4.0 out of 5 stars No Bio-degradable but sturdy!
I found out after a month or so that these bags were not really "degrading" in my compost, hence stopped using them there. I just use them now to line the bin. They are sturdy enough for carrying the vegies etc to the compost pile, and then they go in the garbage! Since I got 50 of them, i'll use them but will look for real BIO-degradable ones. Don't know if its a good...
Published on January 4, 2012 by Ankur Gupta

1.0 out of 5 stars Degradable is not the same as biodegradable
Published on January 23, 2011 by splendidbooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Degradable is not the same as biodegradable, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
This is not a plant-based product, and does not belong in your compost. I looked up degradable versus biodegradable. Degradable plastics are still made from ordinary petroleum-based granules, called nurdles. These raw plastic pellets that are commonly found in our oceans do not contain any additives which helps break down the plastic. While they do break down into smaller particles, chemical residues eventually show up in the food chain and our bodies. The bottom line is that any plastic that is petroleum-based will contribute to the pollution of our environment and has a harmful effect on human and animal health. (via greenflavour dot blogspot dot com)

This product is legal but inappropriate. Do you want to go green? Get rid of plastics. (If you don't want to stop using the bags you have left, at least recycle them, don't put them in your compost.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not BUY!! could contaminate your own food..., July 12, 2011
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
This is a Degradable bag, not a BIO-degradable bag. That means that it breaks down into tiny chemical residue that you can not see but are still there. Similar products (Lawn bags from the 90's) were found to poison fish and wild life, the chemicals were also found to work there way up the food chain. If you are like many people and use your compost dirt to grow fruit and vegetables that you later feed you family, you will almost certainly be getting some of that residue into your body and that of your family, the long term effects of which are not know.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
Some of the more recent reviews clarify the problems I've been having with these bags. I had assumed that they would degrade in my compost. But not so! That's a real shame, because a compost-able bag would be much more practical. I guess I'll be fishing some un-degraded bags out of my compost shortly.

The up side to these bags is that they are sturdy and that they are a perfect fit for the counter-top compost pail. The down side is that I guess they're intended to be thrown in the trash.

1.0 out of 5 stars MISLEADING! DON'T BUY!, October 25, 2011
cunada23 (Check the Facts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
I very very very rarely use all caps, but this product is presented in a way that is seriously misleading for the average, well-meaning consumer.
I'm plenty educated and absolutely well-meaning, and nearly bought these before noticing the use of "degradable" instead of "bio-degradable," which is what I was looking for.

Degradable IS NOT bio-degradable and should NOT be used for actual compost!

Don't put these in your yard waste or compost bins, whether your own in your yard or for pickup by your waste management service folks (I confirmed this with our waste management company).

1.0 out of 5 stars No better than a grocery bag!, November 15, 2011
Amazon Customer "marksfam" (Cartersville, ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
These bags DO NOT biodegrade! I've fished them out of my year-old hot compost pile intact. They are the perfect size, and don't tear or leak, but they do not break down in the compost pile.

1.0 out of 5 stars "degradable" DOES NOT qualify as BIODEGRADABLE!, December 27, 2011
Anonymous (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
Just learned the unpleasant way that these Norpro bags are not accepted by the Portland Composts! Program.
All of our holiday composting was left for us on the curb by our recyclers/waste folks.
Solution = to empty the contents into REAL biodegradable bags and carry on.

1.0 out of 5 stars These bags are NOT biodegradable, December 11, 2011
Book Lady (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
I'm a careful consumer, but this "degradable" vs. "biodegradable" difference slipped past me. This is totally deceptive advertising, and Norpor should be ashamed of themselves. By the way, these bags do NOT easily fit the rectangular plastic 'mesh' kitchen counter compost pails - they are too small. I feel like I was rooked - if I had bought from a physical store, I would return these and get my money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
These bags are not biodegradable. They are made from polyethylene, just like other plastic garbage bags. They are 'degradable' because they have trace amounts of metals embedded in the plastic, and over a period of time, the bags fall apart into small pieces. These small plastic pieces will persist in the soil for decades to centuries, as they are no longer degradable once the metal ions are washed away. So beware of what you are buying - small, expensive little bags that will contaminate your compost with small pieces of plastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy!!!, March 25, 2012
Dorothy Evans-Weis (Salem, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
DO NOT BUY this item. I did and the bags are not bio-degradable. I don't know what "degradable" means; I thought it meant I could use them to put my compost scraps in the compost bin, but they do not break down in our compost bin. It was like using plastic shopping bags. What we ended up with was dozens of these little bags each with a smelly, rotting mess in them. My husband had to physically empty each bag and dispose of the bag in the garbage as it was obvious they were not breaking down in the compost bin in any way. I just bought bio-degradable bags from Amazon which I'm hopeful will work as they should in a compost bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGER! Misleading! This product will CONTAMINATE COMPOST & RECYCLING STREAMS, January 23, 2012
amanda (oakland, ca, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs (Kitchen)
I accidentally bought this product because I wasn't paying close attention. Degradable is BAD. Contains plastics full of heavy metals that will degrade but not safely.[...]

Norpro 85 Recyclable Bags, 50 pcs