Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on HTL

Here’s my account of dealing with NORPRO and AMAZON after having my stainless steel citrus juicer fail after less than a year of use. I assumed that I could contact the manufacturer and get a replacement under warranty. That’s when I found out that NORPRO offers NO WARRANTY whatsoever on all of their consumer products.

Finding that out took a fair amount of effort. Just finding a customer service department for the company took some google foo. Once I did, I fired off an e-mail through their support page requesting a replacement for my juicer. I received a reply from Janey Falter in Customer service who advised me of the following:

“Norpro’s policy is to have the consumer return the defective item to the store. Once the store calls us, we are set up to credit them immediately.”

I explained that I’d purchased the item from Amazon, not a brick-and-mortar store and that the return window for Amazon was long past. They did agree to provide a replacement, but made it clear this was an “exception” and not something they do regularly:

“Please understand that we are not set up to do this. We need you to return the item to us at Norpro along with your address, phone number and a brief description of the problem. When we received the item and it passes inspection, we will replace it to you.”

I replied asking what, if any, NORPRO offers by way of warranty for their products. At that point, Janey Falter ceased to reply to my e-mails, leaving me to assume the answer must be NONE. Reading other comments on 1-star reviews for the same juicer that I purchased, I saw a pattern of customers with a failed juicer and all sorts of difficulty in getting a replacement from NORPRO. That’s when I decided to write this “review” and post it so that those considering purchasing NORPRO products can take the lack of warranty into account when they do so.

I also asked Janey why NORPRO had no mechanisms in place for customer returns but she did not answer that question.

As a consumer, I absolutely take warranty and customer service into account when I make small or large purchases. I am a lifelong TARGUS customer for this reason (I once had a TARGUS notebook bag strap break and they OVERNIGHTED me a replacement strap) and it’s also the reason I bought a SUBARU last year.

In NORPRO’s defense, they did offer a replacement unit, but they made it sound like they were doing me a favor. That’s not the sort of company I want to do business with. Offer a real warranty, offer a legitimate RMA / return procedure, and stand behind your products.

Rather than deal with NORPRO I e-mailed Amazon’s excellent customer service representatives and they agreed to replace the unit for me and even shipped me a new one before I’d returned the old one. That’s how you do customer service.

I can honestly say that I’ll be avoiding NORPRO products in the future as a matter of course.
on July 19, 2010
We bought this a few years ago to make baby food for our daughter. It was a great device and we still have it in case if we have another child down the road.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2013
Horrible...simply did not work. Unless the food was as already soft as mashed potatoes, it did not mill anything. I have already returned it, probably the worst product I have ever ordered or purchased for the kitchen. Really dissappointed.
on September 29, 2014