1,748 Reviews
 (1,239)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
I have used this popper many, many times since buying it two months ago. It does an excellent job of making popcorn that is light and fluffy.

Published on March 4, 2005 by C. Larson

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, like PowerPop better
I bought this popper NOT to save money, but to avoid throwing all those microwave popcorn bags into the landfill AND so I could season the popcorn the way I wanted, avoiding all those unnatural, weird ingredients that you might find in WALMART microwave popcorn. I wouldn't even try to make cost comparisons because it's the old apples and oranges thing.

I am...
Published on May 17, 2006 by Rion

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, March 4, 2005

But I almost ruined the popper the first time I used it. I set my 1350 watt Panasonic microwave oven to 3 minute, burned the popcorn, leaving scorch marks that I was able to scrub out. I'd advise any user to work their way UP to the proper time for their microwave.

The underside of the bottom of the popping bowl gets hot enough to burn one's fingers. Take it out of the microwave by the edges at the the top and place the popper on a heat-resistant surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger isn't always better - or - Goodby Mr. Hot Air popper, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Nordic Ware 60120 Microwaver Popcorn Popper 12 Cup, White (Kitchen)
I own a West Bend 82306X Stir Crazy 6-Quart Electric Popcorn Popper. It does a good job but the results are a bit oily (the popcorn and what needs to be cleaned up afterward). I've been using a Presto 114316 04820 PopLite Hot Air Corn Popper which turns out nice batches if you use the "spray with Misto M100S Gourmet Brushed Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer" method as it comes out.

However, this popper (as well as my identical and currently unavailable Fireworks Popcorn Microwave Popping Bowl) for me, beats them all. Once you get the timing right, for me it's 2:10, figure out you need to add the oil on top of the unpopped kernels and shake them around a bit, and remember to add the salt before popping, you wind up with perfect popcorn with almost no mess.

The Fireworks popcorn that comes with the bowl does pop smaller than some more commercial brands. However, it tastes great, has a nicer texture, ans was included with the bowl. Besides, I can always use the grocery store brands if I want to.

The one thing that surprised me was how quiet this is. It's not much louder than just the microwave so nobody gets woken up if I'm making some late at night.

One last thought about time to pop. The directions said keep going until you only hear one "pop" every second or two. I did that. It went for almost three minutes. The popcorn was burned... badly burned. My suggestion is to stop your first batch long before it gets to one-pop-per-second and work from there.

UPDATE: After a couple of months we still love this popper. After using up the Fireworks Popcorn that came with the bowl we switched to Pop Secret Jumbo Popping Corn, 30-Ounce Jars (Pack of 6). That, along with a tablespoon of corn oil produces outstanding results.

UPDATE 2: Found what I think is THE BEST POPCORN for this popper. Great Northern Popcorn, 4-Ounce Portion Packs (Pack of 24) tastes lots better than anything else I've tried. The only problem is the 4-ounce pack overflows the bowl and my next order, and there will be a next order, will be for the 2.5 oz packs.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, January 27, 2004
By A Customer
After having tried all types of poppers, this one is the one our family chooses above them all. It is the easiest, cleanest, most efficient popper we have ever tried. With oil or without, the kernals are light and tasty and all popped! We highly recommend it to those who enjoy pop corn as much and as often as we do.
I must add however, that microwaves differ in temperature and you must experiement with the correct power in order not to burn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, and doesn't require extras, March 15, 2006
I bought this after returning the Presto Popper. The Presto popper worked a little better, but requires special pads for each batch. The pads cost $0.25 each.

This one works great and doesn't require anything extra except the popcorn, and anything else you want to add.

Plus it is half the cost. I paid $7.99 at Target.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, July 17, 2006
joyous (Irvine, CA) - See all my reviews
I make popcorn almost every night. I usually use an air popper, because I don't want to add lots of oil (and calories). But some popcorn is too lightweight, and when one kernel pops, a number of unpopped kernels jump out of the popper and into the bowl with it. No good. I looked into all the types of microwave poppers, and liked this one because it was the simplest: no parts to buy separately and add, or to go wrong.

And I'm happy to say that it actually is very simple, and very effective. You do need to figure out how long it takes to pop in your microwave. Just like when making microwave bag popcorn, listen for when the pops become less frequent. And just like microwave bag popcorn, it's a trade-off: if you leave it in longer, you get some burnt bits and they smell bad, but if you take it out earlier, you have unpopped kernels left. The good thing about this popper (compared to the bags) is that you can eat what popped and then put it back in the microwave to finish off the last few that didn't pop the first time.

Once you figure out the timing, it's easy. For example, with my microwave it usually takes 2 minutes 40 seconds, although I listen for the pops in the last five seconds, in case that batch finishes early.

The popper definitely does get hot on the bottom. And it's hot on the sides right after cooking too. Take it out of the microwave carefully, holding just the edges. However, I've found that it cools down enough to put it in my lap after a few minutes, at least if I'm wearing jeans.

I've had this popper for over 6 months and estimate that I've used it about 70 times or so. There is some very slight discoloration on the bottom when I burned the popcorn once, but other than that, it's basically as good as new. (I don't put it in the dishwasher though, so I can't vouch for that.)

Overall, this is a great alternative to microwave popcorn bags, especially for people like me who want to put on their own toppings. It's better than air poppers for lightweight popcorn (like the regular kind I get at the supermarket). But I still use my air popper for my gourmet corn, so I can use a larger bowl that makes it easier to toss on the toppings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas day popcorn! This works GREAT., December 25, 2005
Wow, this works so much better than advertised. Just amazing, amazingly simple and great popcorn. It's basically a bowl with a lid, the bowl is made with that special high-temp plastic that can take high heat and doesn't deform. Dump in a half cup of popcorn, stick it in the microwave for 4 minutes and there you go, tasty hot popcorn....with (FIRST POINT) only as much butter or oil as you want, not the thick (but admittedly tasty) coating in the store-bought microwave popcorn. For those watching your cholesterol/weight/fat intake (quite the bummer, I know) this is a life-saver. Get those butter-flavored sprinkle toppings from the store and you have a great treat. SECOND POINT: This is much tastier than the old air-popper type popped corn. I think it's because the steam from the popped corn is contained in the bowl and not immediately driven away by a hot stream of air. Plus this popper isn't so amazingly whiny noisy as the air-popper. FINALLY: This will pay for itself in just a few bowls of popcorn. It's about $17 including shipping from Amazon. We will be getting these as gifts for several of the family.

4.0 out of 5 stars much better than stove top, August 24, 2005
I have been popping corn on the stove for lack of an air or microwave popper. I bought this popper last night in a store for only $8 and I love it! It popped almost all of the kernels (cheap store brand) and each kernel was perfectly fluffy. I especially love it because I don't have to add oil and if I add salt before popping it is perfectly distributed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this popper!, April 23, 2007
I love this popper. I adore my stir-crazy popper, but it takes longer than throwing this in the microwave. This popcorn is PERFECT in texture, and I have not had any trouble with the bowl being hot at all. It cleans easily in the dishwasher as well. All in all, a wonderful popper.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have used this for over 10 years, October 5, 2008
Silvergirl (Frederick, MD) - See all my reviews
I've probably used it even longer than that. I actually own 2 of them, and both of them work fine. I haven't had any problems with the lid being mishapen, probably because I don't use my dryer element in my dishwasher. I turn that off, and my dishes are virtually dry when I take them out anyway, because of the hot water. If you want to put this item in the dishwasher, I recommend turning off the drying element or just washing it by hand.

That said, I've enjoyed this very much. I used to shake a pan on top of the stove, and that was a little more work than just putting the popcorn in the bowl, putting the lid on, and putting it in the microwave. I have burned a batch or 2 from not watching it carefully, so I do try to stay near the microwave so I can make sure it is not burning.

If you want kettle corn, add a tablespoon of sugar, and a pinch of salt before popping the corn. It's delicious! I also do this when cooking on top of the stove. It's hard to resist the slightly sweet taste. Add butter to that and I'm in heaven. I also can eat this without butter, but I'm prone to wanting that buttery taste, so I melt a little butter in a custard cup in the microwave for 1 minute and pour it on the popcorn. It's better for you than movie theatre popcorn, because who knows what they use to "butter" your popcorn.

It's also more economical than buying the microwave popcorn in the bags, not to mention that most of those have hydrogenated oils that clog up your arteries.

You will have to use pot holders to take it out of the microwave. That is a given with something that hot and steamy, unless you let it sit for a while.

I bought the second one because I could not find the lid to the first. Now that I've found the original lid, I have 2 bowls, and that's fine with me, because I know this product is good quality. I may wind up giving one to my daughter when she moves away from home.

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, like PowerPop better, May 17, 2006
Rion (Alameda, CA USA) - See all my reviews

I am going to echo some of the comments that other reviewers made, but because they are complaints, I only give 3 stars. I found that popcorn can burn sometimes if the power is too high, and when it is set lower, the popper itself can still get WAY too hot to handle, and it stays hot for quite a while trying to eat. So this necesitates using an other bowl to eat out of. It seems to take a LOT more power to get all the kernels to pop compared to the Presto PowerPop. I also found that the popper plastic tends to discolor over time and I am concerned about the heat doing things to the plastic that may cause it put out small amounts of toxic chemicals. I have other pieces of plastic micro cookware that don't do this.

Some have commented about the PowerPop's paper cups being too expensive. I started with 2 packages of these things and they have lasted OVER 3 years!! This is because I reuse them and do NOT put oils in there when popping; I add it later. So I like the PowerPop a lot better and use it instead.