5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
To say that you can spend hours browsing through this wonderful collection is an understatement. This is a book that can be savored over a lifetime.
Published on November 27, 2001 by Samantha W. Mckevitt

2.0 out of 5 stars Deception
This would be a wonderful book for Rockwell's fans BUT the poor quality of the printing and the copies of illustrations made me regret buying it.

It still makes a nice book on the shelf.
Published on September 24, 2007 by Emmanuel Oettinger

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, November 27, 2001
It shows the progression of Rockwell's art from his early, almost Victorian style covers, to his most famous illustrations, to his political portraits. It always annoys me that people claim he is an illustrator, not an artist. Simply because these pictures tell a story should not detract from their artistic merit.
This volume has them all. From the beautiful, awkward, girl at the Mirror, Doctor's appointment and countless others that are not as well known, but still great! So many of these paintings allow us to learn more about America (Can you get much more American than Norman Rockwell?). His GI- Willie Gillis is truly everyman during WWII. We seem enjoying a hometown newspaper, on leave, with his comrades, and finally as a student on the GI Bill. So many ideas are timeless. The chronicle of a day in the life of a boy or girl seem to embody childhood. Commuters on a platform captures the rise of suburbia. THe one of a son sitting with his father and dog about to leave for college captures that bittersweet moment on the cusp of adolescence.
The sunlit, yet dusty, Marriage Liscense is generally recognized as art, but others should be too. I hope that with the recent Rockwell exhibets a new generation of Americans will appreciate this wodnerful artist who captured so much of our lives!
This is a great addition to any collection- you will never tire of looking through it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Collector's Item, April 13, 2000
By A Customer
If you can only have one Norman Rockwell book, look no further. This is the quintessential Norman Rockwell. You can spend hours and hours looking at the illustrations and still not fully grasp all the subtle nuances - like the cameo paintings within the painting; the relections in the mirror; the advertisements in the folded newspapers; and so on. I have only found one inconsistency. In "The Clock Mender" some areas in the painting make an abrupt departure from his trademark quasi-realistic style. It reminds me of Picasso's "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon". Was Rockwell cleverly introducing "Surrealism" into this particular painting, in an inverted Salvador Dali sort of way? Or was the original painting simply damaged and then retouched by someone else? It would make delightful reading if Mr Finch, or anyone else, could offer an explanation.
From Kelvin

2.0 out of 5 stars Deception, September 24, 2007

It still makes a nice book on the shelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality prints, December 13, 2008
Although there are plenty of large prints of his work the quality here is terrible! The colours are washed out and grainy, doing Rockwell a great disservice by not being a true representation of his amazing work, Very disappointed I bought this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, May 9, 2008
Z. Rodrigues "Ze Ro" (montreal, quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This is not a review of Rockwells work as much as it is about the quality of the book. Its a nice big book , with one cover following the other. the quality of color is a bit sub standard and the descriptions at the end make things a bit hard to flip back and forth. A brilliant collection ofcourse but not as nice as I expected. Tom rockwell's best of Norman Rockwell is smaller but way better print quality. I do recommend this book ofcourse for the genius and technique of a great american master.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the description carefully!, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Norman Rockwell: 332 Magazine Covers (Tiny Folio) (Hardcover)
So, lets start with the good things about this book: It's thorough. You get a great review of Rockwell's styles as they change through the years. You can almost see exactly when he began using a camera to set up his illustrations. It's a great reference catalogue.

Then there are the bad things: Most notably, while the description talks about "full size format" I actually bought the 'Tiny Folio' edition. Which has 4" square pages - so any real use of the book is thwarted. I bought the small size because Amazon's website confusingly led me to it through the used Marketplace FROM the page of the original sized book! Here I thought I was getting a great deal on a good book...instead I got a novelty item.

That being said, even a full sized book would leave the viewer wanting to see better reproductions (or best of all - the actual painting). Seeing Rockwell's paintings in person is no match for even the best reproductions.

I'm not going to return the book because the error was mine (albeit on a thoroughy confusing website).

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!, September 22, 2005
This is real art. These covers are traditional Americana as it was or at least should have been in the America Norman Rockwell so loved. Study each of these works and you'll be rewarded with an innumerable collection of tiny "extras" this master hid in his paintings. This is a great gathering of very fine and highly charming visual stories.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing publication of a Masters works, August 5, 2012
I love Norman Rockwell paintings, and I jump at the chance to see his works when possible. So when I found this book at my local book store, I was thrilled to have such a massive collection of Rockwell's paintings in one collection on my bookshelf. Sadly, in my stupor over my find, I failed to fully inspect the prints as closely as I should have, otherwise I would have noticed how washed and faded the colors are on all of the prints (the exception being the cover sleeve, which was more vibrant than the print found in the books pages). It's sad that so much of the color is just absent from the paintings, but I suppose that's what happens when a publisher cares more about money than about quality. Save your pennies folks and just go see the real things in a museum when they come through your neck of the woods.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs firmly down on this Rockwell, December 13, 2013
I downloaded the Kindle edtion. No stars for this . It isn't often I order something from Amazon that I regret, but this one was a waste. The images are poor visually, and that's everything for Rockwell. After all, this artist is acclaimed for his uncanny ability to catch the telling detail and for his color sense. Also, the images appear on a white background that only aggravates the poor renditions. Save your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Reproductions of the Original paintings, September 15, 2010
Basically this seems like reproductions of the covers of the magazine rather than the paintings themselves. I saw the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the museum a year ago. I was largely unfamiliar with his work and always thought his stuff was kind of cheesy, I mean they were featured on long john silvers cups and plates. Seeing his paintings live made me a eternal fan, I went back 4 times! Naturally I had to have this book and after the first review said it was "the" book to have, done deal. Well I got mine today and when I opened the book I turned my head in horror. The paintings depicted in this book lack the contrast and the correct colors of the original paintings. It's like all the soul and magic was sucked out of the images. It's a big and nice book and maybe I'm spoiled but I'm sure the artist would be pissed seeing his paintings depicted in this manner. Take the image on the cover. This one really stood out to me in the museum. It was painted so brilliantly with smooth buttery strokes and it had the cool shadows to contrast the warm skin tones. It was all lost. Its all wrong. I really wanted this book to be good so badly to feel some of what I felt when I saw these awesome paintings. Sorry, I'm sending mine back.
**NOTE** It does say 332 magazine covers not 332 paintings so I sort of got what I paid for. Perhaps the guy couldn't get access to the originals. There where a bunch of words in the book maybe it said something about that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Norman Rockwell: 332 Magazine Covers (Tiny Folio)
Norman Rockwell: 332 Magazine Covers (Tiny Folio) by Christopher Finch (Hardcover - October 1, 1997)
$11.95 $10.05