Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Package Quantity: 1Style Name: as shownChange

on November 30, 2001
For healthy, nutritional, quick, low mess cooking, make almost any dish with a steamer. This steamer is mid range in terms of quality of material and build. It isn't the El Cheapo department store variety that is held together with metal staples, bound to end up in the trash can after several uses. With proper care, this steamer should last you several years. Soak the new steamer in cold water for a few hours when you first get it. Always store in an open air place to prevent mildew. Clean up is a breeze, just wipe with a paper towel, or if needed a quick dunk in soapy water and then rinse.
Steamers fit best on woks that are 2 inches larger than the steamer, therefore, a 12 inch wok would work best with this steamer. Other than the recipe on the side of the box, there is nothing in the box other than the steamer. You can cook or reheat your food by placing it directly on the bamboo, paper towel, leaves, parchment paper or by placing it on a heat resistant plate or in a bowl. Also, you can add or remove steamer layers while cooking. For even quicker food prep, if you're having noodles with the meal, you can cook them in the water in the bottom of the wok - a one pan meal. Steaming is truly quick and efficient cooking at its best.
0Comment135 of 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2001
I fill this 2-Tier Bamboo Steamer with fish steaks, such as sea bass or halibut, and veggies, such as asparagus or broccoli. Then I place the steamer baskets with the lid over a wok containing a cup or so of water, and, in about fifteen minutes, dinner is ready. I put the fish steaks on top of plain white folded paper towels, so it is easy to wipe off the steamer basket when done. I store the baskets on top of a hanging pot rack. Because these baskets and lid are 10 inches in diameter, they work best on a small to medium-sized round wok placed on a gas ring. I have found this method works better on a gas range rather than on an electric or ceramic stove top.
0Comment64 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2002
I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the quality of this steamer. For example, the walls (which are made of thin layers of bamboo bonded together) are a bit rough and unevenly bonded, and fastened into their circular shape with copper wire. Thin strips of bamboo are interwoven to form the base of each of the steamer sections. Today, I bought a Typhoon brand one (8" diameter), which, by contrast, is really nicely made of all natural materials, has a base made of thicker pieces of bamboo rather than thin strips, and cost less. Of course, the Norpro one will do the job and if you need a larger steamer, it should work just fine--I am just overall happier with the Typhoon product.
0Comment71 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2011
Perhaps it was my fault since the website does NOT specify size. I assumed, wrongly, that I was ordering 6-inch steamers. Instead, I got 10-inch baskets which I did not want. Looking at the website again, it does not give the dimensions. In any event, I am stuck with them since it does not pay to return this low-priced item.

Moreover, I was disappointed to see that bright metal (copper?) staples, not shown on illustration, are used to hold the bamboo. I've been using bamboo steamers for 60 years from my early days in the Far East and never, never had seen metal used as a binding and wouldn't have wanted any.

Nota Bene: Amazon later did the right thing upon my complaint and refunded the total cost. Cheers to Amazon.
on October 4, 2005
It isn't often that I find something so inexpensive that performs to my expectations. While you do have to scrub it thoroughly after each use (since it is bamboo) it does exactly what it promises to do. We use it frequently and it has held up admirably.
on January 29, 2008
I have no complaints about this steamer. It does it's job, and no flaws after multiple uses thus far. Don't forget to wash it in cold water and massage vegetable oil into it after using, so that the bamboo doesn't crack!
on May 15, 2012
I bought this because the review was good, and it's the only one I found with the right diameter for my cooker. I need a 26.5 cm/10.5 in steamer to fit my cooker. But I was really disappointed after receiving it. The size is not as described on the website. The diameter is 25cm not 26.5 cm. The quality is poor and I don't think it can last long. The 3-piece set doesn't stack well and steam/heat will leak while cooking. So, overall, it's not a steamer with good quality and the size doesn't fit the description. I rarely return things I order online, but I have to return this set.
on July 24, 2011
Really nice steamer...looks nice, works great, good size and price. I followed the manufacturer's recommendations soaked the bamboo steamer in a sink filled with water for an hour or so then LIGHTLY brushed all three pieces with vegetable oil before using it. Initially I cut parchment circles to line bottoms of the two racks puncturing them with a chopstick to allow the steam to circulate freely...decided it was easier to just buy parchment cake pan liners (no cutting) and puncture those. Zero clean up.
22 comments7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2005
I purchased 4 2-tier bamboo steamers. They were reasonably priced and appeared virtually identical to another higher priced bamboo steamer. The steamers arrived in excellent condition and were put into service immediately. There was a recipe on the box for steamed pork dumplings which sounded yummy but I haven't tried to make dim sum yet. There were also instructions on how to care for the steamers. However, I purchased the bamboo steamers primarily as storage containers. Martha Stewart recommended using bamboo steamers as a much prettier way of storing vegetables and fruits, onions, potatoes, peaches, etc. that don't require refrigeration. Keeping produce in brown bags looks tacky. I placed two of the steamers in the garden window right over my sink. If you don't have a lot of shelf space, you can stack the baskets into a 3 or 4 basket tower. The other 2 steamers will be used in the pantry for the same purpose. The only limitation I have encountered in using the steamers for storage is that the produce can't be oversized, larger produce fits easily in the top basket with cover but only small to medium size produce fits into the other baskets.Fortunately, I like small potatoes, apricots, etc ... And, yes, I do plan on making dim sum some day.
0Comment18 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2008
I had this for almost 3 years now and I have to say that is has been a great buy. I even left one on top of the hot stove top and it got a little singe but it is still doing fine.