5.0 out of 5 stars Great for yogurt pops and squeezable treats!
Published on April 30, 2010 by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Just OK - Not GREAT! My kid deserves the BEST
Published 11 months ago by klion80

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Just OK - Not GREAT! My kid deserves the BEST, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Norpro 431 4-Piece Silicone Ice Pop Maker Set - Assorted Colors (Kitchen)
I'm a 33 year old husband and father with a 2 year old. I don't write a ton of reviews but I use them a whole lot when I shop on Amazon so I've decided recently to start writing some reviews to help people out just like I like to be helped out when I'm deciding on making a purchase. I compared Norpro with this brand - Ice Pop Molds. Best 4 Piece Popsicle Maker Set - New Design Beats Old Ice Cream Trays, Bags or Sticks. Make Frozen Fruit Pops or Other Flavors. FDA Approved Silicone Lolly Molds are BPA Free. Includes 30 Free Recipes and 365 Day Money Back Guarantee and the difference was clear to see.

First off, I usually don't even do the purchases for the home and more specifically for my son but my wife got ill back in April of this year and I've been picking up the slack as much as possible. Back in April, I bought this ice pop mold set for my son and everything was fine ..... at first.

After a few months and a few uses they began to give off an odor all the ice pops we actually made with the molds had a sort of "plastic" taste to it. Very uncomfortable for me - much less for my son. I decided to throw them out but we'd had such fun with these bad boys that I decided to see if I could find better ones. Ones that didn't smell and give off that bad taste. I did some research and found a review which helped me a lot. Since she said it so well I'll just quote what she said;

"I'm no expert but as it turns out from my research NOT all "food grade silicone" are created the same. With regards to food grade, the quality of the silicone makes all the difference. The reason the silicone molds started giving off this odor is most likely because it was made from a poor quality grade silicone that's usually stuffed with plastic fillers!"

This was SUPER helpful to me. She mentioned another brand "Cookhouse ice pop molds" she found that basically had a better quality silicone and therefore avoided the bad odor and taste

I just got these today and I'm hoping for a much better experience. I also just figured out I can update my Amazon review so I will come back later and update this review with my findings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Smell, May 3, 2011
I actually love these and they were perfect until after about the 3rd use. They smell is unbelievable. smells like something rotten left in the fridge wor months. I tried soaking them in vinegar, lemon, soap and water. I'm sad cause these were great. I can only guess that all these 5 star reviews were written before the smell kicked in. DON'T BUY!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for yogurt pops and squeezable treats!, April 30, 2010
I am so glad I found these things! My toddler loves eating yogurt and applesauce and this makes taking them on the go very easy. I just fill one, stick it in the freezer, and it serves as ice to keep her lunch cold until noon and then she can eat it like a popsicle. I love "gogurt" but hate the disposable packaging and added sugar. I love plum squeezable baby food but hate the price! This is perfect for both! (And the lid seems very flimsy but really does hold in liquid quite well and even my toddler can take the lid off and on!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally recommend these..., June 2, 2010
These are pretty darn nifty spifty!!! I bought 2 packs so that I can make a total of 8 ice pops at a time. I just made my first batch and I will add and update if I have any more feedback on this item.

I used regular apple juice because it's summer now and I wanted a cool icy treat but something healthy...not something that is full of high fructose corn syrup. I will experiment with other things as time goes on...maybe make frozen yogurt pops like the other reviewer suggested.

To fill the "tubes" I used a smallish funnel and then stood all the pop tubes in a large clean yogurt container, so that they would stand up easily in the freezer in the yogurt container.

After eating my first frozen pop, I cleaned out the tube and the lid immediately and I wedged the lid into the tube. This will allow air to dry out the tub but should keep the lid from getting lost. I stood the tube upside down so that excess liquid could drain out. I think it could be pretty easy to lose the lid if you are not careful.

I definitely recommend these and expect to update my post if I have further ideas to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problem with odor!, July 31, 2010
I was hesitant to buy these at first b/c of one the reviews re. odor, but I decided to try it anyway because of the price. Ours just arrived today and the kids tried it with pudding, applesauce, and juice and there was no odor problem whatsoever. My 5 y.o. is very sensitive to odors and he didn't complain of any. The lids are easy to take on and off and the silicone is very easy to grasp and squeeze. It will hold almost an entire portion of the snack cups of pudding and applesauce that you buy in the stores. I also didn't need a funnel to fill it since the mouth opening is pretty wide. I just used a spoon and scooped it in, although I probably would use a funnel for liquids. It fit perfectly in the kids lunch boxes. I am so glad I learned of these! I need to order more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, and green to boot!, April 30, 2011
Update, 11/30/11: I am back to buy my third set of these, because my husband loves them so much. I could not be more pleased with these, although I noticed there has been another price increase. They are still worth every penny! I am able to give my husband healthy, tasty ice pops with no food dye or high fructose corn syrup. We rinse them out as soon as we are done eating one. They have held up very well over many repeated freezings, rinsings and refreezings. I do want to re-emphasize that you should leave a good amount of air at the top before freezing. I leave about an inch. Otherwise, as they freeze, they will overflow the mold. There is definitely no odor to them, and I feel bad that a couple Amazon reviewers detect an odor. My only wish is that the molds came in some other colors!

Original review:

My husband takes medication that gives him a dry mouth. I was buying those 1.5 ounce freezer pops in boxes of 200 at one of the big-box warehouse clubs. But they were filled with food dye and too much sugar. And they create a lot of garbage when you throw away the wrappers. These molds are just the ticket. I bought 2 sets of them and fill them with apple juice, grape juice, iced tea, etc. My husband loves them and keeps telling me how much he loves them! It's easy to slide the pop upward as you eat, and you can cap it and put it back in the freezer to take a quick phone call, unlike the pops that you have to unmold completely before eating. There is no funny taste/odor to these molds. I like the color-coding, because my husband knows that blue is grape, yellow is apple, etc. Just don't fill them all the way to the top, or they will leak out as the liquid expands while freezing. I stand them up on the thin edge in the freezer, placing something in front and in back of them, and that works nicely. I don't lay them down, because then you get an odd-shaped pop and the liquid is right up against the cap. As soon as my husband eats one, he or I just rinse it out and refill it. Very "green". No more garbage! A nice extra benefit. I would recommend buying a couple of sets at a time, so that you have refilling/refreezing time.

5.0 out of 5 stars What to do with your Ice Pop Maker besides Freeze pops, July 5, 2013
One thing I like about these popsicle molds is that they are versatile.

What my kids DON'T LIKE is that they don't come in neon colors?

I was actually able to find them in funky colors on Amazon Here: GRAZIA® - Set of 4 Premium Silicone Popsicle Molds, NEW Vibrant 2013 Colors, Popsicle Mold, Norpro, FDA Approved & BPA Free, Make Healthy Popsicles and Smoothie Pops, Use your Imagination as to what you can Create with the Whole Family, NON STICK & Flex...

I have found that people have many uses included:

Freezing and Storing Homemade Baby Food
Freezing a bit of wine that you have left in the bottle for a future food recipe
Homemade Soaps and even Homemade Candles
JELLO SHOTS (with happy water in them...hehe)
Freezing Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows on top of them

Also, something I would have never thought of is to Freeze Water with some lavender or other essential oils. Then you put a cube of this water and oil in your shower and you have a Soothing Hot Shower.

All in all, 5 Star Product, but I had to go with different colors to make my kids happy......what can I say...

1.0 out of 5 stars funky smell to them that wouldnt wash out., July 9, 2013
they had a chemical smell to them that no matter how many times i washed them out, it still lingered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reusable product!, May 29, 2012
I bought one set and wish I bought more! I've been filling them with leftover smoothies...they only hold about 1/2 cup but the frozen smoothies are refreshing! I use a bottle brush to clean them and stick the lids into the molds so they stand up to dry. To freeze, I stick them in the wire rack shelf in my freezer and haven't had any spills. I'm excited to try filling them with applesauce for another summer treat option! Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super product for health and saving money!, October 12, 2011
My three kids were eating WAY too much tube yogurt. It is not only horribly expensive, but it is full of chemicals, dyes, etc. I learned to make my own additive-free yogurt and wanted my kids to eat it. They did eat it but still begged for the tube yogurt. I saw these molds and ordered them. At night I let the kids mix their own yogurt using fresh fruit, my homemade yogurt, and small amounts of chocolate chips or maple syrup. They LOVE making their own yogurt! They can freeze the yogurt and take it for lunch or just take the tube without freezing it since the tubes have little lids. Since the tubes are small the amount of chocolate chips, for instance, is naturally limited. I can make a quart of organic yogurt for $2, and we get tons of tubes from it. Our favorite recipes are bananas, peanut butter, chocolate chip yogurt; strawberry chocolate chip; maple nut using maple syrup, nuts, and yogurt; and cherry, almond, chocolate yogurt. Doesn't that sound delicious? I feel so much better about my childrens' nutrition and we are saving money too!

Rate and Discover Movies