1,631 Reviews
 (1,153)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
I have used this popper many, many times since buying it two months ago. It does an excellent job of making popcorn that is light and fluffy.

Published on March 4, 2005 by C. Larson

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, like PowerPop better
I bought this popper NOT to save money, but to avoid throwing all those microwave popcorn bags into the landfill AND so I could season the popcorn the way I wanted, avoiding all those unnatural, weird ingredients that you might find in WALMART microwave popcorn. I wouldn't even try to make cost comparisons because it's the old apples and oranges thing.

I am...
Published on May 17, 2006 by Rion

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, March 4, 2005

But I almost ruined the popper the first time I used it. I set my 1350 watt Panasonic microwave oven to 3 minute, burned the popcorn, leaving scorch marks that I was able to scrub out. I'd advise any user to work their way UP to the proper time for their microwave.

The underside of the bottom of the popping bowl gets hot enough to burn one's fingers. Take it out of the microwave by the edges at the the top and place the popper on a heat-resistant surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger isn't always better - or - Goodby Mr. Hot Air popper, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Nordic Ware 60120 Microwaver Popcorn Popper 12 Cup, White (Kitchen)
I own a West Bend 82306X Stir Crazy 6-Quart Electric Popcorn Popper. It does a good job but the results are a bit oily (the popcorn and what needs to be cleaned up afterward). I've been using a Presto 114316 04820 PopLite Hot Air Corn Popper which turns out nice batches if you use the "spray with Misto M100S Gourmet Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer" method as it comes out.

However, this popper (as well as my identical and currently unavailable Fireworks Popcorn Microwave Popping Bowl) for me, beats them all. Once you get the timing right, for me it's 2:10, figure out you need to add the oil on top of the unpopped kernels and shake them around a bit, and remember to add the salt before popping, you wind up with perfect popcorn with almost no mess.

The Fireworks popcorn that comes with the bowl does pop smaller than some more commercial brands. However, it tastes great, has a nicer texture, ans was included with the bowl. Besides, I can always use the grocery store brands if I want to.

The one thing that surprised me was how quiet this is. It's not much louder than just the microwave so nobody gets woken up if I'm making some late at night.

One last thought about time to pop. The directions said keep going until you only hear one "pop" every second or two. I did that. It went for almost three minutes. The popcorn was burned... badly burned. My suggestion is to stop your first batch long before it gets to one-pop-per-second and work from there.

UPDATE: After a couple of months we still love this popper. After using up the Fireworks Popcorn that came with the bowl we switched to Pop Secret Jumbo Popping Corn, 30-Ounce Jars (Pack of 6). That, along with a tablespoon of corn oil produces outstanding results.

UPDATE 2: Found what I think is THE BEST POPCORN for this popper. Great Northern Popcorn, 4-Ounce Portion Packs (Pack of 24) tastes lots better than anything else I've tried. The only problem is the 4-ounce pack overflows the bowl and my next order, and there will be a next order, will be for the 2.5 oz packs.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, January 27, 2004
By A Customer
After having tried all types of poppers, this one is the one our family chooses above them all. It is the easiest, cleanest, most efficient popper we have ever tried. With oil or without, the kernals are light and tasty and all popped! We highly recommend it to those who enjoy pop corn as much and as often as we do.
I must add however, that microwaves differ in temperature and you must experiement with the correct power in order not to burn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, and doesn't require extras, March 15, 2006
I bought this after returning the Presto Popper. The Presto popper worked a little better, but requires special pads for each batch. The pads cost $0.25 each.

This one works great and doesn't require anything extra except the popcorn, and anything else you want to add.

Plus it is half the cost. I paid $7.99 at Target.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, July 17, 2006
joyous (Irvine, CA) - See all my reviews
I make popcorn almost every night. I usually use an air popper, because I don't want to add lots of oil (and calories). But some popcorn is too lightweight, and when one kernel pops, a number of unpopped kernels jump out of the popper and into the bowl with it. No good. I looked into all the types of microwave poppers, and liked this one because it was the simplest: no parts to buy separately and add, or to go wrong.

And I'm happy to say that it actually is very simple, and very effective. You do need to figure out how long it takes to pop in your microwave. Just like when making microwave bag popcorn, listen for when the pops become less frequent. And just like microwave bag popcorn, it's a trade-off: if you leave it in longer, you get some burnt bits and they smell bad, but if you take it out earlier, you have unpopped kernels left. The good thing about this popper (compared to the bags) is that you can eat what popped and then put it back in the microwave to finish off the last few that didn't pop the first time.

Once you figure out the timing, it's easy. For example, with my microwave it usually takes 2 minutes 40 seconds, although I listen for the pops in the last five seconds, in case that batch finishes early.

The popper definitely does get hot on the bottom. And it's hot on the sides right after cooking too. Take it out of the microwave carefully, holding just the edges. However, I've found that it cools down enough to put it in my lap after a few minutes, at least if I'm wearing jeans.

I've had this popper for over 6 months and estimate that I've used it about 70 times or so. There is some very slight discoloration on the bottom when I burned the popcorn once, but other than that, it's basically as good as new. (I don't put it in the dishwasher though, so I can't vouch for that.)

Overall, this is a great alternative to microwave popcorn bags, especially for people like me who want to put on their own toppings. It's better than air poppers for lightweight popcorn (like the regular kind I get at the supermarket). But I still use my air popper for my gourmet corn, so I can use a larger bowl that makes it easier to toss on the toppings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas day popcorn! This works GREAT., December 25, 2005
Wow, this works so much better than advertised. Just amazing, amazingly simple and great popcorn. It's basically a bowl with a lid, the bowl is made with that special high-temp plastic that can take high heat and doesn't deform. Dump in a half cup of popcorn, stick it in the microwave for 4 minutes and there you go, tasty hot popcorn....with (FIRST POINT) only as much butter or oil as you want, not the thick (but admittedly tasty) coating in the store-bought microwave popcorn. For those watching your cholesterol/weight/fat intake (quite the bummer, I know) this is a life-saver. Get those butter-flavored sprinkle toppings from the store and you have a great treat. SECOND POINT: This is much tastier than the old air-popper type popped corn. I think it's because the steam from the popped corn is contained in the bowl and not immediately driven away by a hot stream of air. Plus this popper isn't so amazingly whiny noisy as the air-popper. FINALLY: This will pay for itself in just a few bowls of popcorn. It's about $17 including shipping from Amazon. We will be getting these as gifts for several of the family.

4.0 out of 5 stars much better than stove top, August 24, 2005
I have been popping corn on the stove for lack of an air or microwave popper. I bought this popper last night in a store for only $8 and I love it! It popped almost all of the kernels (cheap store brand) and each kernel was perfectly fluffy. I especially love it because I don't have to add oil and if I add salt before popping it is perfectly distributed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust the 5-star reviews, October 24, 2011
You can trust the 5-star reviews on this popper. I ordered this Nordic Ware 60120 Microwave Popcorn Popper less than a week ago, with Amazon's SuperSaver shipping. Even though it was shipped via the US Postal Service, it arrived on exactly the date that it was promised. I immediately opened up the box and washed the popper with hot soapy water as it says in the instructions. I measured one half cup of Orville's popcorn, poured it into the bowl, and put the lid on. I didn't use any oil or salt - although the instructions say that you can add oil and salt if you want to.

I set the timer on my 1200W Kenmore microwave to three minutes (on the highest setting). After about 40-45 seconds, the popcorn started popping. After 2:30, the popcorn was beginning to push the lid of the bowl up, so I had to stop the microwave at 2:40.

The popcorn was very light, very crispy, and of course very dry compared to the oily stuff I'm used to eating out of the microwave bags. The flavor was very good - like sweet corn. I'll probably try some of the shake-on seasonings in the near future.

There were no scorch marks in the bowl. There was no burnt popcorn. Since I had to stop the microwave before the popping completely finished (1-2 seconds between pops is the recommended time to shut down), it probably isn't fair to talk about unpopped kernels. The bowl was overflowing with popcorn goodness. But just in case anyone wants to know, there were 32 unpopped kernels - about one tablespoon full. I'll probably cut back to one-third cup of popcorn next time.

I've read some of the bad reviews on here. It seems to me that most of the bad experiences that people have had can be chalked up to people not paying attention to when the popping slows down and allowing the popcorn to overheat and burn.

There is no reason to use a lower setting on your microwave if you just wait for the popping to slow down to 1-2 second between pops and then shut down the microwave.

And the guy who said that you have to use a full cup of popcorn to get it to pop and then end up throwing away half a cup of popcorn must be a popcorn salesman. There is no reason to waste popcorn with this popper.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase. You will be too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me, March 8, 2007
Gal Noir (Overland Park, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This popcorn popper produces fluffy popcorn and leaves few unpopped kernels. You can pop corn with or without butter or oil. I use butter. I particularly like being able to eat the popcorn from the bowl without having to get another bowl dirty. The bowl is hot at first, so you have to wait a few minutes for it to cool down. It's dishwasher safe and easy to care for. I bought it because it was highly rated by Cook's Illustrated magazine which is a trusted source for information about items useful in cooking. They haven't been wrong yet, and they were right about this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this popper!, April 23, 2007
I love this popper. I adore my stir-crazy popper, but it takes longer than throwing this in the microwave. This popcorn is PERFECT in texture, and I have not had any trouble with the bowl being hot at all. It cleans easily in the dishwasher as well. All in all, a wonderful popper.

Nordic Ware 60120 Microwaver Popcorn Popper 12 Cup, White