Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Package Quantity: 1|Size: 8.75in/22cm|Change

VINE VOICEon June 29, 2010
Even more than my new canner, I love this jar lifter! No more tongs and potential slippage and broken jars and hot liquid on my legs (never happened!) because this jar lifter is fool proof, accident proof. Just dip down into the boiling hot water with this gripper and grab a jar, take it to its settling place, then get the next jar. What more is there to say? Oh yes, I love my jar lifter!
1616 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2012
I have recently purchased 2 of these. One by itself, and another came with a combo canning pack that included wand and spatula. Anyway, today was the first use. I was canning pickles and both of them broke. The black pieces on the bottom that actually come in contact with the jars to lift them just fell off into pieces. You can't put them back together! so now they are essentially trash. This is so frustrating. One of them broke while I was moving a jar of pickles out of the boiling water bath. Pickles, dill and BOILING WATER went everywhere. Luckily it missed me or it would have been painful. DO NOT BUY THIS
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2012
I really liked this lifter the first time I used it and was happy with my purchase. But after my second use, I found it was too short and the rubber that grips the jars melted away in the boiling water.

I like to use both small and large jars at the same time. So that means I have to fill my pot with a lot of water to cover the top of the jars. Unfortunately, this lifter isn't very long so when trying to retrieve my small jars this wasn't long enough to keep my hand out of the water. This wouldn't be an issue if you were using all the same size jars.

But worse yet, the rubber at the grabbing end of the lifter broke apart on my second use leaving bits of it in the water. The rubber isn't enough to stand up to the boiling water and hot jars. Now I have exposed metal at the grabber end which makes this pretty useless. I don't know why they would make with with rubber and not high temperature resistant silicone.
on January 1, 2011
I was fueled by anger and blinded by rage when my Ball jar lifter's handles just fell off before I even had a chance to use them. There I stood, trying to break the failed device when it occurred to me, buy the Norpro jar lifter because they make quality canning tools. I think these are the bee's knees. You should buy them instead of burning your hands.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
For those who can as an occasional hobby these will be perfect. However for a serious canning enthusiast something more sturdy would be in order.

PERFORMANCE NOTE:

I did find that the 1 qt. jars required some concentration to transfer out of the cooker. If the jar is not held perfectly up and down with moderate pressure in the jaws it will begin to slip.
on October 28, 2011
A jar lifter is a must for anyone that does a decent amount of canning. However, the Norpro and lots of other models seem a little short for the task. If you're canning a small batch of half pint jars in a large stockpot (like 20 quarts), you are almost guaranteed to get burned by the steam while trying to remove the sterile jars from the pot. This does grip the jars securely. The plastic handles are pretty cheesy though. I'd love to see a new model that's longer and which uses silicone for the grips and handles so that the product can be run through the dishwasher safely (silicone if often heat resistant up to 600 degrees, which is a good idea since dishwashers often get hotter than your oven).

Bottom line: this is an adequate jar lifter that is almost identical to every other jar lifter I've seen.
on July 13, 2014
Has lifted my jar by just under an inch with about 4 months of Jelqing. This certainly works. I like the fact that I can keep the pressure even as I stroke and it's way less work for my hands. I even used a file to thin out the center just a tad, so this gets more of a total wrap around the jar. Jelqing in itself isn't hard on my hands, but I work with my hands. Often they were too sore or tired for the Jelq. Not any more! This simple, inexpensive tool made my workout MORE routine. The routine led to the growth, so the tool was DEFINITELY worth the money. The jar has also gained some thickness but I never measured "before" so I can't attest to the amount of size increase. All I can say is it's visibly noticeable and also can be felt by others. Why pay ten times the price for a jelq fancy contraption? This works GREAT. Also useful if you do any canning from what other reviews mention.
on July 31, 2010
I used just regular ol' tongs the first few times I canned marmalades and jams, and it was always torturous dealing with the boiling water and hot jars. Finally I splurged and bought this jar lifter. It has removed so much tension from the process of canning for me. Definitely a must have. Fits most jar sizes easily and effectively.
on September 8, 2015
I bought this last summer when I started to do some canning and I've used it a lot. I like it a lot. It makes it so much easier to get jars in and out of boiling water without burning myself. It is pretty non-slip but not as perfect as I'd like. I'm not sure how to describe it and I'm not sure how it might be made better. Sometimes I find it a bit challenging to get a really good grip on a jar. But it sure beats trying to do the job without this tool!
on May 19, 2013
I ordered this new jar lifter, and was going to give my daughter my old one. When I received the Norpro, and compared, I decided to keep my old one, and give her my new one; my old one is much sturdier, larger. It will do, but I do a lot more canning than my daughter, so I opt for the sturdier one, which is not the Norpro.