Published on April 6, 2009 by B. A. Sjoblom - Chyatte

3.0 out of 5 stars It does its job well, but...
Never having used one before, I was pleased to see how well the butter keeper works. It's such a practical gadget based on a simple principle.

Published on April 5, 2007 by Jimmy K

3.0 out of 5 stars It does its job well, but..., April 5, 2007
Jimmy K (Thief River Falls, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)

Unfortunately, after about six months the Norpro revealed a problem that makes me think it should be replaced. The glazing developed many (almost invisible) hairline cracks under the butter, and oil from the butter was then absorbed by the clay container. After washing and drying, the container now slowly oozes rancid oil through the glaze. It continues oozing for many days, even after repeated washing.

I have come to love having softened butter on hand, and I will definitely buy another butter keeper, but I'll try a different brand. Perhaps this is one instance of getting what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Raw and Pasteuized Butter: THE PRO'S and CON'S of a BUTTER BELL ...all worth it!, April 6, 2009
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
I've used this butter bell for quite some time. I make homemade butter from fresh raw (unpasteurized) milk and the butter bell keeps it fresh on my counter top. The butter bell works well in cooler months but when summer sets in, it is possible for the butter to slide into the water --butter is still good, just scoop it out of the water. In winter months, change the water every few days; in summer months, use very cold water and change it everyday. Use around 1.5" of salted water in your butter bell to make the seal. The purpose of the water is to seal the butter off so it will not oxidize as quickly. The purpose of the salt is to stop mold in the summer months. It sounds like a lot work but it doesn't take 10 seconds. For those of you who buy retail butter, it is pasteurized and usually salted so it keeps longer than homemade butter. In Summer, place your butter bell in the fridge after retiring for the evening. First thing in the morning, take it out for the day. In winter, if changing the water regularly your butter will stay fresh on the counter for several weeks; however, in summer, your butter will only stay fresh for a week. If using raw butter in the butter bell you can only leave it out for a week in winter and a few days in summer. You must wash your butter bell in hot water and soap when all butter has been used before putting in more butter or it might mold (especially if you don't use salt in your water). Again, it may seem like a lot of time spent but it is not once you do it a few times it only takes seconds. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps butter fresh and spreadable, July 15, 2005
Homemaker "ela-123" (Greenfield, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
It keeps butter soft and ready to use. Water should be changed every 2-3 days to keep it fresh. We use a lot of butter and this makes it more convenient. It's not too large (about 4" high and 3.75" across) and holds a stick of butter. The easiest way to put butter in is to let it get soft before using a knife to pack it into the bowl on the lid. I try to get all the air pockets out and not let the butter mound over at the top. When the top goes into the base it will push the butter further in. When taking off the top, I usually let the excess water drip into the base so it doesn't get too messy. Washes easily in hot soapy water. You could put the whole thing in the fridge if you're not going to use the butter for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, October 15, 2005
Rence (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
It really does work. I was kind of skeptical, but I really do hate spreading butter when it's cold. I hate it melting and making a mess on my counter too. So I thought I'd try it.

This little guy keeps the butter contained, soft and spreadable. I even bought my brother one for his kitchen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Performance depends on ambient temperature, May 21, 2007
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
The ambient temperature in the room where you keep this has a significant effect on how well it works. It's pretty much the ideal way to store butter if the room temperature stays constant between about 60 and 75 degrees F. Below 60 degrees, the butter will be too hard to spread without tearing soft bread; above 75 degrees it will begin to melt and spoil even though air can't get to it. I much prefer fresh air, so I use heat and A/C as little as possible. When the indoor temperature falls within the optimum range I use and enjoy the butter keeper very much. Since that works out to be about half the time here in Western NY, I'm giving this three stars. The rest of the year I keep the butter in the fridge. I haven't seen anybody else even mention temperature as an issue, so I'm doing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps butter fresh and spreadable, June 26, 2007
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
I'd been wanting to get a butter bell for a while, and as summer approached I finally bought this one. In past years, our family had battled between leaving the (old) butter dish out on the counter so that the butter was soft enough to spread on toast (but after a few days the butter gets nasty and gets tossed) or keeping it in the fridge and then having trouble spreading it. I'd heard that butter bells were the answer, but the others I'd seen were quite a bit more expensive. This one is inexpensive and works very, very well. You put a full stick of butter into the bell part (I use the back of a spoon to pack it in, and the butter needs to be a little soft first), then fill the base about 1/4 full with water, and invert the bell in the base. The water forms a seal so that the butter does not go rancid. Even in really hot weather (we hit 89 inside the other day) the butter doesn't melt into the water. I change the water every third day or so. If you need butter on the table during a meal you can just stand the bell part so that the butter is facing up -- it is quite stable.

Since buying the Norpro I haven't had to throw away any butter, and everyone's happy. When the keeper is empty I just run it through the dishwasher, and load it up again after it is fully cooled off. The only improvement I'd make is to have a line inside the base showing how much water you need to put in. The first few times I added quite a bit too much and then had water all over the counter after inverting the bell.

Other butter bells may be more expensive, but this one works a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Bread is happy!, October 7, 2005
PachaMama (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
We love this! Even in Arizona heat, the butter stays in and is super soft. I let the butter soften a bit on the counter, then press it in, end first, using the paper wrapper to press all the air out and make the top of the butter even with the edge of the cup. Haven't had any problems with butter sliding out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Gadget!, November 5, 2005
Patricia A. Martin (Pot Nets Lakeside, Millsboro, DE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
After seeing one of these in a friend's house, I was determined to have one. Now I do, and I love it! There is one trick, however, to its use: do not overfill the bottom. Other than that, it's great. And it's soooooo nice to have soft butter any time I want it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as advertised., August 10, 2008
- Ceramic crock; keeps butter fresh for 30 days without refrigeration
- Water in base seals out air to keep butter soft, sweet, and spreadable
- Measures 4-inch in diameter; 3-1/2-inch tall
- Safe to use in dishwasher
- Water seals out air keeping butter soft, sweet and spreadable

I've found all the above claims to be true. I was very skeptical that it could hold butter upside down and do it well. I've had this butter keeper for well over a year, and we go through a lot of butter. Spreading butter on toast and other breads had always been an unpleasurable task since keeping butter outside of the refrigerator tended to get messy or wasteful once the butter got rancid, and spreading cold butter is just yukky. Now, it's always a pleasure. It holds a full stick of butter and that butter will keep until we use it up. I then pop the butter keeper in the dishwasher before changing to a new stick. I let the new stick soften somewhat before packing it into the butter keeper, fill the water container to about 1/4 inch with cold water, and that's it. I keep a very small container of cold water in the refrigerator to replenish the water in the butter keeper about every 2-3 days. I have gone longer than 3 days without replenishing the water in the butter keeper and although the butter never got rancid, I could tell it was not as fresh as changing the water sooner. If the butter is not packed well into the container or the water is not cold, some pieces of butter may fall into the water; but the butter retrieved from the water is still fresh and spreadable. One of my sons, a picky engineer, was visiting recently and was so impressed with using it that he "exclaimed" he wanted one, which makes one less problem in choosing his birthday gifts next month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Customer, February 28, 2006
This review is from: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper (Kitchen)
I have tried to buy this item locally for some time, without success. It's a great product & I am extremely pleased with being able to purchase it from Amazon, where I do get fast & courteous service.

Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper