Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Norpro Ceramic Pie Bird
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Change

on October 15, 2009
My mother always used a pie bird in her 2 crust fruit pies. I never really understood then, just thought it was cute. But, after seeing a cook on TV use one and gave the reason why, I tried it. And, oh my goodness did it ever work! If you use it right, you'll have a cooked, crisp bottom crust even with a 2 crust fruit pie. Promise. You just have to make sure you place the pie bird on top of the bottom crust BEFORE you place your filling. Pour the filling around the pie bird, and after rolling out your top crust, place a small "X" in the middle of the top crust and top your filling (so the "X" goes over the pie bird). Seal the edges and make a couple additional small vents with a knife and bake. Also, use a good glass pie pan!
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2009
Well, as usual Alton Brown talked me into needing something I didn't know I needed.... Well it works great, and makes such an interesting conversation starter at potluck diners.

You can buy a much less expensive white version in the Amish stores, but a blackbird is such a poetic thing to remember one's childhood nursery rhymes and have fun with the grandkids with besides.

I cut the crust with a small bisquit cutter and it fits right over the bird. Venting is as promised and I don't get boil over unless I totally overfill my pie, which I tend to do. This has really minimized the mess, even then.
on December 26, 2012
Not only is this pie bird cute as heck when the finished pie comes out of the oven, but it delivers what it promises: a well-cooked bottom crust. Makes for a fabulous conversation piece as well, as most people have never heard of a pie bird. I have purchased more as gifts to go with pie plates, etc for gifts. Great product!
review image
on July 20, 2010
I love these pie birds. This is my second in my long life; the other bite the dust a few years ago (it was dropped in the sink.) After managing poorly without it, I had to purchase another. They absolutely work, and if you bake fruit pies on any regular basis, and have experienced the horror of fruit juices bubbling over either onto a sheet pan or foil, or oven floor, this will cure that problem.

Just place the pie bird into the empty bottom crust, fill and top. Cut a small slit in the top crust before placing over the pie; I fold my top crust in half, cut a small slit and voila, fits right over the bird.

Get one of these birds, they don't break the bank and they will greatly cut down on the pie spillover/cleanup aggravation.
on February 16, 2013
I bought 2 of these one from this company and one from another company. This one is not made as well as the other. The openings are smaller and less effective than the one from le creuset is much better made and works much better and is well made. The difference in the price is minor.
on December 3, 2009
Not sure how much there is to say about a pie bird. If they work they are great, if they don't work they are worthless. This pie bird works! What kicks me up to 5 stars is the traditional "black bird" style (call me old school).

Of course, there are other birds out there that will certainly vent a crust, and I'm sure they are just as good. What I would avoid myself, is one that is attached to the pie dish. They are simply harder to clean and limit what you can use to make a pie with.

Happy Pie Making!
on December 31, 2012
Came upon these accidentally, and thought I would try them out. I ordered two so I could test them. I made four apple pies, two with the Norpro Ceramic Bird, and two without. One of the pies with it had vents placed around the crust, and one did not. I used identical dough, apples and other ingredients in the four pies, and they were all baked for the same time. The two pies made with the usual vents and no pie birds turned out perfectly. There was just the tiniest bit of liquid in each of those pies, and they did not spill over in the oven. The two pies with the birds, one with vents and one without, were filled with liquid, and the apples did not bake nearly as well. They also did not spill over (which is not usually a problem anyway). So while the pie birds looked nice aesthetically, they worsened the pies in terms of their actual purpose; namely to be eaten.
on December 14, 2011
nice little pie bird it is very thin ceramic so handle with care! It is glazed both inside and out so clean up will be easy. Its a nice classic pie bird at a good price
on November 16, 2012
I have had one of these for years but have never been able to find another. I was so happy to find them again. I bought one for my daughter and one for my granddaughter. They are fun as well as useful. It makes you smile every time you get a pie out of the oven and find this little bird sitting right there in the middle. They are well made as well.
on August 2, 2011
Norpro Ceramic Pie Bird, I love this bird in fact I have two of them on top of a tree trunk I use them when I make a Big Pie. The Pie Birds prevent the Pie Filling from boiling up and leaking through the Crust and keeping the Bottom Pie Dough from turning Soggy. I collect and got many of them and they do work. Everytime I make a Pie I select one and put it in the center on the very top of the bottom Dough and it makes it Crisp and Flaky by releasing the steam through his Beak. I have Roosters Mushrooms Little Chefs Seals and among all the ones I own. This one is Specially Nice! ...Thank You D.D.