5.0 out of 5 stars Norton antivirus for a 2009 Mac Mini
Published on December 27, 2011 by M. Nusair

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad luck with this, buy with caution
Purchased NAV12 download directly from Norton.com for use on various Macintosh machines. The download and install was completed initially on a new Mac Pro running 10.7.2.

Published on April 11, 2012 by W. Sowell

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad luck with this, buy with caution, April 11, 2012

Downloaded and installed cleanly and relatively quickly. Upon launch the Auto-protect toggles were off and when I tried to turn them on was prompted to use LiveUpdate to update files. LiveUpdate was unable to deliver all files completely, some red, some green. Made a few more attempts, no avail. Still was unable to enable Auto-protect and could not even run a quick scan. The scan engine could not be run at all with the constant prompting to run LiveUpdate (over and over and over, ad nauseum).

Worked with Norton tech for over an hour, nothing we tried worked. Finally gave up, they issued a refund for the subscriptions and I uninstalled using Terminal (because I didn't trust the uninstall utility that was bundled in the download). Support from Norton was excellent though, as they always have been in the past with other Norton products we use. This one was a big waste of time, sorry to say. I bought this with the understanding it was 10.7.x compatible, but apparently there are glitches.

Purchase with caution. Never even got to the older machines with this so cannot speak to older Mac OSX issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars For Mac OS X 10.7 only, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Norton Antivirus for Mac (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I got this the Norton page didn't have the "Mac OS X 10.7 only" warning. My Mac is about 3 years old so I wasn't thinking it was that out of date, but I guess if I want virus protection I will have to upgrade as Norton tech support told me there is no alternative product for slightly older Mac operating systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norton antivirus for a 2009 Mac Mini, December 27, 2011
M. Nusair (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
At first, I followed the instructions that came with the disk and clicked on the "install" button and was told that the computer operating system was not compatible with the program. However, I did notice that the disc had a note on it's package that said "Includes version for Mac OS etcetc" (I can't recall the exact numbers but it was my machine's OS) so I looked at the disk contents and discovered that there was a subfolder that had a separate set of install files for the older system. I then clicked on that and all went well!

The program works seamlessly, as it's previous version did. I had uninstalled the previous version before installing this one just to make life easier in case of conflict, and everything worked.

The one criticism I would have for Norton is that the auto-install facility should direct the user to the older version, which is on the same disk after all, rather than simply say that it was incompatible and cause a good deal of frustration and heartburn for a few minutes. It might also cause fewer calls to customer service - I was about a minute away from calling when I decided to hunt around in the disk and see if the other version was there.

I bought this from Amazon and their associated seller delivered it very promptly. It arrived just a couple of days after I placed the order.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but only provides one year protection, April 7, 2013
Bryan Barrow (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Norton Antivirus for Mac (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Good:
Norton Anti-Virus for Mac provides protection for both newer Macs running 10.7 and 10.8 (version 12) and older, Power PC Macs all the way back to OS 10.4.11 (NAV version 11). I'm using an older G4 Power PC, so that feature was important to me.

The Bad:
as others have mentioned, the Live Update feature can be troublesome, and scans can take a long time.

The Ugly:
Nowhere in the Amazon listing does it mention this product only provides 1 year of protection. On the back of the package, in tiny print, it states that NAV provides protection for a "renewable one year service period".

1.0 out of 5 stars never again, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Norton Antivirus 2012 for Mac [Download] (Software Download)
Many friends always told me never to buy Norton product. I got a email Trojan horse the other night so I thought "no, I'll go ahead and get it". Absolutely the worst decision I ever made. I've installed 100 programs, and been thru 4 or 5 macs. I'm not a noob. It didn't install correctly, then when I tried to uninstall it, it hung up my Mac and finally turned it into a brick. Luckily, I had backed up to a hard drive and therefore I reinstalled OSX and then used my time capsule recovery, and all is well again. I will never buy another Norton product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work with OSX Mavericks., December 9, 2013
WH.... "WH...." (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norton Antivirus for Mac (CD-ROM)
This does NOT work with OSX Mavericks. Does NOT install. Nothing. It was a total waste of money and time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Conflicts with Parallels Desktop & FireFox, June 27, 2013
Hmm.. You would think that its norton, it must be good. It was really disappointing. It conflicts with Parallels Desktop, and the file details gets corrupt, I was really a pain. I feel virusbarrier is a better tool as I had it previously and it worked fine.

After running a scan FireFox also stopped working. I am really upset. :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars NAV for MAC ver. 12, August 24, 2012
I downloaded this from Amazon and installed it under Mountain Lion. My MBP rebooted, and NAV needed a second Live Update and reboot to finalize the installation. I have all options enabled. There were no problems after the first ML update.

A full scan takes longer than I would have thought. Overall, there seems to be a slight reduction in computer speed. It took a few chat sessions with tech. support to locate a link to a user's guide.

Since I ran Norton AV on my PCs for years and never had virus issues, I wanted to give it a year's subscription time on the MBP to see if I needed it. My Apple friends refuse to run anti-virus software but my PC experience makes me skeptical that any computer can run without virus/malware protection. I would be overjoyed if Apple proved me wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow Slow Slow, June 30, 2013
I felt like I had good protection, periodically I would get msgs that a vulnerability was blocked which gave me a sense of protection. Now for the bad. This slowed my computer on a regular basis to an unusable level. I would get the color wheel for 3-5 mins at a time, sometimes over and over on all apps. My computer would periodically crash (daily) without warning and I was 90% convinced my HD was failing. I read several posts in apple support forums and I tried everything from repairing disc permissions to running utilities, finally i gave in and removed this. BINGO - jackpot back to normal!. The reason I did not believe this was the culprit, I have a 2012 15" Macbook Pro, with a 2.2GHz quad-core, and I upgraded the RAM to 16G, there is always 8+ available RAM and my CPU rarely shows over 10% utilized, how could this be bogging down my computer? I don't know, Im not a tech guy, but I do know I am glad its gone. Think twice on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars It does not work in MacPro!, June 15, 2013
Pedro A.PequenoRossie (Winter Park, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
When I tried installing this product software, an alert came up stating that this antivirus software was not compatible for my MacPro because it has a Mountain Lion processor. I tried again and again about installation but always with the same negative results. Could I get a refund on my American Express account on this product?