using a sit-on-top with a double hull)

I would have paid $40 for a good portable depth finder alone. Kayak fishing on the Chesapeake, knowing your depth is key to finding fish. The other great feature is the bottom type detector. Oyster beds show up in the small "rock" icons on the display, which allows me to set up right over the bed. The fact that it also has a fish detector is a bonus. For those of you used to more expensive fish finders, the only downside to this device is that it does not have a scanning display. It uses algorithms to detect the bottom type (eg rocks, grass) and fish, and then indicates that on the LCD display.

3.0 out of 5 stars Norcross Hawkeye F33P Fish Finder, August 11, 2009
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
i purchased this fish finder for use on shore and i would not recommend it to any one for this reason absolutely horrible. the sensor that you throw out goes 35ft and the line sinks so they tell you on the package to purchase seperate float attachment. side scanning is ok but then you dont know if the fish are high or low in the water. However from my boat it works great it can shoot the the hull on some boats and ice when ice fishing which is a very good feature. so if your looking for a fish finder for ice or your boat then maybe consider this one but from the shore dont waste your money cause mine stay in my cabinet not my tackle box

5.0 out of 5 stars The more I use it the more I like it, December 25, 2011
This review is from: NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder (Electronics)
Its pretty straight forward to operate,but I found about the 3rd time I used it became really user friendly.It also took me that long to fiqure out that every once in awhile it wouldnt read correctly.It wasnt showing the rocks on the bottom nor was the fish alarm going off.I was just thinking that there wasnt any fish around.All you have to do is if its not showing rocks,weeds or fish,just turn it off & back on & it will work like it should.I use it on my 1man pontoon boat,I found the best way it worked for me was use the adapter for the paint roller handle & I put it in a rod holder mounted behind my seat.You can use it to scan bottom or a side scan as the adapter pivots.I like it so much I went out & got me a trolling motor & I made a bracket to mount it on the shaft,you can still pivot it,I usually have it pointed towards the bow of the boat.LOL dont really think my pontoon boat has a bow but you know what I mean.Then when I a hunting for fish close to the bank I just pivot it towards the bank as I troll back & forth.Zip tie that 35ft wire up the shaft,down the side of a pontoon & stuff the rest in one of my storage bags,I wear the unit around my neck using the strap they give you or I can velcro it right on top of my storage bag.Although it had that little bleep where it didnt register anything ,I still give it 5stars it rarely happens,& for the price it works really good at least for my application.I have used it 5x on the river anywhere from 3-5 hrs & my batteries are still strong.I dont leave it on the whole time,when it detects a lot of fish I usually beach my boat & fish from the bank if the current is strong.If I was to lose it or break it I would buy another one just like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an awsome sonar, March 8, 2007
Brian Davis "gutterboy2ca" (Hartland New Brunswick,Canada) - See all my reviews
I have only had the oppertunity to test this item for ice fishing, but from what i have seen its awsome.The see thru ICE option is incredible and very impressive.A little bit of water on the ice from a cup or bottle and your looking straight thru 3 feet of ice at the fish.Very nice size,portable.The sonar cable plugs in to the unit extremely hard so once its plugged in leave it there.Only complaint is that any large object on the bottom shows up as 3 diff sixe rocks,small/medium/Large,even if its a junked car,lol,shows as a Rock,or a tree trunk snag shows as a rock.Other then that i give it a 5 but for crappy bottom imagery i give it 4 out of 5

NorCross HawkEye F33P Fish Finder