5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, many uses, great multi-tasker!!
I have had this tool for a few years now and it continues to work just fine.

It is a nice little multi-tasker. I have used this tool for the following tasks:

1. Cookies of exactly the same size, even baking

2. Chocolate truffles

3. Cheesecake balls to be dipped in chocolate

4. Ice cream balls also to be dipped in...
Published on May 7, 2006 by Amalfi Coast Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars not so great for thick dough
Published on September 10, 2012 by M. Whalen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, many uses, great multi-tasker!!, May 7, 2006
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
I have had this tool for a few years now and it continues to work just fine.

1. Cookies of exactly the same size, even baking

2. Chocolate truffles

3. Cheesecake balls to be dipped in chocolate

4. Ice cream balls also to be dipped in chocolate

5. Melon balls

6. Goat cheese balls to be baked or rolled in herbs or nuts

7. Scooping Risotto for fried risotto balls

8. Perfect bite size meatballs

9. Gnudi (Italian Ricotta and Spinach dumplings)

10. Spingi (Italian doughnuts)

I now cannot imagine baking cookies without this little tool. It is so nice to have all the cookies be exactly the same size. It makes baking much more pleasurable.

This tool has so many uses. Whenever it is helpful to have products turn out the same size (bite sized) I grab this little tool from the drawer. I come up with new uses for this tool every month.

I am not certain what lubrication one of the other reviewers is referring to. There is no lubrication on this tool that I can find. As long as it is clean (no dough or other gunk dried in the sweep mechanism) it works fine. I make certain to drop it in a mug of hot soapy water as soon as I am finished with it to make certain that nothing gums up the sweep mechanism. After 5 minutes a quick hand wash and it is ready to go back into the drawer.

I highly recommend this product to anyone that loves to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough Little Scooper, October 16, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
I knew there had to be a scoop made for serious cookie makers. This scoop withstands the thickest cookie dough imaginable. What astounded me was that the cookie dough released so easily. Squeeze after squeeze my amazement grew, the handle didn't break. Being made of stainless steel gives this scoop the stability needed to withstand pressure on the handle. Did I forget to mention that along with brawn you get beauty too?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy!, November 19, 2002
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
I can't say enough about how handy these are. I love my cookie scoop. This one is very sturdy and can take heavy use. One of the benefits of making a batch of cookies with this is that they all come out the uniform size. Uniform size helps in baking evenly and also they just look better once they start out from the same size and shape. I have also used mine to scoop up peanut butter for chocolate covered peanut butter balls. Very handy. Pampered Chef sells a similar model that is more expensive, but it identical to this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy!, February 18, 2007
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
This makes quicker work of cookie making. I did break it using it to scoop caramel for truffles though. So I wish it was a little sturdier. But it is very handy for cookie dough and cleans easily.

2.0 out of 5 stars not so great for thick dough, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
I bought this to replace a cheap scoop, and it turns out this one wasn't much better. I use scoops for everything-- muffins, cupcakes, measuring cornbread batter. And this one makes the perfect sized cookies (IMO), but if you use it with thick and/or chunky cookie dough the gears will constantly slip. Each time it happens the piece meant to scoop/ push the dough out juts out from one side and doesn't effectively clear the dough from the spoon. It's a giant pain in the a$$ to stop in the middle of making cookies, wash out the scoop, and make my hubby get up from watching TV to find some pliers and coax the gears back into place. And then, of course, after I manage to (gently) scoop a few more cookies the gears slip again and I just give up and use a spoon. Sigh. It was supposed to make cookie baking EASIER. My other scoops are from Gordon Food Service or restaurant supply places online, and those seem to hold up much better. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a sturdy model in this size.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for cookie balls, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
I used this scoop for making most of my holiday cookies and it greatly sped up the process. The spring works well, though the handle isn't that comfortable for scooping large quantities of dough. I've also used it as a melon baller and it worked like a charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Portion Scooper, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
I am very portion cautious when it comes to my food. It was difficult to measure out 1 tablespoon portions of sour cream, peanut butter or butter without most of the product left in the tablespoon. With this scoop being exactly one tablespoon it is now easy to get a quick scoop of peanut butter and it cleanly come out in a perfect portion. I highly recommend this for diet minded people who are trying to accurately measure their foods...this works best for the stickier foods that are often a pain to measure conventionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy scoop, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
This is a short review becuase there are many others that are much more in depth. I love this scoop. I purchased it based on the reviews and compared it to the reviews of different brands offered here on Amazon. As others have listed its many uses, this scoop is exremely versatile. I use it most for making uniform chocolate truffles. The scoop has a great weight, the lever mechanism is not strenuous to use, and the overall quality is just superb. I found this to be a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Scooping, September 7, 2007
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
This was really worth the price. I've seen cheaper versions in various stores, either made of plastic or a less substantial stainless steel, but I'm glad I ordered the Norpro instead. I make a lot of cookies and this scoop size is perfect for a small cookie. The gear operates smoothly and easily releases dough from the scoop. Now I'm sorry I didn't order the kit that has three sizes of scoops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Drop Cookies, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm (Kitchen)
This scoop has been worth it's weight in gold for scooping a perfect sized drop cookie. It holds up very well even to thicker dough.

The only bad thing I can say about this scoop is that if you are trying to go too fast and are squeezing to release the dough too hard, the whole mechanism can weaken. After doing this a few times, I can notice that the release of the scoop isn't as clean cut as it once was.