4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for home kitchen

Published on January 27, 2011 by JS0513

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for home kitchen, July 18, 2001
"cong_nguyen_2000" (Santa Clara, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
This is a great pitter for your home kitchen. It works 90% of the time for me. The other 10% of time I have the pit remains within the cherry as it fails to get punched out. I still give it a high rating since this is a mechanical solution which depends on several factors such as: the size of the cherry (medium size works best), the speed and amount of pressure you punch the pit (operator skill can improve the success rate). The one negative comment I have is that the pitter get rust very easily, and it comes without instruction on how to clean it. I found out that if you let it sit for drying after a handwash, it will get rust. What you want to do is to take the pitter apart, wash and dry them with a towel immediately after use. You can take the assembly apart by simply uncrew the black pitter handle. The spring and the metal rod can now be pulled out for cleaning. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyous pittable praise, August 3, 2003
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
After pitting over 100 pounds of cherries in one day, I can say that the Norpro Deluxe cherry pitter met all of my expectations. I do have some suggestions: The pitter works best if the cherries are hand fed from the feeder. Be sure to depress the plunger ALL OF THE WAY to extract the pit. After 100 pounds, the small rubber diaphragm will probably need to be replaced. Two diaphragms are provided by the company.
P.S. Be sure to chill cherries first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Norpro Deluxe Cherry Stoner /Pitter, July 12, 2005
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
I was inpressed.Stoner worked well on all size cherries,got all stones as long as you did not fill hopper all the way.I put 20 to 25 cherries in hoppper at a time and help direct them to plunger.You can do a gallon of cherries in about 20 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pitted against the cherries, August 10, 2005
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
Rapid, efficient,sturdy and easy to clean. Must to attached to the edge of a counter and the right edge was hard to find. I hand pitted cherries for 90 minutes and completed the same number in 15 minutes with the cherry pitter.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but could be improved, January 27, 2011
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
This is a real improvement over my previous method for pitting cherries -- a hand-held tool where you placed 1 cherry in the seat and squeezed. Pretty much everything in the vicinity (including me) ended up with specks of cherry juice. The Norpro lets you pit a lot more cherries with much less mess. The price is pretty reasonable (I thought). Its mostly plastic, so its not likely to become a family heirloom, but it works as advertised. So why the '3' rating? 1.) It anchors to a counter via a clamp assembly with a screw you have to turn. That means it has to sit at the edge of a counter, not in the middle, and the clamp has an agravating tendency to loosen during the operation. Some similar devices have a suction base that you can attach to any smooth countertop, which means you can comfortably position them in the middle of the counter where things are less likely to take a swandive to the floor. 2.) The 'chute' from which the pitted cherries emerge is a couple inches above the countertop. So if you wanted to put a large mixing bowl under it -- like if you're doing a LOT of cherries -- you're out of luck. I had to use a low-profile soupbowl to collect the cherries. 3.) there is a plastic collector for the cherry pits, that slides underneath the piston assembly. Its not hard to get into place, but because the entire apparatus sits low on the counter, it isn't very deep and therefore has to be emptied frequently, which means un-clamping the whole device to slide it out. I guess if I was more ambitious, I could go out to my shop and build some sort of frame to hold this so it could sit higher off the counter and away from the edge, but then that would be , basically, a different tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars WE LOVE IT!!, June 28, 2007
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
Our new house has an existing pie cherry tree and I suddenly found myself with a couple of bowls full of pie cherries and no way to prep them for a pie. I read many reviews of different pitters and decided on this one. It reminded me of the pitter my mother had when I was little. I can't believe how quickly the product arrived and ready to use! As soon as I attached it to the counter, I knew I would be pleased with it. We pitted the cherries in about 15 minutes (the kids had to take a turn). I am definately going to recommend this pitter to everyone with cherries! I rated it a 4 because it takes a little more work to clean it than I would like and after only 2 uses, I have noticed some rust on the turn screw that holds it to the counter. I think I am going to have to towel dry every inch of the machine instead of letting it air dry. But really, this is not that big of a deal for me. I also noticed, if the plunger is not fully depressed, the pit sort of hangs on to the cherry and follows it into the bowl. Overall, I think this cherry pitter is fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for smaller cherries, January 18, 2007
Jen S. (Brooklyn Park, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
I bought this cherry pitter as a Christmas gift for my parents who have several cherry trees on their property. Given that it was December in MN, we tried the pitter with cherries we bought at the market and found that many of them (and their pits) were slightly too big to fit through the hopper easily. I have used this model in the past with home-grown cherries, which are smaller, and it worked great. This is a pretty cheap kitchen tool, so even if all of the cherries don't work, it's still worth it...as anyone who has pitted cherries by hand would agree!

5.0 out of 5 stars NORPRO DELUXE CHERRY PITTER, September 1, 2008
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
FOR YEARS I HAVE BEEN PITTING CHERRIES BY HAND. ONE AT A TIME WITH A HAIR PIN, JUST LIKE MOM TAUGHT ME. I MENTIONED TO MY CO-WORKERS WIFE THAT I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO START PITTING CHERRIES FOR PIES AND I HAD A LIMIT OF ONLY PITTING ENOUGHT FOR TWO PIES BECAUSE IT WAS SUCH A TIME CONSUMING TASK. SHE TOLD ME SHE OWNED A GREAT CHERRY PITTING MACHINE AND WANTED TO LOAN IT TO ME. AT FIRST I REFUSED AND SHE INSISTED SAYING ONCE I TRIED IT I WOULD LOVE IT. BOY WAS SHE RIGHT. INSTEAD OF PITTING CHERRIES FOR MY TWO PIES MY HUSBAND AND I PITTIED ENOUGH CHERRIES FOR EIGHT PIES. I GAVE MY FRIEND AND HIS WIFE PITTED CHERRIES FOR A PIE WHEN I RETURNED THE CHERRY PITTER AND I SAID I LOVED THE PITTER SO MUCH THAT I ORDERED ONE FOR MYSELF. ARN'T FRIENDS GREAT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, July 12, 2008
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
This season brought some of the sweetest cherries ever and, for that reason, I rushed to make all the jams, preserves and sundries I could before winter.

The Norpro Deluxe Cherry Stoner/Pitter is reasonably priced, easy to clean and does its job. I've used this on both Bing and Rainier cherries--pitted perfectly with minimal loss of juice. My only complaint is that larger pieces do need to be pulled out individually (after pitting)--this is not a big deal to me, but may pose a problem for the serious baker and/or jammer. Also, the plastic construction is a bit cheap, but keep in mind this is one of the lower priced models out there.

Overall a wonderful and extremely useful summer kitchen gadget for the cherry lover at heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases I've ever made., June 27, 2007
This review is from: Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp (Kitchen)
I had 25 lbs of bing cherries to deal with this May and the Norpro Deluxe Cherry Stoner/Pitter made the "job" of pitting the cherries very easy. The key was getting it set up for production. I clamped the Norpro Deluxe Cherry Stoner/Pitter to a cutting board which I placed in the utility sink in our garage. Keep in mind that pitting cherries will produce cherry juice that can be quite messy. The Norpro Deluxe Cherry Stoner/Pitter quickly pitted the cherries and we have enjoyed cherry pies and frozen the rest for future pies. If you have cherries then the Norpro Deluxe Cherry Stoner/Pitter is what you need!!

Norpro 5120 Deluxe Cherry Pitter with Clamp