5.0 out of 5 stars Best bridal shower gift of the millenium

3.0 out of 5 stars Bendy Tip
Published 23 months ago by Deanna

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bridal shower gift of the millenium, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
I am so disappointed that this product does not have thousands of five-star reviews on Amazon, because it is so amazing. It has changed the way I live in the kitchen. This is a skinny, long spatula that gets the job done. It is extremely flexible. It scoops the side of bowls well. It scoops out jars well. It has scooped out everything wonderfully that I have asked it to scoop. I could ask more of this spatula. My only thought has ever been: "What would happen if it broke?" Would my world end?

It did break, one day, when we scooped a very thick bread dough. Finding this spatula again on amazon is like meeting your true love for the first time all over again. I am buying this for my entire family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bendy Tip, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
I agree with the previous reviewer stating that the tip of the spatula is flexible. I have had success in cleaning out a mayonnaise jar and spreading soft frosting and handling other soft foods. However, I had difficulty scraping out denser foods such as thick tomato paste and peanut butter. I mean, they eventually got scraped out of their respective containers, but I had to work at it. The tip is very bendy and has its limitations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little spatula, March 2, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
I originally ordered this to help scrape the contents from the very bottom of my blender. However, I have also started to use it to help me get out the very last of products from the jars, and it definitely scrapes it clean. In fact, I don't even want to think about how much product has been wasted in jars when I threw them away as a regular spoon was pointless in scraping the jar out. Love it, and may look in to purchasing more :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Specialty Spatula, February 28, 2013
iammi "seek & find" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
I purchased this spatula based on its description and some of the reviews, plus thinking from the picture that it would match a set by Wilton that I already had. The head is not quite as good a quality as the Wilton set, as the head is neither clear blue or smooth silicon like the others; plus, the top half of the spatula head is quite weak/flimsy, so forget about cleaning out that peanut butter or jelly jar. Still, it is very useful for sauces, dressings and other things in skinny jars. It's also useful for stirring just about anything liquid in a glass. I did not find it very useful for icings as I prefer something smoother, wider and flatter. This spatula head is 4" long, 1" wide and 7/16" thick at the base (and for a good 1 inch and a half further) tapering down to about a 1/16 at the tip. Overall, it's 10 1/2 inches long, which, in my view, makes it useful in the kitchen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mine cracked, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
I bought this spatula based on the rave reviews here and really enjoyed using it at first. I made sauce for meatloaf one time and used it to stir the sauce, spread it and then scrape the bowl and it performed all those tasks flawlessly. It does seem pretty useful.

Note that this spatula tapers to a very thin edge toward the top. After using this just a few times the edge started to form a crack just like the previous thin-edged spatula that I owned and have also reviewed and had to discard. Based on my experience now with two of them thin-edged spatulas like this don't wear well. I ended up replacing this with the OXO Good Grips Silicone Jar Spatula and have never looked back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven in a Spatula, December 3, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
This spatula has become a daily grabber for me. It's so flexible, I use it to:

- spread oil on cookie sheets and silicone mats
- spread batter into perfect rounds
- get every bit of goodness out of my mixing bowls
- loosen cooked goodies from the pan while still hot
- scoop out every ounce of cream cheese from the container

It's amazing. I love, love, love it so much I just bought a second one, because I'm always using it!

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Spatula, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
This is the perfect spatula for small kitchen clean-up tasks -- getting all the tartar sauce out of the little bowl; no wasting of the last little dab of anything. It works great for folding an omelette. For the heavier tasks, you want something else. I don't think it would work to loosen the lug nuts on the car for example... : )

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't live without these, March 23, 2014
carobearo (Carlsbad, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
I love these little things. I bought a bunch a few months ago. Now I'm doing a lot more spatula-requiring work, so they are always in the dishwasher. I'm back to buy more of them.

They are great for cooking, of course, and for what they are made for, which is scraping jars. But most frequently I use them for diy cosmetics. I experiment every day, making tiny batches of whimsical products to see if my ideas will work. Usually these start off in a round-bottomed shot glass. Then I need to scrape the glass to move the material to a larger container. These spatulas are the holy grail tool. There are no unnecessary edges or ridges, just one smooth, continuous piece of silicone, as easy to scrape off and clean as they are to use.

I rarely use them with the handles attached. The handles are easily removed. Since I'm digging into shot glasses and small custard cups and beakers and such and then leaving them to sit in these vessels, the handles would only make them top-heavy.

The handles are made of acrylic. For frosting cakes, they are just the right combination of stiff handle and flexy business-end. But I don't put the handles in the dishwasher, as acrylic tends to split in that kind of heat. Like the silicone end, the handles are elegantly smooth and easy to hand-wash. Clear thinking went into the whole design.

Plus, they are blue, and pretty.

Tip: When washing any spatula in the dishwasher, point the tip of the scraper UP, so that water doesn't collect in the hole into which the handle inserts. If possible, remove the handles before doing so, even if the handles can also go into the dishwasher--eliminates unpleasant surprises in the form of old dish water falling into your frosting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst $7 I ever spent - a wet noodle would work as well, September 24, 2014
mariolina "mariolina" (Holliston, Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
Good idea, terrible execution. This is an example of what happens when someone designs a product that seems so simple there's no possible way it could be screwed up, so they decide to skip the testing. The result: a purported jar scraper that's too wimpy to scrape out jars. You might as well use a wet noodle. Perhaps if the hard plastic handle extended another 2 inches or so into the silicone, giving it a backbone, it would work better. Also, the silicone at the point where the handle is inserted should be wider than the handle and a bit rounded, so you could clean the area under the jar's "shoulder".

I've had this for nearly two years and still haven't found a good (or any) use for it. As a jar scraper, It's a complete failure. and, given how wimpy it is, I can't imagine that it would be any good as an icy spatula. (In my experience, an icy spatula needs to be rigid so you have some control. The one I use one made of stainless steel and has an offset.) I considered returning this, but it seemed environmentally irresponsible to waste so many resources to return such a small, inexpensive item.

P.S. I noticed that several of the positive reviews have mentioned that it works with mayonnaise. I have to admit that I haven't tried that yet. I don't use much mayonnaise and I usually have to throw it out before reaching the bottom of the jar because the date has expired. Maybe this spatula has value as a mayonnaise jar scraper. If it had been labeled as such, I would never have bought it because 1) I don't use much mayonnaise and 2) I don't believe in buying ultra-specialized gadgets and equipment, unless I expect to use them daily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent All-Round Kitchen spatchula, September 7, 2011
This review is from: Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue (Kitchen)
This spatula is one of my most versatile spatulas, and I own quite a few. I use it for scraping out the last drop of leftovers, such as soup, for reheating on the stove, then use it to get the last drop into a bowl. In a similar way, I often use it when making scrambled eggs or omelets, as the silicone is heat proof at these low temperatures. It also comes in handy when I cook one of my hot oatmeal cereals on the stove. I am making this review because I am thinking of buying another as a back-up as they are sooooo useful.