Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper, 12-Cup, White
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: White|Change
Price:$7.99+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on March 4, 2005
I have used this popper many, many times since buying it two months ago. It does an excellent job of making popcorn that is light and fluffy.

But I almost ruined the popper the first time I used it. I set my 1350 watt Panasonic microwave oven to 3 minute, burned the popcorn, leaving scorch marks that I was able to scrub out. I'd advise any user to work their way UP to the proper time for their microwave.

The underside of the bottom of the popping bowl gets hot enough to burn one's fingers. Take it out of the microwave by the edges at the the top and place the popper on a heat-resistant surface.
2323 comments| 964 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2004
After having tried all types of poppers, this one is the one our family chooses above them all. It is the easiest, cleanest, most efficient popper we have ever tried. With oil or without, the kernals are light and tasty and all popped! We highly recommend it to those who enjoy pop corn as much and as often as we do.
I must add however, that microwaves differ in temperature and you must experiement with the correct power in order not to burn.
0Comment| 403 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2006
I make popcorn almost every night. I usually use an air popper, because I don't want to add lots of oil (and calories). But some popcorn is too lightweight, and when one kernel pops, a number of unpopped kernels jump out of the popper and into the bowl with it. No good. I looked into all the types of microwave poppers, and liked this one because it was the simplest: no parts to buy separately and add, or to go wrong.

And I'm happy to say that it actually is very simple, and very effective. You do need to figure out how long it takes to pop in your microwave. Just like when making microwave bag popcorn, listen for when the pops become less frequent. And just like microwave bag popcorn, it's a trade-off: if you leave it in longer, you get some burnt bits and they smell bad, but if you take it out earlier, you have unpopped kernels left. The good thing about this popper (compared to the bags) is that you can eat what popped and then put it back in the microwave to finish off the last few that didn't pop the first time.

Once you figure out the timing, it's easy. For example, with my microwave it usually takes 2 minutes 40 seconds, although I listen for the pops in the last five seconds, in case that batch finishes early.

The popper definitely does get hot on the bottom. And it's hot on the sides right after cooking too. Take it out of the microwave carefully, holding just the edges. However, I've found that it cools down enough to put it in my lap after a few minutes, at least if I'm wearing jeans.

I've had this popper for over 6 months and estimate that I've used it about 70 times or so. There is some very slight discoloration on the bottom when I burned the popcorn once, but other than that, it's basically as good as new. (I don't put it in the dishwasher though, so I can't vouch for that.)

Overall, this is a great alternative to microwave popcorn bags, especially for people like me who want to put on their own toppings. It's better than air poppers for lightweight popcorn (like the regular kind I get at the supermarket). But I still use my air popper for my gourmet corn, so I can use a larger bowl that makes it easier to toss on the toppings.
0Comment| 287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2006
I bought this after returning the Presto Popper. The Presto popper worked a little better, but requires special pads for each batch. The pads cost $0.25 each.

This one works great and doesn't require anything extra except the popcorn, and anything else you want to add.

Plus it is half the cost. I paid $7.99 at Target.
55 comments| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2013
I used about 1/2 of a cup of organic corn, turned the microwave on high for 2 min and the popcorn came out perfect - white, fluffy popcorn, without the grease and chemicals from the bagged popcorn. This is just perfect. I wish I knew about it before. Now, popcorn can become the healthy snack it was meant to be. I will never buy bagged popcorn again.
On the bottom of the bowl it says it is ovensafe too up to 400 degrees Farenheit. I won't be using it this way though. It is BPA-free and very sturdy plastic, nothing thin or flimsy. Made in USA, love it.
review image
on December 25, 2005
Wow, this works so much better than advertised. Just amazing, amazingly simple and great popcorn. It's basically a bowl with a lid, the bowl is made with that special high-temp plastic that can take high heat and doesn't deform. Dump in a half cup of popcorn, stick it in the microwave for 4 minutes and there you go, tasty hot popcorn....with (FIRST POINT) only as much butter or oil as you want, not the thick (but admittedly tasty) coating in the store-bought microwave popcorn. For those watching your cholesterol/weight/fat intake (quite the bummer, I know) this is a life-saver. Get those butter-flavored sprinkle toppings from the store and you have a great treat. SECOND POINT: This is much tastier than the old air-popper type popped corn. I think it's because the steam from the popped corn is contained in the bowl and not immediately driven away by a hot stream of air. Plus this popper isn't so amazingly whiny noisy as the air-popper. FINALLY: This will pay for itself in just a few bowls of popcorn. It's about $17 including shipping from Amazon. We will be getting these as gifts for several of the family.
44 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2011
You can trust the 5-star reviews on this popper. I ordered this Nordic Ware 60120 Microwave Popcorn Popper less than a week ago, with Amazon's SuperSaver shipping. Even though it was shipped via the US Postal Service, it arrived on exactly the date that it was promised. I immediately opened up the box and washed the popper with hot soapy water as it says in the instructions. I measured one half cup of Orville's popcorn, poured it into the bowl, and put the lid on. I didn't use any oil or salt - although the instructions say that you can add oil and salt if you want to.

I set the timer on my 1200W Kenmore microwave to three minutes (on the highest setting). After about 40-45 seconds, the popcorn started popping. After 2:30, the popcorn was beginning to push the lid of the bowl up, so I had to stop the microwave at 2:40.

The popcorn was very light, very crispy, and of course very dry compared to the oily stuff I'm used to eating out of the microwave bags. The flavor was very good - like sweet corn. I'll probably try some of the shake-on seasonings in the near future.

There were no scorch marks in the bowl. There was no burnt popcorn. Since I had to stop the microwave before the popping completely finished (1-2 seconds between pops is the recommended time to shut down), it probably isn't fair to talk about unpopped kernels. The bowl was overflowing with popcorn goodness. But just in case anyone wants to know, there were 32 unpopped kernels - about one tablespoon full. I'll probably cut back to one-third cup of popcorn next time.

I've read some of the bad reviews on here. It seems to me that most of the bad experiences that people have had can be chalked up to people not paying attention to when the popping slows down and allowing the popcorn to overheat and burn.

There is no reason to use a lower setting on your microwave if you just wait for the popping to slow down to 1-2 second between pops and then shut down the microwave.

And the guy who said that you have to use a full cup of popcorn to get it to pop and then end up throwing away half a cup of popcorn must be a popcorn salesman. There is no reason to waste popcorn with this popper.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase. You will be too.
on March 16, 2013
Used it for half a year. Then one day in the microwave it cracks and breaks. I think I should buy something made out of Pyrex instead. Save your money and buy something else...

Updated with my experience with Pyrex bowls:

Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, ClearInstead of continuing to use the cracked Nordic Ware popcorn popper, I decided to buy some Pyrex mixing bowls off Amazon for $14.99.Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, ClearI am using the 2.5 Qt Pyrex mixing bowl now instead...

Here are the pros and cons of using Pyrex instead of the Nordic Ware popper. The Nordic Ware seems to get very hot right in the center of the popper and tends to channel the heat very well into the middle of the popper. This results in having to use a lower wattage setting on the Microwave to achieve the same results as the Pyrex. The downside to the Nordic Ware is that this makes it easier to burn the popcorn. I noticed that when I use the Pyrex mixing bowl that I have to add a couple of extra minutes (I use a 1450 Watt Microwave), however, it doesn't burn the popcorn at all. A downside to the Pyrex bowl is that the bowl will retain a lot of the heat, so you have to be careful when you remove the bowl from the Microwave. Also, it tends to work better if you use a square cover that allows for adequate steam to seep out of the mixing bowl. The upside to not using the Nordicware is that I have the peace of mind that none of the chemicals in the Nordicware container are leaching into the Popcorn. Also, whenever I accidentally burned the popcorn it was hard to clean the burn marks completely off the Nordicware popper. Lastly, be sure to follow safe microwave instructions for Pyrex glassware by not heating empty or nearly empty glassware in the microwave or overheating oil or butter in microwave (use minimum amount of cooking time).

I wish I had just bought the Pyrex mixing bowls to begin with... Plus I can also use them for other purposes and not just popping popcorn.
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2014
I got to use the popcorn popper yesterday for the first time, after noticing I received what seemed like a returned item, since it had burn marks on the base, a tiny chip *even when it states that is "chip-proof" and the lid had some spots that I thought were some sort of pattern, but then realized they were oil stains...
Anyway... my daughter was so excited to use it that I decided to test it, so I gave it a good wash and tried it.
I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to use with great results.
1/4 cup of corn, about 1 tablespoon of butter and in just 4 minutes we had almost perfect popcorn with very few kernels unpopped.
The popper gets VERY HOT, so you have to be careful when taking it out of the microwave.
We made two batches and after the second one I noticed that the bowl had some burn marks at the bottom, which was a disappointment...
Also the lid wasn't in place, it had come out a little, like it didn't hold well. So not sure if is better to return to Amazon because I was supposed to get a brand new item not one that already shows so much wear...
review image review image
on April 23, 2007
I love this popper. I adore my stir-crazy popper, but it takes longer than throwing this in the microwave. This popcorn is PERFECT in texture, and I have not had any trouble with the bowl being hot at all. It cleans easily in the dishwasher as well. All in all, a wonderful popper.