1,747 Reviews
 (1,095)

5.0 out of 5 stars It may be cheaper to buy 2012 version first!
First, I want to point out that for the first time in a long time, I've found security software that runs quietly in the background without hogging system resources, and without getting in my way. I am impressed that Symantec has finally addressed this.

Published 18 months ago by N. Krumpe

3.0 out of 5 stars Why pay $79.99 when you can get it for less than $25.
I have used Norton Internet Security since 2007 and it has improved year after year. I enjoyed using NIS 2013 while in beta on Windows 8. NIS 2013 does not bring any major changes from 2012 except extra cloud-supported management features, faster performance, and Windows 8 compatibility.

Now the interesting thing about Norton products is that with an active...
Published 19 months ago by Michael Fischler

5.0 out of 5 stars It may be cheaper to buy 2012 version first!, October 2, 2012

Second, and more importantly (because it may save you money!): I just purchased the 2012 version of this product. From within the 2012 software, there is an option to update to the 2013 version for free. Installing the 2012 version only took about a minute. Downloading and installing the 2013 update only took a couple more minutes.

The moral of the story? Before you purchase this version, see if the 2012 version is still available. If it is, and it's cheaper, get it! You'll end up with the 2013 version anyway, and you'll save a few bucks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why pay $79.99 when you can get it for less than $25., September 17, 2012
This review is from: Norton Internet Security 2013 - 1 User / 3 PC [Old Version] [Download] (Software Download)

Now the interesting thing about Norton products is that with an active subscription you are entitled to the most up-to-date software, free of charge. Just click on "Check for New Version" under the support tab and you will get the update. Amazon just pulled the 2012 download (was priced at $45 for 1 user/3 pc license) in leiu of the $79 2013 download. You can get a boxed 2012 edition for about $22 (same 1 user/3PC) and then get the free upgrade to 2013. So why should you pay $80 for NIS 2013? A better question is why should pull the full amount when it is already discounted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest Renewal Ever!!, December 26, 2012
I was earlier planning on going to staples and buying Norton Internet Security 2013, get the Instant Rebate and then get the easy rebate netting to $39.99. Instead I went to Amazon and purchased the Norton Internet Security 2013-1User/3PC download for $19.99. I didn't even had to download as I had the option of seeing the new product key. With that key I just opened my existing Norton, chose Renew, entered the product key and Done!!. I am good for another 365 days..."That was Easy". No pun intended Staples is still one of my favorite store.

2.0 out of 5 stars NIS2013 needs lots of rework - critical problems, September 14, 2012
Having been a happy Norton Internet Security user for more than 10 years, this time my advice is to wait for more weeks or months till Norton fixes existing problems. NIS 2013 affects your windows 7 login and shutdown processes taking 40 to 50 seconds more than usual. your computer seams sluggish at times. Sometimes after the windows 7 login, the computer freezes due to ccSvcHst.exe problems. Have had some crashes with firefox and chrome because of Norton addin. The new interface is complex when it was so simple in NIS 2012. It makes you feel the product is still on Beta. NIS2013 version 20.1.1.2. My PC config is i7, 6GB RAM and virus free.

1.0 out of 5 stars A backward step from previous versions, November 12, 2012
Mark S. Radell "msradell" (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I've been using NIS since it first came out but am now looking for alternatives. While I don't have any complaints with the security features of the program they have completely destroyed the security vault. Instead of storing the data locally is still stored on their cloud! I don't trust my personal secure data to be stored anyplace where I don't have control of it. This has been brought up by many users at Norton refuses to budge! They're going to be losing many users because of this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not install with Windows 8, January 5, 2013
I have used Norton products for the PC and Mac for over 20 years. Based on my latest experience, I will NEVER purchase another Norton product. I installed NIS 2013 shortly after upgrading to Windows 8. NIS 2013 simply doesn't work with Windows 8. I started having problems downloading emails, then problems installing program/app updates. I suspected NIS might be a problem, so I disabled the software. Then I couldn't re-establish NIS. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the NIS, same problems as before. While on the phone with Norton tech support, my computer crashes and I can't recover. They tell me to call Microsoft tech support. Windows recovery disk also doesn't work. MS also can't help, short of telling me to wipe my computer clean, then reinstall Windows 8. Finally, I was able to uninstall NIS while in Safe Mode. By the way, Windows 8 comes with Anti-Virus (which both Norton and MS failed to mention to me). I made sure that Windows 8 anti-virus was enabled and I haven't had a problem since.

Norton - you just lost a customer of 20+ years

5.0 out of 5 stars NOTRON IS WORKING ON FIXES, September 30, 2012
Update 2, Norton has patched the software. I have since installed it on 3 systems, 2 windows 7 and one windows 8 and its been just fine.

UPDATE: there are some serious issues with NIS 2013, causing various system errors. You can read about them on nortons forums
[...]
there are many more.
Please stick with norton 2012 which is superb until norton provides the proper updates. Can be downloaded here Norton.com/nis12

Orginal Post:Norton 2013 is superb. I switch to norton in 2009 after they revamped the software from the ground up. Gets better every year. The reviews who left a one star because he was shipped 2012 has a beef with the seller, and should not be rating the product bad. Also you can activate 2013 using 2012 product key, just download 2013 trial then activate.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Nightmare, January 3, 2013
Paul Heinrich (CHANTILLY, VA, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this SW from Costco and the nightmare began. It crashed all my exe files and when I called Norton they charged me another 49.99 to fix it. But guess what after 3 hours I was told that I had to call microsoft and my credit card was charged twice. Thank God a system restore worked but I am still having some issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally quite good, except..., December 25, 2012
Okay, so first of all, in general, this has been a very good product as far as performance goes. I've had no problems with installation, configuration, resource usage, cpu usage, etc. And I must say that this surprised me somewhat, after having read quite a few customer reviews from various places, and also having read opinions, comments and user experiences on some forums.

However (there's always a "however", isn't there)...

...there are three things that are extremely irritating to me:

1) During installation, I was required to create an online account with Norton in order to complete the installation. This was not specified in the product description, and I had absolutely no idea about this. So, shame on Amazon for not explicitly stating ALL stipulations required for the product. But more shame goes to Norton for their deceptive practices. Who are they to require me to create an account? What if I would rather think about it for a while to decide whether or not their online services are worth it to me? I am not given that choice. They require an email address and other personal information from me to create the account, telling me that such information will not be made available to any other entity. But we all know that is a crock of nonsense, as it is relatively easy for a company to disseminate such information for their own benefit using deceptive means while still technically adhering to the letter of the law.

2) The software installs itself as a service on Windows. The service is listed in the services management console, but I cannot change any setting for the service, even though I am an administrator on the machine. For instance, I wanted to change the startup type to Manual temporarily for certain purposes, but everything is disabled and I cannot change the services settings at all. THIS IS UNCONSCIONABLE!!! And this behavior is no different than an unwanted virus. Essentially, NIS has hijacked my computer, preventing me from administrating my own computer as I see fit.

3) NIS takes control of the Windows firewall settings, again behaving like a virus. Who is Norton to decide what my firewall settings should be, and what programs should and should not be allowed through firewall? Who is Norton to tell me that they know better how I should manage my firewall than I do? Who is Norton to hijack my firewall settings and subjugate them as they see fit? Go to #@$%# Norton, for your selfish and deceptive practices. At the very least you should give me the option to have NIS manage my firewall settings, or not.

Thus, NIS is a good performing product, but I can never give it 5 stars because it does not permit me (AN ADMINISTRATOR!!!!!) to have full control of my own computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Norton NIS 2013 Software Issues, December 1, 2012
Warren Sephton (Los Angeles, California United States) - See all my reviews
We have used Norton Internet Security for several years on four computers (two home & two business). We have never logged a single problem, until now. After installing NIS 2013 we started getting messages (ccsvchst.exe) and having hung apps. Having read the reviews before purchasing, I assumed the issues stated were not common. However, we now experience high cpu usage (50% - 90%) that prevents
using the computers altogether! This problem occurs with different OS - HP with XP, Dell with XP-PRo and HP with Windows 7.
Norton help actually denied ever hearing of this particular issue!!
We are going to uninstall and find another product.

ARRAY(0x9ccf89c0)