5.0 out of 5 stars A very good product for the price
I'm wondering why it never occurred to anyone else to simply put a 9x13 under their sauce master to collect the sauce. I use one of my baking pans and it holds plenty of strawberry puree for jam. It pours well into a measuring cup without a mess. So no, there isn't a problem with design here.
Also, my sister in law has another company's similar product and...
Published on June 23, 2009 by janasjots

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but better than using my Foley Mill..
I am giving this 3 stars because there are some fundamental flaws...but even with those flaws, this has it all over doing jam the hard way with a foley mill. My arm is not killing me, and my kitchen is not a disaster area post making jam.

Published on June 30, 2012 by Rourri

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good product for the price, June 23, 2009
janasjots (the great Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)
Also, my sister in law has another company's similar product and complains that in making sauces her's splatters off the screen very badly. Mine is perfectly clean as the sauce guard catches all of it. There is at times a problem with the discard backing up and falling into the sauce but it only happens when my children are running the machine and not paying attention. An adult should have no problem getting it to work without incident.

5.0 out of 5 stars sauce master food mill, April 29, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)
I borrowed a sauce master from a friend about six years ago, fell in love with it and had to get one. I love it, just the fact that you don't have to peel and core apples makes it worth the price. I can apple sauce, apple butter, apple juice, grape juice, berry juices, tomato juice and tomato puree and haven't found an easier way...a real time saver, especially with apples and tomatoes. I put a wide and squat stainless bowl under it to catch the juices and pulp and have no problem. One review claims that you lost too much tomato pulp with the skin....you should really skin the tomatoes first by dropping them in boiling water for a minute and plunge them in cold water....the skins just come right off.

Another review claims you have to strain through cheese cloth to get clear juice. Every canning recipe I have ever used for juices or jellies, tells you to strain the juice through a jelly bag or cheese cloth. Instead of cheese cloth, which can be a pain, I use a fine mesh strainer which I sit on top of large pitchers and it works great.

I can approximately 300 jars per season and would never be with out my sauce master. I recommend this product to everyone who cans their own food.

Good luck and happy canning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but better than using my Foley Mill.., June 30, 2012
Rourri "rourri" (Boston Metro Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)

I love the fact that this is a stationary device and that is has a large intake chute, unlike the kitchen aid "fruit and veggie" strainer. As it is clamped to my counter, I don't have juice going everywhere as I do with the foley hand crank mill as that thing tips and shifts all the time. The Norpro does exactly as the package says it does: It cuts down the food processing time to half.

The flaws as I can see are already documented on here with other peoples reviews, I do have some solutions though. It is very hard to get anything but a low bowl in to catch the sauce as it comes out (I ended up using a low casserole dish that is oblong for max coverage), and the seed waste has no "catch" area but the bowl you are catching your sauce in. I did cover the "out chute" flange of the waste spigot with a baggie and a bull clip to collect the waste and prevent it from going in with the sauce. It is an extra step, and if you are willing to do that, this thing works like a charm. One could also butter up a husband or a nice neighbor with power tools to cut the sauce slide in half to fit a larger bowl under...but I do digress. It should work out of the box with out any augmentation.

The drawback that I would like to call folks attention to is that the auger is made of a soft plastic. I noticed wear and tear on the last two threads of the Norpro auger after just one use. I would like to mention that I did push this thing to its limit and put the seed waste thru a second time. I got more juice, and tried it 1x more... I believe that is what caused my auger to wear a bit. But My Kitchen Aid auger is made of a hard durable plastic, and I have used it for everything I need to grind, and it is still going strong. I didn't think that it would wear in the manner that it did.

The only other thing I would like to voice is the plunger is made of cheap hollow plastic. If it breaks I will probably replace it with a dowel from Lowes or Home Depot...

In the end, this thing is a vast improvement on hand cranking with a tipsy foley mill. I will keep this item and it is well worth the money I spent on it. It just could be a bit better.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M IN LOVE!, October 13, 2010
Didn't buy this off Amazon, I had it at a local store. A friend told me that she bought one since they have numerous apple trees in their yard. She makes applesauce and said that it worked wonders for her. I bought and made applesauce the next day. It took me a total of 20 minutes to cut, cook and make 1 1/4 quarts of applesauce (it was about 1/2 a plastic grocery bag of apples). I nearly cried. The seeds, core, stem and peel all come out from the open end while the applesauce shoots down the slide. My 3 year old even helped turn the crank for it. Now I can do lots of applesauce in a very short amount of time. My friend has also riced potatoes (for making lefsa) and did 2 large pots in about 5 minutes.

One thing I do know is that you need to clean the screen as soon as possible. The mesh is not stainless steel and will rust if not cleaned and dried off as soon as you are done using it. Other than that, I can't say enough about this product! Definitely a must have if you make your own baby food (which we do), applesauce, jams, salsas, pumpkin puree and just about anything else that you may can. LOVE IT!

3.0 out of 5 stars A few key design flaws, October 26, 2010
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)
This is much more efficient than other types of food mills, but the screen is a reactive metal and hard to clean. High acid fruits have been reacting with the metal around the edges of the screen and much scrubbing and soaking are required to de-gunk the tiny holes on the seams. This may not be a problem with tomatoes, but is with other fruits.
The plastic splatter guard is welcome after using an old Victorio, but ill-fitting. I cannot get it to stay on snugly while in use.
Unlike the Roma model, which includes a plastic cone to guide away the waste material, the exit hole is very close to the tray. This inconvenience is exacerbated by the loose tray, which wanders under the hole to catch stray skins and seeds.

Overall, I found this model to be functional but not ideal. A stainless steel screen and properly fitting parts would greatly improve it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sauce master does not meet claims, September 26, 2008
The sauce master makes good tomato juice but not tomato puree. At least 1/4" of pulp is lost with the skin-way too much to waste. Went back to just canning diced and whole tomatoes the old fashioned way. Also tried the grape spiral. Too many solids and too cloudy and the spiral clogged up with skin/seeds and it did not come out the end-just sat in the spiral so became hard to turn as it compacted. Would have to add another step and strain with cheescloth to get clear juice. Going back to hot water method of making grape juice where I get perfectly clear grape juice with little effort. The pumpkin screen also takes too much pulp with the skin. Not into wasting food. Can get just as smooth pumpkin puree with a hand mixer and no waste. If you just want tomato juice, it is fine but don't expect much else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 9, 2009
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)
I used this to make TONS of applesauce for canning and am delighted with the result! My 3 year old loves cranking it. Now we're using it for baby foods and I plan to put my home grown tomatoes through it. More than pleased about not skinning, coring, seeding, etc etc by hand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some very basic flaws, September 15, 2013
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)
The product works well for cooked apples and tomatoes but has some basic flaws

First, the product and the instructions both indicate using raw tomatoes for sauce....NO! Either the unit jams up or the majority of the flesh of the tomato is discarded along with the seeds and skin and you are left with weak juice. Cook the tomatoes thoroughly first!

The base of the unit where it clamps on the table is so small that the unit does not stay firmly attached while using, you have to reposition, retighten constantly

When straining tomato sauce, it leaks making quite a mess.

The white tray to guide the juice doesnt actually snap on the unit. I have had to modify it to fit. Once it is on it leaves such a low clearance to the table that you could only make tiny amounts of sauce at a time unless you have the ability to set the pot on a lower surface (requires a SQUARE edged table)

The screen rusts quickly.

It does do it's job, but not as well as it could. In retrospect I wish I had paid the extra $40 for the kitchen aid attachments that performs this function.

Overall the unit is messy and not worth using unless you are processing a LARGE amount, however the positioning of the guide makes a large amount cumbersome

3.0 out of 5 stars Rusts & Hard to Keep Clean, July 19, 2011
Patricia Nelson (California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)
Pros:
-Very fast
-Very little waste; very efficient
-Excellent job removing tiny raspberry seeds from raspberries
-Wouldn't attempt applesauce-making again without it! -increased yield noticeably and cut back on time tremendously

Cons:
-Most glaring problem that is making me look into a different brand: poor finish (chrome as opposed to a quality stainless steel which it needs to be) on the metal screen and internal metal parts (bolt, spring, etc.) such that the acid from the fruit is corroding it and after a couple seasons of use it is rusting and VERY difficult to clean properly
-the refuse end needs an extension on it such that you can fit a bowl under it to catch the seeds/skins. I have notice the Roma brand has an extension to solve this problem, but I do not know anything else about the Roma unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with this sauce maker., October 16, 2013
This review is from: Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master (Kitchen)
This sauce maker is easy to assemble and set up, but the auger clogs with seeds and skins so much I have to disassemble it to clean the auger and put it back together. It leaves much of the pulp in with seeds and skins. Also, it is hard to clean. It is not stainless steel and the fruit enzymes react with the metal. I would not purchase this product again.

Norpro 1951 "The Original" Sauce Master