5.0 out of 5 stars This product works!
Published on November 11, 2008 by D.K.

1.0 out of 5 stars piece of junk, worked for 2 months
Published on May 15, 2007 by NM boardie006

5.0 out of 5 stars This product works!, November 11, 2008
D.K. "D.K.S." (Morris, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
This product works! I use it to mix up protein shakes. It is small and easy to clean. It essentially is a piece of molded plastic with a motor that holds two AA batteries. The on/off switch is plastic that depresses a metal contact. Put together it feels solid. With fresh batteries it really can whip up a drink. The only think I don't like about it is, its does not have any speed variance. It's either full on or full off. So to prevent splashing an on/off pulse method is used. Amazingly enough the little device still has plenty of power using half exhausted batteries. I used the NIMH batteries that my digital cameras says are dead; they work great in this mixer. If you have a tall glass the attachments might not reach the bottom before the plastic housing touches your liquid. This sometimes results in unmixed powder and/or liquid/goo in the housing. This is a minor problem and is easily avoided with some finesse from the user. All things considered this little device is certainly worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars great but need this usage tip, June 18, 2006
Randall D. Dunning "RD" (Garland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
This works wonderfully as long as you slightly move your hand in the opposite direction of the blades rotation. This keeps it from splattering, which is a huge problem if you don't know about this little usage tip.

I have amazed so many friends with frothy coffees while camping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job, May 14, 2012
EVALUATION
Does the job, but there are virtually no instructions on its use. Most of the complaints about lack of power are probably from folks who installed the batteries wrong.

COMPARISON
I love my big powerful hand blender Hamilton Beach 59770 Turbo-Twister 2-Speed Hand Blender but sometimes, it is just too much, and I don't want to go to the hassle of cleaning it. For simply mixing a package of powdered chocolate mix into a cup of milk for hot chocolate, etc. the Norpro is perfect, and cleanup is just a few seconds. I use it mostly to make home-made gelatin deserts Knox Original Gelatin (32-Count Envelopes), Unflavored, 8-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 2). For example grape "Jello" made with real grape juice.

INSTALLING BATTERIES
> The gray switch "panel" is the door to the battery compartment. With the pointy end to the left, slide the grey panel to the right. Install the first (bottom) battery with the positive end (nipple end) to the right. Install the second (top) battery with the positive end to the left. Slide the panel back in place.
> The batteries are hard to install and harder to remove. This can be remedied by applying silicon grease to the contacts Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-up Grease - 3 oz.. The silicon grease also protects the contacts and improves the electrical connection.***
> Alternative, it is easy to make a "battery extractor": Cut a ca 1/2" x 4" strip of paper (or thin ribbon); roll the end around a battery, fold up to make a tab, and glue the tab back on the paper strip or ribbon (in effect make a "doggie collar and leash" for a battery); slip the bottom battery in place, then the top battery, if you have more than 1/2" left at the top, trim it off. To extract the bottom battery (after extracting the top battery, just pull up on the leash.

INTALLING MIXING TOOLS
Notice that the lower portion of the stems of the mixing tools is hollow. This hole fits over the solid metal rod in the power unit. You just push the tool in, and when you are done, pull it out. Sometimes the fit is pretty tight, and you have to push hard to install, or pull hard to take the tool out. Be sure to push it ALL THE WAY on, as far as it will go. If the fit is too tight, a little silicon grease (apply with a toothpick) fixes the problem.**

USE
> Lower the tool into the liquid to be mixed and press the grey lever. Immerse only the lower half of the tool in the solution. Do not immerse as far as the pointy end of the power unit, or you may suck up water (etc) into the motor.
> The mixer is one-speed. You can adjust the "violence" of mixing by choosing the tools. Obviously the stick-like tool is the gentlest mixer. The plastic Y is the second gentlest. The wire whisk is the second most intense mixer, and the "frother" is the most intense mixer. Use the frother only in a water glass or other tall, narrow, container.

Although the whisk is intense, it also slows to pretty slow if immersed to most of it's length. I find the plastic Y to be the ideal mixer for mixing gelatin into 3-4 cups of water, without making froth.

WASHING UP
NEVER submerge the power unit in water---just wipe it off. You may be able to clean the tools adequately by simply operating the mixer in a glass of clean water. If not, then pull off the tool and hand wash.

*** Why silicon grease? Vegetable oil may turn gummy after a while, making the situation worse. Petroleum-based oil can attract dust and damage rubber and plastic. Silicon grease does not attract dust, does not damage plastic, is actually good for rubber, and improves and protects electrical connections.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vary practical and portable, November 25, 2007
Susana Velez (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
I usually prepare food and drinks for one, so I don't one to use big appliances. The mini-mixer is perfect for mixing stuff fast and without much cleaning afterwards. Works particularly well when mixing powders and liquids (like hot cocoa, shakes, etc)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tool, December 2, 2007
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
I bought this mixer for mixing my protein drink which i found difficult doing it by hand. This great little tool made my life easier. Mixes my drink in seconds and without any lumps or anything. After using it for a while I got one more of this to use it in my office. Overall, works perfect for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cordless mini mixer that COULD !, May 6, 2008
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
I found this mini mixer as a replacement for an old favorite. Amazon, as usual, had it in my hand before I was done ordering, and all 3 work perfectly. I use the bell shaped plastic mixer to turn powdered health drinks and water into a liquid. Even the thick powders can't slow this little beauty down. I gave it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tool, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
I love this little tool. I originally bought it to mix single mugs of hot chocolate, but found it was good for beating a single egg or making a small amount of salad dressing. What I have found it most useful for, however, is getting down into small bottles of moisturizer to blend in makeup pigments with. I add the mineral makeup to my moisturizer to tint it or make my own liquid foundation. The slim tool is good for putting down inside the bottle and blending, so now I don't have to empty the bottle, mix and transfer the contents back or shake the bottle forever.

Make sure you have good batteries, though. I try to use rechargeables whenever I can, but alkaline ones seem to work better for this. I've had the batteries in here for over six months and it's still going strong. When I use rechargables, they run down much quicker because they can't hold the charge for as long.

1.0 out of 5 stars piece of junk, worked for 2 months, May 15, 2007
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
i was pleased with the size and portability of this mixer. however, it is obviously cheaply made: the power button is just a pressure switch to close the circuit of the AA battery and with mine, what i would consider to be excessive pressure is required to get the thing to work. i don't ask much of my mixer, mostly i do an instant breakfast/protein concoction in the mornings. even with this light resistance, the mixer loses significant power when the attachment head is fully submersed. it may work just fine for frothing milk, but if you have any actual mixing to do, it's sort of a pain.
UPDATE 28 May 13: power button now only works intermittantly. With constant pressure on the power switch, it will alternate between full power and nothing at all. In the time it takes to mix one glass (less than 1 min) the body gets so hot, I can't hold it. Amazon's return policy would only give me about 1/4 of the purchase price. So not even worth it to send back. STAY AWAY

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought it based on reviews...wish I didnt, May 21, 2011
economist "greggonzo1" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
Not sure if I bought a dud or whats going on. This mixer kills the battery at rest. Batteries seem to last for about 3-4 days then they are all but dead. The gray button that you press to engage the mixer gets extremely hot to the touch and has burned my thumb. I bought this for my parents who ended up not using it at all because of the battery life and the scorching hot button. I do not recommend this item. Dont know if the manufacturer or amazon is up for a replacement?????

I have had several of the amazon.com/Fit-Fresh-Portable-Drink-Mixer/dp/B000FNH01E/ref=pd_sim_k_1
Use them on a daily basis several times a day and usually wear them out within 8-12 months or when I drop them in the sink. They are great and I will continue to buy them I do highly recommend these. Never bought a dud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, October 14, 2009
This review is from: Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set (Kitchen)
This was a great little mixer, and so small! It had amazing power. I mixed drinks with it, then I challenged it with by mixing protein powder into a thick oatmeal and it handled the job effortlessly. It is about the size of a small flashlight, but with the power of a device twice the size.

Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set