4,411
Size: No Additional Hygiene FiltersChange
Price:$15.12 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,481 of 1,528 people found the following review helpful
on December 10, 2007
This picture confused me because I thought that the large blue box was part of the Nosefrida. It is the just the case. There is a red mouthpiece, clear tube, blue filter and clear...I'm going to call it the "applicator" that you put up to the baby's nose.

I examined the nosefrida for a long time before trying it out on my four month old. I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anyway for snot to end up in my mouth. 14 hours of labored breathing, the baby's-not mine, I decided to give the Nosefrida a go.

Darn if that little disgusting contraption doesn't work! And I know it works because I could actually see the snot collecting in the tube. Yes, I gagged a little, but baby could breathe! And after all, isn' that what they teach you day 1 in parenthood?
Day 1. Make sure baby can breathe.

I still think you'd have to be pretty close to someone to give this as a baby shower gift. No one wants to think of snot on their happy day.
3838 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
3,884 of 4,044 people found the following review helpful
on December 3, 2010
my wife has tiny nostrils. i can't fit any of my fingers in her nose...it's amazing she can breathe through her nose at all. consequently, our son is also lacking in the nostril-diameter department. he gets boogies...he can't breathe very well...he gets upset. it's been like that since he was born, whenever that was...recently. i forget, but i digress. we came home from the hospital with a pretty decent nose-sucking bulb...it did a reasonably OK job of sucking out boogers...and was reasonably firm and springy. but then our dog ate it. so, i tried to find a replacement. not all bulbs are created equal, i soon found out. some were too hard to squeeze and didn't spring back quickly enough. others were too soft to suck anything out and just sat there, mocking me. i tried at least four different replacement bulbs, none of which were as good as the one from the hospital. we even tried a fancy battery powered nose vacuum that made a whirring sound but produced nary a single lump of green gold. while ordering the various, useless bulbs i also ordered this thing - the nosefrida - on a whim thinking i was probably wasting $13.

BOY WAS I WRONG.

this thing works. it sucks boogers out of noses. it even stores them in a little tube to eat later. or, you can just wash them out in the sink. anyway...it works better than any of the other things we tried...and we tried pretty much everything. there's a technique to it:

- suck in quick short bursts with your mouth muscles first...to loosen things up
- then, suck in long hoover-style bursts to get those boogies out
- if the boogies get stuck near the surface, try pulling the end of the thing out a little mid-suck a few times
- use a tissue or q-tip to get any nose goblins that are loitering anywhere accessible
- repeat

if i was a professional booger sucker...and it was my job to suck the snot out of noses 8 hours a day, i would insist on using this thing. but i would want a longer tube, and a holster.
133133 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 29, 2014
I know what you're thinking. I know EXACTLY what you're thinking. I thought the same thing when my husband told me about this "awesome thing he saw somewhere" that allows you to suck the snot out of your baby's nose with your mouth. Ummm, excuse me? No. Well, it finally happened: my husband was right, and I was wrong.

1 or 2 little "baby colds" later, half a dozen restless if not completely sleepless nights later, I sent him out to purchase this miracle tube. And miracle it is, my friends.

First of all, it's not as disgusting as I first thought. It's not like siphoning gas - the snot isn't going to fly up into your mouth. Check out the picture. The snot is collected into a tube at the baby's nose, and then you blow it back out into a nearby tissue or wipe. And unlike the infamous "bulb syringe", this works.

Picture this: You're up in the middle of the night because baby is snoring and grunting. He can't breathe. Again. You lay him down on the changing table and grab the bulb syringe and depress it, and stick it into his nose. It slooooowly regains its shape and sucks out a bit of snot. You depress it again. By this time your baby is screaming like he's being squashed by an elephant. The problem with the bulb thingy is that it doesn't always "suck" fast enough, leaving you with a screaming baby. Enter nosefrida: You grab it and place the end of the tube into the baby's nose. You suck quickly. BAM! You can see what's coming out. You see your progress. Within 5 seconds, your baby's airway is clear and you pick him up to comfort him.

It's easy to clean. It's transportable. It's ready whenever you need it. It's fast-acting. This thing ROCKS.

Oh, and don't act like you're grossed out by this review.. If you already have a baby, no doubt you have seen and read things much, much grosser. And if you don't have one yet, well, let's just say that your conversation topics and amazon searches will become totally shameless, and snot is the least disgusting thing you will experience and talk about.

To address other reviewers' germ concerns: I'm just cracking up at the number of 1-star reviews saying, "I GOT THE EXACT SAME COLD AS MY BABY OMG!!" Don't let being afraid of breathing your baby's exhalations that you don't order this. You're going to be all around his sicky germs regardless of what aspirator you use.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2011
Like most other parents who use this thing, I was a little taken aback at the idea. Really? Sucking the snot out? After childbirth, it seemed I'd paid my dues on the ick factor. Thankfully I was humble enough to believe others knew something I didn't.

I'd tried using the utterly useless bulb syringe on my infant's tiny, tiny nose, but--just as with my first baby--I was astonished we've continued to pass these out to parents for so many years. Even the smaller ones designed to be more user-friendly were still totally ineffective. And every parent knows the misery of comforting a tiny baby who simply can't breathe while she tries to nurse. It's pitiful.

Enter the Nosefrida. The tip is designed in such a way that it would be impossible to push it too far into the baby's nostril even if she jerks suddenly and forcefully, and it completely covers the nostril opening, allowing for a great suction. And here's my reassurance to those of you still a bit squeamish: if you hooked this thing up to a Dyson vacuum cleaner, you still wouldn't be able to get baby snot up near the filter, let alone into the tube leading to the mouthpiece. Instead of the usual squirming and fighting, my baby actually seemed bemused by the whole thing. And here's the best part--it works EXPONENTIALLY better than any other product I've ever tried on either of my children.

Here are some tips that I've figured out after trial & error:

1) If possible, have the baby's head upright. Gravity is your friend.

2) If the mucous is thick, place a few drops of sterile saline or breastmilk (no, seriously--look it up and be amazed) into the nose for a minute. It helps loosen things up, although your baby will not be amused.

3) If your baby is still enough to allow you to do this, angle the tip just slightly toward the ear, rather than straight up the nose. Took me awhile to figure out that since the sinuses are slightly off to the side, this would get much better results.

4) Use several shorter inhalations to clear the nose rather than one major attempt. That seems to work more effectively and upset the babies a bit less.

I've already bought several of these for friends, and every one of them, after asking if I was joking, has come to declare this one of the best baby products they've ever used. Undoubtedly, the Nosefrida would be one of my top 10 baby supplies on the Stranded on a Desert Island List.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2011
My son is 8.5 months old. Here is my review of each product.

Hospital bulb nasal aspirator:

I find the bulb style aspirator so hard to get in his nose and then when it is there I feel like I am scratching the inside of his nostrils when he moves. Then it seems to take FOREVER to inflate and then suck the snot out of his nose. Technically, you are supposed to cover the other nostril to made the suction work but that isn't practical at all! It will take some snot out, but I always feel like there is some left. It seems fairly sanitary, although we are talking about something to remove snot.

Graco Nasal Clear Nasal Aspirator:

I really wanted to like this product. It sounded fancy with the music and the battery operation. But even with using saline solution I was never able to get much out of my son's nose. And I used it multiple times. I actually found that the bulb aspirator worked better. And the music just meant he knew when the snot remover was coming so he freaked out more. Awesome!

Nosefrida:

So finally after many attempts with other products and desperate for sleep, I went out and bought this product. I'll admit I've only used it today (I'll try to post an update after using it for longer) but I LOVE IT. Best $$ spent on a baby product ever!

I had someone hold the baby, although many reviews here have figured out ways to do it with one person. I put some saline solution in. I waited a few minutes for it to work. I put the blue end at the tip of my son's nostril (NOTE: Not inside the nostril like most work) and sucked at the red end. And like magic, tons of snot came out. It was glorious!! Of course he was upset, but I only had to do each side once and it was over fairly quickly, at least compared with when I used the bulb. I cleaned it with soap and water and since no snot ever came close to the filter, I think I can use it again. Although I think the box suggests that you change it each time. I have never been so excited about snot in my life. My baby can breather, he is finally able to nurse and he is now soundly sleeping.

Now some people have commented here about catching germs using this product and such. That may be true. I'll let you know if I get sick. But frankly, being well rested and eating well are your best defenses against illness. And we all know that you can't sleep if the baby doesn't sleep. And the baby can't sleep if he can't breathe.

Until I find something better, this is by far my favorite nasal aspirator. Happy snotsucking!

**UPDATED** February 4, 2015

I am about to purchase my third Nosefrida for use on my third child. We still love this product for very stuffy noses on small children who can't quite blow their nose yet themselves. I still have the other two products mentioned above and sometimes pull them out to see if I still like the Nosefrida better. And the Nosefrida is still the most effective at getting out snot! I haven't noticed that I get any sicker than normal but who knows. Thanks for reading!
on November 13, 2011
Let me preface this by providing some background into my extensive experience with baby & child mucous. (No joke.) I have been a pediatric ICU nurse for 5 years and in that job, trust me you do a lot of suctioning of mucous from little noses and mouths. That being said, we used a nasal aspirator or catheter connected to wall suction (over 100 mmHg of suction pressure!). So when I had my baby and he got his first cold, I found the home suctioning equipment (bulb suction, or battery-powered piece-of-junk nasal aspirator) to be seriously lacking in effectiveness. My other nurse friends at work who have babies told me to try the Nose Frida, and at first I refused on the basis that I thought it sounded gross. Then I got desperate and looked into it. I watched a YouTube video and read about the filter, and suddenly it didn't seem so gross. So I bought it. And...I LOVE IT! It's very effective at cleaning out boogies and very thick snot from my babies nose. My baby hates it, but that's to be expected. If you encounter a baby who voluntarily allows his/her nose to be suctioned, then you need to rush them to the ER and have them evaluated for mental status changes---seriously. The best way I have found to hold him down for suctioning is demonstrated in the YouTube video as well. He will cry but be strong--this is for his well being-- and the more aggressive you are, the better he will be able to breathe afterward. Then you can do hugs and kisses (but wipe off the residual snot from his face first with a Boogie-Wipe--I like the grape scented ones). The end. (Hope this helps somebody.)
on February 11, 2010
If you are continuing to torture yourself and child with an old fashioned bulb suction stop now and buy this device. This helps your new born breathe and sleep better in less time than it takes to clean one nostril with a squeeze bulb. This is my first review with my first child and I recommend this and wish I had seen it sooner. It would have been more rest for the baby and more peace of mind for us parents.
on February 4, 2015
My baby's pediatrician told us to buy this product, specifically, and toss our ineffective, germ-trapping, mold-growing nasal aspirators (like the kind the hospital sends home). So I knew I would buy it; my biggest question was whether or not I needed to buy the combo-pack that came with a zillion extra filters or not. I'll answer that, as well as highlight some other product features/thoughts.

1. I am glad we didn't buy 20 extra filters! They were only a few bucks, so you can't really go wrong either way, but I doubt we'll be needing any more in the foreseeable future. The Frida comes with 4 filters, so you have spares. I think the Frida says something CYA-ish like "change filter with each use," but the snot has NEVER come up the tube far enough to get even remotely close to filter. It really just stays close to the tip down there. Perhaps there are a few children with exceptional (literally) snot to this scenario or older children with copious amounts of mucous, but I can't see that being the case very often. Some reviewers have even reported rinsing out the filter and, while I don't see why that wouldn't work, my opinion is that these filters last so long that IF you manage to dirty your filter, it's probably time to throw it out and use a new one just for the heck of it. I've had mine for at least 2 months, probably 6-10 uses, and am still using the first filter. I hope that helps; it was hard for me to find a definitive answer about filter longevity from reading the reviews so I wanted to answer thoroughly.

2. I thought the concept of "sucking" up my baby's nasal congestion didn't bother me at all; I felt very insulated from the grossness because of the long tubing and filter (...and I'm a nurse). So I was shocked when I went to use this for the first time and nearly gagged. It was a little hard to get used to mentally, but after just two or three uses, it didn't even faze me anymore.

3. So easy to clean. Just take it apart and wash or rinse it. It's also dishwasher-safe (top rack). Doesn't get easier than that. There's no way you're getting one of those hospital-style aspirators clean. EVER.

4. Despite being a germaphobe, I didn't bother to sterilize this before it's maiden voyage. It comes clean from the package, it has minimal contact with my baby (and zero internal/mouth/hands contact), and it's sucking up SNOT for goodness sake. It's not exactly a sterile procedure to begin with, but it can't hurt to sterilize or toss it in the dishwasher if you feel better that way. But if you're wondering if you're a horrible parent for using it straight from the box...I don't think it's a big deal. I certainly didn't see the hospital nurses boiling my baby's aspirator before they shoved it down her orifices.

5. The biggest question is DOES THIS WORK? Well...YES. Thin or thick, this gets them all!

-Sucking by mouth (rather than squeezing that horrible bulb) allows sustained suction long enough to actually grab the boogers (well, til you run out of breath). Even if you only get them partially out of the nose, you can easily wipe them away with a soft kleenex; but its actually not hard to get ALL the goopies out.

-You can SEE if you're getting boogers out because the chamber is CLEAR. (Don't you hate the guessing game with the bulb suctions, trying to gauge by the slurpy sound whether you're making any progress in there?)

-You can control the force of the suction, so you're not accidentally sucking your kid's brain out or giving them a partial lobectomy when you release the bulb.

-And you can wiggle the tip around at different angles (again, visualizing which angles are getting the snot out as you do it). You can't do that with the bulbs because trying to release bulb pressure while navigating the tip is too hard. But the tubing separates the suction from the tip enough that you can maneuver the tip without compromising the suction.

6. Does baby hate it? Mine doesn't love it, but she doesn't hate it either. Sometimes she squirms and fusses or cries, sometimes she's pretty calm. But regardless, if you've ever had a baby that won't sleep or won't eat or won't stop crying because she can't breathe, pissing her off for a harmless 60 seconds is so worth it when she takes a deep breath, stops crying, smiles a little bit, and eats or sleeps or coos. It's "all natural," plus there really aren't many medications you can give an infant.
on December 14, 2012
When I'm able to get my toddler to sit still and stop screaming, it works really well. Mine came with fewer filters than stated, but amazon resolved the problem. Don't use the dishwasher for the part that says dishwasher safe: it isn't. For that reason I took off a star since it no longer stays sealed without holding it together manually. I would have hand washed everything if it hadn't said dishwasher safe for the part that goes next to child. Hand wash!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This item works in its basic mechanics and is reasonably easy to clean. However there are some logistic difficulties in practical use - to use, the open end of the tube needs to be held at the baby's nostril while you aspirate from the other end. In my experience if only one parent is doing this, it is very difficult unless the baby is keeping still. Even asleep, ours turns her head away when she feels this against her nose.

Otherwise, holding this apparatus in place with a flailing screaming baby can be a recipe for disaster with any aspirated snot flying everywhere from the open tube end. It is easier to use if two people are there, one to hold the baby and the other to operate the Snot Sucker but this is not always convenient or possible.

Couple of other things to keep in mind - the edge of the opening is fairly sharp and can break the skin around the baby's nose if you're not careful. Our pediatrician also said not to aspirate too hard as that can lead to a bloody nose. Also, always have a wad of tissues or some other receptacle ready to place under the open end of the tube when you're done aspirating. I wish this came with a little cap to put on the end of the tube to contain the snot till it can be washed out.

In short, this does get more snot out overall than the little nose bulb we got from the hospital but it is not as easy to use, especially if there isn't someone there to hold the baby still.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations