5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and doesn't rust like old option

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars amazed everyone loves this steamer, February 21, 2010
Lynn Long (ft. worth, tx USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
Amazed, because if you don't have your veggies exactly evened out on all sides, when you take the steamer out of the pot, the handle/stem is so soft from the steam/heat that it won't stay straight and the entire steamer will fall over to one side. I'm sorry I purchased this item. The handle in the middle of the steamer gets super flimsy when hot and it's a real challenge to pull the steamer out of a pot unless you have perfectly (and I do mean perfectly) balanced out your food. For that reason I cannot recommend this steamer and will go back to my stainless one where the handle will stay stiff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and doesn't rust like old option, January 19, 2010
MacDesigner (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
I originally bought one of those cool folding "stainless" steal steamers at Target (just like they sell here, though mine was Chefmate). I popped it in the dishwasher before even using it and the thing came out with little rust spots on it...my other stainless items did not! So, I was very happy to try this silicone strainer out tonight and see it worked perfectly. Also, I noticed in other reviews that other silicone steamers seemed to drop their contents as you lifted them from the pot. This version did not spill its contents when lifting and did a great job, so I give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Veggie steamer, April 2, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
Love my little red steamer. It is much easier to transer veggies to serving dish w/o burning myself. Recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Steamer Basket, June 1, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
This steamer basket is so much better than the metal ones that always fall apart. It is a softer silicone so you have to be cautious when taking the steamer basket out. I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
It's ok, nice color but it's flimsy and hard to pull out of the pot once food has been steamed. It's not balanced if you just hold it by the center ring. And it's too hot to hold it on both sides. Besides it bends and keeps falling to the sides no matter how you lift it when it's full.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to flimsy metal steamers, December 10, 2012
Niles36 (Fremont, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
After reading many of the reviews I decided on this product in spite of some of the comments about difficulty pulling the steamer out of a pot. If using a smaller pot, it's true: it does not come out easily. However, I usually just remove the vegetables with tongs anyway, so it is not an issue. (of course that wouldn't work with peas..) I think if you were to use a wider pot it would be fine (it's just my husband and I, so I generally use a smaller pot anyway). Another comment I read was about hard water stains. Mine has whitish stains too, but we live in a hard water area, so I am used to that. Besides it does not affect the effectiveness of the steamer or the taste of the food in any way. I can live with that as it is only cosmetic!

I have used a silicon steamer in the past, but I burned it when I forgot to put water in the pot, so I was interested in getting another. In the interim I went through 3 metal steamers, of varying prices, and they ALL fell apart!! So in spite of the negative about difficulty taking it out of the pot, I purchased this one and am happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars silicone steamer, July 6, 2012
B. Spinks (Crockett Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
I have used this steamer many times. Great for broccoli, squash, and asparagus. and, oh yes, for hot dog buns. Put buns in either a clean dish towel, or piece of paper towel. Works great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't put in dishwasher, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
I liked the idea of a non-metal steamer for my non-stick pots. After washing it in the dishwasher, it came out with a white film all over that could not be removed. It also had a weird smell to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Floppy and Sloppy, June 25, 2012
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
I purchased this silicone basket for heating up jar lids for canning. A metal steamer scratches the lids, but silicone eliminates that problem. I agree with the previous reviewers who said that this steamer is too floppy to lift out of a pot of hot water. You must load the basket absolutely evenly if you have a chance to lift it by the stem, even then it is precarious. I still use this steamer basket, but I end up using it on top of the canning rack so I can raise it out of the boiling water, and then pick it up with two pair of tongs to get it out of the pot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I didn't have to say this......., March 9, 2012
This review is from: Norpro Red Silicone 9 Inch Steamer (Kitchen)
This gizmo looks great and appears sturdy. Unfortunately, I had to return mine to Seller. (1) It fit into my favorite 3 qt. pan nice & snug......SO snug that I could hardly pull it out! Even with no veggies it it, I had to struggle with it to take it out of the pan; 2) this device did not hold a head of broccoli when I held the handle by the loop. It just doesn't begin to compare in strength with a stainless steel job. Too bad; 3) Initially, I hand-washed the strainer before trying it out, but after the 1st use I put it in the dishwasher, as instructions allow. When I removed the cleaned item from the dishwasher, the entire surfaces were covered with a white film of dishwashing soap. (I use a good quality soap.) Now imagine steaming your veggies in it.....they'd have a nice soapy flavor to them! Just love injesting those chemicals...yum!
Wish I could have given a better feedback here, but oh well, gotta go search for another stainless steel strainer!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›