4.0 out of 5 stars Darksiders (PC)
After hearing several youtubers recommend this game, I was delighted when I found it on sale for five dollars on Amazon. I have played it for several hours now and here's my impression.

Published on April 5, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game, horrible port
Gameplay is great. Very reminiscent of Soulreaver and the rest of the LoK series. Combat is fast, challenging, and interesting.

Published on December 30, 2010 by Serisan

4.0 out of 5 stars Darksiders (PC), April 5, 2012

Gameplay:
I highly suggest using a gamepad for this as it is a port. The keyboard and mouse controls are mediocre but it was designed for the console, and so it is best played with a console controller. When I first started playing, I was worried because all I seemed to be able to do was mash the X button. Luckily, the game progresses and combos become available for you to buy. From what I've seen, I'm sure there are plenty of awesome combos as you progress further. The controls feel nice as well, although I do wish there was a sprint option.

Graphics:
This game isn't the best-looking, but its art style is fairly interesting. I was actually a bit impressed by what they accomplished on such an old engine. I didn't come across any fps lag or the like, everything was smooth as butter.

Steam:
Steam is required to play this game, and as I understand, some people are boycotting this game for that reason. Personally I'm not sure why nor do I really care.

Conclusion:
This game is definitely very fun so far, and I can't wait to play more. I gave it 4 stars only due to minor flaws but nothing else. Definitely a must-buy, especially when it's only 5 dollars right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, April 28, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders - PC (Video Game)
I got this off steam during a 75% off sale. It was 10 bucks down from 40 so I figured why not. I had never heard of the game so I wasn't expecting much.

Gameplay:

Excellent mechanics, similar in this respect to God of War, Prototype, and Onimusha. However it feels less repetitive than Prototype, not that it actually is less repetitive but I found I didn't grow bored as quickly as Prototype.

On PC this game is a port from console. Overall the port is good, but no third-person console port will ever control as well on a mouse and keyboard when the game was designed with a gamepad in mind. I went out and got an xbox360 controller. This basically nullifies the issues with it being a port. Controller was easy to set up and the game runs great with it. So for games like this on a PC just bite the bullet and buy yourself a gamepad. Don't worry, the mouse and keyboard will still be superior on FPS's for a while still.

Graphics and Artwork:

Textures are fairly low resolution, and the engine is based on aging technology "dx9" It's not bad for what it is, but it is definitely limited by it's Console origins.

The artwork is excellent. A big congrats to the modelers, sculptors, texture artists and particularly the Art Director "whoever that may be." The overall design is very cohesive. There's nothing outstandingly original here, the heavy body and armor thing has been done to death ever since Gears of war and quake, and the over sized buster sword has been abused for well over a decade. However, I found it all integrated well into the game and it wasn't distracting "I found the Heavy armor in Gears of war distracting." Modeling and character design is top notch, I'd love to see what this team could do with a cutting edge engine and some tesselation.

Story:

Should we even bother talking about this? Totally derivative. However the voice acting and animation is excellent for a video game. Story segments fit seemlessly between sections/levels and despite how contrived of a story it is, I found I enjoyed it.

I gave this 4 out of 5 stars. I actually think it's more of a 3.5 but 3 is definitely too low. This team put out an original title and succeeded in entertaining me. I look forward to the future of this series and hopefully we'll see some more originality, pushing of technology boundaries, and attention to story next time around.

I definitely reccommend but 40 is a little steep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had problems after install, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Darksiders [Download] (Software Download)
While the amazon download experience is terrible. You download the entire game, but the install only installs the comic and soundtrack. You get a Steam key that you register with Steam, then it downloads it AGAIN! (good thing I don't have a bandwidth cap!). The Steam install works, thankfully.

That is... after you re-install DirectX, because the game install seems to break the DirectX installation... and you have to install quite a few codecs to get the in-game cutscenes to play. Check the Steam Forums for all the details.

After all that, the game is a lot of fun, I just wish I hadn't wasted my time trying to DL it from Amazon first!

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game, horrible port, December 30, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders - PC (Video Game)

The problems come in with the fact that this is one of the shoddiest console to PC ports I've ever played. Having to restart boss battles due to glitching out through the floor while attacking, losing hours of progress to a game bug that prevents a door from opening, random crashes, a complete absence of video options to optimize performance...

In short, buy it for the console.

1.0 out of 5 stars On Grid Play it runs great. Anyone purchasing this, December 19, 2014
This review is from: Darksiders - PC (Video Game)
For me - I had to set the compatibilitysettings for this game to windows 95/98. Not a problem except that it skips a lot of frames doing this.

I also play this on my Nvidia Shield with the Grid Play option. On Grid Play it runs great.

Anyone purchasing this, do a search before doing so, I'm pasting a link below - but if Amazon takes it away, just search for "darksiders 64bit" and you are likely to experience the same.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice game, but difficult console port controls make it hard to play, February 5, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders - PC (Video Game)
The first 3rd of this game was pretty good. Its basically a dumb fantasy game with, but pretty fun to play. In many ways, the dynamics remind me of Gears of War for PC, which was pretty linear and rigid, but basically a fun cartoon like action game. My brain, rightly or wrongly kept thinking it was playing a Gears of War clone crossed with Hellgate London, with a tad of Tomb Raider thrown in! All in all, a decent recipe for some time wasting fun. Darksiders storyline is pretty useless, another retread God vs Man vs Demon sort of thing that's been well played out over the years. But the general action is pretty decent in general, even though the overall environment is pretty shallow. There are some decent puzzles to solve, and some silly underworld inspired creatures.

The problem comes with the controls and the difficulty of basic maneuvers. I can usually deal with lousy console ports, which is not necessarily Darksiders issue overall. The fundamental problem comes in the form of controls. Console controllers excel at allowing button combination's to control complex acrobatic stunts and movements, as well as combo movements at weapon usage. Darksiders is a FAST ACTION game in many passages, where the PC keyboard is a total compromise, and fatally challenging. It makes the basic action of the game seem much more difficult than I'm sure the people who built the game intended. My fingers felt like they were playing a game of Twister some of the time, just to get the main dude to execute certain maneuvers that were required to progress. Other times, I simply had to stop, take a couple of days, then come back to try again. All in all, extremely painful controls make it's overall enjoyment very spotty and inconsistent.

The puzzles are pretty nice most of the time, and most of the creature fights are basically good. However, there are silly "boss" battles, as well as multiple layers of enemy battles where the keyboard just gets in the way so badly, it takes 900 tries to get to the next checkpoint. A dysfunctional save system makes it even worse.

My general conclusion is that it is a good cartoon video game, that was probably much better on the console. I liked many parts of it, but the finger gymnastics required to make the controls work could have been better thought out.

3.0 out of 5 stars 40% fun, 60% frustation, October 21, 2011
AMH (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders - PC (Video Game)
I gave up on this game because of the moronic boss fights. I hate bosses that are nothing more than a few attacks with their obvious tells, and you either figure out the pattern through head-against-the-wall trial and error or you go online and simply read a few sentences from someone's walkthrough. And when you do get the pattern, you then have to execute the correct sequence of moves, with the correct timing, until you've outlasted the boss, but if you miss a beat, you're forced to start the fight over, including the cut scene at the beginning that you can't skip. Darksiders is structured around big fights of this type. In between these fights, the game has a ton of minions to hack and slash through (which is fun) and a grotesque landscape of daemonic culture and ruined industry (which is awesome). There's also an excellent mix of weapons, gadgets, abilities, and attack moves, that you either find or purchase, and almost everything can be upgraded or enhanced further. You really feel like War, the character you play, is getting stronger and stronger. There are also treasure chests, things to collect, and hidden rooms. I had the most fun just exploring the world.

I'm almost back to liking the game again.

But nah I have plenty of other games to play, ones without moronic boss fights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, October 30, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darksiders - PC (Video Game)
Some like the second Darksiders better; I thought the first one was more fun to play. Everyone kept taling about how much this reminded them of Zelda, but I never played Zelda, so I loved this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Darksiders [Download] (Software Download)
This game is known for being a really bad PC port in terms of graphics options(there are none). If you are okay with lower res textures and bad shadow effects with no anti-aliasing then this is an awesome game. The game doesn't look bad though, just decent. Running it on older hardware shouldn't be an issue, and I'm playing it on Windows 8 just fine. I've had 2 crashes, both were from the main menu so I didn't lose any game data(phew).

Does have some awesome gameplay though, reminds me a lot of God of War, maybe with a bit more platforming. Lots of weapon combos, nice mix of enemies(although some pretty basic A.I.) Fast-paced combat.

I would highly recommend a PC controller of some sort for this, It's a console game ported to PC, like most it works pretty bad with a mouse/keyboard.

But for it's price at the time I wrote this(10 dollars) it's a more than fair purchase, very fun to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, May 2, 2014
This review is from: Darksiders [Download] (Software Download)
This game was bought with a good price in a promotion so nothing to complain about it.
And I could use the key in Steam