5.0 out of 5 stars The PERFECT gate for ferrets!
I ordered this since I saw the other review from a ferret owner and they were exactly right - thank you!

Published on December 13, 2008 by L. Holland

3.0 out of 5 stars It's kind of hard for me to operate
I like the product and it does work once I have it locked in place. It's getting it locked in place that takes so long. I move it from room to room, so if it's set up and never moved it would be great. However, I always have to fiddle with the thing for minutes to get everything lined up just so it will glide into place. Bit of a hassle with little kids with little...
Published on July 29, 2008 by kris powell

5.0 out of 5 stars The PERFECT gate for ferrets!, December 13, 2008
This review is from: North States Industries Supergate Pressure Mount Clear Choice Extra Tall Wood Gate (Baby Product)

Most gates have a bit of a gap on either side that's fine for dogs or babies but big enough for a ferret to either sneak through or to get a nose stuck. My last gate (this one by First Years - [...]) I had to buy wood and glue it to the sides to fill these gaps. This one sits really close to the wall on both sides so perfect right out of the box.

It also doesn't have the wimpy clips that some of the clear plastic gates have. Mine fell over once when it wasn't in use and one clip broken. Couple months later one of my cats pulled it over while jumping it (since it was loose with only one clip set) and the other clip broke. So less than a year later, I threw away a $40 gate!

This one is like the old-style wood gates with a notched bar, a metal bracket and a wooden arm that comes down to lock the gate in base. And once it's locked down it's VERY secure. Instead of plastic lattice of the old-style gates it's clear plastic - with only one vertical bar. As long as you put that side towards the ferrets there's no climbing the gate. At 32" it's also higher than some gates which prevent any vertical jumping over (not that ferrets can jump very well ;))

Definitely recommend and very happy I picked this one. Solid, well made and surprisingly inexpensive, too! Also would like to add that I ordered this with regular shipping on Dec 8th and it showed that it wouldn't be here till the 15th. It arrived on the 12th!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for climbing pets, February 16, 2008
Erin O (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
I love this gate because I can block in our out my small dogs and not worry about them.

I have one dog that will climb on plastic mesh and metal cage barriers, and half of the time she will misstep and her leg will get caught in the mesh/cage and be left dangling--very dangerous.

While there are many gates that would have been safe for my dog, all of them required that hardware be installed into the wall. Since I rent, I try to avoid making holes in the walls whenever possible. As this gate is pressure mounted, I do not have to worry about that issue at all.

When I found this gate, for its very reasonable price, I bought 2. It works wonderfully, the dogs cannot climb it, but it lets light pass through the plastic. It also comes in Extra Tall, for the larger, taller, or more powerful jumpers. (North States Extra Tall Clear Choice Wood Gate - Pressure Mount)

I would recommend this gate to anyone with pets who have aspirations of climbing their way to freedom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for restricting pets to certain parts of house., July 27, 2008
Valorie M. (wichita, ks United States) - See all my reviews
I got a couple of these to corral my new puppy in the kitchen area of our house. They work great for that. However, I am 5'7", not short, and sometimes it can be difficult to step over the gate. (They are easy to remove and replace as needed)If they were a couple inches shorter they'd be perfect. That aside, this is a great, inexpensive solution to a common problem.

Edit to add: I have been using these gates for about 4 months now, and they have been kicked, tripped over, and otherwise mis-treated. They are both holding up perfectly fine. I don't know what the people were doing to break their gates, but it must have been something akin to nuclear war! I am very happy with this purchase, and have actually been considering buying another one to keep the adventurous pup from going upstairs, where she then cries for someone to come get her. *eye roll*

7-27-10, edit to add: Been using these two gates I bought over a year ago and they are still in great shape. They've been heartily abused by dogs and humans alike, with zero problems. I just raised my rating because I realized that these are SO much better than many gates that have holes or slats that super naughty pups can climb!

2-2013: I *still* have and use the two gates I bought, they still work great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle Ferret Barrier!, December 30, 2009
This has been the only gate that has been effective in keeping my ferrets in or out of a room! The solid plastic panels keep crafty ferrets from climbing over it and does not leave enough space under it or on the sides for them to squeeze through. Would definitely reccomend for frustrated ferret parents!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the critters at bay!, November 22, 2008
I bought this to keep my two ferrets bottled up in my living room. Since they can climb, jump, or find their way around a ton of obstacles this gate has been a lifesaver. I got two and they work perfectly as the ferrets have nothing to climb up due to the clear plastic panels.

When the gates arrived one was broken but Amazon took care of my problem in a day! I got a new one and the cost of me sending back the broken item was refunded...in a day! Love the service I get from Amazon, and the gates are great too, I highly recommend for anyone with ferrets, or any other creature that likes to go places it shouldn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you figure out how to set this up, it's a 5, September 21, 2010
I just got this gate today for my 2 mini lop bunnies. Very adorable, very rambunctios, and very smart! So I needed something bunny-proof, that would let me keep my bunny-room door open but keep them in the safe bunny-proofed area.

I love the height of this gate (2'8"), the fact that it's clear (seems like less of an obstruction, visually), the fact that its wall is solid and doesn't provide a paw-hold for my bunnies to climb on.

And once you figure out how to lock it, it is very solid. I don't have baseboards so I can't comment on that. I fit this in between my door posts and it is solid.

My one complaint is that the directions should be more specific and have a photo.
Here's the trick to open and lock this thing:

The "gate lock" is the upside-down "U" shaped thingie next to the written numbers. You have to take this *Completely off* the under bar with the numbers on it [this is the part they leave out]. THEN you slide the bar to the right number (ex. 36 for a 36 inch opening), at which point your two bars look like an upside down "V", and THEN you slide the bar down to snap the "U" lock device down onto the number bar.

It will usually take a little elbow grease to align both bars, but it's not a big deal. I'm an average size lady and I have no problem with it.

Hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well to keep the cats contained, August 24, 2011
seby_deadbee (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I like this product because it foils "climbers" but is transparent enough to see through. It does, however, take a little tweaking to use successfully. Many reviewers have already pointed out the limitations of the fixed notch method this product uses to lock the gate at a particular width. These notches are at 1/2 inch increments, and many have complained that their door/hallway widths are not exactly on the inch or 1/2 inch, rendering the product "useless". Here's where I disagree, anyone can get this gate to provide a firm barrier, no additional equipment needed (provided your walls and doorways aren't measureably crooked and/or warped). All you have to do is remove the "loose" gate from the intended location, lock the gate at one notch *larger than* the width of the doorway/hallway, then gently wedge the gate into place at a slight angle. Doorways are a bit tricker using this method - one end of the gate may need to be wedged up against the hinge-side part of the jamb that is exposed when the door is open. In this case, the door can't be closed while the gate is in place, but if you're shutting the door you really won't need the gate there anymore anyhow.

Got "jumpers"? I stack two of these in place to foil my cats' attempts to jump over my imposed barrier. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ferret blocker!, November 25, 2008
Finally, a gate that the sneaky guy can't get thru. Once you figure out the locking system (it's a bit different)this is wonderful for keeping the small ferret out of where you don't want him to be. No holes to go thru the sides and no net to climb up and over. I will buy another one when the plastic baby gate from One step wears out that I bought 5 years ago that is now [........]. I am sure this would be great for baby too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 7, 2008
C. Allen (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
I just got my gate today and could not be more pleased! I am using it to keep a rabbit contained, not a child, but it works perfectly because there aren't any plastic or mesh holes she can chew through. It seems very sturdy, and I love that it lets light through- somehow it makes the room look more "open" than my last opaque gate did. It is short enough that I can step over it without having to move it every time I want to enter the room, but tall enough the rabbit can't possibly climb over (especially since the solid surface doesn't allow for any "toe holds"). All baby gates should be made this way!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for curious babies too, November 13, 2007
I use this gate to keep my very active, very determined one year old granddaughter out of the boo-booville kitchen while I babysit her during the day. When she goes home at night, the gate comes down then goes up the next day with minimal effort and no damage to the wood door sills.
Very useful and very affordable.