5.0 out of 5 stars An art lesson, in and of itself.
Published on March 16, 2007 by Carolyn J.

3.0 out of 5 stars could have tried harder...
Published on August 19, 2011 by N. Giraud

5.0 out of 5 stars An art lesson, in and of itself., March 16, 2007
Carolyn J. (Ventura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator (Hardcover)
My family is artsy, and when I was little, my dad or my uncle (I was too young to notice) gave this book to Grandpa for Christmas. It was the BIG GIFT that year. We all ooohed and aaahed over it. Grandpa and Grandma handled it so reverently. Whenever I would visit Grandpa and Grandma, I loved to sit down and look at every picture. (I had to wash my hands first.) This is a big book, like a coffee table book, with many, many pictures in full color, and big enough to see all the details. I could see how he painted each picture, how he handled the light, the expressions on the faces, how he made each person seem like someone you knew (or yourself), and how he make each story in the paintings reveal itself. The pictures are not shrunken down, black-and-white half-tones. They are reproduced like fresh Post Covers. I would sit there for a long time absorbing every page. I don't know if it has EVERY post cover, but it seems to, as well as other things like calendar pictures. When I grew up, I wanted that book so badly, so I went to a used book store (before the Internet) and bought it for $80, which was a lot for a young adult, but worth it. If you can get it for less, more power to you. This has more Norman Rockwell pictures than another Norman Rockwell book that I have ever seen. So if you only get one Norman Rockwell book, this is the one to get(except for his autobiography, which is hilarious.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rockwell Book Ever, June 11, 2008
Z. Rodrigues "Ze Ro" (montreal, quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
I have an Early 1970's copy. I bought it used and in the inner sleeve was written Merry Christmas 1972 Mom and Dad, From Bob and Carrol. I found this book is as old as I am and has lived another life altogether.

Anyway here's my review. This is the biggest Norman Rockwell book I have ever seen and I own 90% of the popular ones. This being said, i must comment on the greatness of the printing. Some paintings like The Land of Enchantment, A problem We all Live With, Strictly a sharp shooter, Yankee doodle and quite a few others are available in a gigantic fold out version in startlingly great color. Thats not all....The book is also full of small Prints glued into the pages. WOW!!! and to add to all that theres a Ton of color pictures printed directly in the book. Alternate sketches, Pictures he used as reference for the paintings such as shuffletons barbershop. I paid Under 5 bucks for this used and Its a crime. But its now one of my treasures and hopefully you'll get one too.

If you must buy only 2 Rockwell books get this one (Norman Rockwell Artist and Illusttrator) and The Saturday evening Post (The Complete Cover collection 1916 to 1971)

5.0 out of 5 stars The man who painted average America, January 25, 2009
This review is from: Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator (Hardcover)
Thomas Buechner, a past director of the Brooklyn Museum (1960-71) has written the definitive Rockwell story in this beautiful book. In the first fifty-six pages he reveals all you really need to know about the artist including a fascinating few pages about Norman's painting technique and nicely it shows some close-up examples of this. The rest of the book looks at each decade up to the Sixties with relevant illustrations.

This is an absolutely stunning book but you should know that the one currently offered by Amazon is not the same as mine. There seems to have been various editions of the title since the first one in 1970 and you should attempt to find this one because:
*The size is 17 inches by 12.5 and weighs 11 pounds (compare these with the Amazon Product Details) all editions seem to have 328 pages.
* The 1970 edition has 11 gate-folds printed on thick stock, two of which are 45 inches wide.
* There are twenty tipped-in paintings (when was the last time you saw these in a book?) approximately 10 inches by 11, including the one on the cover. With a bit of care you could remove your favorites, frame them and have your own Rockwell gallery.
* There are 614 illustrations with 111 in color, because different papers have been used the screen various between 150 and 175. The decades are separated by thick brown stock with gold lettering.

I haven't seen the latest edition and maybe it does have fold-outs and tipped-in pictures though I doubt it looking at the price. I'm sure the text and paintings are the same in all editions but the huge 1970 version, because of way it is produced, is the one to go for. It really is a Rockwell treasury.

***SEE SOME INSIDE PAGES by clicking 'customer images' under the cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars could have tried harder..., August 19, 2011
This review is from: Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator (Hardcover)
This book is enormous. There are some beautiful images, and a number of fold-out pages that make it an impressive book. But I'm disappointed to see that so many of the images are photos of the actual Saturday Evening Post covers, and not photos of the paintings that were made for the covers. It's an important distinction. This is a copy of a copy. Photos of the paintings themselves would have had much better detail, and wouldn't have had the SE Post logo printed across the top. A couple of the covers they used were creased. There are enough good images here to make it worthwhile, and big ones at that, some of which are pictures of the actual paintings. The book is a nice part of my collection. But it's a bit over-rated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great artist great book !, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator (Hardcover)
Can't say enough about this book ! One of America greatest artist and this book has all of his best work !

5.0 out of 5 stars Did Rockwell personally act to infuse his color Palate in the Vinyl Siding Industry., August 31, 2014
This review is from: Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator (Hardcover)
Very good book describing the works and historicity of Normal Rockwell. I would like to ask the patrons of Amazon here to add any other books written by or about Normal Rockwell with any actual history that he personally did or interacted with Vinyl Siding Companies as they claim their siding is "Inspired" by Normal Rockwell.
I would like to know the following. 1. Was Normal Rockwell ever a personal adviser to any Siding organization, or manufacturer personally 2. What did he actually contribute to the actual colors used as his "Inspired works" of Vinyl siding, which is now common place on almost every U.S. house today. 3. Did Normal Rockwell ever meet with, or personally discuss his color palate with any specific Corporation, person, entity or Distributor of siding as the Normal Rockwell collection uses his name, but has scanty information on if or how Norman Rockwell was involved with the color choices they freely use his name as to their inspiration or his "inspiration". 4. Any personal research you have done, or any personal events you can find that show Normal Rockwell ever even spoke to anyone regarding Vinyl Siding or his choices for what he would like to see on actual homes in the world and Specifically in the U.S.
This is a good book, but it does not address this issue, as it would seem any History work on Normal Rockwell should have, since most people that do not study art, or are artists only hear about him when they go about putting new siding on his house, usually in the process of having an in home presentation by a "Tin Man" or Siding salesman or company that uses the Normal Rockwell collection in their business
This would be kindly appreciated and would answer many questions in the U.S. about exactly HOW Normal Rockwell got associated with Color infusion in the Vinyl Siding industry, did he make money from this, does his inheritors make money from this, and did he actually sit down with someone and pick their color palates for Siding or are they just using his name by proxy.
Thank you, and buy this book, it is worth every dime, as Normal Rockwell is my favorite artist of all time, his illustrations are among the best the world has ever seen with both his technical and also whimsical bringing to life a blank canvass.
Thank you for reading this. Any replies to this would be enlightening to the Art world, and to the documentation of his personal History which has obviously some major gaps, as do the stories of so many great American Icons,. So lets spread this word and find the fact from the fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Norman Rockwell Book Made, June 11, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever Rockwell, June 11, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Rockwell book ever Made, June 11, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars A true treasure (at an amazingly low price)!, April 13, 2013
Craig M. Berg (Romney, West Virginia) - See all my reviews
The plates of Rockwell's drawings (several of which are huge pull-outs) have spellbound me and many friends. No artist consistently moves me to tears more than Norman Rockwell, and this is the very best book I have encountered of his work. Many years ago I wanted to give this book as a gift, but couldn't find it. I gave a smaller book of Rockwell's works and it provided great joy to its recipients. But THIS is the one I really wanted to gift.

Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator
Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator by Thomas S. Buechner (Hardcover - September 1, 1996)
Used & New from: $37.85