Published on November 23, 2009 by RC362b

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbootable Source Drive
I tried using "Copy My Hard Drive" to make a bootable Windows 7 disk clone and it rendered the source drive (C:) unbootable! I had to get out the installation DVD to "repair" my Windows 7 installation.

Published on December 20, 2009 by chris319

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbootable Source Drive, December 20, 2009
chris319 (West Hollywood, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)

I used to back up my XP drives this way using Ghost 12 and it worked smoothly for years. No backup program should modify anything on the source drive. There are several threads on the Symantec site about this and no one has a clue. Save your money if you plan on using the "Copy My Hard Drive" feature.

3.0 out of 5 stars My Norton ghost 15 report card, December 4, 2009
Backups get A+:

1. Backing up over network, high compression, custom drivers loading is easy to do. You will backup in style

2. Superior and useful utilities.

3. Every imaginable problem from the legendary Ghost 2003 is fixed and improved.

4. No more .gho format anymore. The current format so far has handled some large partition backups for me. Full 30GB partitions to high compression is a breeze.

Restores get C-:

1. Right away after a partition recover, you will get the message "Please insert the Recovery disk". It will say "Error EA730002: Cannot find the driver database directory". How does this error stay in the product? It is one confusing message for a successful recovery. The recovery disk is really just the ghost CD.

2. Then there is the staged recovery mystery. With 2 identical machines of the same hardware, I can only restore to the machine where I initially did the cold backups. I don't understand. This is ruining my confidence in the product. We are talking same motherboards, same versions, everything.

3. What other kind of hardware replacement will prevent my restores? Should I buy another backup product just in case?

1.0 out of 5 stars Ghost 15.0 has a fatal flaw., February 24, 2010
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)
Ghost 15.0 will not communicate with my Netwok Attached Storage hard drive from Iomega. Since the reason I bought it was to back my system up on the NAS drive, it is worthless. Norton Support Technicians have spent a great deal of time on my computer trying to make it work for over a month with no success. Finally they said "Sorry, but no refund". Every other application, includung Norton Security Suite work fine with my NAS drive so I believe that Ghost 15.0 has an inherent flaw in its communications routine which you will not discover until you have opened the package, thereby ruling out any refund. DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Issues When Restoring - Stay away!, May 31, 2010
1. I got the product for "free" as part of a bundle package of NIS 2010
2. A huge fan of Ghost 2003 for years
3. Thought to give it a try in spite of the bad reviews
4. Backed up all of my four partitions on the 1TB HD - HP TouchSmart Q600 - All seem to be fine
5. RESTORING (or lack of) - Booted from the rescue disk, restored all partitions and around 55% got the "please insert the recovery disk" message. The recovery disk was obviously in the computer. Tried for 2 hours different variations (only one partition etc) same issue. After goggling the issue (also known as "error ea730002") I found out that there is NO solution to the issue, but 7 pages of logs of very disappointed individuals that can't restore their system. If you are really interested, Norton claims that the issue is windows PE platform related (this is the OS they are using for the rescue CD). I personally couldn't care less as I can't restore my computer.
6. Restored my computer to factory image
7. Downloaded a trial version of Acronis 2010 and it worked like a charm. The only complaint that I have with them is that my HP TouchSmart Q600 is all wireless (Mouse and keyboard) and their boot screen will default to booting windows vs. their rescue OS - so I had to find a USB mouse and connect it for the restore (not a big deal)

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible with Windows 7, March 23, 2010
rhebusman (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)
I purchased Ghost 15.0 because it was billed as compatible with Windows 7 both by Symantec and Microsoft. However, attempted installation produced "error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.". Four hours with technical support failed to resolve problem. The technical staff elevated it to the engineering team who never responded (my phone battery went dead while waiting over 30 minutes on hold). Finally, I got agreement for a refund.

While the technical support staff appeared to not be familiar with this problem, on their own users community site I learned that this is a well know issue with Ghost 15.0 which the technical support staff routinely refers to the engineering team who never respond.

I stongly recommend against purchasing Ghost 15.0 for Windows 7 users.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ghost 15 / 64bit & Network, December 14, 2009
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)
Although Ghost backs up to an internal, usb external and network drive on my 64bit Win 7 machine, you can't restore from the network drive when using the system recovery disk. It advises that I (the user) need to find and load the 32bit drivers. Symantec's advice is to call Dell and Microsoft; Dell and Microsoft advise that it is a Symantec issue. After 3 runaround cycles, I just gave up. For the record, Win 7 has a built in back up recovery environment that is not as robust, but somehow it is able to find the network when booting from a restore cd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably the worst Norton product I've ever used., February 3, 2010
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)
I bought this because I wanted a program that would continually make backups in the background, thus saving me the hassle of doing it myself. I use Norton Ghost at work all the time (an older version) so I figured it to be a pretty good program, and I was wrong. I did a full backup, and then attempted to transfer the image to a new hard-drive. Upon imaging (which took several hours) on every boot I would get some cryptic error, and then it would restart. I tried imaging three times without success, so I figured maybe the MBR or something got corrupted. I then installed the OS, programs etc. onto the hard-drive and tried to retrieve some of my files (like the Music folder, and My Documents). At every step it felt like I was fighting the UI. Nothing was logical and when I finally got to where you can retrieve files, I found that it was just that, files only, no folders, no directory structures, just files. I'm just thankful I made a real backup before I tried this nonsense, otherwise I'd be in some serious trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost 15 is the BEST version of Ghost yet. Thank you Symantec!, November 23, 2009
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)
I don't usually post product reviews. I am just too busy and it is rare that a product impresses me enough to do so, but Ghost 15 warrants my time. This is hands down the best version of Ghost yet. It even bests Ghost 2003, which was my previous tool of choice simply for its flexibility. I have used the following versions of Ghost over the years: 2003, 9, 10, 12, and 14. I have imaged the following windows versions with various versions of Ghost: 2000, XP, Vista (x86 and x64), 7 (x64), Server 2000, 2003, 2003 R2 (x64), 2008 (x64).

Built-in windows utilities do some backup and restore functions, but they pale in comparison to the power, ease of use, flexibility, compression options, etc to Ghost 15. It is well worth $50!!! The ability to create images from the Recovery CD is ALONE worth the price to upgrade from version 14. You are also able to create customized recovery CDs. The recovery CD creation wizard automatically slipstreams any storage drivers you provide that are unique to your hardware. The ability to create VMware ESX and Hyper-V images is also a promising feature I am eager to test. Scheduling backups is nice to have (not new, version 14 had this), but not something I utilize much. I mostly do manual backups of baseline and incremental development images in a test environment.

Recovery CD image creation returns with Ghost 15, and is better than ever! For reasons I don't pretend to understand (probably in the interest of software sales), Symantec removed the capability to create images from the Recovery CD after Ghost 2003. This, for my uses, seriously limited the software's overall utility. If I wanted to make images of Microsoft Server products (other than purchasing Symantec's more complicated and expensive enterprise oriented Ghost Solution Suite), I was stuck either installing Ghost 2003 (which does install and function on Server 2003 and 2008), using the 2003 version 3.5 inch floppy boot disk to make images or creating a separate dual-booted XP maintenance partition to install and run later versions of Ghost on. Now granted, Norton Ghost is only intended to be a client solution, but these methods do work for the MS server OSs. Thankfully, Ghost 15 brings back recovery CD image creation. It has been sorely missed since Ghost 2003. BTW, this "maintenance partition" works well and continues to provide great utility for many reasons besides just imaging. XP's relatively small footprint and continued wide ranging compatibility makes it very useful in this role. The built in Windows Vista/7 and 2008 boot managers handle everything well.

To address the issue of having to upgrade with each new Windows version, well, that's the nature of the business for this type of software. Besides normal API changes, there are disk, partition, and file system structure changes from one version of OS to the next. These types of changes greatly affect software's ability to accomplish low level tasks, like disk imaging. As an example, Ghost 14 would install and run in Windows 7, but after testing I found that images were corrupt and unusable. I had to use Ghost 14 from the "maintenance partition" I mentioned above, and even then it would only work with default options. Antivirus software is another example of software being affected in this way. So with the next version of Windows, you will have to upgrade again to a new version of Ghost as Microsoft changes things in the OS (that is not Symantec's fault). I am astonished that my copy of Ghost 2003 has worked as well as it has for so long, but it too has lost some functionality with each new generation of Windows.

Thank you Symantec for producing a very functional and useful product, and for adding in a greatly missed feature. I thought seriously about moving to Acronis, but thought I would wait until Ghost 15 was released. I am glad I did. The only complaint I have left is the lack of ability to install and run natively on 2008. I doubt that a client Norton Ghost product for standalone 2008 use will threaten sales for the enterprise targeted Ghost Solution Suite.

UPDATE: I have now used Ghost 15 on Windows Server 2008 R2 and, although you can't actually install it natively, you can run the Recovery CD to both create and restore images. So far it has been flawless for both. I was able to create a customized Recovery CD and slipstream Highpoint RocketRAID 4320 and ICH9R drivers for my servers and the CD boots and runs without even a hiccup (which the OOTB Recovery CD croaked on so I know the drivers were not there to begin with). I have not tried network drivers yet, but will and I don't anticipate any problems as long as the NIC is not something exotic. I am also using Ghost 15 natively in Windows XP Pro "maintenance partitions" on several Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 machines and it works flawlessly to both backup and restore them (have done extensive testing already). I really don't understand how some of the reviewers here are having so many problems. The most important rule of backups (after doing them in the first place) is to test them to ensure that they (and the backup hardware and software) are good. So if you are going to rely on the Recovery CD, take some time to test it and the backups to ensure you have the right driver mix befoe you have a real world problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ghost 15 is not fully compatible with Windows 7 64 bit OS, September 28, 2010
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)
This will be short and sweet: Forget it, it's not worth the trouble, here is why:

If you are planning on using Ghost 15 with Windows 7 64 bit operating system you will find that you can not use the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD) because it will not allow the use of 64 bit drivers, the type of driver Windows 7 64 bit OS uses to boot up with. As a result while you are able to boot off the Ghost CD (very slowly) you will have no access to any of the systems devices (disk drives, CD/DVD, etc) and will be unable to restore anything.

To solve this you must create a CUSTOM Symantec Recovery Disk with 32 bit drivers for all your essential devices.

The problem? You have to go find the drivers yourself.

Why the 64 bit driver problem? Microsoft blames Norton, Norton blames Microsoft: No matter who is slacking off, the result is you are now on the hunt for 32 bit drivers.

The computer manufacturer may have some of them, but it doesn't have the drives for peripherals and tells you to go to the component manufacturers web site, which may or may not have the drivers you need. You will find yourself hunting all over the place for model numbers, firmware versions and the like.

If you find the drivers you need between the various manufacturers, God help you get those drivers loaded onto the Custom Symantec Recovery Disk you will have to try to create / burn if you want to actually use the Ghost 15 software for a recovery operation.

I'm still wondering: Why did I spend good money to wind up with such a headache?

1.0 out of 5 stars None of the reviews make sense, August 9, 2010
This review is from: Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC (Software)
I fail to understand why nobody (unless I have missed it) has mentioned that you CAN NOT boot from version 15 cd to recover files using the "analyze" then "explore my computer" then click on edit then copy. It has been disabled but not on version 14.

I do not mean a recovery point either. With the older version of Ghost 14, you can boot any pc with it and then select "analyze" then select "explore my computer". Then you can see all of your files and select edit then copy them to an external hard drive or another local drive. According to Symantec, you need a recovery point made first. So my response is that version 15 of Ghost has the file copy feature mentioned in the location above, but it is DISABLED. Tech support could not resolve this.

If I boot from a Symantec Ghost version 14 recovery cd on any PC, I can copy files with no problem without making any kind of restore point first.
If I boot from a Symantec Ghost version 15 recovery cd on any PC, I CANNOT copy files to an external drive.

If anybody has any idea or experience with this problem please post a note.

Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC
Norton Ghost 15.0 - 1 PC by Symantec (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$184.99