Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Flavor: LemonSize: 180Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

TOP 50 REVIEWERon June 9, 2013
***
Here is a side-by-side comparison of three Nordic Naturals fish oil products: Nordic Naturals Omega-3, Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, and Nordic Naturals EPA Elite.

There are three major components of omega-3 in these products: EPA (which is good for your heart, circulatory system, lowering triglycerides, depression and mood orientation, and is a powerful anti-inflammatory for soothing joint pains), DHA (which is good for your mental acuity, or if you are pregnant, nursing an infant, or for children), and "other." Other omega-3s, like DPA and SDA, are types of fatty acids which are easily converted to EPA in the body. In most fish oils, the amount of these other fatty acids is low, but in highly concentrated oils, it can be a significant amount. The important components are EPA and DHA.

BREAKDOWN: Here is a breakdown of these supplements:

Nordic Naturals Omega-3 (See, Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Formula, 180-Count)
***
$36.25 for 180 1000 mg gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: 2 gel caps
Price per gel cap = $.20 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 1000 mgs omega-3 = $.58 (using Amazon's price)
EPA = 165 mgs
DHA = 110 mgs
EPA/DHA ratio = 1.5 to 1
Other Omega-3 = 70 mgs
Total Omega-3 = 345 mgs
Percentage Omega-3 per gel cap = 35%
Flash distillation
Encapsulated in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: fish oil (from anchovies and sardines), softgel capsule (gelatin, glycerin, water, natural lemon flavor), d-alpha tocopherol, and rosemary extract (a natural preservative)

Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega (See, Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, 1,000 mg Fish Oil, 180 Soft Gels)
****
$59.40 for 180 1000 mg gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: 2 gel caps
Price per gel cap = $.33 (using Amazon's price)
Price per 1000 mgs omega-3 = $.51 (using Amazon's price)
EPA = 325 mgs
DHA = 225 mgs
EPA/DHA ratio = 1.5 to 1
Other Omega-3 = 90 mgs
Total Omega-3 = 640 mgs
Percentage Omega-3 per gel cap = 64%
Molecularly distilled
Encapsulated in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: fish oil (from anchovies and sardines), softgel capsule (gelatin, water, glycerin, natural lemon flavor), d-alpha tocopherol, and rosemary extract (a natural preservative)

Nordic Naturals EPA Elite (See, EPA Elite Nordic Naturals 60 Softgel)
*****
$ N/A for 60 1000 mg gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: 2 gel caps
Price per gel cap = $ N/A (using Amazon's price)
Price per 1000 mgs omega-3 = $ N/A (using Amazon's price)
EPA = 800 mgs
Other Omega-3 = 30 mgs
Total Omega-3 = 830 mgs
Percentage Omega-3 per gel cap = 83%
Molecularly distilled
Encapsulated in the U.S.A.

IFOS: The International Fish Oil Standards Program ("IFOS") (Google "IFOS consumer reports") is an independent third party omega-3 testing organization that provides batch-specific summaries of a product's IFOS testing results. The reports include a 5-star rating for each product containing greater than 60% concentration of EPA and DHA per gram of fish oil, allowing consumers to compare fish oil products based on their safety, purity and quality. Some of this testing now includes radiation testing as a result of the Japanese Fukushima accident. Most of the highly rated omega-3 fish oil products are listed. Nordic Naturals Omega-3 is a five star omega-3 fish oil product, which is the highest rating attainable.

TRIGLYCERIDE REDUCTION: Nordic Naturals EPA Elite is fairly new. It differs from the other two products in that it contains only EPA and no DHA. It is specially geared towards the reduction of triglycerides levels, similar to the new Vascepa product, made by Amarin. There are a very few omega-3 manufacturers who have taken a similar approach, including Garden of Life Minami Nutrition Plus EPA Mind Formula, (see, Minami PLUSEPA 60 ct Softgels), and Norwegian Gold EPA 1000 Omega Renew Life,(see, Norwegian Gold EPA 1000 Omega Renew Life 30 Caps). While Nordic Naturals doesn't say it, Nordic Naturals EPA Elite appears to target the Lovaza market because of its huge EPA potency, which is effective at lowering triglycerides.

POTENCY: Nordic Naturals EPA Elite has the highest omega-3 potency of those in this comparison (83%); followed by Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega (64%); and followed by Nordic Naturals Omega-3, which has the lowest omega-3 potency of those in this comparison (35%).

PRICE PER PILL: Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega ($.33 per gel cap) is the most expensive per pill of those in the comparison; and followed by Nordic Naturals Omega-3 ($.20 per gel cap), which is the least expensive per pill of those in the comparison.

PRICE PER 1000 MGS OF OMEGA-3: Nordic Naturals Omega-3 ($.58 per 1000 mgs omega-3); is the most expensive per 1000 mgs of omega-3 of those in the comparison; and followed by Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega ($.51 per 1000 mgs omega-3), which is the least expensive per 1000 mgs of omega-3 of those in the comparison.

PILL SIZE: All of these products are 1000 mg gel caps. In terms of size, all of these gel caps are manageable for most folks.

SOY CONTENT: None of these products contain soy.

GMO CONTENT: None of these products contain GMOs.

CHOLESTEROL CONTENT: All of these products contain cholesterol.

OMEGA-3 TEST: Anyone who is interested in having their omega-3 index tested can do so. There is one company I would recommend: Omega Quant (see, [..]).

MEALS: Any triglycerides or ethyl esters based fish oil is best taken with a meal containing some fat, as it is more efficiently absorbed when taken with food.

OPINION: Nordic Naturals Omega-3 is a fair product. It is IFOS five star rated, it is soy free, it is GMO free, it is mercury free, and it is inexpensive. On the other hand, it is flash distilled, it contains cholesterol, it is not enteric coated, it is not vegetarian, it is not certified Kosher or Halal, and it has a very low omega-3 potency (35%).

RATING:

I rated Nordic Naturals Omega-3 three stars because it is IFOS five star rated, it is soy free, it is GMO free, it is mercury free, and it is inexpensive. On the other hand, it is flash distilled, it contains cholesterol, it is not enteric coated, it is not vegetarian, it is not certified Kosher or Halal, and it has a very low omega-3 potency (35%).

I rated Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega four stars because it is IFOS five star rated, it is molecularly distilled, it is soy free, it is GMO free, it is cholesterol free, it is mercury free, and it is reasonably priced. On the other hand, it is not enteric coated, it is not vegetarian, it is not certified Kosher or Halal, and it has a relatively low omega-3 potency (64%).

I rated Nordic Naturals EPA Elite five stars because it is IFOS five star rated, it has a high omega-3 potency (83%), it is molecularly distilled, it is soy free, it is GMO free, and it is mercury free. On the other hand, it contains cholesterol, it is not enteric coated, it is not vegetarian, it is not certified Kosher or Halal, and it is expensive. However, it is currently unavailable.

I have separately reviewed all of these products.

Prices current as of 02/05/2016.
4242 comments441 of 456 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Reasons I like it:

1) Screened for mercury and other toxins.
2) Great lemon taste.
3) Thin gel cap.

2) and 3) matter to me because I'm one of the few people who actually like the taste of fish oil so I bite into the capsule and release the oil. The lemon taste gives it a nice flavor and the gel cap is easy to chew. Other brands have thick capsules which don't taste good and have really oily fish oil taste. For people who just swallow it, the taste of the oil or the capsule don't really matter, but make sure you get a brand which screens for toxins because you don't want to be harming yourself with mercury while protecting your heart.

Cost: The cost per bottle or cost per capsule is often misleading because different products (even within brands) have different potencies. To find the real cost, divide the cost by the total amount of DHA+EPA (the key omega-3's).

For example, this box has 90 servings (180 capsules) at 550mg DHA+EPA per serving (2 capsules per serving). That's 90 servings X 550mg DHA+EPA = 49,500mg or 49.5g of DHA+EPA per box. Divide current cost by 49.5g will give you the price per gram.

Summary:
Source: Anchovies and sardines.
Method: Their own multi-patented process including filters and molecular distillation.
Toxins: IFOS tested.
Type: Triglyceride form (better absorption than ethyl ester)
Amounts:
EPA+DHA = 550mg per capsule.
EPA+DHA 49,500mg/49.5g per bottle (60 capsules).
Value: Divide price by 49.5g (the amount of EPA+DHA per bottle) to get a price per gram of EPA+DHA and a comparison value against other brands.

Nordic Naturals is one of the first brands of O-3 I ever tried. They have a good reputation for quality omega-3 products.
55 comments107 of 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2010
If you've ever burped after taking fish oil, you know that it can be pretty foul. This product is worth the higher price just for the sheer fact that you DON'T burp that nasty fishy taste. These are quite pleasant. I tried Kirkland fish oil because I was trying to cut down on cost but then the burp thing happened. Suffered the Costco sized bottle and am now back to Nordic Naturals. Muuuuuch better!
0Comment94 of 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2011
(Let me preface this by saying that I purchase a lot from Amazon, and never write reviews, but HAD to for this) I originally purchased this product for my pregnancy and did a lot of research before deciding on purchasing this particular brand. I, of course, was getting this for the benefits for my pregnancy and baby, but after 2-3 weeks, I noticed that the really bad eczema I had on my face and neck was pretty much gone. Like GONE. My skin was clear, smooth, hydrated, and perfect looking, and it has been years since I've seen it like this! It has been something that has been a bother of mine for the past 5 years, and nothing EVER seemed to work. I had found a cream that was $180 that worked for a couple of months, but my skin had developed some sort of immunity to it, and it no longer worked (although even when I used it, my skin never looked as great as it does now). I was trying to figure out what I started doing differently that made my skin so much better, and realized after doing MORE research, that fish oil is far more effective on eczema and skin problems than almost any cream or ointment that a doctor could give you. I was planning on using this only for my pregnancy, but now am going to be using this for life!
33 comments102 of 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2011
Most health food stores charge at least $50 for this bottle and it is important to buy this brand if you take fish oil because it is pharmaceutical grade...but half price, these are excellent!
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2010
Ugh. Who really wants to take fish oil when your preggo tummy is squished up by baby feet, assaulted by hormones, and rejecting its contents on a regular basis? But it's sooooo good for mommy and babe ...

I tried several fish oil products while pregnant. The enteric coated that were OK before, I still burped up, and it turned out they had plastic additives that aren't good for fetal genitals (esp boys). Everyone had a suggestion, and each suggestion didn't work for some reason. I didn't have a lot of nausea but was so sensitive to tastes and smells, even opening a bottle of "good" fish oil could make me sick.

Yes they cost a lot more than others, but they were never rancid and, as my naturopath pointed out when she sold me this brand, it's not cost effective if you vomit it back up.

They didn't digest perfectly, but I found that the burped-up flavor didn't make me throw up (yeah that's a little TMI but I know you want to ask ...). The lemon helped a lot.

My naturopath also gave me a very helpful suggestion: Stick them in the freezer, then take them before a big meal. That really did do the trick!

I did notice the benefits too, with stress and pregnant-brain-fog. And I feel good that my baby got the nutrients. I'm looking forward, after I deliver, to switching to the liquid.
44 comments44 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2010
My eye doctor recommended Nordic Naturals for dry eye. He said they are completely pure. I had been using very inexpensive fish oil. I noticed immediate results after using Nordic Naturals. I rarely need any eye lubricant now.
0Comment40 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2008
I have been taking this product for a year now, and it's really effective. I also enjoy it because, unlike other Omega I have tried, it doesn't leave you with a fishy aftertaste. Thank yoU!
on January 22, 2007
This is the cheapest price I have found. These capsules have a lemony taste if any, are not too big for me to swallow (and most stuff is too big), and all books I've recently read say these are an absolute must for good health.
0Comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2011
Omega 3 is always good combined with good & healthy eating plus exercise . I have to say that I am loosing weight pretty steady since i started taking this supplement but can also be because of my good eating. Supplements help but alone wont do all the job. You have to you your share as well.