Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on July 8, 2012
This is a great unit. It provides key attributes of high flow rate and low pressure drop while providing lots of hot water. This is the largest unit Noritz make. If you size just by GPM you may think their next smaller unit is adequate for your needs. Maybe it is, I don't know what your requirements are. But only this beast has the large heat exchanger, which allows high flow without dropping 15 - 20 psi across the exchanger when you are drawing lots of hot water. A tub spout, for example.

The unit is very efficient, 94% I believe. It is a condensing design that vents with 3" or 4" PVC and uses fan-assisted combustion. The burner modulates over a wide dynamic range, allowing small flows of water to still cause the heater to light off.

It is my understanding this is one of the few cases where there is not a downside to installing a larger unit. Only the amount of gas required is used to heat the water. The larger heat exchanger causes minimal, if any, efficiency penalty.

You will want to ensure a 200,000 BTU gas supply pipe, which is not likely what your tank heater came with. Also large water pipes (it helps to run 1" pipes up to the 3/4" water heater fitting) will improve this unit's capability.
on October 20, 2013
If these Noritz people spent as much time/money on quality, rather than advertising that their units are quality, they may have a good product. But like others, our heat exchanger is leaking and it's taking forever to get replacement parts. Go to home depot and get the cheep model from china and you'll get a unit that's more reliable than Noritz _ AND they have less parts / circuitry to fail. I hate to say that, but our VERY poor Noritz quality experience is similar to others here. I have a strong suspicion that the one & only good review was put there by some Noritz manufacturer/installer.
11 comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2015
Review of Noritz American Condensing Tankless Water Heater, Model NRC1111- OD
This unit was installed in 2012. The condensing pipe has frozen up every year since then. A plumber charges $83.70 to thaw it out. After the first year I found I can do it using a heat gun. I have had 6 plumber look at it for a solution to the freezing. After paying about $3000, I expected better operation than it has had. The owner’s manual states “In normal operation, freezing is prevented within the device automatically unless the outside temperature without wind is below -30F (-35C) for NRC1111-DV or -4F (-20C) for NRC 1111-OD.
It has never been below -4F in Raleigh since it was installed but the condensation pipe does freeze and you don’t get hot water. The water flows but it is not heated. I have called Tech Support listed in the Owner’s manual and the only thing they suggested was a thermos tape that does not work. I have written two letters to Noritz American without a response.
11 comment6 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2016
When looking at reviews, watch out the reviewers who are crossposting their one bad experience to every product that Noritz has, not just the product they had a problem with, trying to make things look worse than they are...

We've had our NRC1111-DVNG installed for about 8 months. I installed it myself, replacing a old Bosch until that gave us nothing but troubles. We are on a well, which causes the water pressure and flow rate to fluctuate, which is notoriously hard for tankless units to deal with. Our Noritz unit has been nothing but wonderful for us:
* Easy install (love the PVC vent, but make sure you get the right type of PVC)
* Rock solid temperature output as flow rates change
* Temperature doesn't spike or fall when another tap is turned on/off
* Very low turn on flow rates allow you to get warm water out of faucet taps
* Reasonably quiet operation

So far we've run into no negatives that I can think of, unlike our old unit
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2015
Our Noritz was installed in 2010 and has had several problems. Now the tank started leaking yesterday and there is no hot water.
on June 16, 2015
hate it ... it keeps shutting off ... and all I get is BS excuses ...
on January 1, 2016
Minor damage to unit
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2015
Unfortunately, we have had poor experiences with the Noritz Tankless just like everyone else here has. It worked great for a couple of months, and then nothing but flashing error code after error code. My shower every morning fluctuates from hot to cold as the unit can't produce consistent heat. The flame sensor is poorly constructed, because the slightest amount of dust in the unit (yes, most of these units will be installed in some kind of utility/heater space in the house, and there WILL be dust Noritz!) throws it off. Noritz replaced the first unit for us after months of non-stop problems and repairs, and the second one worked great for about a year. Now it is starting to have all of the same problems the first one did. We paid a huge amount of money for this. I'm very upset.
on June 27, 2014
I purchased a Noritz NRC98-DV-NG around mid April 2014 and installed it myself. I have had problems with fluctuating water temperature since it was installed. I contacted Noritz, they did troubleshooting and told me I had a cross connection. I have never had any problems with my tank heater or my plumbing, my house was built in 2002. I called a Noritz certified plumber to come out and verify, he looked it over and said he would change out the shower valve first. This plumber did not charge me. So I buy a new shower valve $150, cut a hole in the drywall replace the valve patch all that up. I still have the same problem so I call Noritz, they say I still have a cross connection. I get a different Noritz certified plumber out, he charges $185 to show up and diagnose the problem. Plumber number 2 checks everything out and charges an additional $160 to troubleshoot with Noritz on the phone because there is a problem with the unit. They decide there is a bad circut board in the unit. Noritz is sending a new one out free of charge. I call Noritz after plumber number 2 leaves and I want to be compensated for all the money I am spending on the faulty unit they sold me. They tell me they can give me $120. The Noritz representative on the the phone said he could ask his boss, he may be able to get me $220. Did I mention I have to either install the circuit board myself or pay a plumber to come out and install it once the replacement arrives? So I am into this tankless unit $495, hours of plumbing appointments, and the valve replacement and drywall repair. Needless to say I still have a non working unit and I am out tons of time and money. Me and the Wife have also endured fluctuating water temperature for the last several months. The unit was around $1200 and I spent an additional $300 for an isolation valve kit and installation materials. Noritz doesn't know me very well, they will soon enough. I would recomend sticking glass in your eye over buying a product from Noritz.
0Comment6 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse