Norpro Coffee Grinder
Price:$14.14 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 29, 2009
Summary: A good low-end manual coffee grinder

Update December 2009: After use multiple times per day this grinder is still working as well as the day it was new. The only work I have done on it was to add a nylon washer at the base of the adjustment mechanism to stop the noise of metal on metal sliding contact which developed after a couple of months.

Assembly: The grinder came in a nearly assembled state; assembly consisted of removing the top thumbscrew, placing the handle on the grinder shaft, and replacing the top thumbscrew. Total time: about 10 seconds

Construction: The actual grinder assembly appears to be of cast iron with a tapered burr rotating inside a stationary sleeve. The handle, bowl, and support / adjustment mechanism are of stamped steel. The burr and handle are connected by a steel shaft. The housing is made of painted hardboard. The drawer is made of unpainted hardboard.

Grind Adjustment: The coarse to fine adjustment of the grind is accomplished by loosening the handle, then holding the shaft while turning an adjustment washer. This moves the burr up or down within the sleeve and closes or opens the passage area (a larger passage = coarser grind).

Initial setup: Add some coffee beans to the bowl and turn the handle 10 - 20 revolutions. Remove the drawer and assess the grind characteristics. If it is too fine or too coarse for your purpose, adjust as required and repeat until it is as desired. The grinder is now ready to use.

Normal usage: Add coffee beans to the bowl and turn the handle to grind, then remove the drawer and remove the ground coffee. At the fairly fine setting I prefer, it takes around 40 turns of the handle to grind enough coffee beans for a strong cup.

Conclusion: Make no mistake - this is close to the bottom end of the manual coffee grinder scale and certainly won't win you any bonus points with those who want a coffee grinder as a status symbol. The drawer is a bit disappointing in terms of it's size (small) and material(bare hardboard) but for one or two cups worth of grounds it is sufficent, and I would not want to use this for grinding coffee for more than one or two cups at a time. On the other hand, you put coffee beans in, turn the crank, and they come out ground the way you want them. At it's price it does what I ask of it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2011
I think some reviews of this little grinder may have been a bit harsh when you consider the low price, now under 15.00. True, it isn't high craftsmanship in either woodwork or mechanism, but why would you expect that for this price? Mine really works quite well, as least for the course grind I need for my French press, delivering an even, consistent grind, and it looks pretty decent on my counter top as well. I have no need for a fine grind, so I haven't tried it for that, but it's plenty easy to adjust the mechanism.

It isn't without flaws by any means, including the fact that beans sometimes get caught between the hopper and wood frame, as another reviewer noted. It's easy enough to just shake the grinder a couple of times to loosen them, though, so that's not a big concern to me. Though the picture makes it look black, the one I got is actually a dark red wood with a copper (or copper colored) hopper and metalwork. The wood finish is a bit sloppy, but so what? It is what it is.

If you don't expect perfection and want a functional grinder at a very low cost, I recommend it. I am very pleased, though having it only two days, I can't speak to it's long term endurance. But for 15.00, it seems to me a real bargain. If it cost 40 dollars I'd probably rate it 3 stars or less, but for what it is, I give it 4 stars, easily. It works, it looks pretty good, it's easy to operate and does a good job. What more could you ask?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2012
I read several reviews about this product, and compared it to others available through Amazon. I decided that this had the best reviews and sounded like a reasonable purchase for the price of $13.98, especially with the free shipping, as I added it to two other items.

I just received it, two days after placing my order.

This is absolutely darling. It is a bit smaller than I expected, but for me that actually makes it better. I don't have a lot of counter space.

The base was attached slightly off center, and that just adds to its charm. The color is rich, and the metal bowl is smooth and glossy inside and out. I hadn't been able to read the little metal tag when I saw it online, but was tickled to see that it says "CAFE".

I ran some coffee beans through it to check it out. I have to say that I do not understand at all the reviews that say the grounds aren't fine enough. This was grinding the beans into a powder! The adjustment to coarser ground is very simple. Just unscrew the nut holding the handle in place, lift off the handle and lift up the gear lock. I twisted the gear several times to make it quite loose, put it back together, and ground absolutely perfect coffee for my french press.

The looser the gear, the coarser the grind, and therefore the faster the process. I filled the little drawer in seconds.

Maybe I was lucky and received one of the good ones. Either way, I would be happy to purchase this product at twice the price. I will amend this post should the Norpro Coffee Grinder break or fail to function. For now, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
on September 14, 2008
I used this for less than a month when it broke. Even when it did work, it ground my beans so slowly I was thinking about returning it anyway. When the grinding burr fell off the shaft (stripped threads), that sealed its fate. Do not waste your time and effort with this headache! Zero stars, if possible!
on December 10, 2009
I'd used the antique ones, seen them in antique stores, they work well but cost two to three times what the Norpro does. Well, there's a reason: the Norpro is a rickety thing made of pressed sheet metal and while it does the job reasonably well it's not nearly as consistent as the old ones, and while it hasn't broken yet the mechanism is wobbly, of thin metal and just feels like it's made with breakage in the plan.
on June 7, 2010
The Norpro Coffee Grinder I purchased was returned because I did not feel the woodcraft was up to standard. The joints were either glued or stapled instead of jointed correctly, and the front of the drawer was completely detached when I removed my purchase from the package. I found the grind was not fine enough for use in my 'drip coffee' maker. I would not recommend this grinder.
on May 17, 2010
UPDATE: I reduced to 1-star because it quit grinding in a couple months no matter how "fine" I set it. Apparently the teeth wore down.
*******************************************************************************************
Grinder came ready to use; except for attaching handle. It grinds consistently & easily. I have carpal tunnel & arthritis; yet, I can grind beans for my two cups of coffee without discomfort. I grind between fine & course for my manual pour-over brewer. The drawer is tiny. I only grind 4 scoops (7g) of whole beans, and the drawer overflows a bit.

The handle/grind apparatus does seem to be a bit flimsy. But, this is my first manual coffee grinder. So, I have nothing with which to compare the quality. I am very pleased with the price. I didn't want to spend $50+ for my 1st manual grinder. However, it does have an irritating design flaw. Between the feed hopper and box top is a gap, into which quite a few beans go while grinding. I have to wiggle the whole box to get them out of the gap down into the grinding burrs.

Before this, I used the common blade grinder to butcher "chop" my fresh roasted beans. Then, after reading about compact travel manual burr grinders, I experimented with my steel pepper mill & ceramic sea salt grinder - what a difference in the coffee taste! The steel pepper mill ground more consistently & easily. So, I decided I wanted steel burrs. Still, because neither had a handle, both took an hour to grind. But, I was sold on the taste difference. So, I decided to buy this economic grinder. I now grind 4 mins while waiting for the water to boil.

I will update the durability of the grinder in 6 mos - or sooner if it wears out before then. For now, I am pleased.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2014
So here's the deal. I bought this grinder because I'm poor and needed something cheap. I also thought that grinding my coffee by hand would make me feel more manly inside. It did. For about 30 seconds. Then my arm got tired. And you have to hold the grinder down with your other hand, and it has to be on a surface thats at a good height otherwise you aren't gonna be grinding anything.

So after I finally finished, my grinds were really big. No problem, just adjust the bolt so that it grinds finer. However, this makes grinding hard. Plus, the bolt gets loose a lot and to properly tighten it you have to take it apart (not a lot of work but still).

But here's the kicker. Today I took the grinder apart to see if I could fix the bolt that comes loose and do you know what I found? The bolt had a deep grove rubbed out by the mechanisms and was grinding METAL SHAVINGS into my coffee? Terrible! Spend $5 extra and get yourself an electric grinder and get it done in 5 seconds without metal shavings in your intestines.
on February 23, 2012
I purchased this coffee grinder as a gift for somebody. They tried to use it a few times, but the coffee beans do not grind well, some come out whole. I purchased a new and different manufacturer's brand, exchanged the gift with the new grinder and the current one works fine. I would not purchase the Norpro again, unless they can figure out why it will not screw down far enough to actually grind the beans. I don't know what to do with the Norpro except throw it away, it doesn't work.
on September 29, 2012
I've had this product for a year, use it everyday. It's not a lot of work, I don't understand why people complain about how long it takes or how small the hopper is. If you're making a gallon of coffee everyday this would be a pain...but I don't. I have a 2c french press and this is perfect for it. I grind 3 tbsp of beans which fills the drawer to the top (so if grinding more I'd need to stop and empty the drawer quick, a 10 second inconvenience). It takes me 30 seconds to grind, it's easy adjusting the grind, and there's practically nothing to go wrong. There's no electricity, no motor, requires no outlet, doesn't overheat, it's quieter than electric models. My only gripe is ground size isn't terribly consistent, but it's not a big deal to me.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...