Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on February 6, 2014
I have had Norton antivirus for the past couple of years and it always seems to work great. This new version does not seem to be an exception. I saw all of the reviews saying that they were having installation problems, so I took some preventative measures. First I bought and downloaded the installer. Then before actually installing, I turned off my internet (disabled the wifi), and uninstalled Norton Antivirus 2013 through windows control panel. Once uninstalled and restarted, I opened the folder that was downloaded after purchasing from Amazon. The top file is the installer and the second is the product key. I double clicked the installer, installed and the Antivirus is working great. The product key worked and everything is running smoothly.
The only reason I am writing this lengthy "How to install review" is because there are so many reviews saying that they had a bunch of trouble installing. One said that Norton made it difficult to install the cheaper Amazon download; maybe to push people to buy/ renew the more expensive product from Norton on their official site. So that is why I uninstalled before installing the new product. Hope this helps and God bless.
on December 22, 2013
Purchased, and loaded from amazon download center. loaded easily. Scans detected no issues with my PC. Loaded malware bytes product, it detected 16 issues. I knew I had become infected with tube dimmer, but this product would not detect it. I guess you can call yourself great(reviews), IF you pick what the "definition" of a virus is.... I requested a refund from Amazon... We will see how that goes. Price for download was reasonable. Try ti buy from the Norton web site - Much more $.. Renewal for many Norton products become nagware near the end of the subscription, and Norton wants you to upgrade at full price. So much for buyer loyalty discounts. Not happy with Norton anymore.
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2014
It never downloaded, even with help from tech-support. Tried several times with no success. Was told I couldn't get a refund.
on November 28, 2013
I was having some issues with my computer shutting down, unable to access the internet at times and getting many errors. I decided to download the new Norton anti-virus program, deleted all of the other "free" anti- virus programs already on my computer and have had NO problems since. It was amazing! So easy to download immediately from Amazon without leaving my home.
on December 14, 2013
MUCH cheaper than renewing it through the Norton web site....Same product, much lower price this way. And it works very well.
on March 4, 2014
I ordered the Norton Anti Virus software download from Amazon because I just couldn't see paying $49.00 for it else where. You just can't beat the price and convenience of just downloading the software.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that I thought I had down loaded it properly, until after my trial version expired and got to doing some checking on my computer only to find, it wasn't downloaded. So I went back to Amazon, and re-downloaded the program. Fortunately for me it also showed on Amazon that it was never downloaded either or else I would have had to repay for it. It's only good for one user/1 license.
on March 30, 2014
It is a good antivirus product and it was a good low price here on amazon. A bit confusing at first because I did not realize that it starts with a few weeks of a trial. All one has to do is use the activation code to replace the trial with the full year subscription. Norton helped stop many viruses from getting onto my computer the last few months so it works well, the only problem I've had with it is that it doesn't always catch annoying addware.
on August 4, 2015
I have used, almost exclusively, and recommended to customers, installed on many customer PCs the Norton Antivirus products since the very first antivirus was introduced by Peter Norton in the very late 1980s. I have, until now, had good success with these products. This particular install, on one of my computers, updated automatically to the latest version, Norton Security. Oh, what a mess. Installed on a Windows 7.1 64 bit PC with 32G memory and an Intel 4790 I7 CPU . . . this antivirus started crashing the computer randomly, especially did not like IE11. Way overload on the CPU, constant drilling, huge memory hog, just way too many things dumped into the latest Norton Security version. Tried in vain for three days to get this thing to work. Please note that I am run a small computer services/sales/repair business and have built PCs, written software for them, programmed them configured them, setup complex business networks and internet . . . AND I was finally able to diagnose the issue in the latest Norton to a couple particular files that were necessary for the software to work. I finally reached a real person in Norton tech support, who knew nil about what was happening, only wanted to connect to my PC and tinker with it . . . the answer here is always a big NO. These guys always mess up the PC worse than before, and I have had to repair and correct their tinkering on many customer computers. I finally insisted to get transferred to a higher level tech, and when discussing the issue with him he was quite surprised that I was able to locate the issue with a particular file in the installation . . . now this techie knew about this problem, I was not the only one having it. He offered to email me a FIX, what he did, that was a link for me to download a pre-prepared for this problem software correction. We also discussed possible manual corrections, registry edits, included. I applied the fix and performed the recommended manual registry edits to no avail, the problem was not corrected. The PC was still very temperamental and certain applications would randomly crash, the PC took forever to boot, and the CPU continued its continual drilling as well as the memory was being hogged and constantly changing. I could not get another response from Norton tech support to report these results after trying repeatedly for over an hour.

So, I totally uninstalled the program, using the latest Norton Removal Tool. Please note that the Norton Removal Tool is supposed to remove all traces of all Norton products, but, almost as expected, it leaves registry rummage that has to be manually removed, AND it totally ignores the Norton Identity Safe application (that works with the browser) uninstalled. This Identity Safe had to be manually uninstalled via the Control Panel.

Once the computer was finally cleaned of all Norton products and registry clutter remnant rummage, rebooting was very fast (36 seconds) for being completely ready and no more crashes. The PC ran splendidly.

As antivirus and real time malware protection is absolutely necessary, I purchased the Malwarebytes Premium real time and installed that. I have been a good Malwarebytes fan, as have most good PC service personnel, and have used the FREE version tens of times to clean customer PCs of unwanted viruses, malware, PUPs, and other trash, as well as registry entries. When all else fails in cleanup, most knowledgeable folks go to the free Malwarebytes.

For quite a while now, I have been running the Malwarebytes Premium with very good success. The computer runs fast, the protection is not a memory or CPU hog, it performs as stated. I probably will not go back, even after 25 years of Norton use, and probably will never purchase another Norton product. Simply stated, as Norton claims with their new Norton Security, one application DOES NOT FIT ALL --- one application does not work on all devices as Norton claims. I am sure that they are trying to get with all the wireless and smartphone and tables use that is replacing ordinary PCs today, but in the business and corporate world, PCs still are necessary as PCs perform tasks that these other wireless smart devices cannot do, or do not do well, or are most difficult to use for a difficult task.
on July 14, 2014
There are things that bug me about Norton, and most of those issues go away if you get into your settings and change things to your liking. The worse thing they do with Norton is running the performance program by default, it will pop up with certain programs and complain about how much of your CPU it is using, very annoying and useless to boot. Happily, you can disable this annoyance.

But - it does take care of my computer's security, and I like the safe search that you can enable with it, and I use their identity safe program. Norton needs to learn to make their programs less annoying, but they aren't the only ones. Nobody wants to be nagged by a program, period.
I've used Norton products for about 8 years (since I've owned my own computers). I've ran Norton on laptops and desktop PC's. I have read reviews that the Norton software slows down PC performance, but I believe the contrary that the Norton software actually speeds up my PC. Depending on the software you buy, there is different options to help speed up your PC.

Also, I have NEVER, repeat, NEVER had a virus before. I'll admit I've gone to some, well shall we say, shady websites and Norton detected problems and fixed them immediately. Spend $30 a year and save your pocketbook from hundreds of dollars of virus repairs!