Norpro Stainless Steel 8.5 Inch Loaf Pan
Item Package Quantity: 1Change
Price:$11.47 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 10, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1
These pans are superbly made. Being stamped from one sheet, they have no nooks and crannies in which residue can build up, and the edges are rolled and feel perfectly smooth. Bread bakes beautifully, and falls out of the overturned pan, leaving them looking almost perfectly clean - though I always spray them lightly with canola.

AND... MOST IMPORTANTLY, there is no non-stick layer to contaminate foods.

These exit the dishwasher looking as brilliant as they did the day they arrived (I never place any non-stick items in the dishwasher.)

There is one issue with these pans - their size: The cooking cavity is maybe 1" less in both width and length than typical bread pans (IMHO) though the depth (height) is similar.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
I have just started baking bread by hand (gave up the machine because of the teflon). I hesitated to buy a pan in the 25-dollar range, but was determined also to avoid non-stick coatings...finally , this seemed a good option.

So far I am v pleased. I oil it well before baking. Sometimes a loaf doesn't emerge without some help in one area or other, but on the whole it's pretty good. And it feels nice and robust.

I'm about to order a 2nd pan! Good price for a good product.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
The description says the pans are 3.2 inches deep. The ones I received are only 2 inches deep. I'm returning them for this reason.

The pans are nice, though. The metal is a sturdy gauge and have a nice finish, all at a reasonable price (an even better deal with the 4 for the price of 3 special offer). Alas, I need deeper pans.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2008
Item Package Quantity: 1
This item is exactly what I expected. I make bread for our family using fresh-ground wheat flour (Nutrimill). We were using a silicon loaf pan and a Pirex loaf pan, and I definitely prefer the Norpro pan. The size and shape are on the money, and the polished finish is great. After several months of use, I have to say that every loaf has come out perfect. The pans are sturdy and should last indefinitely.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
After reading reviews, I purchased two of these pans -- primarily for the purpose of baking bread. I've used them about five or six times now, and could not be more pleased! It took me quite some time to find loaf pans that met my criteria: I prefer light bakeware to dark (the dark always seems to brown my baked goods too much), and I wanted something of decent quality at a decent price. These certainly fit the bill, and I will probably be buying more in the future so that I can bake more loaves at one time.

Pros:
1. They have a good "weight," and feel very well made (still look brand new after a few months)
2. The curved corners & lack of metal seams make them super easy to clean
3. My loaves release beautifully from the pans
4. They're stainless steel, rather than the more common aluminum (I'm not keen on having aluminum in contact with my food, especially during baking)
5. My baked goods come out with beautiful crusts -- not a single over-browned loaf to date!

Cons:
I really can't think of any, except perhaps that you can find cheaper options (with corresponding lower quality) -- but they're currently the cheapest stainless steel loaf pans on Amazon (when shipping is accounted for), and they're worth every penny in my opinion!
on June 29, 2009
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
This loaf pan is wide and the sides are low. The stainless is heavy and excellent quality. When I make bread the dough tends to rise higher in this pan compared to another stainless with higher sides and produces larger loafs.
VINE VOICEon August 19, 2011
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
For anyone who would like to know where these were made, all of the paper inserts that came with each of the pans I ordered said 'Made in India for Norpro'.

I bought 8 stainless steel Norpro pans because of the predominantly good customer reviews at Amazon. They are heavy-duty and come in a nice variety of shapes & sizes. However, all of the Norpro pans I received have tarnish marks and also discoloration on the inside of each pan. I am concerned about the quality & safety of these foreign-made products. Will chemicals or alloys leak into food as these pans are heated? Therefore, I'm returning the 8 pans and requesting a refund. I don't mind paying a little extra money if health & safety are concerns, and will hopefully find similar items of better quality produced in the US or Europe.

UPDATE:

For anyone interested in buying Made in USA stainless steel bakeware, I highly recommend ALL-CLAD. I bought several baking pans and baking sheets made by them and they are excellent. They are easy to clean and always come out looking like new when cleaned with Bar Keeper's Friend instead of abrasive soap powders.

Main features of ALL-CLAD stainless steel bakeware:
- Bonded tri-ply 18/10 stainless steel construction with aluminum core that produces supremely-even heat distribution
- Designed to withstand extreme heat of commercial ovens. Maintains precise shape throughout a lifetime of service
- Brushed stainless steel exterior, polished cast stainless steel handles and flush interior rivets for easy release
- Lifetime guarantee of superior performance and made in the USA
- Dishwasher safe

You can get ALL-CLAD stainless steel products through Amazon. Just do a search on 'ALL-CLAD stainless steel' and many of their cooking products will come up.

You can buy Bar Keeper's Friend Cookware Cleanser locally or on Amazon. Only very little is needed to clean the ALL-CLAD pans, so it lasts a while.

ALL-CLAD makes high quality products that will last a lifetime, so the additional expense for these Made in USA goods is well worth it.

I'm sharing this because it is so hard to find really good products that are still made in the USA, and I hope the above info is helpful to you.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 25, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
I bought 4 of these pans for my health focused wife who has recently gotten back into baking. She will not cookware made of plastic, Teflon, or other materials that will leech chemicals. We tend to use stainless steel or glass products, especially when high heat is involved. She was very pleased with how well these pans worked for making 1 pound bread loaves. I was pleased to have fresh and warm whole grain bread on a cold winter day. Seriously, these are a solid investment for under ten dollars each.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2009
Item Package Quantity: 1
I just baked bread & it came out beautiful. I used some oil & flour to coat the bottom, the bread came out nicely. Next time I'll try without the flour. This steel pan did better than the expensive calphalon non-stick pan.
on February 13, 2009
Item Package Quantity: 1
I bought this recently, and was very disappointed with the quality. The workmanship was poor (the metal was uneven) and the rolled edges had small burrs that can catch on your fingers. I am a big fan of stainless steel products, but I would not recommend Norpro in the future.
To make matters worse, when I returned it, the price of return shipping was deducted from the price of the item, so I got burnt twice.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations