5.0 out of 5 stars Really good grinder
Published on July 14, 2009 by D. A. J.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chinese Piece of Crap!
I HATE this grinder! I was going to get the Marcato Atlas Grain Mill. I found this one at half the price & bought it instead. MISTAKE. I am so pissed off at myself! Don't waste your money! Check out the Marcato Atlas Grain Mill instead.
Published on August 22, 2009 by Kitten Kisser

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Chinese Piece of Crap!, August 22, 2009
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
Impossible to grind flour even over & over again. It makes flakes but they take forever. If you clamp it too hard to the counter it starts to tip over. Sooooo you have to clamp it loose. This means it MOVES! So you have to keep fixing it. It has 3 adjustments for the rollers. What a joke! Every time I try to adjust it, it comes out of the other side! And the only setting in all 3 is "rolled" or not. There is no flour. Every setting produces a variety of a flake. Not nice smooth flakes but flakes with tread marks on them from the rollers. The turning handle falls out when I let go to reposition the grinder after it moves due to the loose clamping situation, or if I barely bump it. On the floor lands the F'n handle.
For the record, I have a manual grain grinder from Back To Basics but it doesn't do flakes, that's why I purchased this. I also have a fantastic electric grain mill. I use my mills regularly & do not have my head up my backside regarding the proper usage, not that it is rocket science.
Bottom line: DO NOT BUY! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good grinder, July 14, 2009
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
I was surprised that this grinder got wheat so fine. I was thinking it would simply roll the wheat, but it actually grinds hard red and hard white wheat enough to use to make dough. It is manual, so I wouldn't recommend it for doing a lot of baking, but if you are going to use it occassionally or want a back up to your electric grinder - this will do the job. The price was great as well. My kids also love using it - an added bonus!

4.0 out of 5 stars It works well for me, January 6, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
I like this little grinder. For wheat I put the setting on '1' and away I went. The wheat had a grain/flour consistency and a second pass made it just fine. The only negative I've had so far is with the flour catcher - it's not quite big enough and there is a little mess but I solved this problem with a plastic leftovers container.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great for making cracked wheat cereals., January 27, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
Makes Cracked Wheat cereal really well compared to any of our other grinders electric and manual. However so far it isn't making the best flakes or flake like Oatmeal flakes that are flattened like material. It however exceeds in cracked wheat which so many grinders do a poor job. So in and of that it has hit the bulls eye pretty darn close. It supposedly has three different settings. However as it came the two settings that are suppose to prevent one cylindar from turning doesn't work or isn't adjusted right. We are looking into it closer and find that there are other settings if you take it apart to see how it works but not sure we've figured out how to get it to work right and gain that flattened grain we also were hoping to use this for. I bought it as the cheapest model I could find for two purposes which were to make our own oatmeal and others say it works for that and also flatten barely for home made beer. However finding something that grinds wheat and other grains to the cracked wheat desire makes up for even if it doesn't flatten the grains and flakes them as we were hoping for. Either way it's great little object as these things go and like it's stainless too. It turns the cracked wheat very fast also when set in the one position I think it was. That is how it came one position....like I said we are fiddling with it. If you like the cracked wheat cereals and mixed grains this item is probably what you are looking for. I got it here at as much as 50% off elsewhere with free shipping so awesome price that day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Manual Grinder!, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
This is a great little grinder! I have been looking for a manual grinder so that I could make fresh organic cracked wheat, but didn't want to spend a fortune. My electric grain mill will only make flour on the coursest setting. I was nervous about the purchase because I had read so many horrible reviews about the other manual grinders that I considered affordable, and I didn't want to end up with another horror story. I saw that it sells on the Breadbeckers website so I assumed it would be decent, so I shopped around and found the best deal here on Amazon. I just tried it tonight to make cracked wheat for tomorrow's breakfast and it was quite easy! It did take about 5 minutes, but it works smoothly and is very easy to operate. I haven't tried to make oat flakes yet, but I'm sure it will be fine for that as well. If you are looking for a grinder to make fine bread flour, this might work, but I imagine you'd have to pass the grain through more than once to get it fine enough. If you are looking for something to make healthy cereals and cornmeal this definitely is the one to get!!

5.0 out of 5 stars truth not bs, November 20, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
I bought this product in spite of the review from a competitor.
these negative reviews do a dis-service to the Amazon community.

this is not a $500.00 mill; it is however a useful and affordable kitchen tool.

If you need a small roller mill that also cracks grain well, buy this mill.

If you can't compete with a decent inexpensive product - tough luck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for cereal, not for flour., November 27, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
Grinds great for cereal, cracked grain and rolled oats, but disappoints for flour. Try as I might, even after numerous runs through the machine, I couldn't get the grain fine enough for flour.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's useful for rolling oats, not making flour, February 3, 2012
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
I bought this only to roll oats, not to make bread flour. I have been using almost every day to make rolled oats, and sometimes twice a day, ever since I received it - almost four weeks ago.

The commercially rolled oats are flat and smooth, but the serrated rollers in this machine leaves deep indentations in the rolled oats, which create a more fragile type of rolled oats, so they easily break into pieces. The taste and texture is excellent, but they don't have the same visual appearance as the commercial rolled oats.

Not much physical effort is needed to turn the handle and roll the oats, but the gears are imprecise and loose-fitting, which gives it a "rough" or "crude" feel.

So if you are more interested in the taste of freshly rolled oats rather than their visual appearance, then this machine might give you what you are looking for. However, I have never tried any of the other oat rolling machines, so I don't know how it compares to them.

I suppose this machine can grind soft grains into a coarse flour, but I don't see how it could possibly make a powdery flour, especially not with hard grains like Kamut. Some people suggest soaking the grains first, but I tried that with oats, and even though the rolled oats come out nicer, some damp grains stick to the rollers. I decided it is a waste of my time to soak the grains and clean the clogged rollers.

This machine has three rollers, and the third one is for an additional grinding of grains, but it adds to the problem of the rolled oats breaking into pieces. Fortunately, it's made of steel parts that are fairly thick, and it is held together with ordinary bolts and screws, so I took it apart, removed one of the upper rollers, and moved the drive roller into that location. I needed only a metal file and a drill. These modifications reduce the effort needed to crank the handle, and the cranking is more "smooth". It now produces lots of large flakes of oats and few broken pieces. I put a video on YouTube about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Breaks Easily, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
In two months, I have had two of these grain mills break. Both times it was a small gear that just broke in two. I have given up on this machine and will try another. I was not abusing the machine but simply grinding wheat berries. Their customer service was good, but I have lost faith in the product

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for cereal for the most part., July 27, 2011
This review is from: Norpro Grain Grinder (Kitchen)
I finally broke down and purchased this Norpro grinder. I only wanted to roll oats as I already have a good grain mill that does fine grinds for wheat flour, etc. The build is decent but it is a bit annoying that the handle falls out easily. I can keep it in easily enough but my daughter can't. Other than that I have no complaints about the build. It attaches to the table very well and have no problems with it loosening. I am only doing oats though and they are a much gentler grain-so the grinder itself is not very stressed. I would be glad if it flattened the oats a bit more than it does but it is sufficient as I don't mind a bit of texture. I would say it flattens and ends up to some degree with a steel cut oat texture (with it leaning more to the flatter side!). So..depending on what you expect it to do and for me that was to roll oats. I am content.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›