5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely delicious anthology...
I purchased this book for a class, but was delighted to discover that I will definitely want to hang onto it afterwards. The translations chosen for the 'Ancient World' portion are, for the most part, delightfully vivid and capture the spirit of the original language. I also like the layout - the margin size is just perfect for taking notes.
Published on February 18, 2006 by Antonia Balvanz

2.0 out of 5 stars This book does not worth the price.
It is in a bad shape, very old,wrinkled, and thorn in a couple pages. it does not worth the price i paid. I can't even resell it.
Published 6 months ago by Maggie

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely delicious anthology..., February 18, 2006
This review is from: The Norton Anthology of Western Literature, Volume 1 (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Textbook or Addition to Personal Library, April 8, 2007
I purchased this book for my Literature class. Unfortunately we did not get to read all of the works. I have fallen in love with this book and I hope to keep it for many many years. Some of the works can be boring but if you keep an open mind and concentrate on the ideas, language, and meaning you will understand even the most boring of works.

4.0 out of 5 stars College level, May 16, 2008
I bought this to use with Tapestry of Grace curriculum, and used it with a 14 yr old fresh out of public school. It was way beyond her vocabulary level and reading skill set. This is a book I have seen used in college classes, and it figures, because much of the poems and plays are written in old or medieval English. We ended up scrapping this book most of the time and reading the same works in modern English online.
Having said that, for a child who is used to a classical education, this collection of works would be a pleasure to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the classics in one., July 6, 2013
taniia (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I couldn't believe how much I loved this book even after my literature class was over. I think the combination of the book and my old professor made me want to learn and read more. I had read most of the books before but I finally understood and appreciated every work with this anthology. Some of my favorites are: The Illiad, The Aeneid, The Odyssey, Dante's Inferno and many more. The only flaw to this book is that it's too thick and small to carry around for an everyday read and the pages are very thin so be careful when you flip a page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect, May 29, 2008
Just perfect, indeed; the selection of the texts, the meticulous translation, the presentation, the ambiance, the layout, and above all the quality of the research.
It is a treasure.
It is monumental.
It is a masterpiece.
Highly recommended to students, teachers, linguists, researchers and all those who are fond of the "Divine Letters"!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, highly recommend, September 12, 2009
this is an awesome book, it has all the classics and some that should be classics! I have read Volume 1 and 2 and I love both of them. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for college, January 27, 2010
Good book to learn some literature from. It is good to understand and it contains the right stuff. Great, quality book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bound education, October 29, 2014
The book arrived on schedule and is in good condition. As far as the book content I know that the topic is world literature but all in all it is well written. In my college class we have to write papers and put them in MLA format. This is a very hard book to site due to the many authors. Of course if this book is a required book for your course you will not have a choice just a little FYI. Also the introductions to each time period is important and well written. I use the introductions a lot when written my papers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 6, 2014
Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 27, 2014
Necessary for the lover of literature

The Norton Anthology of Western Literature, Volume 1
The Norton Anthology of Western Literature, Volume 1 by Heather James (Paperback - August 2, 2005)
Used & New from: $5.12