Norpro Stainless Steel Commercial Potato Ricer
Size: CommercialChange
Price:$31.93 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 26, 2012
I was wanting an all around ricer for various meal preparations. Did my research and decided to pay extra for this "commercial" quality ricer. I am very displeased with this product and embarrassed myself during thanksgiving using it. We all got good laughs but ended up using the old hand smasher. We used super soft potatoes quartered and the handle bent... Not commercial quality! I also have to say that the product is not the same as on the box/pictured. My product's handle is made of flat metal not the half domed - more solid handle, and the face is the only surface with holes - not the sides. The one pictured on the packaging box and picture description, by the looks, seems that it would work wayy better. Mine is now beyond repairs :/ and I bought this back in July and barely used it for the first time thanksgiving and it broke. I hope there is something amazon will do.

As for finding a commercial quality ricer... Still looking. Please comment if anyone knows of a more reliable/versatile ricer.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2011
This is a very nice tool. It's big and strong, which is what you should expect from the fact that it holds almost 3 cups -- enough for a pretty good sized potato. Your little kid sister might have trouble using it, but you are trying to extrude a potato through a bunch of little holes, so you should expect there to be some force involved. Still, it's not actually all that much, because you get good leverage with the well-designed handles.

It's a breeze to clean, because of the way it comes apart. It fits nicely in the upper rack of my dishwasher.

I made gnocchi with it tonight, and it worked perfectly.

All in all, I highly recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2011
We like to make a lot of infused butters (rosemary, dill, thyme, etc.) and after years of trying a number of strainer combinations we decided to try a potato ricer. Amazon was running a deal on Norpro kitchen items, so we chose this commercial one.

This ricer is no joke. It is made from quality stainless steel and is built to last. We have put it through a lot and it is still just like new. I even washed it in the dishwasher with no issues. The bucket is much larger on this ricer than regular models and we are very glad we chose the commercial size. The larger surface area makes it easier to use, even on smaller jobs. We highly recommend this one for home or commercial use.

Caution - it is rather large, and requires a good bit of space for storage. It will eat up 1/3 of a kitchen drawer.
on December 20, 2010
Great Ricer. Very easy to use and plenty of room for a large amount of potatoes. A time saver. You can get through a large amount of potatoes in a short time. I also like that you pull a pin to take it apart to wash in dishwasher and it is stainless so no rust. Great product.
on January 9, 2013
I bought this Norpro Ricer and used it to rice about 10 lbs of potatoes on Thanksgiving. It seemed to work OK but the handle was bending a little when I applied a lot of pressure. It finished the job though and I thought it would be OK. The last time I used it, only the third time, the metal hinge that holds the handle on bent and I was unable to get it to work. I tried my damnedest to get it back into place with no luck. I would not purchase this item. A ricer should be able to take some strain without bending. Be warned.
on June 11, 2011
The potato ricer is nice and strong. My husband likes it for raw shredded potatoes so he can squeeze the juice out of the potatoes. We bought a cheaper one first but it did not last. He wishes we would have bought this one first as it would have saved us money in the long run.

Deb
on December 21, 2011
I've been in the market for a potato ricer for quite a while and finally settled on this very large model. It's solidly built and the cup holds a large volume (roughly a cup and a half). Over Thanksgiving, I mashed about 10 pounds of potatoes in less than twenty minutes.

Since then, I've used it several more times (the baby LOVES mashed potatoes now), and I find that the potatoes always come out great (light and fluffy with a very smooth, lump free texture) as long as I boil them very thoroughly.

On the con side, clean-up is slightly more annoying than I'd hoped because the metal surface is a little rough, and you do really have to take the ricer apart to get it clean. It's not difficult, but there is more hassle involved than throwing it into the dishwasher. It is worse if you don't peel the potatoes before you rice them. At this point, I usually do peel first, both because it makes clean-up faster, and because bits of skin come through the holes in the ricer and get into the potatoes. One other (tiny) quibble: potatoes do squish out the back and sides make operating the ricer a little messy.

I've also found that for smaller quantities of potatoes (less than 2 pounds), it is probably easier just to use my big Oxo garlic press. I have to chop the potatoes into significantly smaller pieces, but it gets the job done and is easier to clean.

Still, in all, I am pretty happy with this product. It makes really excellent potatoes in medium and large quantities without too much hassle.
on March 17, 2012
I bought this Commercial Ricer for the sole purpose of making nice mashed potatoes and gnocci. I did my research, and bought this one because of its excellent reviews, the phrase "commercial" (thinking that meant heavier duty), and price range (near top of the line for kitchen ricers).

The aparatus is very big and looks well built. It also has the feature to come apart with a quick pull tab.

I made gnocci the first time I used it and I do slightly undercook the potatoes so that they become perfectly cooked after making the gnocci. The potatoes struggled to squeeze through the ricer.

I made gnocci again, the same way. I even microwaved the potatoes after boiling them to make them a bit softer in the middle. Same problem, hard to squeeze potatoes through the grates, though this time the potatoes were thoroughly cooked.

Now, the handle is aobut 1/4'' off center (first time, it was about 1/8'' off center, so each time I used it, it falls farther and farther off center. I expected to be able to take full advantage of the large ricer size and use half to whole potatoes inside, but that bent the handle.

1 star for materials used, 1 star for 1.5 day shipping to me, and 1 star for using this ricer for anything else other than halved potatoes.

Let me know if you have any concerns.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2014
At Thanksgiving and Christmas, my family refers to me as "Tater Boy." That's because I made some decent mashed potatoes many years ago, and I've been stuck with the job (and the name) ever since.

I used to peel and mash my potatoes with a masher (they came out good). Later on I replaced my masher with a counter-top electric mixer (easier than mashing). However, I discovered that a mixer can sometimes make the potatoes somewhat "gluey" in texture. I then bought a ricer, and I've never looked back. With a ricer, you don't have to peel your potatoes before they're simmered. That's good, because (right or wrong) I believe that potatoes simmered with their skins on make better tasting mashed potatoes.

When I make a batch of potatoes, I simmer them gently with the skins on. Once they're tender, I remove them from the water and use a spoon to easily knock off most of the skin. I then load the hopper about 2/3 full of potatoes. When you squeeze the handle, the ricer spits out bits of potato that look like cooked rice. And because they've been riced, no further mashing or mixing with an electric mixer is necessary. All you have to do is add softened butter, warm milk, and seasonings. Finally, mix everything together with a large spoon and you're done. The results? Fluffy, not gluey potatoes. Tip: Be sure your potatoes are fully cooked and tender before they're riced.

I have a ricer that I bought years ago that's very similar to the Norpro. However, I like the Norpro better than my old ricer for two reasons: 1. It's stainless steel (so it won't rust). And, 2. The pin that joins the two halves together won't come out unless it's rotated to a certain position (this helps prevent the pin from falling out accidentally).

I recently tried an OXO Good Grips ricer, but I didn't like it. Why? While the OXO has three adjustments for texture (fine, medium, and coarse) I found that even the "fine" setting allows too many pieces of the peel to get through the holes. Also, the OXO is a cup-style ricer (the part that holds the potato is like a cup, instead of a hopper on the Norpro). And while a cup-style ricer isn't a bad design (as long as you peel your potatoes before they're riced), I soon found out that picking pieces of potato peeling from the bottom of the OXO's cup isn't as easy as removing them from the hopper on the Norpro.

Even though the Norpro ricer is made in China, it's well-made and not flimsy. There are no sharp edges, nor any plastic parts to break off or melt. The various pieces that make up the ricer are tack-welded together. There are no screws to come loose (only a hinge pin, which is made to be removed for cleaning). Unless you're trying to "rice" a raw potato for some reason, I can't image that anyone could bend the handle on this thing in normal use.

Final thoughts: So, what could be easier than using this ricer to make great mashed potatoes? Well, you might try to "sweet-talk" someone else into making the potatoes. Aside from that, I can't think of anything easier.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
durable and well made. Use it for squeezing liquids out of various concoctions as well as for mashing potatoes and other root vegetable.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations