Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Platform: PC DownloadEdition: StandardChange

on December 11, 2012
Darksiders 2 makes some various improvements on the first game, which was a fun game in its own right, but the series really carves its own niche in gaming with this entry. The graphics are beautiful, not in the Crysis 2 sense with being graphically intensive, but the art style of the game is just wonderful to look at, with some great animation to boot. The soundtrack is subtle but very well done, the sound effects are satisfying, and the gameplay is just amazing. It takes the gameplay from something like Ocarina of Time and mixes it with some Prince of Persia and God of War type gameplay for the platforming and combat. The game is also a huge, lengthy adventure, it will take most players at least 40 hours to play this, so it has good length like you'd expect from an RPG.

The game did have some initial problems with the PC port when it first came out, but its had a few patches and it performs quite well, has more graphics settings to tweak than it did before, and the PC version is bar none the best version of Darksiders 2 you can play. The game utilizes Steam cloud to great effect for your save games, and has steam achievements too. Gamepad and mouse and keyboard support are both well done. If you like action or rpg games, Darksiders 2 is a must buy!
on November 30, 2013
Well, now this is more like what I like. First, the installation went great with no problems. I noted the game set the resolution to match as closely as possible my monitor and it configured the X-Box gamepad perfectly. I started the game and there was a bit of a lead in and some background that gave you the start you needed to get into the gameplay. I fooled around with it and when I looked at the clock again, 30 minutes had passed and I didn't even know it! Game play was great and the graphics were very good even on my old system. What I really liked was the game sort of grabbed me and sucked me into it and I was really getting into it. Having both this game and the first one make for an interesting playing experience. Good one!
Update: 12/19/13: Well, I still give this game 5 stars, but it's really HARD to get by the bosses! I've been killed off 328 times at the latest count trying to kill the bosses. I'm stuck on the Guardian at this time and instead of having the sticky bombs to blow his arm off, after one or two good shots at it, they take away the bombs!! So I have no way to win the battle! Very disappointing. I really like this game and am very pissed off that there is no way for me to proceed. Well, messed up again!!!
Update: 5/1/14: Well got by the Guardian battle and continued on. Finally got stuck on a wall running ahead of a raising platform that kills you if you don't stay ahead. Ran thru that about 50 to 60 times and failed each time in Easy mode. So, once again what's "easy" to one person is "hard as hell" for another. Haven't returned to the game again to this time. Am lowering my rating to four stars due to this.
on June 29, 2014
Darksiders II is not without its flaws, of course; the camera can be very annoying at times, and for some reason it turns very slowly when using an Xbox 360 controller. However the problems that the game might have with its controls is trumped by the simple and enjoyable knock 'em in the air and slash them into little bits action. The combat of the game isn't that complicated, yet it remains enjoyable. One exception would be boss battles, however; the first boss battle in the game was tense and full of very close dodges and precise attacks by the enemy. I've played about nine hours and the rest of the bosses I've met have all had a mechanic to them that didn't utilize the action that the first one did (the second and third bosses in the game is basically a "wait for a bomb to drop then throw the bomb at the otherwise invincible behemoth to make it vulnerable")

Darksiders II is an enjoyable action game, but some boss battles are a bit lack luster and you may have issues with the camera. However, the solid and fun combat will leave you satisfied after a long play session. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.
on April 26, 2014
Plays like zelda, prince of persia, and god of war in a nutshell. Looks amazing. Also cheaper than buying directly from steam even though it still is from steam. Sound is great. Music is not annoying but really fits each area well and also has a well wrighten storyline. They put some time into it and it shows. Also it does take use of the xbox controller for some of us who don't like to use the keyboard.
on August 14, 2012
I think the game is great, except for a few things. With what the above poster said the FOV is horrible in some places. You can change your graphics resolution but that was fine with me but I guess other people want more. Looked great on my machine and never gave me one problem getting it going either. So maybe a patch down the road will fix some of this. But as for me I will still continue to play. The game is really good so far. Ive got about 6 hours under my belt and I'll say the puzzles are good and the combat is great. You can now get random trash loot which can be sold to vendors for credits to buy more better equipment/weapons. Boss's drop good items as well. You can rebind your keys. On the main game website the devs has posted on how to do it. Yes the game looks great. Its a really good hack and slash with puzzles and big demons to kill. Also, who wouldn't want to play Death?

My only Con I'll have to grip about is the FOV/camera.
on March 18, 2014
I waited for the second installment of the series ever since I finished beating the first game. Darksiders two met my expectations and then exceeded them! I am really hoping they create a third game, because I really want to finish the story! Overall I give this game 7/5 stars!
on September 18, 2012
The Good: Gorgeous art style, smooth and fluid combat, fun platforming, clever level and puzzle design, lots of abilities and moves to unlock, tons of loot to find, plenty of collectibles, lengthy adventure, fun boss fights

The Bad: Disappointing end boss, camera issues, repeated enemies, repetitive level layout, extremely difficult after first level, no PC specific graphics options

THQ and Vigil return with a new protagonist and tons of improvements over the first game. This time you play as Death, War's brother, who is trying to redeem War from the Charred Council's wrath for destroying humanity. On your adventure you meet new and old faces, as well as a ton of puzzles, bosses, and combat, as well as new abilities.

The first thing I have to mention is that this game isn't nearly as confusing to play as the first game. I was always lost and had no idea what to do. Even finding hidden chests was a pain. This time around there are lots of collectibles and chests, as well as some free roaming, but in a more organized fashion. You wind up traveling through three different realms that each have their own secrets. The Forge Land is where you start, and you can buy armor and weapons, so Vulgrim plays a small part this time around. By finding Book of the Dead pages and Boatman coins you can trade them in for special keys as well as random boxes with a piece of armor or weapon with Vulgrim. There are lots of different items to collect and find, so loot is abundant here.

My favorite part about the game is the platforming. It's just so fun and fluid as well as fast paced. The level design is ingenious here, because it seems labyrinthine at first, but I rarely had to go to a walkthrough to figure out where to go or what to do. Death even gets to acquire some abilities that are just for puzzle solving like the Soulsplitter which allows him to split into two and the Voidwalker, which makes a return from the last game. I found the puzzles to be really fun, and they were just challenging enough to where you only had to think for a bit then it all clicked. The satisfaction reminded me of how I felt when solving puzzles in Portal.

Secondly, the combat is a lot better than the last game. Death feels fast, fluid, and has a lot more moves at his disposal than War did. You can buy over 20 new moves throughout the game, as well as upgrading your skills. You will need to play the game twice to be able to upgrade all the skills, but what I did unlock were fun. Eventually certain moves leached health from enemies, gave me more Wrath (needed to do these moves), and stunned enemies. You can turn into Reaper from for a while which does a lot of damage and you take very little damage. Overall, the combat was just fine, but the camera had issues. Every so often when I was in a tight corner the camera didn't know what to do. It didn't happen often, but when it does you can't really see what's going on and will take hits. After the Forge Lands the game gets extremely difficult. I died multiple times during certain fights because they were so hard. You also get less health potions later on which can lead to frustrating deaths.

The boss fights are some of the best things the game has to offer. There are plenty of them and they are fun, but challenging. You have to be quick and dodge and learn the enemies moves. There isn't a block button here so the game can get really tough. I did find the final boss disappointing because I beat him in one try in just a few short minutes. Besides these issues, the combat is fun, solid, and well done.

I did find the game a bit repetitive after a while. It was the same thing over again just in different orders. Fight these enemies, solve this puzzle, do this platforming bit. Most action adventure games are like that, but Darksiders II doesn't offer much variety. Even the enemies repeat constantly to the point to where you just get sick of killing them. The only time I felt excited about combat after the mid-way point were the boss fights. Thankfully the game is just overall fun, so even when you feel the game is getting old you will want to press on.

The game looks pretty good with a gorgeous art style. The textures can look a bit ugly up close, and I was disappointed that Vigil didn't include any PC specific features. In fact, the graphics options only allow you to change the resolution and V-Sync doesn't even work. The keyboard and mouse controls are clunky, so stick with the Games for Windows controller if you have it. There are plenty of collectibles in the world so people who are dedicated to that will stay busy. This is one long game ranging at about 15-20 hours if you just go through the story and most side quests. If you complete it 100% you are looking at close to 40 hours of gameplay here. I just couldn't find the motivation to collect everything like in games such as the new Batman games and Assassin's Creed. After I got towards the end of the game I just wanted to finish it and be done.

Overall, Darksiders II is a solid action adventure game with some minor issues. There are no PC specific graphics options, there are camera issues during combat, and the final boss fight is a disappointment. Enemies repeat often, and the same puzzle, platform, combat formula follows throughout with not much variety, but the game is fun. There are a lot of the collectibles and a few side quests, and the boss fights are a blast. If you loved the first game you will love this even more. People who didn't like the last one should check this out.
on April 28, 2013
As in many console to pc ports the Key Mapping is a little frustrating, eventually you get used to it. The voice acting is excellent in all but a couple of instances. The protaganist, Death has a deeper and more interesting character than his brother War and I found this character more accessiible. The story line is good but the ending is a little disappointing.

This series or franchise is so ripe for another installment.

Puzzles are interesting without being very difficult but sometimes you don't have the tools/power to solve the puzzle until later. Since you don't know this it can lead to some frustrting circle running.

The sheer number of weapons and equipment found were overwhelming. You could spend hours trying to decide which is best and a minutde later another great weapon turns up.

All in all though, a great gaming experience with good visuals, good story and good characters.

P.S. The music is very good as well; much better than Darksiders.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2014
The download was not bad just remember that you will have to sign up for a steam account.That is part of the PC game function.
on September 14, 2012
This game is an awesome experience with great graphics, beautiful soundtrack and incredible gameplay.

It still has a bit of bumps like unexploited story, main fetch quests without a defined purpose (considering Death character) and some game bugs (although this guys have been releasing patches, which have brought performance increases and graphic options such as SSAO and AA, and some bugs worked out).

Anyway, at the end it still is a great game that everyone should give a shot if you're looking for a game that has gameplay comparable to Ninja Gaiden and Zelda.

BTW, if you want screenshots of the game, you must see this album (*WARNING* contains spoilers *WARNING): [...]