5.0 out of 5 stars Great for scooping out cupcake batter
I find the 2 ounce size ice cream scoop to be perfect for scooping out cupcake batter for regular sized cupcakes. It definitely helps me stay uniform and is far less messy compare to other methods I have tried. I have this model and it has stood up well over 100's of cupcakes.
Published on January 7, 2010 by Cheryl M. Porro

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I would have liked to give this product more stars but it has already began rusting. I wash it by hand and dry it immediately and still it rusts. Otherwise it works well for cupcakes, just the right amount of batter.
Published on October 18, 2010 by D. Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for scooping out cupcake batter, January 7, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Endless Uses - Kitchen Essential, October 25, 2010
This one and a half teaspoon stainless steel scoop has endless uses. After it arrived, I gave the scoop a test run by preparing little flavored butter balls from softened butter and herbs. Once formed and slightly chilled I piled them on a small serving dish. The butter balls added a special touch to the dinner table. I ordered the scoop because I plan to make large ravioli for the holidays and it is the perfect size for the filling.

Since ordering it I've also made truffles, something far easier accomplished using this implement than my previous tool -- a melon baller. That utensil produced ganache balls of different sizes, some smaller, some bigger and required more hand rolling to get a genuine ball shape. Anyone who has hand rolled ganache, knows this is a messy proposition.

This scoop is solid and the balls, whether cookie batter, ganache, butter, or homemade tiny cheese balls are all consistently sized without manipulation. Relatively solid items, like ice cream, butter or ganache are rolled within the scoop to form a ball. With batter, the scoop is dipped in and scraped against the bowl to form a consistent portion to drop on a cookie sheet, in a muffin tin, etc.

The handle is comfortable in the hand and the quality of the material is evident. Because the scoop is constructed of stainless steel, it can be dipped in warm or cold water or gently chilled or heated (depending upon what is being created)to control temperature and ensure easy release.

I own four larger sized scoops and they all have their special jobs but I keep reaching for this small one -- and ideas for new uses keep flowing. A small scoop may not be the first kitchen utensil that comes to mind when thinking of basic tools, but it has quickly become much used in my kitchen and reinvigorated my love of cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed all the small scoops..., December 9, 2010
So I ordered all the small dishers available on Amazon. Sure, I'm nuts, but I have Amazon Prime, so the shipping was free. Anyway, I thought you all might like to see my analysis of them.

I added a picture of the scoops and the balls they created to the item, see the alternate picture. The balls are made out of quite firm, straight from the refrigerator whipped white chocolate ganache. There are two scoops shown for each disher. On the left is a scoop leveled off with a knife, to the right is a slightly rounded "natural" scoop.

(from left to right, see picture) I bought the Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 25MM (1.5 Teaspoon) and am keeping that, as I really wanted a very small scoop (produced balls of 6-8 grams). The next smallest is also the most expensive, the smaller of the two Zeroll Universal Small EZ Disher Food/Ice Cream Scoop, Orange, followed by the Zeroll Universal Small EZ Disher Food/Ice Cream Scoop, Burgundy. They made nice scoops, but I returned the Zerolls as I found the plastic handles rather awkward to use with very stiff batter. These are followed by the Oxo Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop and the Adcraft (purchased at a local restaurant supply store), which I felt would be best for cookies or small meatballs, but if you like a larger truffle, they could be used for that too. The Oxo Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop has the most comfortable handle to use of all of them. It produced ganache balls of 14-19 grams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely in my "Top Ten List" of Inspired Kitchen Gadgets!, November 14, 2002
Finally, an ice cream scoop that gets the ice cream out of its container AND then out of the scoop into the dish. Sounds like a no-brainer, right? Should be -- but this is the first scoop design I've ever used that managed both with equal ease. Most of the old-fashioned ones had a release mechanism that got the ice cream into the dish pretty well, but needed tons of hot water and the strength of 10 men and a boy to get the goodie out of its native container. More recent versions have made the container-to-scoop process less of a herculean task, but need the assistance of finger or other appendage to make it the rest of the way to the bowl.
This delightful object has solved both problems. In addition, it's a God-send for baking cookies. I operate a virtual cookie factory every Christmas and have tried many techniques to speed the dough-to-baking pan transfer. Last year, I saw this scoop and its smaller (2 teaspoon) sibling at a kitchen supply place and purchased both. I was able to bang through all my drop cookies in record time -- hurrah!
Whether ice cream or cookie baking is your passion, I can't think of a better way to spend 10 bucks!
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for Truffles, April 17, 2009
Jennie H. (Arlington, MA) - See all my reviews
I bought this scoop to use for making truffles -- it's perfect! It speeds up the process of shaping the candies, and the resultant 1 tsp scoops are exactly the right size for truffles. Using the scoop also helps cut down the mess that's inherent when working with chocolate; there's less contact between the chocolate and the user's fingers, so there's less melting of the chocolate due to body heat.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful gadget in my kitchen, November 24, 2001
Dori Daus (Highland Park, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I use this scoop for making everything from meatballs, matzah balls, and perfectly regular drop cookies. The scoop allows every meatball or cookie to be the same size, so they all cook at the same speed. If you like to bake cookies as gifts, using this scoop makes the cookies look like they were bought in a store. It also makes it easier to make items that have a center, like cherry in the middle cookies. This is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Scoop, April 26, 2010
T. Lindsay Foster (Charlotte, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a larger scoop that would effectively scoop and release cookie dough onto a cookie sheet so that my cookies would be larger and more perfectly formed. I also wanted a scoop that was built well and that would last for many years. The 56MM (4 Tablespoon) Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop has met all of my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, it IS 3 tablespoons, October 10, 2009
ETA: Regarding the review above claiming a "horribly" "flawed design": There is no design flaw, only an unrealistic expectation. No one should ever use any sweeper scoop to dish HARD ice cream, They're not engineered for that. If I need to dish HARD ice cream (I make my own and it rarely freezes to HARD), I use a Zeroll Original 3-Ounce Aluminum Ice Cream Scoop and would heartily recommend it.

==========================================================================

I came to these Norpo scoops (I have three: a Norpro 35 mm Stainless Steel Scoop [one tablespoon], this one [three tablespoons] and a Norpro 56mm Stainless Steel Scoop [four tablespoons]) recently, in September, 2009, after a bad experience with the Oxo Good Grips Trigger Ice Cream Scoop. I really like them. Very well made. Coming from the OXO it's sort of like the difference in closing a door on a Benz and a Ugo.

However, now I need to look for a TWO tablespoon scoop because this really (with all due deference to D. Evans) does hold three, and it's immaterial whether it's water or grains of salt, 2009 or any other year.

ETA: In looking for a real 2 tablespoon model online today, I came across a vendor who claims to have one that "holds PRECISELY 2 tablespoons of your favorite ice cream, cookie dough, melons, chicken or potato salad..." (Emphasis added.) Unfortunately, it's the same model as this one, a Norpro #678. So much for precision. I'm not having much luck finding what I need so, a shout-out to Norpro: Label this one correctly as a three tablespoon and make a real two tablespoon model.

ETA: I ordered the Norpro 39mm Stainless Steel Scoop and I'm making a guess it will hold two
tablespoons.

ETA: It doesn't. It holds almost, but not quite, two tablespoons.

ETA: I see Norpro took my suggestion (and the suggestion of others) and labeled this correctly now as three tablespoons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for truffles too, September 20, 2007
Sunny in the Northwest (Bellingham, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I used this teaspoon scoop to shape balls of ganache for truffles. It was much easier than using a spoon, and makes small, bite-sized truffles. It was easy to clean- I didn't find that the chocolate got stuck in the moving parts as I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy the set!, February 24, 2011
GeeC (Puget Sound, WA) - See all my reviews
Lusted after these (watching too much Alton Brown) but too cheap to spring for them. Finally gave in and bought a set, only question is why did I wait to long? Great for cookies, of course, but also meatballs. My husband even helped me make a huge batch for a potluck, so that has to count as a plus! Very well made, mechanism doesn't get too gunked up to function, clean easily. Took me 50 years of cookie baking to realize how much easier it could be. Recommended.

Norpro 677 Stainless Steel Scoop