on September 14, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
Norton woke-up in 2009/10 making the interface user-friendly and its signature updates running in the background making the software less resource-hogging. It's continuing the same trend this year (NIS2012) with a little less cluttered interface - meaning most features automated for the novice user, but you have to dig in deep to make advanced changes. It works well with Windows7 as well as Win XP if you care (I don't have Vista - so cannot comment about that).

1. Installation: As in the recent versions of NIS, installation was a snap. It took under 2 minutes, but needed a restart. If you have existing license for NIS, download the update from support -> check for new version menu item from within NIS. You can update the license number from the disk later when your license is about to expire. In previous version(s), NIS overwrote existing license period if you upgraded from disk. I havent checked it on this version (I still have about 90 days left, too risky!!).

2. Interface: The main interface is less cluttered, but a new addition is a big status window (floating gadget) on the upper right corner of your screen with large buttons for different menus. Most buttons on these menus are for other Norton products unrelated to NIS (annoying). For example button for on-line back-up (costs extra!) or mobile protection for android (free), parental control (free) etc. I havent found an easy way to get rid of this yet! (Alright! It's easy. There is a close button next to it and if you close it, it does not reappear after a restart).

3. Setting up: Most of the settings are done by default and should be fine for the average user. For example how often to scan your computer, what time of the day, which files to allow to connect to the internet etc. If you need advanced settings, most of those are just a couple of clicks away and mostly easy to find. There are some menu items that could have been done better. If you had existing trusted network information from previous NIS, those are retained which is good.

4. Security: As in previous versions, NIS was good at detecting most of the commonly bothering cookies and adware. Everytime you download a file, it is checked for viruses and if it is from a trusted website and there is a pop-up saying it is clean. Similarly, like previous versions, Norton safe search marks results from google searches as safe or not. you can check website security by looking for norton trusted symbol e.g. bank sites or amazon.com - that way you wont enter your password in a phising site.

5. What's new? Like mentioned above the annoying floating gadget is new. The primary interface is less cluttered but at the same time advanced settings are easily accessible from different menus. The new version does appear to be a little faster than 2011. might be significant on older systems.

Overall, very good protection with minimal resource usage.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
This version appears to build upon the 2011 version. A simplified user interface masks an upgraded version of the 2011 interface. The user can now select to either have the simpler interface appear when opening up the Norton product, allowing for easy access to launch scans or for checking on/running live updates or otherwise one can set the product to regularly open up to the more advanced interface, displaying a revival of CPU and Norton usage meters, along with a trust level meter displaying the amount of files currently trusted by Norton that are on the computer after a reputation scan has been executed and also in conjunction to what setting one has selected beforehand for computer scanning purposes. The product appears to function well, with no real noticable slowdown in performance from the previous version thus continuing on with Norton's lighter footprint design and improvements which were introduced with the 2009 versions of Nortons. Quick scans are now automatically launched by the suite during new update periods and run daily on their own. The quickscans supposedly have now been improved upon to create a more thorough scan than on previous versions, while also offering improved upon rootkit scanning. Also, Norton's Sonar has been improved, along with the Insight Database, allowing NIS 2012 to provide a solid multiple layered level of protection/defense to the user. In addition, the firewall remains excellent, along with the anti-spam. With all of this said, it is important to realize and understand that no security suite will ever provide 100% protection to the user. Using common sense while online is of paramount importance. However, if one desires to have among the best protection currently available in a security suite for 2012, then in my opinion NIS 2012 is an excellent choice. It was again chosen as Editor's Choice by PC magazine out of the new 2012 internet security suites, and in my opinion it was chosen that for good reason.
on October 29, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
I bought this because the 1 year sub was up on 2011 and I was able to get 2012 for cheaper than sub for another year for the 2011 version.

Install was easy but I don't see much of a difference in what 2012 offers than what 2011 had. There are a few things I don't like about 2012:

1. It scans my system a lot slower.

2. No option to totally turn off autoupdate like you could in 2011. Can turn off auto but pulse updates turn on then and gets greyed out so there is no way to have them both be off at the same time. I like to update it manually liked I did 2011 but can't now.

3. No way to turn off quick scans like you could in 2011.

4. Seems to load slower at start up when set to "aggresive" but 2011 started right away.

5. When you click on settings or any of the options the software takes longer to respond. At first I didn't think I had clicked right and tried again but it took a few seconds to respond. Future tries have the same results.

6. Constantly bugs you to sign into your norton account if you click on update and then the page has script errors and no way to turn this off. Only option is to sign or click remind me later which takes several tries and the first click on remind me later doesn't make it go away and instead just refreshes the page again.

Other than these issues it works but wish I had stayed with 2011.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2011
Platform for Display: PC DiscVerified Purchase
I was just about to purchase this same exact software, but without the cd - download only, on Symantec's Norton site. They wanted what seemed like a fortune - no price breaks for current customers. I ALMOST bought it, but thought I'd check Amazon first. What do you know? They have the cd version for almost half the price of Norton's online. This will allow me to install on the 3 pc's it covers without having to download it. Just a note: the download window from Norton online has an expiration, after which you are just out of luck. With the cd, you can reinstall at any time without a problem. Go Amazon!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2011
Platform for Display: PC DiscVerified Purchase
Years ago Norton Security was a bloated, over-priced security suite that deserved the universal scorn heaped upon it. But times have changed, and in recent years Norton has slimmed down, gotten in shape, and won back the respect of security professionals industry-wide. Check out NIS reviews at PC magazine and elsewhere to read up on it yourself.

I upgraded from 2010 to 2011, and from 2011 to 2012. I have yet to regret it as the software does exactly what it should: provide a highly secure firewall, and expert antivirus protection, in a practically transparent manner to the end user. I don't even tweak with the settings anymore - the software recogizes common software programs and selects the appropriate settings. It updates itself automatically. It scans automatically. You can be as involved in this process as much, or as little, as you choose. Which is how it should be. For those of you who still don't secure your computer? Well, the cost of fixing your credit rating, paying for a monitoring service to look out for unauthorized credit checks and card accounts, and your overall loss of sleep if your identity is compromised is far more than the cost of this software. Think of like insurance - we hate to pay the premium, but we are pretty happy when we need the coverage. And, now that a single license covers three computers, this software is even more of a no-brainer.

If you are renewing an existing subscription, like NIS 2011, keep this in mind: when you select "check for new version" or install a new retail NIS 2012 disk, you are NOT adding to your current subscription. You instead are purchasing a new subscription for coverage for another year. I upgraded my NIS 2011 to 2012 thinking my "remaining subscription days" would remain the same. I lost a few days, but no big deal because I was near the end of my subscription anyway. But if you have days remaining, wait to install the 2012 disk software or upgrade until your existing subscription is almost or completely gone. Otherwise, you will have your subscription clock "reset" to 366 days remaining, meaning you won't see your previous "days remaining" added to the new subscription period. It just resets it because it is a new subscription. Only if you renew your existing license through the software itself will you see your remaining days added, but that is a far more expensive route than buying a new license/key through Amazon.

Good luck and stay secure.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 10, 2012
Platform for Display: PC Disc
Using Win7x64. I know it's fashionable to hate on Norton and they were making really awful products for a while. Since a revamp around 2009 their software has become very lightweight and fast. I wouldn't full scan while on the computer but it won't slow down the system as it monitors your files.

One caveat, though. I find Norton is too permissive compared to other software. To combat this I change a few settings so it prompts me whether to accept new or unfamiliar files. There is just one MAJOR problem when doing this ...

As of the date of my review, there is no way to accept or deny Norton when it prompts you. Let me be clear. When Norton prompts you whether to accept new or unfamiliar program files, there is no button to click to either accept or deny the file. They forgot to put the buttons in the prompt. (!) Since Norton freezes your computer while waiting for a response and protects itself against attacks like "End Process", the only way to get rid of the prompt is to restart the computer. People who use the default settings probably won't notice this for a while. People who want control over what Norton accepts and denies will find this program unusable. I realize these are non-standard settings but it should not have gone out the door like this.

I have tried to contact Norton about this issue but navigating support is like making your way through a maze. The best I could do was fill out a feedback form. I'm not optimistic they will see this complaint, much less fix the problem. Support was one of the reasons I stayed with Norton but it has taken a nosedive lately.

Edit 4/14: Attempted an upgrade twice and a complete uninstall/reinstall twice including completely deleting all of my user data. Now the current version of NIS 2012 will either completely lock up my Internet connection or the program grinds to a halt at random times. If I try to open Norton it will lock up and give me an error 8504,104 (which helps a lot). Of course I can't end the process (access denied) so I must restart the computer to get my connection back. Funny thing is Norton will provide a toll-free telephone number for you to call if it cannot access the Internet. However, in spite of going through two levels of "support", including having them take control of my computer and call me back two hours late, they cannot figure out the problem. I had no troubles with NIS 2011 on this same computer. My rating stands.

Edit 7/20: If all the above isn't bad enough, consider that you will be inundated with spammy emails on an almost daily basis if you let your subscription run out. They don't even provide an unsubscribe link in their emails.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2011
Platform for Display: PC DownloadVerified Purchase
I'm not going to comment on this product's features, I'm already running it on three computers and I'm totally satisfied. I bought a new download because my current subscription was expiring. It's $70 to renew the subscription with Norton or $31 to buy a new 3 user download from Amazon. I discovered that after you make your purchase you don't need to do the download; just go to your existing Norton Internet Security, click renew, then click "I have a key or code to enter". Enter the code that's on the Amazon software download page and you're set!
I tried doing a full install on my first computer, it de-installed the old product but didn't reinstall a new one. When I restarted the install it installed OK didn't update the subscription. I used Norton's excellent online support to find out all I had to do was enter my new key.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2012
Platform for Display: PC DiscVerified Purchase
After reading the reviews here, I did not see much reason to upgrade from IS2011 to IS2012, so I bought this to extend the license on my IS2011 for my 3 computers for another year and paid a lot less than Norton wanted by doing it via just clicking the renew icon (they wanted $49 for a 1 year license).

At the bottom of the initial screen when you double click on the IS 2011 tray icon, there is a Renew link just below SUBSCRIPTION STATUS:

At the bottom of the screen that pops up there is a message:

If you already have a subscription renewal code or a product key, enter it here:

I entered the IS 2012 Product key there and I have 2011 for 366 days (yes I lost the 14 days remaining).
on January 14, 2012
Platform for Display: PC DiscVerified Purchase
I have always used Norton but the 2012 edition messed up my system from the start. Then Internet Explorer started running very slowly and links would not work. After nearly 2 weeks of email tech support and 7 hours on the phone with Norton, their final solution was that since the problem was with Internet Explorer, I had to contact Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they downloaded a program called SuperSpyWare Professional trial version and it immediately found that the computer was infected by 2 trojans. These infected my system while Norton was running and supposedly protecting it. Also, Norton scans had just come up fine. As soon as these 2 trojans were removed, all the problems with the computer were gone. I now know I CAN NO LONGER TRUST NORTON TO PROTECT MY COMPUTER. Microsoft recommended Kaspersky which is what I intend to replace Norton with. I will never use a Norton product again as it does not do what it is supposed to do.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Download
I used Norton on and off for 10 years now. Lately, I was mostly happy with the program until today.

I have a computer that I do not use very often. Today I needed to start it to do something. After 10 minutes I got 2 programs to pop up asking to be updated. Knowing that I blocked these annoying programs from accessing the internet through the Norton firewall, I started the Internet Security to check the settings. I was perplexed to see that the Norton Internet Security was completely off (firewall and antivirus) and the message was that the subscription could not be verified because I was not connected to the internet for a while (to be more exact it was 39 days since the last LiveUpdate). I pressed the Verify button and the message changes to: Subscription Status: 249 Days Remaining.

UNBELIVABLE !!!! This thing turned itself off with no warning and apparently, it was designed to do so! A product that I paid for and activated it as they require, decides not to do its job. More than that, although I was connected to the internet, 10 minutes after starting the machine, the program still did not verify the subscription or notified me about the issue. I had to verify it manually.

Good product turned to be GARBAGE by design. It may work well, but if it does this, it serves no purpose and only gives people a false sense of security. I just can't believe they did this.....