5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the price - highly recommened - see video review
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:53 Mins
Published on July 28, 2011 by TJ

3.0 out of 5 stars The thinner the chocolate, the better!
This fountain has trouble with thicker liquid chocolate. Eventually cloggs and stops running due to the fact that it's not strong enough, so make sure you use a fairly thin type of liquid chocolate.
Published on July 14, 2008 by Elizabeth F

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the price - highly recommened - see video review, July 28, 2011
TJ (Southaven, MS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nostalgia Electrics CFF986 3-Tier Stainless Steel Chocolate Fondue Fountain (Kitchen)
Length:: 2:53 Mins

See my video review for more details and see it run. Like many of you, I found reviews on both sides of the fence. I was really a little nervous getting this because our party was the day after it arrived and "what if it is does not work". Well, this things works great. We did NOT use expensive chocolate. My wife used the regular chocolate chips (24oz) and 3/4 cup of oil. Heated it in the microwave first, then stirred it up and poured it in the fountain base.

This is NOT a high dollar piece of equipment. The base is not a solid stainless steel base, but rather a very thin sheeting of some type wrapped around the plastic base. But come on, this thing was only $50. For the money it worked perfectly and it will likely provide good food entertainment at many other gatherings to come. I did not find clean up to be a big deal. Some folks made it seem like near impossible. I simply rinsed the pieces with hot water to get the bulk of the chocolate off and then washed them by hand. The pieces all fit together quickly and nicely as you see in the video.

I just can't see how anyone could give this a 1 star. If you get a lemon (and they certainly exist), then get a replacement. Someone mentioned that this product was a little loud. You can certainly hear it run (see video) but it just becomes part of the room noise when you get people in the room. When there are just two people standing there watching it run, you think, "wow, that is a little loud" but in any function where this would be used there will likely be quite a few people and they will be talking. They won't even notice the noise.

If you are in doubt, let me help you. Get one, you will be pleased. At least I was!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Hit, January 27, 2007
Okay, I guess this must be the "better" version of the Nostalgia line (mine is a CFF-980). I received mine as a gift for Christmas and wondered what everyone else thought about theirs. There were so many bad reviews (on other versions) that I began to get worried mine was a piece of junk too. I wanted to use it for a party next week and so I decided to pull it out and see how bad it really was.

I tried to use water so I didn't have to make a mess(a suggestion from another comment) and it didn't work. Nothing was coming out! I finally broke down and used the chocolate/oil mix. When I first turned it on, the auger clanked really loudly against the tower. I turned it off and checked to see if it was level and it was clearly un-level. After I leveled it properly, the chocolate flowed beautifully.

The clean-up was simple. I heard so many complaints that this thing is very hard to clean. I didn't find that to be true. I took the tower and auger off and soaked it in soapy water while i discarded the chocolate. I took a sponge and cleaned the tower and auger. I used the water sprayer on my sink to get inside the tower. I used a baking spatula to wipe most of the chocolate from the bowl. Then wiped it once with a paper towel and finished by using a soapy sponge. Cleaning the parts took less than 10 minutes (not including drying).

The only thing I suggest is to put a mat or towel under the fountain because dipping into it causes drops of chocolate to land on the table. Also, be sure to follow the instructions! The most important part of the entire thing is leveling it correctly. It took me about 10 minutes to level it properly.

The sound is not bad at all. It is much quieter than I was led to believe. It is quieter than any kitchen appliance I own. I don't even have anything to compare it to. It sounds like a fan blowing...that is the closest thing I can come too. I LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price!!!, December 26, 2010
This was a big hit at our christmas party and will be a big hit during the new years party as well I am sure. This is an auger style fountain which has a switch for the auger and a switch for the heating element. The heating element does get the chocolate very warm and noticed that after about 4 hours of constant running, the chocolate was starting to thicken. We used "Ambrosia Real Milk Chocolate Coating" which we melted down in microwave and added vegetable oil so that it flowed better in fountain. 2 of the 3 foot pads are screw style adjustable so that you can level it out as needed. The tier's are made of durable plastic so should last for quite ahwile.

Tip: The inner section where the auger is placed is hard to clean with just a wash rag. Suggest buying a baby bottle brush. Also, this is placed on 3 plastic pegs which the holes for the pegs get filled with chocolate. Q-tips seemed to work well for cleaning these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding chocolate vs compound for fountains, March 5, 2014
Here’s a bit of information regarding chocolate and compound that works in fountains and what is required. Merkins, Wilton, Nestles w/oil, the stuff at Michaels - all of it is a compound meaning it's not real chocolate. It is primarily sugar and partially/fractionated hydrogenated palm kernel oil with no more than 17% cocoa (usually much less if any) and is designed to harden quickly. A true chocolate has cocoa and cocoa butter. A compound lacks cocoa butter, which is the expensive ingredient in chocolate. It is also the natural ingredient that allows it to flow in a chocolate fountain when it contains enough. Chocolate fountains need what is called a couverture chocolate in order for the chocolate to be viscous enough for it to flow in fountain. A couverture chocolate is defined as having between 32-39% cocoa butter, but there’s a catch. If the couverture chocolate does not have at least 38% cocoa butter or more it will not flow though a fountain. You will have to add a bit of oil to it to thin it out so that it will flow. When you add oil to a chocolate it becomes a compound. To give you an idea, Callebaut is the world’s largest chocolate manufacturer and an excellent one at that. A lot of Nestle’s chocolate is simply Callebaut chocolate private labeled. Callebaut makes a dark and milk chocolate 811 and 823 and while it’s a couverture chocolate it only contains 34% cocoa butter. It’s a couverture chocolate, but it is not designed to flow in a fountain. Couverture chocolates, by the way represent the highest quality chocolate you can buy. Now, Nostalgia, Helman and I think a few other fountain manufacturers have a little coupon in the box with the fountains they sell requesting that you use a chocolate made by Sephra and they’ve set up a discount for you to use this brand of chocolate. The reason for this is simple, it works right out of the bag. When you buy a compound another compound it may be labeled as “fountain ready,” but it’s primary design for use in molds and figurines, not for the express purpose of being viscous enough to flow in a fountain. There’s lots more to talk about on this subject, but I hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent ! Love it!, November 25, 2011
Cchezypoof (Fairfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was worried about keeping the chocolate fountain running for a couple of hours because of the noise it would make but to my surprise... its really quiet! Loved it and it kept the chocolate at a perfect temp. Would definitely recommend. 2 big thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good addition, April 12, 2013
I really like the fountain but the chocolate is really expensive. So I just melted 2 pounds of almond bark and it cost a third the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, March 23, 2011
Works great. Wonderful product. Does everything just as described and easy to put together. Not too bad to clean either. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, April 9, 2008
great for parties! chocolate became thick after a few hours, but it was an easy fix!

3.0 out of 5 stars The thinner the chocolate, the better!, July 14, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Small Events, September 15, 2012
I bought this chocolate fountain for my best friend's bridal shower (about 40 guests). Used twice so far. This fountain was inexpensive but nice, and perfect for what I needed. Easy set-up and fairly easy to clean if you are near a sink. It runs great, but you have to make sure the fountain is completely level before you start it. You also need to keep it full for the chocolate to flow properly (I needed 2.5 lbs. of chocolate and had to put another 1 lb. in it during the shower). The motor ran well and didn't stop or overheat at all. Overall, good purchase.