Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

VINE VOICEon December 6, 2008
Our last Norpro wire cheese slicer lasted 12 years!

The quality and durability of the Norpro line of cheese slicers gives me no reason to consider another brand.

This particular model is heavier than it appears (more so than our last one), which makes slicing firm cheeses a cinch. The handle is well balanced so you need only set the slicer on the cheese and push down gently. Your cheese cuts evenly and easily.

Cleanup is easy, too. We handwash the slicer, using an old toothbrush to clean around the adjustable screws.

In summary, this is a great value for the price and durability. We often buy firm cheeses in 2-pound blocks, which saves us a lot of money over sliced, deli cheese.

NOVEMBER 2009 UPDATE

The cutting wire finally broke, so we switched to the spare wire (included) today. That means this model lasted just one year. We wondered what was different than our past experience and, finally, concluded that our new kitchen helpers -- our sons, ages 5 and 7 -- may have something to do with it. Anyway, I'll post another update when this wire breaks. Hopefully, we'll get another year and more out of the replacement wire.

OCTOBER 2011 UPDATE

I'm dropping a star from my review (5 to 4) to reflect the reduced durability. Our first Norpro cheese slicer lasted 12 years; this model lasted less than three years.

The spare wire broke this week. My wife and I discussed this and agreed that we used the second model far more often and that our young sons were rougher with the slicer (helping in the kitchen, LOL). For these reasons, I deducted only one star from my original review. Our plans are to buy another Norpro slicer today. We still like the model's design, so we're going to give it a third try. We'll keep you posted.
review image
on September 4, 2009
A reasonably-priced, all-metal cheese slicer with a replaceable wire (comes with one extra wire). All the slicers I looked at in DC area grocery stores and big-box stores were flimsy junk by comparison, and often more expensive to boot.

The real test is gong to be how long it lasts under use in my household - I'm a lazy slug and will occasionally put this in the dishwasher.
on January 21, 2014
I will buy again!
Norpro Adjustable Cheese Slicer model 316 is very well made heavy duty professional type slicer.
It slices a wedge of heavy and dense Swiss Cheese very well. Great for all cheeses and should last if Hand Washed only!
The slicer comes with an extra wire taped to the back of the black insert that the slicer is resting in, so look for it.

I also have the Norpro Cheese Slicer HE331 for softer cheeses and would recommend this model for soft to medium room temperature cheeses. (remember that cheese is harder when it is cold).

I am Very impressed with the quality and it would make a wonderful gift.
Mine came in a fancy Norpro original package.

GREAT PRODUCT and Well worth the money for this Norpro 316. I am very happy!
on December 6, 2009
I am please with the construction quality and adjust-ability of this slicer. I am a little disappointed with the fact that the cutting wire loosened with just a couple of uses, although it can be tightened quickly and easily. I hand wash and use only to cut 2 lb. cheese blocks approx. once every week-and-a-half or so. I have had it for a couple of months, so the real test will be over the coming year. At this point, I would recommend purchasing this slicer.
on January 22, 2010
Sadly disappointed. The adjusting knob broke after three months. What appeared heavy duty simply is not. Looks like brass adjusting knobs--but appear to actually be a cast bimetal that snapped. See my item image--it tells it all. NorPro website does not provide a means for customer service.
review image review image
on September 21, 2011
My husband cuts a lot of cheese. When his favorite cheese slicer broke, we went through a lot of cheapies (and some not so cheap). The wires kept snapping. So he finally told me to go online and find a good quality slicer. This is what I got, and we are very happy. It is heavy, looks nice, and cuts just right. He does adjust it because he eats different types of cheese with different textures. We are also pleased that it came with a spare wire. We haven't had to use it yet, but it's like insurance - it's nice to have. Our cheese slicer never gets put away in a drawer. It lives on the counter, waiting to be washed, or in the drying rack, waiting to be used again.
on May 22, 2013
I love the weight of the slicer and it works perfectly for me. The adjusting bar is not notched, so trying to get the bar exactly the same place on each side is a little challenging, but works great. I definitely recommend it.
on October 15, 2010
Great cheese slicer. Very heavy duty and gets the job done with ease. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality slicer.
on July 26, 2011
I have an ancient Presto cheese slicer which has to be over 40 years old so I figured I'd replace it with one with an adjustable thickeness. This Norpro lasted about two months in actual use. No, we are not tryng to slice parmesean with it. It's impressive to look at, and heafty and shiny, but maybe you should only cut cream cheese with it - and don't adjust it! The 'adjustment' knobs on the side are made of brass - or some weak version of it - as another reviewer mentioned. On the inside there's supposed to be a disc shaped piece that's attached to the male piece that the female knob threads into which keep the knob in place (creating pressue between the outside and the inside which is what holds the roller in one place so it won't slide around - you really need to look at the pictures!). It might as well be made of thin plastic for all the good it does. It doesn't provide enough pressure to keep the roller from moving so you end up with wedge shaped pieces, and Heaven help you if you tighten it because the attached washer (disc shaped thing) suddenly loses its sides and the whole assemply simply falls out and the roller lands on your cutting board with a loud bang. In addition, the wire is not taught, so the thickenss of the slices was difficult to judge even before it disassembled itself. It's really a shame because if the material was stronger and the design was a tad better (maybe groves or even less smooth to keep the knob from sliding so easily) it could be a really good slicer. Too heavy, mind you, but some people find that impressive, I guess. As it stands, it's an utter waste of money and I strongly suggest you keep looking. If I can find the right elastic, maybe I can make a very small slingshot!

Update on Cheese Slicers: After going through several varieties I finally went to a 'restaurant supply store' (and they are really not that scarce once you start looking) and found a nice, solid, chrome one with a sturdy looking wire. I've had it for many months and have sliced all sorts of cheese and it's great - and it wasn't very expensive - so I strongly suggest you check out one near you to find a good cheese slicer.
on January 8, 2011
but wish it came with either some paperwork or had the name of the manufacturer somewhere on it because I don't have room to store "original packaging". It did come with one extra "blade" but I'm sure it will get lost before I need it and I won't be able to order more of the same ones.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse