Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NoseFrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Size: No Additional Hygiene Filters|Change

on December 2, 2010
my wife has tiny nostrils. i can't fit any of my fingers in her nose...it's amazing she can breathe through her nose at all. consequently, our son is also lacking in the nostril-diameter department. he gets boogies...he can't breathe very well...he gets upset. it's been like that since he was born, whenever that was...recently. i forget, but i digress. we came home from the hospital with a pretty decent nose-sucking bulb...it did a reasonably OK job of sucking out boogers...and was reasonably firm and springy. but then our dog ate it. so, i tried to find a replacement. not all bulbs are created equal, i soon found out. some were too hard to squeeze and didn't spring back quickly enough. others were too soft to suck anything out and just sat there, mocking me. i tried at least four different replacement bulbs, none of which were as good as the one from the hospital. we even tried a fancy battery powered nose vacuum that made a whirring sound but produced nary a single lump of green gold. while ordering the various, useless bulbs i also ordered this thing - the nosefrida - on a whim thinking i was probably wasting $13.

BOY WAS I WRONG.

this thing works. it sucks boogers out of noses. it even stores them in a little tube to eat later. or, you can just wash them out in the sink. anyway...it works better than any of the other things we tried...and we tried pretty much everything. there's a technique to it:

- suck in quick short bursts with your mouth muscles first...to loosen things up
- then, suck in long hoover-style bursts to get those boogies out
- if the boogies get stuck near the surface, try pulling the end of the thing out a little mid-suck a few times
- use a tissue or q-tip to get any nose goblins that are loitering anywhere accessible
- repeat

if i was a professional booger sucker...and it was my job to suck the snot out of noses 8 hours a day, i would insist on using this thing. but i would want a longer tube, and a holster.
139139 comments|4,455 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2007
This picture confused me because I thought that the large blue box was part of the Nosefrida. It is the just the case. There is a red mouthpiece, clear tube, blue filter and clear...I'm going to call it the "applicator" that you put up to the baby's nose.

I examined the nosefrida for a long time before trying it out on my four month old. I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anyway for snot to end up in my mouth. 14 hours of labored breathing, the baby's-not mine, I decided to give the Nosefrida a go.

Darn if that little disgusting contraption doesn't work! And I know it works because I could actually see the snot collecting in the tube. Yes, I gagged a little, but baby could breathe! And after all, isn' that what they teach you day 1 in parenthood?
Day 1. Make sure baby can breathe.

I still think you'd have to be pretty close to someone to give this as a baby shower gift. No one wants to think of snot on their happy day.
3838 comments|1,620 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
No, seriously, just buy this thing. It sounds gross but WOW does it work. The bulb syringe just pisses the baby off and does absolutely nothing in terms of clearing their nose. This thing also pisses my baby off, but it actually gets the snot out. And believe me, when your baby has a cold and can't nurse, won't sleep and nothing will work, you will be very grateful for this item. Many mom friends of mine have rejected the thought of this thing until their little one gets all stuffed up -- then they call me "What was the name of that thing? I NEED one!" Disgusting, but oh so satisfying. I wish I had one of these with my older two kids.

The other thing is that I never felt like the bulb syringe was clean. I mean how do you wash the inside? With this I know I've rinsed all the funk out. It's really a great item. Just buy it.
99 comments|202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2014
I know what you're thinking. I know EXACTLY what you're thinking. I thought the same thing when my husband told me about this "awesome thing he saw somewhere" that allows you to suck the snot out of your baby's nose with your mouth. Ummm, excuse me? No. Well, it finally happened: my husband was right, and I was wrong.

1 or 2 little "baby colds" later, half a dozen restless if not completely sleepless nights later, I sent him out to purchase this miracle tube. And miracle it is, my friends.

First of all, it's not as disgusting as I first thought. It's not like siphoning gas - the snot isn't going to fly up into your mouth. Check out the picture. The snot is collected into a tube at the baby's nose, and then you blow it back out into a nearby tissue or wipe. And unlike the infamous "bulb syringe", this works.

Picture this: You're up in the middle of the night because baby is snoring and grunting. He can't breathe. Again. You lay him down on the changing table and grab the bulb syringe and depress it, and stick it into his nose. It slooooowly regains its shape and sucks out a bit of snot. You depress it again. By this time your baby is screaming like he's being squashed by an elephant. The problem with the bulb thingy is that it doesn't always "suck" fast enough, leaving you with a screaming baby. Enter nosefrida: You grab it and place the end of the tube into the baby's nose. You suck quickly. BAM! You can see what's coming out. You see your progress. Within 5 seconds, your baby's airway is clear and you pick him up to comfort him.

It's easy to clean. It's transportable. It's ready whenever you need it. It's fast-acting. This thing ROCKS.

Oh, and don't act like you're grossed out by this review.. If you already have a baby, no doubt you have seen and read things much, much grosser. And if you don't have one yet, well, let's just say that your conversation topics and amazon searches will become totally shameless, and snot is the least disgusting thing you will experience and talk about.

To address other reviewers' germ concerns: I'm just cracking up at the number of 1-star reviews saying, "I GOT THE EXACT SAME COLD AS MY BABY OMG!!" Don't let being afraid of breathing your baby's exhalations that you don't order this. You're going to be all around his sicky germs regardless of what aspirator you use.
55 comments|1,013 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2010
I got this snot sucker based on the other Amazon reviews and I have not been disappointed. My daughter recently came down with her first cold and I found myself in need of a good snot sucker. I was using the bulb syringe that I was given at the hospital- it seems to be getting some mucus, but I felt like there was still a lot in her nose that could come out. The Nosefrida has been much more effective at removing mucus from my baby's nose, or at least it seems like it.

The Nosefrida seems a little gross when you first look at it- it seems like you'll be sucking snot right into your mouth! Once you use it, though, you realize that you would have to collect a lot of mucus in the large tube before it would even reach the filter and tubing. I haven't used a motorized aspirator, but it seems like the Nosefrida would have the advantage of having more suction (at least when I do it) and it doesn't have a noisy motor. One thing that I love about this aspirator is that you can see all the mucus you get in the tube. Sounds gross, but it is very satisfying to see all the progress you've made and to know that you've removed it from your poor baby's nose. Then it is very easy to clean- just remove the collection tube from the smaller tubing, run under warm water, and a little soap. Done.

My daughter hates the aspirator, of course. She hates anything that involves cleaning, wiping, or otherwise messing with her face. She's a baby- this is to be expected. So I don't base my review of this product on her reaction. I love it, and deep down I know she appreciates me getting the snot out of her nose.
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2011
Like most other parents who use this thing, I was a little taken aback at the idea. Really? Sucking the snot out? After childbirth, it seemed I'd paid my dues on the ick factor. Thankfully I was humble enough to believe others knew something I didn't.

I'd tried using the utterly useless bulb syringe on my infant's tiny, tiny nose, but--just as with my first baby--I was astonished we've continued to pass these out to parents for so many years. Even the smaller ones designed to be more user-friendly were still totally ineffective. And every parent knows the misery of comforting a tiny baby who simply can't breathe while she tries to nurse. It's pitiful.

Enter the Nosefrida. The tip is designed in such a way that it would be impossible to push it too far into the baby's nostril even if she jerks suddenly and forcefully, and it completely covers the nostril opening, allowing for a great suction. And here's my reassurance to those of you still a bit squeamish: if you hooked this thing up to a Dyson vacuum cleaner, you still wouldn't be able to get baby snot up near the filter, let alone into the tube leading to the mouthpiece. Instead of the usual squirming and fighting, my baby actually seemed bemused by the whole thing. And here's the best part--it works EXPONENTIALLY better than any other product I've ever tried on either of my children.

Here are some tips that I've figured out after trial & error:

1) If possible, have the baby's head upright. Gravity is your friend.

2) If the mucous is thick, place a few drops of sterile saline or breastmilk (no, seriously--look it up and be amazed) into the nose for a minute. It helps loosen things up, although your baby will not be amused.

3) If your baby is still enough to allow you to do this, angle the tip just slightly toward the ear, rather than straight up the nose. Took me awhile to figure out that since the sinuses are slightly off to the side, this would get much better results.

4) Use several shorter inhalations to clear the nose rather than one major attempt. That seems to work more effectively and upset the babies a bit less.

I've already bought several of these for friends, and every one of them, after asking if I was joking, has come to declare this one of the best baby products they've ever used. Undoubtedly, the Nosefrida would be one of my top 10 baby supplies on the Stranded on a Desert Island List.
33 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2011
My son is 8.5 months old. Here is my review of each product.

Hospital bulb nasal aspirator:

I find the bulb style aspirator so hard to get in his nose and then when it is there I feel like I am scratching the inside of his nostrils when he moves. Then it seems to take FOREVER to inflate and then suck the snot out of his nose. Technically, you are supposed to cover the other nostril to made the suction work but that isn't practical at all! It will take some snot out, but I always feel like there is some left. It seems fairly sanitary, although we are talking about something to remove snot.

Graco Nasal Clear Nasal Aspirator:

I really wanted to like this product. It sounded fancy with the music and the battery operation. But even with using saline solution I was never able to get much out of my son's nose. And I used it multiple times. I actually found that the bulb aspirator worked better. And the music just meant he knew when the snot remover was coming so he freaked out more. Awesome!

Nosefrida:

So finally after many attempts with other products and desperate for sleep, I went out and bought this product. I'll admit I've only used it today (I'll try to post an update after using it for longer) but I LOVE IT. Best $$ spent on a baby product ever!

I had someone hold the baby, although many reviews here have figured out ways to do it with one person. I put some saline solution in. I waited a few minutes for it to work. I put the blue end at the tip of my son's nostril (NOTE: Not inside the nostril like most work) and sucked at the red end. And like magic, tons of snot came out. It was glorious!! Of course he was upset, but I only had to do each side once and it was over fairly quickly, at least compared with when I used the bulb. I cleaned it with soap and water and since no snot ever came close to the filter, I think I can use it again. Although I think the box suggests that you change it each time. I have never been so excited about snot in my life. My baby can breather, he is finally able to nurse and he is now soundly sleeping.

Now some people have commented here about catching germs using this product and such. That may be true. I'll let you know if I get sick. But frankly, being well rested and eating well are your best defenses against illness. And we all know that you can't sleep if the baby doesn't sleep. And the baby can't sleep if he can't breathe.

Until I find something better, this is by far my favorite nasal aspirator. Happy snotsucking!

**UPDATED** February 4, 2015

I am about to purchase my third Nosefrida for use on my third child. We still love this product for very stuffy noses on small children who can't quite blow their nose yet themselves. I still have the other two products mentioned above and sometimes pull them out to see if I still like the Nosefrida better. And the Nosefrida is still the most effective at getting out snot! I haven't noticed that I get any sicker than normal but who knows. Thanks for reading!
0Comment|230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2011
Let me preface this by providing some background into my extensive experience with baby & child mucous. (No joke.) I have been a pediatric ICU nurse for 5 years and in that job, trust me you do a lot of suctioning of mucous from little noses and mouths. That being said, we used a nasal aspirator or catheter connected to wall suction (over 100 mmHg of suction pressure!). So when I had my baby and he got his first cold, I found the home suctioning equipment (bulb suction, or battery-powered piece-of-junk nasal aspirator) to be seriously lacking in effectiveness. My other nurse friends at work who have babies told me to try the Nose Frida, and at first I refused on the basis that I thought it sounded gross. Then I got desperate and looked into it. I watched a YouTube video and read about the filter, and suddenly it didn't seem so gross. So I bought it. And...I LOVE IT! It's very effective at cleaning out boogies and very thick snot from my babies nose. My baby hates it, but that's to be expected. If you encounter a baby who voluntarily allows his/her nose to be suctioned, then you need to rush them to the ER and have them evaluated for mental status changes---seriously. The best way I have found to hold him down for suctioning is demonstrated in the YouTube video as well. He will cry but be strong--this is for his well being-- and the more aggressive you are, the better he will be able to breathe afterward. Then you can do hugs and kisses (but wipe off the residual snot from his face first with a Boogie-Wipe--I like the grape scented ones). The end. (Hope this helps somebody.)
0Comment|223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2013
I put this on my Amazon baby registry, and imagine that... no one got it for me!

I bought this for myself...and since then, I've decided this is going to be my gift of choice for baby showers! It's an awesome gift for ANYONE. At first, I was hesitant about buying it for people who I know are squeamish when it comes to "gross" things...like...sucking snot out of their baby's nose... But no need to worry.

The snot doesn't even come one bit close to the filter when you use it...at least not visibly. You see that clear/bluish main chamber with the narrowed end (that goes into the baby's nostril)...most of the snot stays in that narrowed end section. And just in case it doesn't, there's that handy dandy filter to protect your taste buds!

I've used this thing MANY times on my little one. And yes, he HATES it! But you know what...he HATES that blue bulb syringe they give you in the hospital just as much! So take your pick. Tick off the baby and get out the boogers w/ this amazing nosefrida... or tick off the baby...over and over again because that blue bulb syringe thing just isn't working...

It's great when your baby has a simple runny nose. I've discovered that it also works real well even when your baby has all those hard crusties in there...like my teething tot does now in the cold winter months. The opening is big enough to suck out the chunkies too.

It's been a cinch to keep clean and sterile. After every use, I rinse it in hot water, and all the gunk cleans right out...especially with my sink sprayer if I need a little extra water pressure. And then every now and then, I sterilize it. It's also very easy to clean the rest of it too. It's nice because each piece (the mouth piece, the connecting piece, the filter, and the snot chamber) all disconnect and reconnect easily.

I'm not going through the filters as quickly as I thought I would. (Originally, that was a concern of mine because I didn't want to end up spending a bunch of money on the refill filters.) Honestly, I don't change the filter after every use. I change it every couple of uses...depending on how much snot I was getting out, how often I'm using it that day, so forth. I'm pretty certain that the additional 20 filters I got with it will last the entire time needed for one child.

Overall, great bang for your buck! Highly recommended!
on September 30, 2014
Three stars because it works. I am a toxicologist, I should have known better. The filters might prevent the snot from going into the tube, but there is no way it can prevent bacteria and germs. However, I thought ~3,000 positive reviews must mean something. I was already sick when I used this on my son. You will do anything to give your child some relief. I ended up with the worst cold ever and almost ended up in the ER.

Pros: The tip works so well because it creates a nice seal on their little noses. I mean this thing WORKS.
Cons: Parents need to be as healthy as possible to take care of their kids. This thing will definitely transfer airborne bacteria and virus.

My solution: I cut off the tip and use it with the Graco Nasal Aspirator. Pictures have been added.
review image review image
22 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse