Published 20 months ago by Lynne E.

2.0 out of 5 stars Alpha Quality - A Disappointment
Overview: Norton Mobile Security had the potential to deliver a lot of value, but it stumbles in many areas. Setup is clunky, and the anti-theft features are erratic at best. It performs like alpha (yeah, not even beta) quality software. Read on for more details.

Published 23 months ago by Philip R. Heath

2.0 out of 5 stars Alpha Quality - A Disappointment, March 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Setup: For something that should be simple I found the process of getting the app installed and running to be more convoluted than it needed to be. It involves scanning a QR code, visiting Norton's website, installing the app, and then logging in to the app. While it worked, it was not seamless on my HTC Rezound. Norton's mobile web site maxed out the number of open tabs that the stock Android browser would allow to have open. This is just poor design, and the whole web site portion should be removed in subsequent releases. Luckily, when I went to add it to my Transformer Pad Infinity, I could skip to installing the app and logging in.

Anti-Malware: This works about like your anti-virus software does on your PC. It can be set on a schedule or run on-demand. One thing that is much different from the PC experience is that it runs well under a minute on the mobile devices. For both my Rezound and Infinity Norton didn't find any threats. I wasn't expecting anything, and this also compares with my PC experience. This begs the question: is this adding value?

Anti-Theft: Norton has packed a fairly robust set of features into anti-theft, and some have the potential to be useful in other contexts too. However performance across these is spotty. For example, you can locate your device; however, I have found that the location can get "sticky". I located my device at work yesterday. When I went to locate it again at home, it is still showing the location from work. The "Scream" feature performs better, and it can be helpful if you have forgotten which room you left your phone in. The one drawback is that there is a delay between issuing the command on the web site and when the alarm sounds on your device. It won't help if you are in a hurry, but otherwise it does the trick. The "Lock" feature was hit and miss. On the web site you can set a message that is displayed on the screen of the device, and it requires the code that you can specify on the web site in order to unlock it. It worked fine on my Rezound, but it locked up my Infinity. Fortunately, I was able to send an "Unlock" command from the web site, but I still had to do a hard power off to make the Infinity usable again. The "Sneak Peek" feature takes pictures and uploads them to your Norton account. I'm not sure if it is useful or not, but perhaps this could be helpful in the event that your device is actually stolen. I did not test the "Wipe" feature - I can't imagine anyone would unless they had to use it in a dire situation. So, as you can see, these features have inconsistent behavior.

Backup: I just don't see this as useful. Google already backs up contacts and other settings. My music and other data come from other places that are backed up. The value proposition for this seems rather low.

Web Protection: I found this feature to be quite disappointing. As a matter of course I am a skeptical web surfer, and I avoid suspicious web sites. However, I went hunting for "bad" web sites, and I ran into issues with this software. First, I navigated to a web site I found in a phishing e-mail. It requested my account information for a financial institution that I've never used. The e-mail was full of poor grammar and Non-English characters which also confirmed it's "phishy" status. To my disappointment, Norton did not advise against this site on either my PC or my Rezound. I received the message about a month ago, and I would have expected Norton to know about it by now. To my dismay, there was a web form asking for my account info. I closed the page and moved on. In addition, I find it unacceptable that this feature only works with the stock Android browser. While covering all browsers for Android is unrealistic, it would seem reasonable to at least expect Chrome to be included. Opera, Dolphin, and Skyfire would also seem like reasonable targets. If you aren't using the stock browser, you can forget it. However, my test shows that it might not matter anyway. In the end, the best protection is to not be a trusting person online.

Call Blocking: This is probably the best performing feature in the suite, but that's not saying much. I would like to have seen proactive blocking, i.e. a way to type in a number that you want blocked. However, your only option is to select from your call log as Norton retrieves it. I tested this out by adding my home number to the list. I called my cell from the home number, and the call went directly to voicemail. I also noticed that the blocked call count incremented. I removed it from the list, and the next call went through. This has some value, but it is not enough to justify the cost of the software.

System Utilization: After I saw the issues others had with battery drains, I was curious if the app update on 2/26 was to try to resolve these issues. My experience on both my devices was the battery usage was not a problem. I also noticed little in the way of additional latency or sluggishness of my devices. It's all for naught, however, when you consider everything else I've written already.

Conclusion: Norton Mobile Security reminds me of where Norton's desktop software was about a decade ago or so. I think they are trying to provide useful functionality, but their execution is quite flawed. I cannot recommend this product even for the features that perform adequately. There are less expensive alternatives for call blocking and anti-virus. The other features just don't work.

2.0 out of 5 stars user-unfriendly, March 11, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had Norton antivirus and security (PC) programs for several years and already had an existing account. Bear this in mind in the coming review.

I bought a new Samsung 4G Exhibit phone with Android, and it shipped with the standard already-installed Lookout security program, but I did want to try Norton on this new device.

So, I sent for and got the product, which turned out to be a business-card sized card, on a larger folded card with the QR code and the product key printed inside. To scan the QR code off the Mobile Security card I needed Norton Snap, and to download that I needed to go through Google Play. It took me several tries to download Norton Snap as Norton seemed unable to access my account through the Android (wireless) phone, while, meantime, I had no problem accessing my old account through my PCs.

(Note: the two cardboard cards could have shipped in a business envelope, or a 6x9 envelope at most, more easily. The T-Mobile and other prepaid cards I see in my supermarket are, simply, card stock. Instead, this product comes in a rigid, thick and not "frustration-free" plastic retail-display package. It was difficult to open and had edges sharp enough to chop vegetables with.)

Eventually I was able to scan the QR code and download the Mobile Security program. It took me several tries but I was finally able to register the product, despite the buggy interface.

Norton Mobile Security does seem to have anti-malware and anti-theft (the latter is SMS only, allows me to lock my device). Remote scream, locate your device, sneak peek and wipe-your-device all appear to be Premium upgrades. Norton Apps does allow you to download the Utilities Battery Saver, Ad Detector, Identity Safe and parental controls, all free. Norton Apps also offers, free, Norton Anti-Theft, which does provide lock, locate and find functions for Android phone or tablet, which I had thought came with Norton Mobile Security but apparently requires an additional step, and when logging in to my Norton account, after registering Norton Mobile Security, was told "no license found."

If I want "web protection", call blocking, or backup I have to buy it, via upgrade, it seems, or puzzle out a way of getting Norton to recognize a product license and account I've already filed online with them. Norton Mobile Security seems to be operational on my phone, but I'm not sure if it's doing anything that Lookout isn't already doing. I'm wondering just what hassle or harm the Battery Saver will do, frankly, so I'm not likely to take any more risks.

This product is definitely not user-friendly, even to someone who has had 30 years' experience with PCs and their peripheral devices. I've had a good relationship with Norton products for more than 10 years so I find this a major disappointment. As a disclaimer, I did get this through the Vine program and saved the purchase price but this is one of those occasions when a product review means hassle, considerable time spent, and a risk to my devices. I am not a happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides Good Protection for Android Devices; Doesn't Do Much for iOS Devices, May 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
NORTON MOBILE SECURITY (NMS) couldn't be easier to install--you scan the 3D bar code with any true Android or iOS mobile device (e.g., Motorola Droid Razr, Nexus 7, iPod Touch; but not a Kindle Fire), and follow the prompts. With an Android device, your app will install when you click "download now"; with an iOS device, you'll be taken to the Apple store for the app download. NMS protection for all of your mobile devices (Android phones and tablets; iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) will be in effect for a full year; there is no limit on the number of devices you can add.

For iOS devices, NMS isn't worth much. It installs only two modules: Anti-Theft and Backup. Worse, the Anti-Theft module isn't available on WiFi-only devices. Since I don't own an iOS device with a data plan, I'm not sure whether all the same Anti-Theft options are available for both Android and iOS devices. The Backup module allows you to back up your iOS contacts to Norton's secure server, and to access and manage the backups from the NMS Dashboard after logging into your Norton Mobile Account.

But for Android devices, NMS does quite a few really worthwhile things. It installs the following six modules: Anti-Malware, Anti-Theft, Backup, Call Blocking, Web Protection, and Norton Apps.

***Anti-Malware scans your Android smartphone or tablet for malware, on a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule. It uses definitions downloaded through "Live Update".

***Anti-Theft allows you to use the web or SMS messages to (1) lock your Android device, (2) locate it, (3) scream it, (4) wipe its data, or (5) snap a photo of the person using it.

***Backup will back up your Android device's contacts to the secure Norton server on a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule. You can edit the backups by signing into your Norton Mobile Account and selecting the device from the NMS Dashboard.

***Call Blocking (for Android devices) allows you to enter the name and number of anyone whose calls or texts you want to block.

***Web Protection (for Android devices) blocks fraudulent sites that can steal personal information as you surf the web. The product warns that this module needs a stable network connection to be able to block fraudulent sites effectively. (But surely it's better than no protection at all.) The module also has an option that allows you to proceed to a blocked site if you think the site is safe.

***Norton Apps takes you directly to listings of other free Norton Mobile apps that you can download, such as Norton Utilities Task Killer, Norton Snap qr Code Reader, Norton Spot ad Detector, Norton Halt exploit defender, etc.

All of your devices, both Android and iOS, can be accessed and managed from your Norton Mobile Account (not the same as an ordinary existing Norton Account, although that account will list your NMS purchase). When you sign into the Norton Mobile Account, you see an NMS Dashboard that (1) shows your NMS-protected devices, (2) allows you to change their settings and edit their Backups, and (3) permits you to add new devices. I had a devilishly hard time locating the independent login page for the Norton Mobile account; however, after I installed the Norton Management Agent (as part of Norton Internet Security), I was able to sign into my Norton account and manage the NMS-protected devices from the "My Devices" tab. At present there is no User Manual for NMS, but there is an active NMS User Forum where you can find the answers to many questions.

If my mobile devices were mostly iOS devices, I wouldn't bother purchasing and installing this product. However, because most of the devices that I actually carry around with me are Android devices, I like this NORTON MOBILE SECURITY software a lot. I especially like the Anti-Malware and Web Protection modules, which make me feel safer when using my smartphone or my Nexus 7 tablet to look up things on the web.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complicated Registration, Missing iOS Features, No Protection for HTTP Over Public WLANs, May 15, 2013
Jeff Chambers (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I installed Norton's Mobile Security software on a fairly new iPhone 5. From opening the plastic package with the registration card to activating the service on the iPhone took 30 minutes. The process was complicated and required a series of steps, including downloading software, visiting websites on the mobile device, and entering codes. After the time investment, I was rather disappointed in the security protection features. Overall I would not recommend this service and it was lacking a key feature I expected (I'll explain more below).

Security Features:
- Web protection; didn't block me from browsing suspicious sites (doesn't seem to be available on iOS devices)
- Call blocking; not useful (but also not supported on iOS devices)
- Backup; not necessary due to Apple's built-in iCloud backup (also not supported on iOS devices)
- Anti-Malware: While the process runs silently and quickly, I'm not sure how relevant it is if users are downloading apps from Apple's App Store. I didn't observe any initial benefits of this feature and I'm planning to track effectiveness over the next month and report back here later.
- Anti-Theft; not necessary since iPhones already include the "Find My Phone" cloud app. (not supported on iOS devices)

For you iOS users, be aware that five of the eight major features of Norton's Mobile Security software ARE NOT supported on iPhones and iPads. These incompatible and missing security features include: remote erasing, remote pictures, call blocking, identity safeguards, detection and removal of security threats.

I'm not as familiar with Android devices but many of the purported benefits of Norton's Mobile Security package are either missing or redundant for iOS users. Given these limitations and the consuming registration process, I'd have a hard time recommending this service to an iOS owner.

Note: I was originally planning to install this service on my parent's iPhones. They, like most people, are unaware of the risks associated with using HTTP applications/web sites over public WLANs. I had expected Norton's Mobile Security service to flag (or provide pop-up warnings) to users before connecting to unsecured public WLANs but the feature wasn't there. I recognize that this feature would be tough to implement without writing a new mobile browser application, but perhaps it could be added into Norton's app as an educational module. Using HTTP over unprotected public WLANs is probably the greatest security risk to mobile devices today. Norton should have addressed the risk with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely difficult to use, July 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I struggled with this for about half an hour before giving up. I found it a chore to install, and it had limited to no functionality. I finally got it installed and then couldn't get it to perform any of the functions it was designed for. Nothing would happen at all so finally, I gave up.

I have had a previously owned Norton antivirus product literally destroy a desktop computer so that it was completely dead and had to be disposed of, so I was not surprised that this didn't work as it was supposed to. Removing it is also a real chore. I had hoped Norton had created a useful product here but unfortunately this is not something I can recommend to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars No remote features available for my Galaxy S3, July 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is worthless on my Galaxy S3. I already have Norton Anti-theft installed on the phone and it works as advertised. I already had the free version of Norton Mobile Security and uninstalled it to install this paid version. I should have just kept the free version. When I log into Norton's mobile security site to manage my phone it informs me that EVERY feature is "not supported for this device." So I cannot use: scream, locate, sneak peek, wipe, backup, lock device or send SMS commands. Without any remote features, this is junk and a big waste of my time to install (and the install was time consuming and convoluted as many other reviewers have mentioned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big fat ZERO, July 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Apparently if you do a factory reset on your phone, Norton does not recognize it and won't let you add the SAME PHONE to your account.

1. I installed Norton on my phone and signed up for an account.
2. I reset my phone and had to re-install everything using the same online account.
3. It tells me I already have a phone with the same name (phone's model number) and I have to choose a different name. NO OPTION TO SET IT UP AS THE SAME PHONE. So I change the device name and finish the setup process.
4. Now only the old phone shows up on the Norton website even though I am logged in with the same account this new device name was created for.

There is an option on the website to add a new phone, but all it does is give you the download link for the app.

I deleted the old device from the website in case the system is not clever enough to stop me from adding a 2nd device from the phone when I only have one slot paid for. I uninstalled the phone app, re-installed the phone app and registered it with my online account, and... NOTHING. No phone shows up on the website, even though the app on the phone thinks everything is all fine and registered.

So if you ever need to re-install the app, it apparently will not work again and the app on the phone will not bother to check to verify that it is registered with your online account. The phone app will declare that you are protected, but if your phone is stolen it is not possible to use any of the recovery features.

2.0 out of 5 stars Norton Mobile Security - Still Needs Work, May 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Norton Mobile Security 3.0 - 1 User (12 month subscription) does not live up to the advertised benefits that it promises. Sadly, this has been in keeping with several new products that have been targeted towards mobile devices. There are enterprise class products that do effectively provide some of these features. But for the home user, I have not found a reliable alternative to recommend in lieu of this.

The anti-malware component does seem to work ok. For comparison's sake, I have been using an analogous product from Trend Micro and this one seems to work as quickly as that one. I haven't gotten "under the hood" to see exactly what threats it is looking for. But it does scan quickly and seems comparable to alternatives.

The setup process is a little convoluted for such a simple product. But once you jump through all the necessary hoops it installs reliably on Android devices.

The remote security features seem to lag. That makes it hard to have confidence that a remote wipe would work. Sad to say I have had to wipe my phone before. So I know what an important feature that is. Remote locking did seem to work, but anybody who is knowledgeable and has your phone in hand will probably be able to get at critical data with enough time.

Sadly, I am also not a fan of Norton's subscription model. In this case, this product has not been installed long enough for me to tell. But they have updated desktop products to disable themselves at the end of the subscription, instead of just to stop updating. And given the intended use for this product, that is a concern.

CONCLUSION

This is a good idea, but it falls somewhat short of what I am looking for. I hope that Norton continues to update the product. Already they have improved some features with updates, including call blocking. Still they have a long way to go.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trust the negative reviews, sadly., June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sadly, the negative reviews seem to be correct on this product. It is too clunky, too superfluous and too tacked-on and thrown together. I uninstalled the product as best I could not too long after installing it. If there was a benefit I didn't see it. Sadly, Norton just isn't what it used to be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, July 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Chances are, if you are accessing the web these days, you are on a mobile device like a tablet or smartphone. So the danger of downloading virus and malware is there, but somehow, it may not occur to the average user that this activity is just as dangerous for your device or for your personal information as being on your PC.

The four areas that Norton Mobile Security cover are Malware (malicious programs) Call and texting blocking, theft and location, and web security.

But is this software "all that"? Maybe not.

The best function is the lost or stolen device remote lock and locate. It also has a "scream" function so you can locate a lost phone at home. The cutest function is the ability to take a remote photo of your thief (though it would depend on the battery being charged up, of course.)

Call or text blocking is merely from a list of existing contacts or someone who calls you and you stored their number. (I had one silly person keep calling me for dates--she had written the number down incorrectly for the object of her affections. NOTHING I could text back could convince this gal I was a sixty year old woman, not her twenty-year old hottie.) Blockeroonie time. But of course this won't block new calls from new idiots you didn't have the previous displeasure of knowing.

The worst is that this doesn't really have great web security; it only works on the native Android browser, not any other.

I think this needs a few revisions and added features to be really great (like supporting other browsers.)

Norton Mobile Security 3.0 - 1 User