1,222 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Save Money -- buy NIS 2013 Instead!
Published 10 months ago by craigzon harmer

What I like: Has an effective Firewall and Virus protection. Works in the background without noticibly slowing down the computer.
Updates are done without needing to check off a box or annoying pop up windows.
The 2014 version seems to load faster in Windows 7 than the prior version.

What I don't like:
Norton Internet Security is very annoying...
Published 9 months ago by Sam Archer

3.0 out of 5 stars Faster than the 2013 version. Works great until it nears expiration., November 19, 2013
This review is from: Norton Internet Security 2014 - 1 Year / 3 Licenses (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Updates are done without needing to check off a box or annoying pop up windows.
The 2014 version seems to load faster in Windows 7 than the prior version.

What I don't like:
Norton Internet Security is very annoying right before it expires. The program will send you constant pop up messages telling you to renew your subscription which you have keep clicking to get it off your screen.
When it finally expires, you will still get constant pop ups telling you that you must subscribe to be protected.
Worst, the program seems to stop functioning after the 1 year subscription ends. The older versions kept working but wouldn't update the virus subscriptions. The 2013 version just stopped working after 1 year until you resubscribe. This is a terrible feature that isn't mentioned anywhere.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Save Money -- buy NIS 2013 Instead!, October 30, 2013
I already have Norton Internet Security (2012?) installed and its nagging me to renew -- for $69.99! It also gives me the option to renew and upgrade to ... something else (Nortion One with Norton AntiVirus) for $59.99, which may seem like a good deal except that it notes this is a $149.99 value, so you can guess what's going to happen next year when I try to renew if I "upgrade" this year.

But, here on Amazon I can a brand new Norton Internet Security 2014 for ~$48 -- $12 cheaper than renewing. That's annoying.

Even better, I can buy Internet Security 2013 for $19.24 on Amazon (ASIN B008TND0RK), and Norton claims to upgrade you the latest version for free with a valid subscription. So I bought that instead. And it worked to upgrade my existing subscription.

So, instead of renewing for ~$70, or buying the new version for ~$49, I bought the PC Download version of Internet Security 2013 for $19.24 (ASIN B008TND0RK) and save $50. The PC Download version immediately gave me a product key, which I then typed into the Norton "Renew" screen and it renewed my subscription for 366 days, saving me $50 over using the "renew" button on the installed software!

I believe that if you buy the 2013 version and install it, it will automatically upgrade you to the 2014 version, though I haven't actually tried that myself.

Important note! I had 14 days remaining on my subscription. Instead of giving me 14 days + 1 year, I only got 366 days after my renewal. Once you get your new product key you'll probably want to wait until there are less than 7 days left before renewing.

Note: this same technique worked with NIS 2012 --> 2013. At some point Symantec (Norton) is going to disable this, so when NIS 2015 comes around be sure to check the reviews to see if you can save money by buying the older version than.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, low impact on performance, November 10, 2013
SP3204 (Auburn, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As others have noted, Norton (in general) used to be a resource pig. I was actively shopping for something different several years ago - but ended up sticking with Norton Internet Security for "just one more year". However, they had noted it had been completely rewritten and it really did a lot better and I have been using it since, with virtually no problem. I'm moving on again to the 2014 version and it's running well, and I rarely notice it's running in the background.

I like the anti-phishing features, warning about possible malware, and the notations about web sites when using search engines. Without being able to prove it, I think that they have become much better about "spyware" than they used to. But having been attacked in the past, I still recommend running other tools such as NoScript (with Firefox), various web blacklist apps (such as Spyware Blaster) and scanners (such as Spybot Search & Destroy) - although my confidence in Norton has vastly increased in the last few versions.

I'm pleased to be able to stick with NIS for another year with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch anti-virus/security suite., November 10, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Norton Internet Security 2014 - 1 User / 3 Licenses is a very good security solution if you own more than 1 PC. At around $13 to protect each system, it's a good deal also. I installed the software on 3 different PC's. 2 running Windows 8.1, and 1 old system running Windows 7. Each installation went smoothly, and took no more than 1-2 minutes even on the old system. Unlike some other big name security suites, Norton Internet Security 2014 is very light on resources, and has no noticeable effect on the system's performance. It protects against the usual online threats, social media scams, network invaders, viruses, and spam. It has a very good 2-way firewall. It also has utilities to defrag your hard drive, and manage your startup programs to speed up your system at boot.

All in all, Norton Internet Security 2014 is just one of the best security suites available. It offers top notch protection, lots of features, and doesn't even slow down an older system. The price is fair too. I recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars works fine until you need service, January 24, 2014
I am not sure how the best way is for this message to get sent to as many people as possible. I ask that you repost if you feel inclined to do so. The warning is to keep you from getting involved with a company called iYogi. They are the folks who now handle tech calls to Norton Internet Security. Their job is to provide service for Norton but in fact their job is to sell you something you don't need. I have been forced to use them twice and neither time could they identify or help with problems that were quite easy to fix and required only basic knowledge of the products they are supposed to be experts on. SO BEWARE OF iYOGI! Here is my story .... I have been a Norton customer ever since the first time I took a computer online. Never in my life have I experienced the frustration – anger and total incompetence that I have with their service.

The first attempt was when they upgraded Internet Security and the look and feel of the password vault changed. I could not figure out how to close it – as it was not marked. I looked all over their support website to see if I could find it. I gave up and the number I was told to call turned out to be iYogi. Not only was this person’s whose English horrible, he did not have a clue how to help – he seemed totally uninterested in doing so but rather how much he could sell me! He had no idea what I was talking about and I would think surely the techs are trained in Norton software. Hmmm…. Then the invasive software he placed on my computer did not go away as he promised it would as soon as we concluded our conversation.

As it turned out I solved the problem completely by accident and located the little yellow box in the bottom right corner (which BTW is now labeled). At that time I wanted to report this to Norton but when I tried to find a number or an email all I could get was online chat and the queue had 31 people in it, so I let it go.

Two weeks later I went online and I got unwanted pop ups (which are turned off) directing me to site trying to sell me something. I have had this happen in the past and I know it is usually attached to something I have downloaded but I had not downloaded anything recently. Rather than attempt to fix it myself (which I easily did before) I decided to ask Norton about it since it seems this kind of thing ought to be caught by Norton Internet Security. Once more I got iYogi who again downloaded crap into my computer, taking forever. Then they proceeded to sell me their services again. So I am wondering if Norton no longer offers any service for Internet Security or other products – is an outside service company whose agents cannot be understood, their answer to better service?

At any rate I got rid of their invasive software and googled the fix and in 2 minutes it was gone. Again I wanted to complain. I ended up in a chat and because the wait was reasonable, stayed to speak to someone. Clearly the agent I was speaking to was incompetent as well. He/she asked me if my phone number was eurynome_creates@yahoo.com. I knew then and there I had a winner! This person asked me what time I would like to receive a call back from a person in sales and said between 8 and 9 that night (Friday, Jan 10th). I kept my phone handy and waiting for my call.

The call never came. Sunday (the 12th) I went back to the chat and waiting my turn until an agent was available. I told the agent about not getting the call. This agent told me (again) that I would get a call within 24 hours. I told this person that I honestly did not believe this and asked if I could email or call someone. The answer was that was not allowed. So once more I waited and again the call never came.

I went through this entire experience again today (the 13th) and was once more told I would get a call within 24 hours. I was having surgery the next day so needed that call to happen that day but the agent said it could not be promised. He/she did give me an email address. I also told this person that there was no credibility left in anything they might have to say to me.

Since I wrote them (on Monday) - I still have not heard from them and once more never got the phone call or a response to my letter.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Internet security review, November 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Internet Security on 3 computers for several years now, two running Windows 7, and the third Windows 8. I've never had any problem at all.. it just runs in the background and doesn't ever seem to get in the way. My primary reason for choosing it over other security products is the excellent backup utility built into it, which has recovered data flawlessly for me in the past when needed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Norton Delivers Solid Software, November 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I recently switched from Norton 360 Multi-Device to Norton Internet Security and have been using the 2014 version for about one month. Coming from a more robust version of Norton's anti-virus software to this version has proved an easy transition though not one without hiccups.

INSTALLATION:

I received the physical disk format, however, after installing the disk and starting the installation wizard the recommended method was internet download... go figure. So I went along with that route and very quickly >15min downloaded and proceeded installing my software. Strangely the first time I entered my authentication code Norton's site indicated that my code had been previously used. I tried the code again about 20 minutes later and it worked. I should mention that if you have any anti-virus software already installed you should go ahead and uninstall it anyway as Norton will prompt you to do so.

Note that you will be prompted to create an account Norton/Symantec during installation.

USE:

The Internet Security user interface (UI) is very familiar to me. It is basically populated with some easy to identify tiles: 'Secure' (color coded to indicate threats on your machine; green = good; 'Scan Now' which brings up a sub-menu for all types of system security scans; 'Live Update' for downloading the latest security definitions and patches; 'Advanced' for configuration. The tiles also display pertinent information including CPU usage (monitoring for spikes which are an indicator of a potential rogue application) and even when the latest definitions were downloaded and installed. The UI is good, easy to navigate, and unobtrusive.

I have this software installed on 3 machines - my primary desktop that has a SSD, 4-disc RAID storage array, and a networked NAS; along with two laptops all running Windows 7. I've found that Norton has done a great job on each system. Scan times vary, however, on my 300Gb SSD a full scan takes approximately 40-minutes for reference.

As I was already and have continuously used anti-virus software I didn't find any surprises on my systems after running my initial post-installation scans.

USAGE NOTES:

It's perhaps just my impression but it seems that software companies tend to treat their customers a bit poorly on licensing. Norton is no exception. This software is licensed to you, you don't "own" it rather than lease a window of operation. That's fine and something that we've all sort of become accustomed to, however, the major problem is that this software will stop operating completely once it's 365 day operating license (the day you activate the key) is up. Prior to 2010 (as far as I can remember) Norton software would at least keep functioning outside of the subscription period though obviously not getting new updates and definitions.

The bottom line, and this is true for a lot of software and particularly anti-virus software is that you're going to have a costly bill due every year whether from Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee or whatever security company. You can mitigate this somewhat by buying last years anti-virus product. As long as the activation code hasn't been used you should be good to go. Remember that your license period doesn't start on the calendar year but only after the key is activated.

ISSUES:

I don't usually install a lot of extensions in my browser but for some reason went ahead with Norton's Internet Security extension. This was a mistake! I'm a Chrome user and noticed that my browser immediately become slower, and prone to frequent crashes that killed every open tab. I had nothing but issues with the browser extension so I do not recommend using it, especially if you're a Chrome user!

--------------------
CONCLUSION:

Norton delivers another solid release of their seminal anti-virus software. Performance is good, obtrusiveness is kept at a relative minimum. Be wary of renewing online through Norton as you'll always pay top-dollar. Recommended with caveats.

2.0 out of 5 stars Always used Norton for as long as I can remember ..., February 17, 2014
I had so many problems with this product last year (had to re-install it about 4x), I thought for sure I was going with Kapersky. But I wound up getting the 2014. Just "chatted" with tech support who for once I allowed remote access (never do). I told this person DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. He agrees and the next thing I know he's disabling extensions in browsers (that I know are good), of course enables a Norton product extension, went into my Control Panel and was about to delete programs so I stopped him and asked him what was he doing - he did not have my permission to delete programs. Then he's running Norton Power Eraser but couldn't tell me what or where the bad files are but was about to erase themI disconnected him, got rid of temp files, ran several scans from different sources, then ran Power Eraser that found nothing. The problem was I had Norton running aggressively - but instead of checking their own product, he's digging around on my computer to get rid of stuff. Unbelievable. I think this product has gone downhill. I won't ever buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Disaster, December 3, 2013
Installing NiS 14 was a complete disaster. I installed it to replace NIS 2013, which was about to expire. My computer is a Sony VAIO about three years old with Windows 7 Home Premium installed from the outset. This was been a completely trouble-free machine. There is plenty of disc space available. The OS is completely up to date, and NIS 2013 ran just fine. But NIS 2014 brought it to its knees. After suffering for several days, I removed it and the computer works normally again. Removing it was a long, involved process in itself.

I've used Norton for as long as I can remember, but this is the end. There are other products out there that rate as high or higher.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent way to protect your computer & network, November 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used Norton products for years dating back to the old Norton Utilities that was so popular years ago. Over time Norton has changed their products and consolidated them somewhat into what is now called Norton Internet Security. Their current version of their product, Norton Internet Security 2014, is a comprehensive computer protection software that provides a very secure firewall and antivirus protection along with a few other goodies along for the ride.

When you purchase NIS 2014 what you are really purchasing is a one-year license for usage on up to three computers. The software will continue to work after a year, but you will not be able to update it or the virus definitions without purchasing a new license. In exchange, though, a license will enable you to keep the software up to date, including any new versions of the software along with all of the latest virus definitions. In fact, the software can be configured to automatically download and install the newest version of itself. So as long as you keep an active license you will always have the latest software whether it is NIS 2014, 2015, 2016, etc. And this works for up to three computers of your choosing, which in my household is an inexpensive way to protect all of my computers at home.

The product description on Amazon does a thorough job of describing its features, so I won't repeat that in this review. Suffice it to say, NIS 2014 comprehensively protects your computer and your home network against viruses, Trojans, and hackers. It does this without any slowing of computer performance that I can tell on any of my Windows 7 64 bit computers. The software will automatically scan any downloads so you will know they are safe before you can even try to open them. It integrates well with Microsoft Office and will scan emails and attachments to prevent computer attacks by email. It will block any malicious attacks on your computer and quarantine any suspicious files that might contain a virus. Over the years I have come across a few viruses online but all have been caught by NIS before any harm could be done.

My only complaint with NIS is the firewall seems to work too well and prevents me from accessing and transferring files from one computer to another on my home network. I have to temporarily disable the firewall to be able to do this on my network. Norton does not explain the network protection very well so it may just be a matter of needing to adjust configuration somewhere, but I've not been able to figure out to do it so far. But it is easy to temporarily disable either the firewall or antivirus protection, and it will automatically turn itself back on after a length of time you can specify.

NIS contains some other helpful features. One of my favorites is the "vault." The vault will work with your web browser to store passwords in one secure location and will automatically apply them when needed once the vault is opened with your specified vault password. So instead of needing to remember dozens of web site passwords you only need to remember the one that opens the vault. For those with kids, NIS has parental controls that can be used to protect your computers. There is a startup manager that allows you to see all of the programs that automatically start when your computer is booting up and either disable or delay their startup so your computer can boot faster. Handiest of all is the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool that enables you to create an emergency rescue disc that will enable you to boot your computer to a clean operating system even if it is so infected that it can't be booted otherwise. If all else fails this feature will get your computer operating well enough so you can either fix it with Norton's Power Eraser or reinstall your operating system.

Overall, NIS 2014 is a comprehensive program that will help protect your computers from harm while accessing the internet. It does a great job and is very affordable. It makes home networking a little more challenging, which is its only downside in my opinion, but it errs on the side of safety and keeps your computers protected from unwanted access. At the end of your subscription year NIS will repeatedly prompt you to renew your subscription, but I've found it actually costs less just to buy a new version of the software from Amazon. Keep in mind, all you are really buying is just a new license, so it won't matter if you are buying the same software version.

Norton Internet Security 2014 - 1 Year / 3 Licenses
Norton Internet Security 2014 - 1 Year / 3 Licenses by Symantec (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
$79.99 $19.99