4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the weak system
Published on October 28, 2009 by H. Bass

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, September 18, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The game runs excellent on my pc (Q6600, 9800GT, 6Gb RAM, Vista x64), and I have not encountered any major bugs. Sometimes the destruction effects can be a bit awkward, like when a huge building is being held up by one little pillar, but that doesn't happen too often. I turned off AO because I really couldn't see a difference in image quality and it was making me lose a few fps. The 5.1 sound thing doesn't bother me because I play with crappy headphones, so it didn't hurt my personal evaluation of the game. However, I believe it IS a problem that needs to be adressed by the developers.

The graphics, while good on a technical level, aren't very inspired. I feel like they wasted the Martian setting. It looks like Arizona with futuristic cars. They could've had more outlandish landscapes.

Other than the somewhat mediocre presentation (mediocre in terms of art direction, not technical design), I love the game. The protagonist is a likeable guy, and the story missions so far have provided nice variety. The destruction is not just a gimmick. It's extremely satisfying and never gets old. While the missions usually focus on destroying a structure, there are just so many way to do it. Also, other than the limits placed by the environment, there really is no set path anywhere. One mission asked me to track a marauder through some buildings. Instead following the winding rooms and hallways, I just smashed a straight path through with the hammer.

Overall I think it's an excellent purchase for the price, and hopefully the sound issues get patched up for those of you who want to enjoy it in 5.1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Join the Revolution, September 20, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's not perfect, but this is the best game I've played in a long time. I'm sorry for the people who have had trouble with the stability of the software, because they are missing out.

The synopsis: Mars, in the future (less lame than it sounds). Your one-time liberators are now the oppressors, and a group of freedom fighters must once again rise up and take a stand.

I'll get my few complaints out of the way first. The story is a little corny, and some of the missions are repetitive. And like many games (especially those with console siblings), there's no quicksave. You're also forced to use Windows Live.

But the good...

- You can really, truly destroy almost anything of importance and it looks and feels real. By the time you are halfway through, you realize how natural it is and how much it could improve other games. I hope to see more use of the technology. Destruction is woven nicely into the storyline.

- It's long and you don't have to play it all in order. This isn't a game you finish in an evening or even in a day (unless I really missed something). Most missions are optional; you can swap between the main "quest" line and alternate missions.

- Strikes a great balance between a FPS (though it's actually 3rd person) and a mild role playing game like Fallout and a driving game like GTA. You can customize your weapons a bit, but it's never tedious. You can do missions to increase your wealth and buy more weapons. You can steal or borrow any car you want.

- Vehicles, especially the ones you can use in combat (which is most of them). Tanks, robots, garbage trucks, you name it.

- Backpacks! The single player only allows one backpack (the jetpack), but multiplayer has a couple more to choose from. The jetpack itself is just fun and allows missions to be played creatively.

- Voice acting and cinematics are high quality. I didn't care for some of the accents (they sounded cliched), but there is a ton of voiceover and dialog.

- AI was solid, though you are pretty much killing the same couple of enemies over and over. Some of the missions are challenging enough you won't care; these enemies know how to fight. They'll hide, sneak up on you, use mounted weapons, chase you, etc.

- The ultracool Nano rifle. Easily my favorite weapon.

- Loads of statistics to geek out on, like total damage, kills, deaths, favorite weapon, etc.

- Without a quicksave, you really have to focus and look for little tricks, shortcuts, and logic puzzles. This makes it 1) rewarding at times and 2) pulse-pounding, because one death can set you back 10 or 15 minutes of grueling play and moving almost non-stop is often key.

- This is a chapter in a story, and while it stands nicely on its own, it has strong and cohesive ties to the original story (Red Faction, released around 2000/2001).

In summary, a thoroughly enjoyable way to kill time.

4.0 out of 5 stars WORKERS OF THE OUTER WORLDS: UNITE!!!, September 24, 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The original RED FACTION did not only break new ground and bring a number of innovations to the FPS genre - but it was also GREAT FUN to play. It was the first game, if I remember correctly, that incorporated damage to the environments that was not just for effect but played quite an important role in the story. Now, its sequels... well, succession in times of revolution is never easy.

Like any revolution, RED FACTION (III): GUERRILLA, strives to overcome but falls victim to harsh realities - and some bad decisions. But there are also a lot of sparks coming out from under this hammer.

First off, this game tries to be too many things at the same time. It has missions and you get to augment your weapons - but it is clearly not a cRPG. And you get to explore and shoot - but, even if you will find yourself in some hairy situations, the moments of adrenaline rush and intensity are rare. Early on the weapons get too powerful and the importance of explosions overtake the gameplay. Do not get me wrong, I love the smell of a singularity bomb in the morning as much as the next guy - but you CAN have too many explosions.
Oh, and how come one can blow up building and vehicles sky high but the surrounding rocks remain intact? And while I am poking plot holes: where is all the oxygen coming from since Mars seem as barren as a red desert?

Now, unless the hero were to wear armor we would love to see, why was there a need to go from an FPS to a Third-Person Shooter perspective? There have been TPS games that work great (the excellent MAX PAYNE series spring to mind) but more often than not, the over the shoulder camera ruins the immersion - not to mention your aim.

Finally, there is the issue of graphics. I have an 8 months old system at home (i7 920, nVIDIA GTX260, 3GB of RAM, WinXP), yet, even when all parameters were all maxed out, the graphics were not crisper than HL2 (a 5 year old game). I understand that there are way more particles on the screen and the physics of their explosion would make the game unplayable in 2-3 year old systems but I expected more effort on that department.

On the other hand, driving is great fun! A-la GTA, you can hijack almost anything: from personal vehicles to huge utility tracks. And then there are walkers you can augment. And you can drive them almost over or through everything. The most sturdy of them will take quite a beating before dying on you so I really enjoyed walking or driving through walls and demolishing buildings. Who needs a map if you can plow a path straight towards your destination?!

Did I mention explosions? True, they are a bit excessive, yet there is no denying their fun factor! And what I found particularly impressive is how the choice and design of weapons stay within the story of miners revolting on Mars.

Another piece of good news: the game may not be DRM-free (it is protected by Impulse and Windows LIVE online saves) but it has neither any malicious form of SecuROM nor does it require any type of activation.

RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Faction Review - Not Steam or GFWL! (Im not crazy about them either), July 7, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Who knew mining on Mars could be this much fun. This game rocks my scrap metal off! Some have complained this game is a bit repetative and i suppose i can agree on that, but i can't seem to get enough of it. Red Faction is all about blowing everything up and it does it in spades. Missions are the typical lot, blow that building up, ambush that convoy, steal that vehicle, intercept that traitor, but its fun gang. Part of the fun is finding out the most efficient and creative way to take a building down. The missions play out like little mini games, one that is particularly satisfying is the demolition trials. The object is to destroy a structure with specific equipment within the alotted time. I played one where the object was to attach sticky bombs onto explosive barrels and drop them down a drainage tube till they landed next to the target building and kaboom! I like these missions as they give me new tactics for taking out the enemy that i may not have even thought about on my own. There are wide variety of vehicles ranging from fast light armored cars to heavy tanks with some serious firepower. I love the robotic walkers you can pilot, they remind of the walker Ripley used in Alien.

The graphics are fantastic and the Martian landscape is truly a sight to behold, it has a very Total Recall feel to it. There is a lot of area to cover too. There are six zones if i remember correctly that you are trying to liberate from the oppressive forces of the EDF (Earth Defense Force). I like the addition of the scavengers that randomly appear here and there wielding their crude weapons, they have a Mad Max feel to them. There a wide variety of weapons at your disposal but you can only carry 4 at a time, one being your trusty hammer. I suppose it is a bit ridiculous that your hammer can bust through solid concrete walls in one hit, but i can overlook that, mainly because this a game and its just plain fun. As you finish missions in each zone, morale raises and more and more miners will pick up arms and join you in your battle which is very helpful because this game can get tough without the help. When they say Guerrilla, they weren't kidding, you really need to utilize hit and run tactics to be successful until you get better weapons and armor later in the game. Overall im very impressed with this title, its a solid game that you can keep coming back to when you feel the need to blow some $h@t up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Recall + Grand Theft Auto = Awesome Fun for under $20 bucks!, April 25, 2010
Ken (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've had Red Faction: Guerrilla (RFG) on my wish list for several months now. It looked different than most games I play, so I decided to experiment and give it a try. Before buying, there was the pesky matter of deciding whether to get the XBOX 360 or Windows version. I have a fairly high end pc (Win7 64bit, i7 920@ 3.5Ghz, GTX 295 video card), so I decided to enjoy all the eye candy I could with the game. The reviews are less than stellar for the Windows version (some mention failures to run on Win7), but I'm not scared by such talk. I was talked into the XBOX version of GTAIV and regretted it after seeing it on Windows.

Installation was pretty straight forward and took 10 or so minutes to finish. Upon completion of the main installation, it wanted me to install a chat client for gaming. I went ahead and installed it since I planned to try out the multi-player features of RFG. I haven't tried the multi-player portion yet, so I'm not sure if it is needed or not. This was followed up my the game asking me to enter the serial number for activation (yeah, DRM stuff, but I don't care). I entered the serial and fired up the game. RFG uses Games for Windows Live, which is fine by me since I like trying to get the max amount of achievements I can. I also don't mind being connected to the internet all the time because I'm not some crazy conspiracy theorist that is so paranoid of the internet that I physically unplug my cable modem when I'm not using it. I already have GFWL installed, so I was all set there. I fired up the game and GFWL also asked me to enter the serial number. GFWL found the latest update (from early April) and asked if I wanted to download and install it. I accepted and closed RFG while it was downloading and installing the update. Upon restarting of the game, I was able to start a new career and get going right away. What ever problems they had before this patch in regards to Windows 7 64bit have been fixed. I haven't had a single crash after 26 hrs of game play.

Gameplay is pretty straight forward and if you've played any GTA titles you will feel right at home. Basically, you're job is to avenge your brother's death by killing all the EDF you can to liberate Mars. This involves blowing things up, which is cool. The perspective is in the 3rd person, which some folks don't like very much. Control can be a little annoying when using a keyboard and mouse, so I just use my Xbox controller with this game. So much like GTA, you have a few different styles of missions to complete. You have primary missions, guerrilla actions (free hostages, defend site, attack site, carnage), transporter (steal vehicle and deliver to a safe house) challenges, and demolition master challenges to complete. This gives you a nice variety of stuff to do while trucking through the campaign. The one major complaint I have about the game is there should be more walkers lying around to hijack. They are a blast to use during assaults since you can flip cars like nothing and watch them start chain reaction explosions that send enemies and debris flying all over the place.

RFG uses the HAVOK physics engine and the GEOMOD 2 destructible environment graphics engine. This combination results in a pretty intense and surreal experience when blowing everything up that you can get a demolition charge on. The graphics are actually quite good...for it being on Mars. There aren't trees everywhere, so the main eye candy in the game are the vehicles and explosions. The vehicles are highly detailed and animated (especially the walkers). Driving physics is very complicated and often frustrating due to the fact you can't steer when you're front tires are off the ground (duh). Realism is where the Windows version shines. It's very clear when watching videos from the PS3 version that they had to dummy down the physics for those ports. The transporter help videos showed the vehicles not really bouncing around in response to the terrain. It was very difficult to beat the Pro times for the achievements on transporter and demolition master challenges. The downside to this technology is it clearly needs a near top of the line PC to run at near 60 frames per second. My PC was a perfect match for this game, providing consistent 55-60 fps throughout game play. One feature I thought was cheesy was the low quality cut screen and mission briefing videos. These looked like they came from a computer game from 1998.

Overall, I was very happy with RFG. It is probably one of the most addicting games I've every played. It can be very repetitive, but what game isn't? If you like blowing stuff up, then you won't be disappointed with Red Faction: Guerilla.

5.0 out of 5 stars RF:G Best on PC... OF COURSE!, October 13, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you have a half way decent system (dual core or better) and at least a Geforce 8800GT video card (priced less than $100.00 these days) you should be able to run this game with no problems. You may get a little slowdown when there is A LOT of destruction going on the screen at once but that's about it. I bought 2 copies of this baby (one for me and one for my son) and I played it from beginning to end and enjoyed every minute of it. If you have worries about GFWL then don't, it has been revised throughout the years and it now works flawlessly. I actually LIKE it when a game uses it, hopefully it will catch on with more titles eventually.

RF:G has one thing no other game has ever accomplised... TOTAL DESTRUCTION of buildings & vehicles in a very believable manner. I was amazed on how well the developers pulled it off!

I'm really hoping this game sells well on PC so we can get the next title when it is inevitably released.

If you like shooters then get it, you will love it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a hair under 5 stars, September 28, 2009
C. Waston (Kenmore, NY USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's been tough to turn this game off and get work done! FYI - I'm about 1/3 of the way through and have only played the single player so far.

PROS:
1) Running in windowed mode, it plays very well even on an XP computer that's a few years old
2) Good variety of mission types - along the lines of Medal of Honor where sometimes you are driving a vehicle or acting as a gunner in addition to just shooting the bad guys or blowing up buildings.
3) Storyline so far is pretty good, well connected to the original RF.
4) Quite a variety of missions/targets to choose from in addition to the "required" ones that move the storyline along.

CONS:
1) I'm not a big fan of the third-person shooter, but I suppose that's a personal thing.
2) Driving to and from mission sites can get a bit tedious

4.0 out of 5 stars Unite Against the Tyranny of the EDF!, January 6, 2010
D. Blizzard (New York City, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Red Faction: Guerrilla is the latest in the Red Faction series. As a third-person shooter, this game is quite good with a fully destructible environment. Anyone who likes the idea of taking on an enemy far more powerful than you, and causing mayhem and destruction along the way, will certainly enjoy this. The story begins with you, Mason, a miner brought to Mars by your brother. You arrived with the best of intensions, to make a new life on the Red Planet, but something went horribly wrong. Instead of keeping your head down and mining, you are now fighting a Guerrilla war as a member of the Red Faction insurgency.

Gameplay: This game is very similar to most other third-person shooters on the market. Red Faction: Guerrilla uses the Geo-Mod engine which allows for a fully destructible environment, more or less. Movement is pretty simple with the standard WASD keys being used, with the mouse for aiming and firing. The purpose of the game is to free each individual sector on Mars from the Earth Defense Force, or EDF, and drive them off the planet. To do this, you must carry out various missions and eliminate targets to bring their control of a given sector down to zero. You must also be careful not to harm civilians as each sector has a morale meter. If you kill an innocent, the morale drops, if you take out the EDF and complete missions, it rises. The more it rises the more likely it is for the population to help you, such as in backing you up in a fire fight. The missions vary quite a bit, with my personal favorite being the collateral damage mission where you're given a nearly indestructible car, a driver, and a cannon on the back. You are then told to cause X amount of damage. There are also simple timed pseudo-race events which are aggravating at times due to the camera. With the completion of a mission, EDF control drops, morale rises, and you get salvage which is used like money to purchase new weapons and upgrades. The game is not very difficult if you think things through, take appropriate weapons, and master the driving mechanic. It certainly does have very tough moments where you have to replay the mission several times, but nothing too ridiculously insane. As a shooter, the controls handle quite well, but while driving, I found myself becoming frequently annoyed with them. You drive with the same movement controls, WASD, but the camera is tied to the mouse. The camera does not stay behind the car while you turn, so, for instance, if you turn left, the camera will not change, instead, you will be looking at the left side of the car. While driving, you often have to maintain a high speed to outrun the EDF if they are chasing you, navigate the landscape, and sometimes fire a weapon, all while trying to wrestle with the camera.

Story: I'm usually an RPG kind of person, so I think the story is rather weak. But then again, that is not why you purchase Red Faction: Guerrilla. What there is of the story is told largely through FMV's and radio chatter. There could have been more shades of gray with the EDF, though. As it stands, the EDF are obviously very, very bad guys and the Red Faction is very good. Showing different elements of both factions would have added more depth, but, this is a shooter, so a story isn't the focus of the game.

Graphics: The graphics are well done, structures and people are rendered well. The game also ran very smoothly with no choppiness, tearing, or popping on the highest settings. My rig is an Intel quad core Q9450, 8GB of RAM, 9800GTX in SLI, and Windows 7 64-bit. Mars is, as you would expect, bleak, with simple and functional buildings. The exception to this is the Oasis sector which is mostly terraformed. With the Geo-Mod engine, all man-made structures show damage and react with real-world physics. Unfortunately, the terrain does not, so if you crash a car into the side of a cliff, the car is very damaged, but the rock face is pristine. Also, once the buildings collapse, most of the debris goes away, so there is no smoldering pile of wreckage after you attack a base unless it is part of the story. I believe this might be a resource limitation since accounting for such detail would require high-end computer hardware. There is a high degree of satisfaction in taking out a building with any number weapons. The pieces of the structure behave differently based on the device used to bring them down. Explosives or rockets will shoot debris into the air whereas a sledgehammer or rifle will not.

Misc.: I enjoyed Red Faction: Guerrilla, but it certainly isn't my favorite. There are well over 100 missions spread out across several sectors and they do vary quite a bit. Most players, like me, will pick one or two to focus on as their favorites. The game is mostly an open-world and you can complete missions at your own pace. However, missions that require an EDF presence vanish after you liberate a sector and do not return until you complete the game. Red Faction: Guerrilla is largely a bug free game with some quirks. I did get crashes when I alt-tabbed out and went back to full screen, and the game crashed perhaps once or twice otherwise. The two notable quirks I had dealt with missions. In one, I destroyed a bridge in the collateral damage mission, but the driver would not drive across the ditch or find an alternate route, instead he just sat there until the car exploded from all the damage he was taking. The second came from a transport mission where I had to get a car to a safe house within a certain time frame. I was driving a fairly low-riding car, hit a rock on level ground, not a large boulder but a stone about half as tall as the wheels, and flipped over, thus failing the mission. This is a Games for Windows - Live title and, as such, includes achievements, leaderboards, and controller support. The game also requires a unique key be used to identify each copy of the game, so there is DRM in that sense, but no disc checker. Overall, it was a great game and well worth the 25 hours I spent playing it. The physics engine made the game very satisfying. Nothing quite tops sending a thermobaric rocket careening though a window from across the street, only to watch the roof and several floors go flying into the air. Then, having to escape when the alarms go up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tons of content and oh so satisfying!, February 19, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, this game is indeed demanding on the hardware, but if you have a new(ish) system and you enjoy open-world GTA style action games than RF:G is a must have! There is a ton of content here with dozens and dozens of missions, items to collect, and cheats to unlock. The story is reasonable although nothing spectacular, but the main reason RFG will keep you coming back is the sheer pleasure of smashing things! Nothing feels quite lack plowing your way through a building with a walker or tank or taking that final support beam down with a hammer swing. The graphics and very pretty on a good system (i'm running a dual core AMD with 6gb of RAM and a ATI x1950 w/512mb) and the explosions are big and intense. The wide range of vehicles can create some fun, open-ended destruction and smashing the evil EDF is a whole lot more morally pleasing than wasting cops in GTA.
The game isn't perfect. The characters are utterly forgetable (aside from the zany and loveable Jenkins (("Clean and Righteous!")) After about 20 or so hours I realized I really didn't care about my character. he really doesn't grow or change. Mason essentially becomes a tool to blow up the buildings of mars, and while there is an awful lot of content most of the missions become pretty linear (Go here and rescue some miners, go here and fight off some EDF, go here and steal a car, go here and blow up a building, repeat). These complaints are minor though and don't detract much from the overall experience.
If your system can handle it buy this game now! Its got hours of fun and a one-of-a-kind thrill you won't find anywhere else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the weak system, October 28, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I got this game a few weeks ago an totally enjoy it. I wouldn't recommend having a slow system or a video card with little ram. I have a dual core system running XP and a 8800 GT video card with 512 megs of ram. I had problems in areas where there was a lot of action with the system slowing down to a crawl and really killing the processor. The worst was when my video card fried the screens just went black. Went out and picked up a card with 1 gig of ram and have had no problems since. The game plays great even in areas of tons of action.

I enjoy the game alot, being able to bust up just about anything is really cool. As your alert level goes up more EDF come until you are pretty much surrounded by enemy this can get really intense trying to get out of the line of fire. Not found of a few of the weapons they give you, they're more a waste of time then help.

Overall the scenarios they give are pretty good and as you get better they become harder. The best part is that you don't have to follow any given path; you can go off on your own one day and follow their orders the next. It is a good idea to do as many of the actions they supply as the more you finish the more upgrades you receive.

I've completely finished about 3 times now and have started on a fourth. It is enjoyable and will keep your interest until something better comes along.

Red Faction Guerrilla [Download]