4.0 out of 5 stars Good Software, but an Overkill for Most Users
Published 16 months ago by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

1.0 out of 5 stars Compromise on speed.
I thought it would be good to get some additional protection, because of the amount of exposure that I have to the internet, but after installing on my MacBook Pro you could immediately feel the drop in performance from my laptop.

Published 23 months ago by D. Ernstzen

1.0 out of 5 stars Compromise on speed., August 14, 2012

Everything start to run slower. My mouse response was slower, and there was a definite but visible speed change in the time that it took for pages to load. I would not recommend the product unless you absolutely need it. Cannot get a refund as well so I spent $40 for nothing.

Denzil

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for 10.8 Mountain Lion, October 14, 2012
Kenny (Wichita, Kansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norton Internet Security for Mac (CD-ROM)
This does not work, as is, with 10.8. If you bother to view the readme file, it tells you to go to the community (forum) to get help on getting the download installer. The forum is useless. This is a known issue - Norton should have a web page addressed to it, so you don't have to fumble around in the forum!!

Eventually, I got to "Nathan," an automated "chat" automaton, which directed me to download the latest file and use the product key with that version. It worked. Why not just put that info on a web page! What a pain, Norton!

Do not under any circumstances ever give a credit card number to Norton. I have heard that they will automatically renew your license and charge it to your card. I don't know if they still do that or not.

Two stars may be too harsh, but I just now did all this and I might be a little irritated! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Software, but an Overkill for Most Users, March 7, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of the chief selling points of Apple computers is their relatively high level of security. The combination of a highly closed and integrated operating system on one hand and a relatively low market penetration on the other are for the most part sufficient deterrents that thwart the development and the spread of most computer viruses and other forms of malware. Nonetheless, a few highly publicized security breaches in recent years (mostly involving third-party software) have made me want to take additional steps in trying to protect my Mac computers. Norton Internet Security for Mac seemed like a reasonable and comprehensive Mac security software package, and for the most part it worked as advertised.

**** Installation ****

I installed this software package on my old (2009) Mac Mini running OS X 10.8. Because of this I was happy to install it from a CD, but I think for most users with more recent Macs online installation might be a better and more efficient option. The installation was smooth and it didn't take too long. I had it running within 10 - 15 minutes.

**** Virus Protection ****

For this function you essential have two options: a quick scan and a more thorough system scan. The quick scan was indeed very quick - less than half an hour for my 160 GB hard drive. It did find a few viruses, but all of those were Windows-based viruses. It did not find a single Mac-specific virus. The system scan took substantially longer - three full days for both my internal hard drive and an equivalently sized external backup drive. This is probably the kind of scan that you will do one, or maybe once every few months. It came up with just one suspicious file, which was then removed.

**** Background Operation ****

The security software runs in the background, and it supposedly doesn't interfere with your other functions. I personally don't know how true this is, there probably is some slowdown, but I personally did not notice any significant drop in speed of my work.

**** Internet Security ****

The first thing I noticed about the Internet security is that it only works with Safari and Firefox browsers. I use Chrome, and I think Chrome has recently become an overall number one browser for all computer operating systems. (I am not talking about mobile browsers here.) I am not sure if this is due to Chrome's own features (or lack thereof), or if it's Norton's fault, but the effect is the same: it excludes a large proportion of users. I was able to enable the Norton plugin in Safari very quickly and easily. The Safari then acquires and additional Norton tab with a "safe search" input box, powered by Ask.com. I did not use their service in a while, but it seemed like it's doing a decent job of searching the web and presenting their results. The search returns the usual list of websites, but now there are small Norton icons on the side identifying safe sites. You also get the same icons if you use any other major search engine. Most of the sites that I came across in my searches were "green," with perhaps one or two "question" ones. So far I have not come across a single "red," or unsafe, site. I think that the search engines in their own right already do a fairly good job of filtering out unsafe sites.

**** Conclusion ****

I think that as far as it goes this Norton package does a fine job of scanning for viruses and malware, as well as identifying safe and unsafe Internet sites. However, lack of Chrome support, still a relative dearth of Mac-specific viruses, and a single-machine only license make this a bit of overkill for most users. If you value very highly your peace of mind while working on your Mac then this Norton security package will be worth it. For me, though, it doesn't seem like such a great deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for your Mac, January 25, 2012
Christian (Mansfield, MA) - See all my reviews
I have been relying on Norton products for PCs since back when Peter Norton himself was shown on the front of each box. I find the products easy to use, easy to understand, and they have kept me safe from viruses since my first dial up connection circa 1995.

When I bought my first MacBook Pro about a month ago to experiment with Xcode and Objective-C (iPad and/or iPhone development will hopefully follow,) I wondered if I needed to install an antivirus package. But I find myself online with this machine much more than I expected, and I decided to purchase Norton Internet Security so that I wouldn't have to worry.

The installation was a breeze and within 30 minutes I had the product installed and fully updated. The UI is different than my PC based Norton products, but everything is easy to find and the software has been running without any issues. Better yet, my machine is running just as fast as it was before the installation.

My only knock on Norton products is that just after the installation you'll need to run LiveUpdate several times in a row to get all of the latest updates. The Mac installation did not tell me to do this (I am nearly positive the PC Norton 360 installation does) and I needed to run it 3 or 4 times to update every area of the product. But this is a minor quibble. I am very happy with the software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norton ... "Most Improved Product" award, January 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the past, it has been conventional wisdom that Macs don't need antivirus or other protections, since hackers and malcontents generally attack only the more ubiquitous PCs. This is changing, however, with the growing market share of Apple operating systems. Those who use Mac desktops and laptops should not take chances as malware, Trojans, and viruses become more prevalent, sophisticated, and nasty. Enter Norton Internet Security for Mac.

I have been a PC user since the early 1990s, and only recently began my switch to Mac, first with a Mac Mini and now with a Apple MacBook Pro 15.4-Inch Laptop (both wisely purchased from Amazon). I also recently installed Norton 360 Multi-Device on my PC, iPad, and iPhone 5, which, in my opinion, is the best Norton in more than a decade. In the past, my experience with Symantec Norton was as bloatware that slowed my PC and even crashed it at times. Today, Norton gets my personal "Most Improved Product" award for computer security. I've tried many others over the years and, while most of them have been adequate or better (with Kaspersky and Bitdefender at the top and McAfee at the bottom), the new Norton protection programs seem to be seamless, unobtrusive, and competent at doing what they are intended to do. Regardless of what brand you intend to use, I recommend using "internet security" rather than a stripped-down anti-virus-only program. They cost a little more, but as people spend more and more time online, it is an imperative to use comprehensive protection, and I haven't found a better one this year than Norton Internet Security, whether for PC or Mac. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slowed My Less Than Powerful System & May Be Unnecessary, March 9, 2013
Conspicuous Consumer (Georgia Regents University) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While Symantec has, at times, published some top rated Windows internet security software, recent reviews haven't been so glowing (Consumer Reports) and there is little consensus on what works best on the Mac.

I don't mind spending money on good software but I haven't had many (any) threats on my mac and have found free Sophos (protects against virus, trojans, and worms) to have worked fine thus far although it doesn't include a firewall or anti-spyware software. I also use Firefox addons that block as many points of malware access as I can.

At work the school requires some form of internet protection on all connected devices and provides Norton free to all staff, students, and professors to insure that they maintain a safe network.

I installed Norton Internet Security for Mac on an OS 10.7, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB ram system. Installation was straightforward, updates took time but that is not an issue, and it definitely slowed down my system.

What I like about Norton Internet Security for Mac is that it includes a firewall and does search for spyware. But if I don't really need this and it slows down my system, I'm better off without it. I'm uninstalling it.

4.0 out of 5 stars advanced protection for your Mac - easy to install, May 16, 2013
Carol C. "ccjello" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I bought my MacBook Pro a couple months back, the guys at the Apple store told me there was no need for anti-virus or other similar protection. I had Norton AntiVirus software on my PC and had a couple of nasty viruses in the few months before switching over to Mac, so I'm not sold on the effectiveness of Norton products. Nonetheless, when this product was made available on Vine just days after I first booted up my new Mac, I thought I would give it a try.

It was a piece of cake to install. Initially, it indicated it would take 20+ minutes to install but it was done in under 5. There is a 24-page instruction guide on the the disk, but it explained little other than how to install and how to contact customer service.

The box states that the product will automatically detect and remove threats, find and eliminate spyware, identify and block dangerous websites, protect against cybercriminals stealing your identify and money, and prevent hacking. Not sure how exactly it all works -- but so far so good. I haven't noticed any change in speed of my Mac. Nor does the turning circle invade my screen. I haven't experienced any of the issues other reviewers complained about.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why not to buy this, September 3, 2012
This review is from: Norton Internet Security for Mac (CD-ROM)
I bought the software as coaxed directed by Amazon and it will not install on Mountain Lion. Been better if I would have took a lighter to the cash. Asked Apple and they told me to contact Norton for switch. Then Apple genius mentioned that Apples do not need antivirus. I feel ripped off

Want the CD?

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated review after 8 months using Norton Internet Security with OS 10.8.5 running on iMac, March 5, 2013
Updated review on Nov. 3, 2013

I have just uninstalled this entire program. This is something I meant to do for a long time but didn't want to let go of the feeling of being extra protected. Evidence shows it offered no extra protection to me, for my situation.

After running my antivirus history reports and downloading the reports, I see that Norton didn't detect any viruses. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have if I had run into trouble. All it means is that I let it slow down my system noticeably for a sense of protection that history shows I didn't need.

As for the other programs in this suite, they weren't necessary at all because my Mountain Lion software already handles Firewall and Keychain functions. Those parts of Norton were redundant for me.

I just got tired of the spinning wheel. That's all.

1.0 out of 5 stars USELESS PRODUCT!, February 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I guess my sentiments are the same as many of the other reviewers: Do not buy this! Will not work on Mountain Lion 10.8 unless, of course, you get the download installer in the community forum, as stated in the readme file. Well, the problem is that all I did in the community forum was go from one place to another trying to find the download installer. Guess what? I never found it and the forum, at least pertaining to the info I needed, is completely useless. There's no physcial person you can speak to. There's pretty much no guide or tutorial to help you navigate. Thank goodness I didn't pay any money for this.... what a disappointment from Norton!

Norton Internet Security for Mac
Norton Internet Security for Mac by Symantec (Mac, Mac OS 9 and below / OS X / OS X Intel)
$79.99 $24.41